PDA

View Full Version : I was at...(sundeck version)

redsfanmia
09-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I really like this thread in the org so I thought I would start a sundeck version.

What game that you were in attendance really stands out as a special memory or as an important game in Reds history.

I will start:

I was at the game that Lou threw first base into right field.

I was at the Kyle Farnworth vs Paul Wilson game.

I was at the game that Johnny Bench hit his second to last home run.

I was at the 1988 all-star game and still do not like Whitey Herzog to this day for not letting Sabo bat.

I was at all of the play-off games in 1990.

BurgervilleBuck
09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I was at Homer Bailey's first game.

Not baseball but I was at the Bengals game when Sam Wyche said, "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati."

arkimadee
09-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I was at the game adam dunn struck out 3 times and hit a solo homer.. oh wait.. that was every game from 2001-2008

Reverend Doo-Rag
09-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Some game in the early 80's against the Expos when there was a fight, a grand slam, and rain

O'Niell hit 3 hrs

Ozzy Smith's last games, a double header in Cinci

The recent Reds Cards fight

The Reds' record when I attend games has to be something like 5-35

justincredible
09-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Votto debut.
Bailey debut.
Stubbs debut.
Chapman debut.
Chapman game 2 and Alonso debut.

I can't remember any other notable games.

BigPoppa
09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I was at the game adam dunn struck out 3 times and hit a solo homer.. oh wait.. that was every game from 2001-2008

well played, sir..............................:D:beerme:

BigPoppa
09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I was at Travis Wood's MLB debut.

I was at Manny Ramirez' first game in Cincinnati following his 50 game suspension.

Sean_CaseyRules
09-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I was at the game where Danny Graves broke the all-time Reds save record.

I was at the come-from-behind win against the Indians, with the Walk-off Grand Slam by Dunn.

Other than that, I don't think anything major.

Vottomatic
09-04-2010, 08:32 PM
I was at one of Rob Dibble's earliest games where he struck out the side on 9 pitches.

Then he told his teammates to suck it up and they beat the crap out of him.

GIDP
09-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Mark Whiten hitting 4 home runs in a game. Only been done 15 times in history of baseball.

arkimadee
09-04-2010, 08:44 PM
I was at the Rangers game last week where the guy got his paraschute stuck on a flag pole!!

RedLegsToday
09-04-2010, 09:02 PM
I was at Ron Robinson's 8.2 inning perfect game in 1988
I was at Game 2 of the 1990 World Series
I was at the game where Adam Dunn hit his first major league hr (have the scorecard somewhere still)
I was at a game in Chicago where, I believe, Austin Kearns hit his first major league home run.

Eric in IL
09-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I was at the Chris Sabo corked bat game.

I also witnessed Eric Davis' last at-bat in Cincinnati. It was as a pinch-hitter when he was with the Giants. Most of the crowd got a sense it was the end of the road for Davis and gave him the standing ovation he deserved.

Eric in IL
09-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I was also at the game when Adam Dunn hit his 500+ foot home run into the river. I was sitting along the 3rd base line and lost sight of the ball once it was obviously a home run. I asked the guy next to me where the ball landed. His response: "It didn't."

smoke6
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
This will take some thought.......
I was at the first game ever in GABP.

I was at Johnny Cueto's MLB debut, 1 hit the DBacks.

And there the day Aaron Boone had 3 jacks vs the Cards....

All I have for now.

Natty Redlocks
09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
The only game I've gone to this year was that ugly shutout loss to San Diego on April 24th. Dusty refused to talk to the media and had a team meeting instead. They won the next day, shuffled the lineup and won like 22 out of their next 31. In other words, I was there for the low point of the season, just before the turnaround, and now I'm afraid to go to another game, as it would definitely cause the beginning of an historic collapse.

