PDA

View Full Version : Cueto Leaves Team for Family Emergency

redsfan_12
09-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Per Fay: johnfayman: Cueto left the team to attend to a family emergency. He's back his start Tuesday. Could use Volquez if he's not. #reds

justincredible
09-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Hopefully nothing too serious. Under better terms I'd be happy he's not going to actually be in St. Louis this series since he isn't needed there.

bshall2105
09-03-2010, 07:53 PM
This seems like an extremely convinient time for a family emergenecy.

foxfire123
09-03-2010, 08:04 PM
methinks they left him home in Cincinnati on purpose. Probably for the best for at least this go-round.

Old NDN
09-04-2010, 12:13 PM
This seems like an extremely convinient time for a family emergenecy.

Agreed. And if that's the case, they should have left Phillips to help him, based on last night's performance.

mckbearcat48
09-04-2010, 12:42 PM
On another board, it was mentioned that Cueto's uncle was shot in the DR. Don't know of the veracity of that report, but if it's true, let him take care of family stuff while he's not scheduled to pitch.

GIDP
09-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Yea how convenient for his uncle to be murdered. Stay classy fellas.

Fullboat
09-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Yea how convenient for his uncle to be murdered. Stay classy fellas.

No kidding! bad things never happen at a convenient time.

mckbearcat48
09-04-2010, 02:22 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/r/24877129/detail.html

Link to story of the funeral at least.

foxfire123
09-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Ok, I apologise. I thought it was a bit of smoke and mirrors to keep him out of
St Louis for this go round. My condolences to Cueto and his family.

GIDP
09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I think they would have just said he was sick if they wanted to blow smoke.

foxfire123
09-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I think they would have just said he was sick if they wanted to blow smoke.

True, but you have to admit, without the additional information, the timing was making any excuse questionable.

Vottomatic
09-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Classy thread with abundant conspiracy theories.

Sad news. My condolescences to the family.

takealeake
09-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Classy thread with abundant conspiracy theories.

Sad news. My condolescences to the family.

Agreed. Maybe the 3rd or 4th time this year people want to act like the team is hiding something. First Votto was out a few games, and some idiots thought it was some sort of conspiracy about him really going into depression or anxiety or something. Then Rolen was out with a hamstring problem and some idiots said they were hiding a more problematic back injury. Now Cueto's uncle dies and some insensitive losers assume the worse again. You would figure some of these tools would cut their losses and stop acting like the team is hiding things for absolutely no reason to do so.

mckbearcat48
09-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I apologize for shooting down any theories. As a Cardianl fan, I was skeptical like you, but this seems like a legit emergency.

redssince75
09-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Agreed. Maybe the 3rd or 4th time this year people want to act like the team is hiding something. First Votto was out a few games, and some idiots thought it was some sort of conspiracy about him really going into depression or anxiety or something. Then Rolen was out with a hamstring problem and some idiots said they were hiding a more problematic back injury. Now Cueto's uncle dies and some insensitive losers assume the worse again. You would figure some of these tools would cut their losses and stop acting like the team is hiding things for absolutely no reason to do so.

Uh, IF it's an uncle dying, that's not something I've ever heard a major leaguer leave his team for during the season. Both the facts (an uncle died) and the conspiracy (it's a very convenient excuse to keep Cueto from going to St. Louis) can be true. Sounds like to me they both are.

takealeake
09-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Uh, IF it's an uncle dying, that's not something I've ever heard a major leaguer leave his team for during the season. Both the facts (an uncle died) and the conspiracy (it's a very convenient excuse to keep Cueto from going to St. Louis) can be true. Sounds like to me they both are.

Wow. Are you serious? A family member dies who was probably very close to Cueto the way it sounds, and you're JUDGING how much of a big deal it is to him or not? REALLY?

Unbelievable. And for what? The fact of avoiding all of Cueto sitting on a bench in St. Louis when nothing was going to happen to him anyway? Really, you need to stop thinking too much really. Or think more possibly, one or the other. Because what you just said is just plain dumb and disrespectful. How about one of your family members dies and we can have people on here decide for you whether or not it's a big deal to you or not.

redssince75
09-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Wow. Are you serious? A family member dies who was probably very close to Cueto the way it sounds, and you're JUDGING how much of a big deal it is to him or not? REALLY?

Unbelievable. And for what? The fact of avoiding all of Cueto sitting on a bench in St. Louis when nothing was going to happen to him anyway? Really, you need to stop thinking too much really. Or think more possibly, one or the other. Because what you just said is just plain dumb and disrespectful. How about one of your family members dies and we can have people on here decide for you whether or not it's a big deal to you or not.

It's not a JUDGMENT to say that professional athletes don't leave their teams for several days when an uncle dies...it's just an observation of historical fact.

takealeake
09-05-2010, 12:10 AM
It's not a JUDGMENT to say that professional athletes don't leave their teams for several days when an uncle dies...it's just an observation of historical fact.

And how would you know that? You keep up with the bereavement list on a daily basis? Whether it's his uncle, friend, or 3rd cousin doesn't matter. How many times a year do players leave teams for family members that are close to them who have passed away during the year. A lot. And so has Cueto.

