PDA

View Full Version : Maloney and J. Smith recalled, Cabrera activated

Danny Serafini
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Per team press notes

sabometrics
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
You had to post this the second I bumped the old thread. L-O-L.

cumberlandreds
09-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Ah....the reinforcements are here. :)

Homer Bailey
09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Good news all around. Cabrera in the lineup tonight? Do we think?

guttle11
09-03-2010, 03:02 PM

I would imagine. If they wanted him to just be depth for a while he could have been activated a couple days ago without going to Dayton for a game.

cumberlandreds
09-03-2010, 03:03 PM

I would think so. I don't think Janish has had an inning off since Cabrera has been out. He has to be a little winded at least.

edabbs44
09-03-2010, 04:37 PM
I would think so. I don't think Janish has had an inning off since Cabrera has been out. He has to be a little winded at least.

Not sure if that will make a difference either way. OCab is your primary starter the rest of the way, most likely.

membengal
09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Bless the September roster expansion, bullpen depth and fresh arms no longer a concern...

Big Klu
09-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Barring a rash of injuries, that is probably all for reinforcements--with the exception of players like Nix and Edmonds getting healthy and coming off the DL.

NDRed
09-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Bless the September roster expansion, bullpen depth and fresh arms no longer a concern...

I know it works out well for the Reds but I think changing the rules- roster expansion- at the most critical time of the year is about the most absurb rule in all of sports.

Next to the NFL tuck rule that is.

membengal
09-03-2010, 05:34 PM
The rule is what it is, and I am glad for once it works in Cincy's favor.

OnBaseMachine
09-03-2010, 05:34 PM
More news: Johnny Cueto didn't make the trip to Cincinnati.

John Cueto did not accompany Reds to St. Louis. Absence due to "serious family issue." Brandon Phillips back in lineup after wrist boo-boo.

Reds insist Cueto's absence totally unrelated to this series. No details yet offered on family issue. Mgr. Baker may elaborate later.

http://twitter.com/JoeStrauss

lollipopcurve
09-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I know it works out well for the Reds but I think changing the rules- roster expansion- at the most critical time of the year is about the most absurb rule in all of sports.

I don't see a problem with it at all, except in some kind of abstract way. Every team's got a bunch of young guys who should be able to provide reinforcements at the end of a long season. Helps teams get through that last month, avoid injuries and get some of the youngsters acclimated to the majors.

lollipopcurve
09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
John Cueto did not accompany Reds to St. Louis. Absence due to "serious family issue." Brandon Phillips back in lineup after wrist boo-boo.

Reds insist Cueto's absence totally unrelated to this series. No details yet offered on family issue. Mgr. Baker may elaborate later.

I hope it's nothing too serious. If Reds are fudging this so he can avoid the nastiness that surely awaited him, I think it's a good move.

Brutus
09-03-2010, 05:48 PM
I definitely don't think this has anything to do with the St. Louis series. He already isn't pitching this weekend, so really there's no reason for him to not be there.

Tony Cloninger
09-04-2010, 01:37 AM
I don't know why people....like BOb Costas...have such a problem with September call ups. You get to have help and show how good of an organization you are with your depth.

If anything....a brutal sport like football should have a 60 man roster where everyone suits up.

Topcat
09-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Simply put it is the romance of the game. The enduring the grind and well crazy like letting your child ride a bike without a helmet. It is a reminiscing of days gone by. Tough players who ground it out and endured magical but painful seasons of glory.

NDRed
09-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Simply put it is the romance of the game. The enduring the grind and well crazy like letting your child ride a bike without a helmet. It is a reminiscing of days gone by. Tough players who ground it out and endured magical but painful seasons of glory.

To me expansion of rosters changes the rules of the game and again, at the most critical point of the season. Its like saying you can have 7 fouls instead of 6 for the last month of the NBA season.