I was also there opening day 07 to see Josh Hamilton line out to left in his first MLB at bat.

mroby85
09-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Ohio State vs. Michigan 2006

Reds vs. Cardinals civil rights game

Reds vs. Cardinals fight

Adam Dunn walkoff vs. Cleveland

Farnsworth/Paul Wilson fight

CrosleyField
09-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Old Yankees Stadium June 20, 2008 Volquez was on the mound and Votto hit a homerun

JB5
09-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I was at the game where Jim Maloney had a hitless nine-inning performance in 1965 on June 14 against the New York Mets. This game lasted through 10 scoreless innings, but New York's Johnny Lewis led off with a home run in the 11th inning. Maloney lost the game 1-0.

stevekun
09-05-2010, 07:40 PM
I was at the game where Griffey hit number 599 against the Braves.

BRM13
09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm getting old so I can't really remember them all, but here are a few notable games:

I was at a game in 1971. I don't think there was anything special about this game except this was the first game I ever got to go to and I can remember only 3 things clearly. First, we sat pretty low in the green seats behind first base--great seats. You couldn't buy single game seats there again until the mid 1980s after the Big Red Machine got popular. Second, the Reds lost to the Astros. Third, Pete Rose went from first to third on a single and dove head first into 3rd base. I can still see it like it was yesterday: the crowd rising as one in anticipation of Rose's slide and the huge roar when he was safe. I had no real idea what was going on but it was so exciting I was absolutely hooked and have been to literally hundreds of Reds games since.

I was at the first game of the 73 playoffs when Johnny Bench won the game with a homerun in the 10th (off Tom Seaver I think). We were in the upper red seats in left and as a little kid the ball seemed to disappear about 500 feet below me. :)

I was at a doubleheader (that's two games in one day for one price, kids) in the late 70s where George Foster hit 3 homeruns against the Giants.

I saw Foster hit a red seat homerun sometime in the late 70s.

I was at a great game in the mid 80s between the Reds and Mets where Eric Davis and Ray Knight got in a fight at 3rd base. The game went extra innings and Jesse Orosco played some right field between batters. The Mets eventually won, but it was tremendously entertaining. :thumbup:

In the late 1999 I got to throw out the first pitch before a Reds/Cubs game for winning a fantasy league--none of you will remember that game but my daughter remains impressed to this day and that's worth a lot. :D I could never top that so I retired undefeated...

I took my son to his first game in the early 2000s and a very nice fellow gave us two seats a few rows behind the Reds dugout. That night Adam Dunn hit a ball down to the river. Unreal. Longest home run I've ever seen in person.:beerme:

I was at a game this week where Aroldis Chapman threw multiple pitches 103 mph on the scoreboard radar gun. I think we will all be telling Chapman stories in the future, so I'm getting mine in early. ;)

Off the baseball topic, I was at an IU basketball game late in Bobby Knight's tenure where he managed to get 3 technical fouls called on him by Ted Valentine. You are automatically ejected after two, so he got the third after he was already out of the game--but had refused to leave until he had his full on tantrum for the home folks. He could really put on a show. :eek:

I spent a lot of time at IU during the 1980s and 1990s so I was there for lots of Knight stuff, but this and the chair throwing game are the two that really stand out for people.

texasdave
09-05-2010, 11:57 PM
First game played at Riverfront Stadium.

Mutaman
09-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Yankee Stadium 1976. Bench hits two home Runs, Reds sweep the evil Yankees. A very good night.

skywalker
09-06-2010, 12:23 AM
bench hit 3 bombs off steve carlton

gedred69
09-06-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm an old man and have been to a lot of games, but the standouts:
In 1961 while the Reds were rushing to the pennant, my Dad took me to a Double header against the Giants, and watched Wille Mays crush like 3 HRs, in a Reds double loss.
In 1963 I saw a brash, cocky rookie Pete Rose make his MLB debut.
In 1972 my Dad, and me sat forever through a rain delay, to see Bench hit "the Homerun" in the bottom of the 9th, 5th game NL playoffs against the Pirates.
In 1976 2nd game of the WS, my Dad and me sat shivering in the cold, to watch NY walk, (it was either Morgan or Foster I think), to face Tony Perez. The pitcher/hitter stare was legendary. Then Perez hit the game winner. This one still gives me chills......
In '77 I was at Perez's 1st game at Riverfront not wearing Cincinnati Red.
I was at Griffey Jr's. 1st game as a Red in Spring Training as well as Opening Day.
GABP first game.
I was at Homer's debut, and this year at Chapman's debut.

My fondest hope is that this year I will be at every home playoff and WS game at GABP to see another "Champions of Baseball" wearing Cincinnati Red.

adampad
09-06-2010, 01:34 AM
I was at the 99 tiebreaker.

I was at the game when Ryan Freel got 3 standing ovations and made the greatest catch I've ever seen.

I was at Wily Mo's Bobblehead game, where he hit 2 homers including the walk-off.

George Foster
09-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Game 1,2 1990 world series. Eric Davis' homerun first inning off of Dave Stewart... Joe Oliver's walk off hit scoring Billy Bates...

Other than the guy that saw Bench beat the Yankees....I'd say I'm #2...:D

gilpdawg
09-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Saw David Ross hit into a triple play against the Phils.
The Civil Rights game this year.
The Cards brawl.
After all the games I've been too over the years, I never saw a successful suicide squeeze until a few weeks ago against the Marlins.

I've never seen a walkoff homerun, believe it or not, and I've been to over 50 games since the late 80s. (I do live an hour and a half away, ya know)

webbbj
09-06-2010, 03:54 AM
i was the game ken griffey jr hit an inside the park walkoff against the cardinals.

i was at the game the reds were down 4 in the 9th against eric gagne they came back and ken griffey jr hit a walkoff in the 14th inning. 2006 i think

i was the game earlier this year when cabrera hit a walkoff in the tenth.

i was at aroldis chapman's debut

i was at the game sammy sosa hit a hr over the big black wall at cinergy.

arkimadee
09-06-2010, 06:08 AM
i was at the game where the village people played the post game concert

i was at the game that mike piazza hit a jared fernandez knuckleball over the black monster at cinergy field. that same game kearns got hosed on a call

i was at the final 3 games at cinergy.

i was at the game where Jeff Austin could not get 1 out in the first inning and gave up like 9 runs against the marlins in the opening season at gabp

i was at the game that ryan freel made the awesome catch to end the game against the braves
]
i was at the last two opening days. last years being the coldest bleeping game of all time.

i was at the game that darnell stinson (rip) broke up a Kerry Wood no hitter. that game was sickening because it was when cubs fans were in the pennant race and being annoying.

arkimadee
09-06-2010, 06:19 AM

I was at the game when Ryan Freel got 3 standing ovations and made the greatest catch I've ever seen.

I was at Wily Mo's Bobblehead game, where he hit 2 homers including the walk-off.
was the freel catch in the game against the braves?? or am i thinking of another game

arkimadee
09-06-2010, 06:21 AM
In 1961 while the Reds were rushing to the pennant, my Dad took me to a Double header against the Giants, and watched Wille Mays crush like 3 HRs, in a Reds double loss.
In 1963 I saw a brash, cocky rookie Pete Rose make his MLB debut.
In 1972 my Dad, and me sat forever through a rain delay, to see Bench hit "the Homerun" in the bottom of the 9th, 5th game NL playoffs against the Pirates.
In 1976 2nd game of the WS, my Dad and me sat shivering in the cold, to watch NY walk, (it was either Morgan or Foster I think), to face Tony Perez. The pitcher/hitter stare was legendary. Then Perez hit the game winner. This one still gives me chills......
In '77 I was at Perez's 1st game at Riverfront not wearing Cincinnati Red.
I was at Griffey Jr's. 1st game as a Red in Spring Training as well as Opening Day.
GABP first game.
I was at Homer's debut, and this year at Chapman's debut.

