skywalker
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
sorry if I missed a thread on this

skywalker
09-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Guess no news is good news

shan12stones
09-04-2010, 11:19 PM
no news but when i saw him outside busch stadium friday and saturday he looked fine by me.

GIDP
09-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Either they are making sure hes 100% healthy or hes really hurt. Which sounds stupid when I type it but I think you guys get the point. Basically they are saying "day to day" but when you have no reason to DL him who honestly knows.

Kingspoint
09-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Either they are making sure hes 100% healthy or hes really hurt. Which sounds stupid when I type it but I think you guys get the point. Basically they are saying "day to day" but when you have no reason to DL him who honestly knows.

It's nice to have the luxury of being extra cautious with everyone's injuries.

Bruce had played as many innings as anyone in baseball up to this time. He could use the rest.

GIDP
09-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I just hope when he gets back he's healthy.

skywalker
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
and that bat is working :)

New York Red
09-05-2010, 11:42 PM
The good news is we have a big lead so the Reds can afford to give guys extra time off, like they maybe are with Bruce and the way they did with Phillips.

The bad news is, we fans don't know what the heck is going on (with Bruce)!! :bang:

skywalker
09-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Still no news :confused::confused:

Vottomatic
09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
The good news is we have a big lead so the Reds can afford to give guys extra time off, like they maybe are with Bruce and the way they did with Phillips.

The bad news is, we fans don't know what the heck is going on (with Bruce)!! :bang:

Big lead of 6 games. :rolleyes:

New York Red
09-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Big lead of 6 games. :rolleyes:
It was 7 when I typed that last post. And yes, I would consider a 7-game lead in September a "big lead".

mlh1981
09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
So frustrating for this to happen to him, because he was red hot.

redlegs2370
09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Have they said exactly how he got hurt? I hope it wasn't in the post game celebration after his game winning hit.

GIDP
09-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Batting cage prior to the game he got scratched from.

brm7675
09-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Big lead, your joking right? By Friday that lead could be 3, we have anything but a "big" lead. The problem isn't they are "giving' Bruce days off to rest, HE CAN'T PLAY. I am willing to bet he is done for the season in the ability to play everyday. I see him starting, rehurting himself and going back down for 5-7 days and so on. Sad thing is the Reds see no reason in bringing up another OF.

New York Red
09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Big lead, your joking right? By Friday that lead could be 3, we have anything but a "big" lead.
Again, the lead was 7 when I typed that. If you want to play hypothetical situations and say the lead "could be" 3, then so be it. But I deal in reality, and at the time I wrote that the lead was 7 - which is, IMO, a big lead in September. For the Reds to blow a lead that big, they'd have to fall completely apart and the Cards would have to get hot for an extended period of time. And I don't see either of those things happening.

The problem isn't they are "giving' Bruce days off to rest, HE CAN'T PLAY. I am willing to bet he is done for the season in the ability to play everyday. I see him starting, rehurting himself and going back down for 5-7 days and so on. Sad thing is the Reds see no reason in bringing up another OF.
If you think Bruce may be done for the season (as an everyday player), then you apparently know a lot more than most of us here. And if indeed he is done, then that makes the Reds' job more difficult.

PeteRoseBelongs
09-07-2010, 11:50 AM
the only thing out there is that he is sidelined through at least yesterday. He might be a game time decission. But by all accounts there is nothing negative being reported

brm7675
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Again, the lead was 7 when I typed that. If you want to play hypothetical situations and say the lead "could be" 3, then so be it. But I deal in reality, and at the time I wrote that the lead was 7 - which is, IMO, a big lead in September. For the Reds to blow a lead that big, they'd have to fall completely apart and the Cards would have to get hot for an extended period of time. And I don't see either of those things happening.

If you think Bruce may be done for the season (as an everyday player), then you apparently know a lot more than most of us here. And if indeed he is done, then that makes the Reds' job more difficult.

Sorry but I don't see a 7 game lead as huge again given whom we still have to play and whom the Cards have left to play and where. We have killer road games in Colorado/Houston and SD left to play. Of those 9 games alone I don't see us winning more then 3 at best. While we do have some easier games at home, without Bruce, whom has not shown since the injury any ability to come back and given how harmful a rib cage injury can be (see Josh Hamiliton) I am very worried that this team is going to struggle. On a thread about our win total over the remaing games I only had us winning 13 out of 30 and that was before losing Bruce. With 25 games left right now I see the Reds struggling to win 10 of those.

brm7675
09-07-2010, 11:52 AM
the only thing out there is that he is sidelined through at least yesterday. He might be a game time decission. But by all accounts there is nothing negative being reported

How often have the Reds ever posted the true injury of a player? With how important these Road games are, not playing Bruce speaks volumes. Since we know it's a rib cage area/muscle injury and how something as simple as swinging a bat can reinjure or hurt, I would be shocked to see Bruce more then a handful of times over the remaiing 25 games.

