PDA

View Full Version : Travis Wood

mth123
09-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I know there are other threads, but I wanted this to have one of its own. I've had doubts about Wood, I've doubted his stuff, his size and his stamina. I chalked his early success to first time around the league syndrome. Heck, just a couple days ago I called him a number 5, but he's made a convert out of me.

I'm impressed most by how he doesn't get rattled. Whether its matching up with an ace for the team's top rival, or losing a perfect game and staying focused, Wood is impressive. (He's pretty good with a bat in his hands and runs very well too.)

Its been a big month for the Reds. They've come off the deck and taken charge of the division.The post-season seems a near certainty. Lots of happy moments in Redsland, but Travis Wood getting back on the beam today makes me happier than anything so far. If he can keep it going, the Reds may just have a rotation to compete in a short series. Up to now, I was a huge skeptic, now I'm more optimistic. Still wish the team had obtained a number 1 somehow, but its not a foregone conclusion that the Reds can't compete.

Nicely done Travis.

Now lets get Homer going and cause some fits for the bigger name teams in October.

Reds Freak
09-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Good post. I'm really excited for the kid's future. The potential playoff rotation has a month to sort itself out and I think it will do that. Obviously, Arroyo and Cueto are the locks right now. The thing is the Reds usually get 3-4 really good starts through the five-man rotation, you just never know where they're going to come from...

OnBaseMachine
09-04-2010, 08:51 PM
That was an impressive start by Travis today. The Reds had lost five straight games to the Cardinals and were facing a Cy Young contender, automatic loss, right? Nope. Travis Wood stepped up and picked up one of the biggest wins of the season for the Reds. Not only did he pitch a great game, he contribued with the bat as well as he laid down two beautiful sacrifice bunts and also hit a HR off Wainwright. I have been very impressed with Wood this season. I like his future a lot.

bucksfan2
09-04-2010, 08:56 PM
That was an impressive start by Travis today. The Reds had lost five straight games to the Cardinals and were facing a Cy Young contender, automatic loss, right? Nope. Travis Wood stepped up and picked up one of the biggest wins of the season for the Reds. Not only did he pitch a great game, he contribued with the bat as well as he laid down two beautiful sacrifice bunts and also hit a HR off Wainwright. I have been very impressed with Wood this season. I like his future a lot.

They showed a stat on Fox that the Cards have lost 4 straight games that Wainwright has started (and 7-8 that Carpenter and Wainwright). Why that is I don't know but it is interesting.

I flipped back and forth between the Reds game and Wood had a great game. Top notch effort by him both at the plate and on the mound. I had questions about Wood coming into the season but right now I think I like him more than any other starter in the Reds organization. He may not have the top end stuff but he is one heck of a competitor, oh and he has some pretty good stuff to boot.

membengal
09-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the Wood fan club, mth. It's a happy place.

VR
09-04-2010, 09:09 PM
He's a stud......hitting a dinger off Wainwright ain't chopped liver either.

Always Red
09-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I love the kid, love his moxie, but we have to remember that this was his first game against the Cards- first time they have ever seen him. That has to be taken into account.

mth123
09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I love the kid, love his moxie, but we have to remember that this was his first game against the Cards- first time they have ever seen him. That has to be taken into account.

Agreed. He'll have that same advantage against the Yankees in October.;)

Redsfan320
09-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I've been a member of the WFC since his first start. That's the truth. I think he's our definite #3 behind BA and JC.

OldRightHander
09-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I find myself listening to a lot of games over the radio, so this was the first time I've gotten a good look at Wood for an entire game, other than occasional highlights on tv. What I saw really impressed me. There was the poise, but I also noticed a very solid mechanical pitching motion that should serve him well for years to come. It was such a joy to watch him work today. I was almost mesmerized at times. I haven't enjoyed watching a pitching performance that much in years.

HokieRed
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
As I've said, he's a number 2 starter. I love his abililty to pitch both sides of the plate. I am eternally grateful that the Mariners thought Smoak was so important as to pass on our offer. And I'll say it once again, thank you Dan O'Brien.

hebroncougar
09-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I said it before on this board, and I'll say it again. I start Wood #1 in the playoffs. He's calm, and I'm 100% sure he wouldn't be intimidated by the big stage. I don't trust Cueto #1, and Wood just might, possibly throw a gem, and be good enough to beat a Halladay, Latos, or Hudson. I'd throw Arroyo 2, and Cueto 3, and I think they both match up well with other teams 2's and 3's.

Chip R
09-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Perhaps but I'm positive they have watched a lot of video on him. I know it's not the same thing but i don't think they are unfamiliar with him.

Homer Bailey
09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Just now watching the game. Lot of things to marvel at, but my God can that man fly.

kaldaniels
09-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I said it before on this board, and I'll say it again. I start Wood #1 in the playoffs. He's calm, and I'm 100% sure he wouldn't be intimidated by the big stage. I don't trust Cueto #1, and Wood just might, possibly throw a gem, and be good enough to beat a Halladay, Latos, or Hudson. I'd throw Arroyo 2, and Cueto 3, and I think they both match up well with other teams 2's and 3's.

I like the Arroyo/Cueto 2-3 bit. Homer could very well be the ace in the hole however. No use debating it now...the rest of Sept will tell the story.

kaldaniels
09-04-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm always fasinated with contract situations with pre-arb guys, especially those who aren't uber-prospects and are relatively new to the league.

For discussions sake, lets say you are the GM and you are 100 percent sure Wood is the real thing. What amount of money would it take to sign Wood to a 8-9 year deal right now.

Remember, he is making 400k a year and frankly is not a sure thing (I'm not knocking him by saying this). Or is such a thing a non-starter with Wood?

PuffyPig
09-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Wood is death on left handed batters, allowing zero X-tra base hits vs. them this year, to the tune of a .281 OPS against.

RH haven't fared that great either, at .678.

fearofpopvol1
09-05-2010, 01:07 AM
not sure how long it will be up for, but currently wood is on the front page of the mlb page on espn.com

http://espn.go.com/mlb/

Big Klu
09-05-2010, 02:05 AM
His mental toughness combined with his size and the fact he's a lefty reminds me of Tom Glavine.

On the FOX broadcast today, Tim McCarver said that Wood reminds him of Don Gullett. (I'm too young to remember Gully as a player--I was only 6 when he made his last appearance as a Red in the 1976 World Series.)

remdog
09-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Wood needs to take Stubbs over to the batting cage and teach him about bunting. :)

Rem

OnBaseMachine
10-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Travis Wood finished off a very good rookie season with another great start tonight: 6.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 6 K. And two of those runs weren't his fault. Jonny Gomes misjudged a routine flyball in the seventh which snowballed into a two run inning.

Wood's final numbers:

102.1 IP, 85 H, 9 HR, 26 BB, 86 K, 3.51 ERA, 2.29 BB/9, 7.58 K/9

Very nice rookie season by Wood.

oregonred
10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I would go with Wood in Game 2 assuming it is the Phils. Great effort tonight and I want to see as little of Gomes manning the OF in the postseason as humanly possible. What was he thinking on that flyball?

Can't wait to see him in the rotation for the next 6+ years...

fearofpopvol1
10-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I want Wood going game 2.

edabbs44
10-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I would go with Wood in Game 2 assuming it is the Phils. Great effort tonight and I want to see as little of Gomes manning the OF in the postseason as humanly possible. What was he thinking on that flyball?

Can't wait to see him in the rotation for the next 6+ years...

You'd throw him over Cueto?

oregonred
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
You'd throw him over Cueto?

In Citizens Bank Park. No question, now that Wood seems to have gotten over some mild late season fatigue. Cueto has a history of getting rocked there. How can you not toss a guy who took a perfect game into the 9th in the same park.

Arroyo
Wood
Cueto
Volquez

edabbs44
10-01-2010, 10:21 PM
In Citizens Bank Park. No question, now that Wood seems to have gotten over some mild late season fatigue. Cueto has a history of getting rocked there. How can you not toss a guy who took a perfect game into the 9th in the same park.

Arroyo
Wood
Cueto
Volquez

It would be kind of a slap to Cueto. He deserves to start the game.

oregonred
10-01-2010, 10:23 PM
It would be kind of a slap to Cueto. He deserves to start the game.

He can start game three at home. 15 years since the postseason. I'm not worried about feelings, Wood is the man for one of the at Philly games.

edabbs44
10-01-2010, 10:37 PM
He can start game three at home. 15 years since the postseason. I'm not worried about feelings, Wood is the man for one of the at Philly games.

Cueto also threw a good game there this season. Cueto has a longer track record of success. Basing Wood's eligibility as our #2 and using one game (his third in the majors) as proof, that's a rookie move.

oregonred
10-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Cueto also threw a good game there this season. Cueto has a longer track record of success. Basing Wood's eligibility as our #2 and using one game (his third in the majors) as proof, that's a rookie move.

Check out the Phillies left handed lineup and get back to me. Cueto's been absolutely rocked in Philly on a couple of occassions. IMO, easy call but Dusty is anything but conventional in his thinking.

I trust Wood more than Cueto to win a big game. No doubt in my mind. Our one win against the Cards in the two big series was another Wood gem. Dude is nails.

edabbs44
10-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Check out the Phillies left handed lineup and get back to me. Cueto's been absolutely rocked in Philly on a couple of occassions. IMO, easy call but Dusty is anything but conventional in his thinking.

I trust Wood more than Cueto to win a big game. No doubt in my mind. Our one win against the Cards in the two big series was another Wood gem. Dude is nails.

Axtually Cueto has pitched twice in Philly, one was a freakishly bad beating last year, the other was a very solid game this season.

And did you know that Philly has had more succes vs LHP than RHP?