My fondest hope is that this year I will be at every home playoff and WS game at GABP to see another "Champions of Baseball" wearing Cincinnati Red.
wow.. nice.. wish i could have seen Crosley Field.. that had to be a cool experience

scott91575
09-06-2010, 07:55 AM
I was at the game the Reds clinched the NL West in 1990 (rain delay and the Dodgers lost). I was on the news in the stands celebrating with the few fans left. The team came out to celebrate when they saw the Dodgers score.

I was at the game Pete Rose shoved Dave Pallone (after being poked by Pallone). The fans threw stuff on the field for about 1/2 hour, and the Mets infield took the field with batting helmets on. When the game resumed a cup full of ice almost nailed Keith Hernandez at first base.

I have been to other big games, but those are the random ones where big things happened unexpected (well, the clinching of the West was expected but not in that manner).

Keystone12
09-06-2010, 09:51 AM

My dad still remember the evil that is Al Leiter. That 99 team had destiny written all over it, until it didn't.

I saw the Yanks play at GABP and the Rocket pitch. I remember a spectacular catch by Jim Edmonds on a Jason LaRue fly to the grass field in center.

mlh1981
09-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Jose Rijo's return to Cinergy Field, after he came out of retirement.

In 2002, went to a game vs. the Pirates. Very long rain delay, and game went back/forth. Was capped off by an Aaron Boone walkoff home run in extra innings.

Trace's Daddy
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
My first ballgame in Cincinnati: June 20th, 1991 Montreal Expos - Dennis Martinez versus Jose Rijo. It was 0-0 into the 11th inning, and the Reds lost. I remember Rijo getting hurt sliding into 2nd base and had to leave the game.

Another one that stands out: April 13th, 2003 the Phillies scored frigg'n 13 runs in one inning off of Dumpster and Sullivan

gilpdawg
09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
My first ballgame in Cincinnati: June 20th, 1991 Montreal Expos - Dennis Martinez versus Jose Rijo. It was 0-0 into the 11th inning, and the Reds lost. I remember Rijo getting hurt sliding into 2nd base and had to leave the game.

Another one that stands out: April 13th, 2003 the Phillies scored frigg'n 13 runs in one inning off of Dumpster and Sullivan
Not only leaving the game, but I believe Rijo actually was out for the season after that...and any chance of defending the title was gone.

gilpdawg
09-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm wrong, he missed a month though. Was injured trying to steal a base, of all things. Had 8 ks thru 6 and only 2 hits.

Captain13
09-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I was at the game when Jr. hit the walkoff ITP HR. :beerme:

I was at a game where Jr. homered and Big Mac hit the longest HR in Riverfront/Cinergy history. Reds won 3-2 :beerme:

I was at the last game at Cinergy.

I was at the first game at GABP.

Captain13
09-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I was at the come-from-behind win against the Indians, with the Walk-off Grand Slam by Dunn.

Me too. Great game and fireworks afterward.

EddieMilner
09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I was at Riverfront on April 30, 1988 against the Mets when Pete Rose pushed Umpire Dave Pallone and subsequently received a 30 day suspension. There were at least one (if not two) bench clearings during the game.

When my mom asked my Dad and I "How was the Game?" My response, as an eight year old, was "Mom it was great, the only thing better could have been if the Reds had won."

I miss living 30 minutes from the stadium.

huber14
09-07-2010, 06:54 PM
last game at Riverfront is all I got

mckbearcat48
09-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I was at...the game where Jim Edmonds singlehandedly ruined Jason LaRue's week with 2 up the fence catches.

Reds
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Last game at riverfront & the game where Farnswerth slammed Wilson stick out.

gedred69
09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
wow.. nice.. wish i could have seen Crosley Field.. that had to be a cool experience

I already admitted I was "old", right? (I also saw the Beatles at Crosley Field).