PeteRoseBelongs
09-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorry but I don't see a 7 game lead as huge again given whom we still have to play and whom the Cards have left to play and where. We have killer road games in Colorado/Houston and SD left to play. Of those 9 games alone I don't see us winning more then 3 at best. While we do have some easier games at home, without Bruce, whom has not shown since the injury any ability to come back and given how harmful a rib cage injury can be (see Josh Hamiliton) I am very worried that this team is going to struggle. On a thread about our win total over the remaing games I only had us winning 13 out of 30 and that was before losing Bruce. With 25 games left right now I see the Reds struggling to win 10 of those.

I see little margain for error with this team. fortunately the Padres are strugeling bad right now. So the Reds might catch them at the right time. Heisey and Stubbs have got to catch a little lightening in the bottle for this team.

cbowen2112
09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
What most do not realize apparently, is the following:

1. We definitely played better overall in the Cards series this time around. Probably should have swept them.

2. We have just faced 4 of the top 8 in the NL in a 4 game spread. And were close in all 4 games when the starter was in the game. Should have won the Carp, and at least the Jiminez games.

3. Without Bruce our lineup is still scoring a fair amount of runs and Heisey is doing fairly well as a replacement in RF.

4. We were 3 games back a few weeks ago and now have a 6 game lead.

5. This team does not suck by any stretch of the imagination.

mckbearcat48
09-07-2010, 12:27 PM
What most do not realize apparently, is the following:

1. We definitely played better overall in the Cards series this time around. Probably should have swept them.

2. We have just faced 4 of the top 8 in the NL in a 4 game spread. And were close in all 4 games when the starter was in the game. Should have won the Carp, and at least the Jiminez games.

3. Without Bruce our lineup is still scoring a fair amount of runs and Heisey is doing fairly well as a replacement in RF.

4. We were 3 games back a few weeks ago and now have a 6 game lead.

5. This team does not suck by any stretch of the imagination.

This person speaks the truth. Reds realistically could have got 2 of the 3 games in STL, with the first one the only one I think they weren't winning.

Captain13
09-07-2010, 12:36 PM
OH MY GOD, THIS TEAM IS AWFUL!!! That they own the best record in the National League and a six game lead in the division doesn't prove anything. They could lose every game for the rest of the season and lose 110 games next year...or maybe some people are overreacting. Six games up with fewer that 30 to play. There isn't a team in the NL I would trade places with right now. Go Reds! Try to win a few before your fanbase gets injured jumping off the bandwagon, or worse, dies jumping off the new Great American Insurance building downtown.

Kiss the Baby00
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
pretty sure i have never seen a positive brm post or a factual one. they are all him talking nonsense out of his ass.

brm7675
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
pretty sure i have never seen a positive brm post or a factual one. they are all him talking nonsense out of his ass.

Fact: We only have a 6 game lead and as the Padres have shown a 6 game lead can be gone like that.

Fact: Bruce is hurt bad enough that he sat out the entire Cards series, a series had we swept would have put us in a double digit lead.

Fact: Upper chest muscle injuires are not something you come back from within days or even weeks. One little bad swing and his season could be over

Fact: We have 9 very tough road games ahead, against a Division leader and 2 of the hottest teams in the NL right now

Fact: We only have 3 pitchers we can "count" on to give us potentially quality starts each time out

Fact: We are only carrying 3 healthy OF on the roster at this moment.

Fact: We have only gone 6-4 over our last ten, and only 1-3 in our last 4 against "quality" teams.

What other facts do you need to know...

PeteRoseBelongs
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
the biggest issue with this club as I have seen over the last couple of weeks is that the pitching staff has been getting shelled. The starters are all equally bad right now.

also, has anyone else noticed that at the same point in time that this team went on this slide is when the organization publicly offered an extention to Dusty Baker. I am not saying that is why directly that this team isn't doing well. hitters are slumping and the pitchers getting shelled.

I have never been a supporter of Dusty Baker but he may need to come out publicly and say he will return and then at the end of the year if he wants to change his mind then change it. Many of these players are very young. I think it is pretty clear that they are pressing. Just a thought.

Kiss the Baby00
09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Fact: We only have a 6 game lead and as the Padres have shown a 6 game lead can be gone like that.

we arent the padres

Fact: Bruce is hurt bad enough that he sat out the entire Cards series, a series had we swept would have put us in a double digit lead.

get real. carpenter, garcia and wainwright swept us at our place last time, why on Earth would we expect to sweep them?

Fact: Upper chest muscle injuires are not something you come back from within days or even weeks. One little bad swing and his season could be over

jay bruce is 23 and much more resilient to injuries than 40 year old jim edmonds. you arent a doctor and dont have any real idea of what is wrong with jay.

Fact: We have 9 very tough road games ahead, against a Division leader and 2 of the hottest teams in the NL right now

i dont think anyone really expected us to win the harang, lol matchup vs jiminez. we took two of three last time from the rockies and will likely split with them this time. we also took two of three from houston last time, including beating roy oswalt. and dont forget we play the pirates this weekend. a series we can easily sweep.

Fact: We only have 3 pitchers we can "count" on to give us potentially quality starts each time out

most teams dont have more than three pitchers they can count on the give them a quality start every time out. in fact we have 4-5. cueto, arroyo, wood, homer( he pitched great last game aside from the HR pitch.) and then leake or volquez is going to get you a QS every other time out. maybe more

Fact: We are only carrying 3 healthy OF on the roster at this moment.

they have to cut someone from the 40 man to bring up a guy who started in A ball this season. i agree we could probably use a little OF depth but jay is expected back by the weekend and nix is eligible to come off the DL this weekend also. no reason to make a move on the 40 man roster at this point

Fact: We have only gone 6-4 over our last ten, and only 1-3 in our last 4 against "quality" teams.
6-4 isnt bad in baseball. how quickly you forget about the run we went on leading up to the cardinals series

What other facts do you need to know...

you have told me all i need to know. you have little to no baseball knowledge and still havent said anything positive in your 1,000 ramblings on this site.

brm7675
09-07-2010, 01:21 PM
the biggest issue with this club as I have seen over the last couple of weeks is that the pitching staff has been getting shelled. The starters are all equally bad right now.

also, has anyone else noticed that at the same point in time that this team went on this slide is when the organization publicly offered an extention to Dusty Baker. I am not saying that is why directly that this team isn't doing well. hitters are slumping and the pitchers getting shelled.

I have never been a supporter of Dusty Baker but he may need to come out publicly and say he will return and then at the end of the year if he wants to change his mind then change it. Many of these players are very young. I think it is pretty clear that they are pressing. Just a thought.

I will the agree the pitchers got lit up in SF, but they pitched well in Arizona, LA, home vs the Cubs and Brewers adn in St. Louis. Scores in Colorado are going to be higher.

Kiss the Baby00
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM

loooooooooooooooooool. blah blah blah. 11- 7 since they offered dusty his extension. some slide buddy.

http://failsalon.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/partyfail2.jpg

PeteRoseBelongs
09-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Dont make this personal. All I am saying is that since they offered him his contract extention that these players have not been playing as well as they did before. The starters have been getting hit extremely hard and please don't pull the " OLD " arguement about Colorado because that doesn't fly. It is a myth. The numbers don't lie they always tell us what we don't want to see. These players are pressing.

brm7675
09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Your right the Padres are a better overall team then we are and yet they have seen their lead shrink to 1 game.

Did you not watch those 3 games? We have every opportunity to win the two we lost.

I never said anything about Edmonds, look at Hamilton with the Rangers, similar injury area and he may be out weeks. This type of injury doesn't heal overnight.

We played the rockies coming out of the all star break, since then they have gotten hot and we are playing them in Colorado.

If you consider Homer's outings since his return as "quality' then okay, but right now are you confident when he takes the mound?

Your right playing with only 3 Major League OF when you have others on the 40 man roster is a good move...

I look at the situation and see what it is. I am not going to sugar coat anything and refuse to accept poor results when the talent says otherwise. Poor play and even poor management is unaccpetable given what this team has.

brm7675
09-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Dont make this personal. All I am saying is that since they offered him his contract extention that these players have not been playing as well as they did before. The starters have been getting hit extremely hard and please don't pull the " OLD " arguement about Colorado because that doesn't fly. It is a myth. The numbers don't lie they always tell us what we don't want to see. These players are pressing.

outside of the Giant series how has the starters been getting hit hard?

New York Red
09-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Your right the Padres are a better overall team then we are ...
We have a two-game losing streak. :rolleyes: They just had a 10-game losing streak - the longest by a first place team since 1934! We have a better overall record than them and a better record since the break. And before our current two-game skid :rolleyes: - we had won 15 of our last 20 games, with three of those losses coming on the west coast road trip. How do you figure the Padres are a better overall team than the Reds?

09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Just for the record, a team with a 6 game lead with 25 games to play has around a 95% chance of making the playoffs. Teams have blown leads this big a few times in the history of baseball, but they have been historic collapses.

Even if the Reds have a big collapse and go 9-16 the rest of the way, the Cardinals would have to go 17-10 to win the division. Plus the Cardinals don't have a day off the rest of the season. That could be huge down the stretch.

