PDA

View Full Version : Cards fan thrown out of game tonight....

mattfeet
09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
For tossing back a foul ball! Hahaha.

How much is Phillips disliked here? A foul ball behind first base dugout was just thrown back on to field. Fan got ejected from game. #reds

-Matt

redsfan_12
09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Thats awesome lol. First time iver ever seen a foul ball thrown back

GIDP
09-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Deserved it.

AintlifeGrande
09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
He shouldnt have got tossed though.

GIDP
09-04-2010, 01:46 AM
He shouldnt have got tossed though.

Pretty sure throwing onto the field of play gets you tossed, especially if its stopping the flow of the game.

ThornWithin81
09-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Throwing something onto the field, ball or otherwise, needs to always be an ejection.

Well, outside of the outfield at Wrigley and ONLY Wrigley, IMO.

Swampturkey
09-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Pretty sure throwing onto the field of play gets you tossed, especially if its stopping the flow of the game.

Oh it's an MLB rule. They made an announcement at Busch last night in the half inning before Phillips' 3rd at bat saying, "ladies and gentlemen, we would like to remind you that it's an MLB rule that any fans who throw objects onto the field will be immediately ejected" or something along those lines.

Had I caught the foul ball, I would have handed it to a fan who was yelling at me to throw it back. :)

DocRed
09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Oh it's an MLB rule. They made an announcement at Busch last night in the half inning before Phillips' 3rd at bat saying, "ladies and gentlemen, we would like to remind you that it's an MLB rule that any fans who throw objects onto the field will be immediately ejected" or something along those lines.

Had I caught the foul ball, I would have handed it to a fan who was yelling at me to throw it back. :)

Well if they made the announcement before he did it and then he threw the ball out anyways the guy is an idiot and deserved to be tossed.

justincredible
09-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Well if they made the announcement before he did it and then he threw the ball out anyways the guy is an idiot and deserved to be tossed.

The guy was an idiot regardless. Throwing back a foul ball? Come on.

texasdave
09-04-2010, 06:06 PM
He did not get ejected from the park for throwing the foul ball back. He got tossed for that 'weenie" throw of his. He embarrassed an entire city.

BurgervilleBuck
09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Big League Stew has a blog entry (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Rejected-Cardinals-fan-throws-back-Brandon-Phil?urn=mlb-267407) on that and has good evidence for why throwing any ball back on the field is a stupid idea.

DocRed
09-04-2010, 07:12 PM
He did not get ejected from the park for throwing the foul ball back. He got tossed for that 'weenie" throw of his. He embarrassed an entire city.

Not true, because if that were the case half of the Cardinals pitching staff would have been tossed as well.

shan12stones
09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
yes and the cards fans boooed when that announcement was made.

R_Webb18
09-04-2010, 11:25 PM
do you get thrown if u throw a homer back? b/c people do it all the time?

Swampturkey
09-06-2010, 09:49 AM

no, the announcement was made before Phillips' 3rd at bat. The foul ball was thrown back during his 2nd at bat.

GIDP
09-06-2010, 11:15 AM
do you get thrown if u throw a homer back? b/c people do it all the time?

Doesnt stop the rate of play.

jhc2010
09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Every person in that section was pleading for him to throw it back. I don't see how he couldn't do it.

GIDP
09-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Hand it to someone else

justincredible
09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Every person in that section was pleading for him to throw it back. I don't see how he couldn't do it.

I quit giving in to peer pressure when I was, I dunno, 16 or so.

Defacto
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Another fan was thrown out against the Brewers today.

texasdave
09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Marty reported that Dave Duncan got tossed. Anyone know if that was true and why?

GIDP
09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Marty reported that Dave Duncan got tossed. Anyone know if that was true and why?

probably complaining about balls and strikes like he does every time he opens his mouth.

Defacto
09-08-2010, 12:02 AM

I can confirm it. It was about balls and strikes. Also, Macha and Dickerson were ejected as well as a fan.

Girevik
09-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I think it's kind of silly to throw out a fan for tossing back a foul ball, but glad it happened to a Cardinals fan.

Does anyone else HATE when you see a fan at GABP throw back an opposing player's home run ball? That's an old Cubs tradition, and I think we can do better than stealing from our rivals.

GIDP
09-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I think it's kind of silly to throw out a fan for tossing back a foul ball, but glad it happened to a Cardinals fan.

Does anyone else HATE when you see a fan at GABP throw back an opposing player's home run ball? That's an old Cubs tradition, and I think we can do better than stealing from our rivals.

Like buying one of those mini bats and hitting it back

redssince75
09-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Doesnt stop the rate of play.

Uh, how's that? Seems like retrieving a home run ball from the outfield would take even more time than retrieving a foul ball from the infield, slowing down play even more.

The whole thing is just stupid, he shouldn't have gotten kicked out. However, the whole tradition of throwing back "offending" opponents' balls is just stupid as well. I would be in favor of throwing everyone out of every stadium who did this if it wasn't named Wrigley Field.

GIDP
09-08-2010, 10:00 AM
after a home run, the player rounds the bases, goes into the dug out, the next batter steps to the plate, gets set, then the pitcher does his thing. A couple of minutes passes before the next pitch is thrown.

On a foul ball, the next pitch is being thrown within 10 seconds.