Boston Red
09-10-2010, 12:30 PM
nm

BRM13
09-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I was at the game in 2010 where Jay Bruce hit a walk off home run to clinch the division title. :D

RedLegsToday
09-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I was at the game in 2010 where Jay Bruce hit a walk off home run to clinch the division title.

As was I! :beerme:

KYRedLeg
09-29-2010, 03:38 PM
I was at the game in 2010 where Jay Bruce hit a walk off home run to clinch the division title. :D

Yo. :beerme:

Caveman Techie
09-29-2010, 03:43 PM
I was at the game in 1990 where Larkin, Davis and Sabo hit back to back to back homeruns

I was at the game when Michael Tucker stole home

I was at the first game in GABP

I was at Larkin's last game. (still brings a tear to my eye)

I was at Jose Rijo's first start at home after coming back in 2002

I was at Ken Griffey Jr's. first game as a Red.

Caveman Techie
09-29-2010, 03:54 PM
NM

justincredible
09-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Add me to that list. :beerme:

KOBasinger
09-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Add me to that list. :beerme:

Same here. :cool:

New York Red
09-29-2010, 05:33 PM
LOL ... me too! Woooo ... Section 111, Row EE, seat 10. Regardless what happens from this point forward, I'll be taking one seriously sweet moment back home with me.

:beerme:

smixsell
09-29-2010, 05:47 PM
I was at several Big Red Machine Spring training games in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami FLA between 1974 and 1977

I was at 3 consecutive Big Red Machine road games in 1977 (2 in Montreal, 1 in Philly), and stayed in the same hotel as the big red machine in Philly.

---PS It was awesome! My mom, myself and my two sisters had a lunch in he hotel with Pedro Borbon and had breakfast the next day with Sparky Anderson, (just us by the way, we had Sparky and Pete all to ourselves and both were amazinly friendly and down to earth! -- Amazing laid back friendliness for two key "stars" in the 2 time defending World Champs)

I was at Games 1 & 2 of the 1990 NLCS. My sister, my future brother in law, and myself flew up from Florida just for the two games. ( I TOLD everybody after the tough game one loss that the Bulldog (Browning) would outduel Drabek in game 2! <smile>)

I was at Games 1 & 2 of the 1990 World Series. This time we drove up from Florida for games 1 -2, went to Chicago to visit my cousins while the Series was in "Choke-land," and were planning to return to Cincy for games 6-7. (I thought it was a good omen when, despite arriving pretty late for game 1, we bumped into Mario Soto in street clothes in the Stadium parking garage before the game and got to say "Hey Mario, your the man!" to him. My biggest memory is of Eric Davis' game 1 homer heading right at me, but fell just about 100 feet short! -- I was in the upper deck <smile> I remember knowing it was gone WAY earlier than the fans around me in the center field upper deck seats, because when the ball reached it's apex it looked HUGE, I swear it looked like a BASKETBALL, so I knew it was WAY OUTA THERE <smile>--- AND I remember calling for the "Eck" to come and get his loss in extra innings of game 2 <big smile!>)

AND FINALLY, I was at fountain Square for the World Series Victory Celebration in 1990. Who knew that we would sweep the suckers and there would be no games 6 or 7? (I actually thought we would win the series despite being 3-1 underdogs, but a sweep?) YEEEE HAWWWW! Go REDS!!!!!!!!

smixsell
09-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Awesome! That homerun by Bench in Game 5 vs. the pirates is my first baseball memory. I was 8 years old, already a Reds fan because of Johnny Bench, and ran outside screaming at the top of my lungs after we won. I ran through the entire neighborhood screaming "Reds win! We're #1!" Over and over and over again! My neighbors must have thought I was NUTS! LOL

(PS I was still PO'd at the A's for beating us that year :confused: until I went to Riverfront in 1990 to see games 1 and 2 of our SWEEP!:beerme:)