One thing that has defined this team all season is their ability to bounce back from adversity. They could have an historic collapse, because anything is possible, but it is highly improbable that they will.

brm7675
09-07-2010, 05:14 PM
We have a two-game losing streak. :rolleyes: They just had a 10-game losing streak - the longest by a first place team since 1934! We have a better overall record than them and a better record since the break. And before our current two-game skid :rolleyes: - we had won 15 of our last 20 games, with three of those losses coming on the west coast road trip. How do you figure the Padres are a better overall team than the Reds?

look at the talent on the team.

Kiss the Baby00
09-07-2010, 05:31 PM
look at the talent on the team.

adrian gonzalez and matt latos. who else ya got?

Kingspoint
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
They just had a 10-game losing streak - the longest by a first place team since 1934!

I knew I had never seen a team 27 games above .500 lose 10 in a row before in my lifetime. I wonder how many games above .500 that 1934 team was at the time?

brm7675
09-07-2010, 05:49 PM
adrian gonzalez and matt latos. who else ya got?

They have the best overall pitching staff in the NL and one of the top defensive teams in baseball. Sure they have very few "name' recognition players, but their records speaks for them. It took a 10 game losing streak just to bring them back to the pack of the rest of the national league and they STill are leading their division after that. Do you think the Reds would still be in first if they lose their next 8 games?

brm7675
09-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow and STILL no Bruce tonight...and Orlando batting second...

Rockermann
09-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow and STILL no Bruce tonight...

Bruce hit about 50 balls off a T today. If there are no problems because of this, he'll take BP tomorrow and possibly make the lineup.

brm7675
09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Bruce hit about 50 balls off a T today. If there are no problems because of this, he'll take BP tomorrow and possibly make the lineup.

When I see him in the lineup and after he has had a few AB's with no signs of injury then I will be happy...until then...:confused:

Kiss the Baby00
09-07-2010, 06:46 PM
They have the best overall pitching staff in the NL and one of the top defensive teams in baseball. Sure they have very few "name' recognition players, but their records speaks for them. It took a 10 game losing streak just to bring them back to the pack of the rest of the national league and they STill are leading their division after that. Do you think the Reds would still be in first if they lose their next 8 games?

yes i think the reds would be in first if they lsot the next 8. and we have the best statistical defense in the NL. yet again, u are uninformed

brm7675
09-07-2010, 06:49 PM
yes i think the reds would be in first if they lsot the next 8. and we have the best statistical defense in the NL. yet again, u are uninformed

Did i say the padres had the best D, no I said they had one of the top D's and the best pitching in teh NL. And you might be right, we could lose 10 in a row and still be in first, but I woulnd't bet on it.

Kiss the Baby00
09-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Did i say the padres had the best D, no I said they had one of the top D's and the best pitching in teh NL. And you might be right, we could lose 10 in a row and still be in first, but I woulnd't bet on it.

cards would have to go 7-1 while we went 0-8. pretty unlikely.

PeteRoseBelongs
09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Jay Bruce-OF- Reds Sep. 7 - 5:40 pm et

Jay Bruce (ribs) took approximately 50 swings off a tee Tuesday.

"Biggest thing is how I bounce back," said Bruce. He isn't in the lineup Tuesday and we probably won't know his status for Wednesday until right around game time.
Source: John Fay on Twitter

brm7675
09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Jay Bruce-OF- Reds Sep. 7 - 5:40 pm et

Jay Bruce (ribs) took approximately 50 swings off a tee Tuesday.

"Biggest thing is how I bounce back," said Bruce. He isn't in the lineup Tuesday and we probably won't know his status for Wednesday until right around game time.
Source: John Fay on Twitter

Well Tee ball hitting must not have gone to well, Reds saying he won't see action at all in Colorado, this is not good.

GIDP
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
They play on thursday also so unless you are seeing some other quote, which i seriously doubt, I dont know what you are talking about.

Captain13
09-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Over at cincinnat.com they are saying Friday. All I know is Friday can't get here soon enough. I miss Bruuuuce!

Hey Meat
09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Dusty will put him back at lead off and everything will be ok.

brm7675
09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Dusty will put him back at lead off and everything will be ok.

I wish I could agree, i have a bad feeling on this. He has now sat for what will be almost a week + so it will take him a few games to get his swing back and unless the "issue" is 100% there is a strong chance it will get tweeked again at some point.

Hey Meat
09-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I wish I could agree, i have a bad feeling on this. He has now sat for what will be almost a week + so it will take him a few games to get his swing back and unless the "issue" is 100% there is a strong chance it will get tweeked again at some point.

Be positive will you. We are going to be ok. Bruce will be fine, maybe he doesn't lead off right upon his return, but at least we know how good he can be in that spot and will surely see it again.