Kiss the Baby00
09-05-2010, 12:16 AM

you are probably a white midwestern american. i doubt you are familiar with how latinos and their family are. the whole family, extended members and all are usually very close. that being said. i can see how cueto was very close to his uncle and a sudden death would require his attention. do you have a list of MLB players who have uncles die and the percentage of which players leave the team and which players go to the funeral?

R_Webb18
09-05-2010, 12:19 AM

ur clueless

redssince75
09-05-2010, 12:28 AM
ur clueless

Perhaps, but more likely ur na´ve.

ThornWithin81
09-05-2010, 01:09 AM
True, but you have to admit, without the additional information, the timing was making any excuse questionable.

This is baseball. It is a sport. If Cueto goes to St. Louis he gets booed and jeered... that's it. The timing doesn't make "any" excuse questionable. Do you really think the Reds would leave him in Cincy just to avoid some boos? If that was the case, why is Phillips starting every game?

Come on. This thread is full of Sundeck.

Vottomatic
09-05-2010, 03:55 AM

It was stated on WLW that this particular Uncle had a huge impact in raising Johnny. A father figure, so to speak.

I've seen basketball players hit hard by the death of grandmothers who raised them.

None of this is uncommon.

I found your comments disrespectful.

ThornWithin81
09-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Why is so difficult to believe that an uncle could have a profound and emotionally important impact on someone's life? Furthermore, what does "historical fact" relating to family deaths in Sports have to do with ANYTHING?

Even if no athlete - ever - has been emotionally devastated by the death of an Aunt or an Uncle (And no matter how adamantly you assert this, you cannot possibly prove this to be true throughout the entire scope of modern athletics) why does that immediately place suspicion upon Cueto leaving the team for a Family emergency during this particular series?

The phrase "Get a grip" comes to mind.

redssince75
09-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I found your comments disrespectful.

Without regard to whether Cueto's departure was on the up-and-up or not....unless Cueto or his relatives read Sundeck, absolutely no one's comments on this internet message board are disrespectful.

Vottomatic
09-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Without regard to whether Cueto's departure was on the up-and-up or not....unless Cueto or his relatives read Sundeck, absolutely no one's comments on this internet message board are disrespectful.

Everyone on page 2 of this thread was offended by your comments, pretty much.

Easy for you to say.

Quatitos
09-05-2010, 12:39 PM

You sir have no basis to stand on with this statement until you actually have some factual statistics showing the amount of MLB players who had an uncle die, and then how many of them took time off because of it. Your whole basis is on your very limited and highly biased set of your observations. You are indeed making a judgement because you honestly have 0 facts supporting you. You haven't even done the bare minimum of naming 1 MLB player who had an uncle die and did not leave the team to be there for the funeral. You are free to your opinion, but do not label your OPINION as a "historical fact."

On the other hand I do believe your opinion is wrong because hiding Cueto for 3 games he would not be playing is just an asinine thing for a team to do. No team would resort to this and the fact that it was an uncle who had a large part in raising him should give you a good enough reason to rethink your comments.

Accept that you might have been wrong in your initial assumption and that there are more facts presented since you formed your initial opinion and accept that your statement was very disrespectful in light of these new facts.

Brisco
09-05-2010, 02:51 PM
You sir have no basis to stand on with this statement until you actually have some factual statistics showing the amount of MLB players who had an uncle die, and then how many of them took time off because of it. Your whole basis is on your very limited and highly biased set of your observations. You are indeed making a judgement because you honestly have 0 facts supporting you. You haven't even done the bare minimum of naming 1 MLB player who had an uncle die and did not leave the team to be there for the funeral. You are free to your opinion, but do not label your OPINION as a "historical fact."

On the other hand I do believe your opinion is wrong because hiding Cueto for 3 games he would not be playing is just an asinine thing for a team to do. No team would resort to this and the fact that it was an uncle who had a large part in raising him should give you a good enough reason to rethink your comments.

Accept that you might have been wrong in your initial assumption and that there are more facts presented since you formed your initial opinion and accept that your statement was very disrespectful in light of these new facts.

I started typing a response, but Q, you have already said just about everything I wanted to say. I just want to add that a sudden, tragic death often pulls in more extended family then, say, a prolonged lost battle to cancer.

One final thought... I am a white midwestern American... but I wiped out our savings to fly our seven member family accross the country after my wife's aunt died of cancer... spending the only free days I had this summer after returning from a mission in Africa helping her husband settle their affairs. I do not think Latinos have a monopoly on placing family first, Kiss the Baby.

redssince75
09-05-2010, 05:15 PM

Easy for you to say.

Offended by a suggestion that a family "emergency" doesn't sound much like an emergency? Offended? Really?

I had no idea the sundeck's collective skin was about a millimeter thick, but I'll be aware of that going forward.

Brisco
09-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Hmmm... we have the sensitivity to be bothered by an allegation that a player/team we root for used the murder of his uncle to their advantage in a GAME...

Dude, ya said something stupid, we all do it, me more than most... but when you get called on it, just say oops and drive on.

ThornWithin81
09-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Easy for you to say.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not offended by what he said. I just think it was an idiotic thing to think or say.

Nothing offensive... just stunningly dumb. :beerme: