PDA

View Full Version : OF Replacement?

RedLegSuperStar
09-05-2010, 12:04 AM
With only 3 OFs on the roster and not knowing officially Jay Bruce's return. It won't be tomorrow and could be sometime in Colorado.. but no one knows for sure. Walts stated that they are looking outside the organization after the injury to Balentine. So who are you guys thinking?

Homer Bailey
09-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Bonds?

RedLegSuperStar
09-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Now i'm eliminated the options of Francisco and Alonso because I feel the Reds don't have faith in either at the OF position.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 12:18 AM
It sucks that Balentien got injured as he would have been the most logical choice. He's OPSing .873 in Louisville, and has been especially hot lately with a 1.148 OPS in 152 atbats since the All-Star break. Danny Dorn is mashing in Louisville with a .954 OPS, and while he's not Jonny Gomes bad with the glove, he's not someone you would bring in as a defensive replacement either. Sappelt is a great defender and is hitting .343 with a .902 OPS between A+, AA, and AAA. Of the two, I think Dorn would provide the most value with the bat right now but Sappelt is clearly the better defender.

Big Klu
09-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Just another name to throw out there (and I'm not saying it's what I would do), but I don't think anybody has signed the Corporal since his release from Louisville.

Tornon
09-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Maybe we can see what the Brewers would take for Chris Dickerson

mth123
09-05-2010, 03:53 AM
To me, this seems like a short term problem and probably needs a short term solution. Adding Sappelt to the 40 man means be needs to stay there or the Reds will need to risk waivers to remove him. I don't believe that he needs to be protected from rule 5 yet and adding him will fill a spot this winter that may be needed for somebody else. Danny Dorn does need to be protected but if its not in the plan to add him, then it would require removing him later. There is a much better chance at losing him by trying to remove him later than there would be by exposing him to rule 5.

IMO the Reds will either add somebody who they will need to keep anyway (Todd Frazier would fit except they probably want a LH bat) or they will bring in a guy from outside the organization who can be cut loose after the season with no regrets. I actually think the Sarge Jr idea wouldn't be so bad.

If the Reds stay inside the organization, Danny Dorn is the only LH bat at AAA with OF on his resume. Maybe Wilkin Castillo, but I'm not sure how much OF he's played. I think they will want more defense than Dorn provides and I could see the Reds giving up a long shot minor leaguer for some journeyman that another team doesn't have in its plans. The Reds could probably add somebody for a PTBNL or similar minor leaguer from our own system that doesn't fit.

jojo
09-05-2010, 11:20 AM
The Cards don't need Holiday again until 2011. Maybe the Reds could lease him for a few weeks kind of like a time share...

sivman17
09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Gary Matthews Jr has to be kicking himself right now. What a mistake he made.

jojo
09-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Bring back Jr! He would get to retire as a Red!

CTA513
09-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Taveras is probably available.

:fineprint

jojo
09-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Taveras is probably available.

:fineprint

I don't know. The Rangers might ask for Volquez back.....

blumj
09-05-2010, 12:28 PM
You can have Darnell McDonald back now. Or, you can take the "wrong" Patterson brother, not that there's a "right" Patterson brother.

Ron Madden
09-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I have no idea of just who the Reds can bring in to help.

I do know that's a huge outfield in Colorado and the Reds could sure use some help.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 01:20 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

*Yonder Alonso is not an option for the outfield but Juan Francisco is another emergency possiblity. Baker was asked if Paul Janish could be a candidate.

"This is not the time to just try anybody out there, especially where we're going," Baker said. "If you try somebody out there, you want to do it at a smaller field - like our field. You need Willie Mays, Curt Flood and Paul Blair out there in Colorado."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/09/sundays_rubber_game.html

And yet Jonny Gomes will probably be patrolling left field for the Reds.

Tony Cloninger
09-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Well Paul Blair right now could play defense better than Gomes right now....so the Reds used him in 1979, maybe he would be up for a call.

I think the Reds need someone.....fast. There has to be someone available that can help defensively in LF right now. I can deal with no hitting....but they need someone with range and a clue out there for these 4 games.

mth123
09-05-2010, 02:03 PM
An example might be Jody Gerut who is still toiling in AAA for SD. A quick deal of a non-prospect or a bit of cash would be a good idea. Whoever it is will be at the end of the bench in a week, so lets not mess-up any long term plans be recalling Sappelt before he needs to be protected.

Kc61
09-05-2010, 02:16 PM
An example might be Jody Gerut who is still toiling in AAA for SD. A quick deal of a non-prospect or a bit of cash would be a good idea. Whoever it is will be at the end of the bench in a week, so lets not mess-up any long term plans be recalling Sappelt before he needs to be protected.

Why not call Gary Matthews Jr. and ask him to come back?

I can't believe there's no defensive-oriented outfielder available to be acquired for a non-prospect to help them handle the outfield needs in Colorado.

TheNext44
09-05-2010, 02:32 PM
It's really just for a few days. And even if Bruce can't come back for a wile, Nix and Edmonds will be back soon enough. I'd rather just ride it out than have to drop someone off the 40 man roster.

Mario-Rijo
09-05-2010, 02:32 PM
They really need to give Dorn the chance, they certainly aren't gonna fall all over themselves to protect him in the offseason anyway. Unless he tears it up which is exactly what we should hope he does so they re-think the situation.

Mario-Rijo
09-05-2010, 02:35 PM
It's really just for a few days. And even if Bruce can't come back for a wile, Nix and Edmonds will be back soon enough. I'd rather just ride it out than have to drop someone off the 40 man roster.

How do you figure Edmonds will be back soon? Same issue as Ocab but much older and always has shown to be more fragile. I'd be surprised if he can make it back in time for the playoffs. Nix might be back soon but none of them will be soon enough for Colorado. One injury out there and we are most likely in trouble for at least one game maybe 2.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 02:47 PM
How do you figure Edmonds will be back soon? Same issue as Ocab but much older and always has shown to be more fragile. I'd be surprised if he can make it back in time for the playoffs. Nix might be back soon but none of them will be soon enough for Colorado. One injury out there and we are most likely in trouble for at least one game maybe 2.

You realize that Cabrera was only out as long as he was because the Reds allowed themselves an additional roster spot to choose from next month, right? He could have been activated 10 days ago, but the Reds wanted that extra August 31 spot.

Ghosts of 1990
09-05-2010, 03:01 PM
We won't need a replacement in the outfield, Bruce is fine; getting better every day and the plan is for him to be out there any day now to continue on his recent hot streak according to many sources including the Reds.

Mario-Rijo
09-05-2010, 03:55 PM
You realize that Cabrera was only out as long as he was because the Reds allowed themselves an additional roster spot to choose from next month, right? He could have been activated 10 days ago, but the Reds wanted that extra August 31 spot.

I don't know that this is a fact. I'm not saying you are wrong just saying there is no way to prove it. But even if I did believe it with certainty it doesn't necessarily mean Edmonds will be back as soon as some would like him to be.

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Reds need to get Danny Dorn up, or another lefty hitting outfielder from the outside. Reds lineup is now almost all righty, and it doesn't work IMO. They need at least one additional lefty bat in the lineup.

I would try to do this as soon as possible because the Rockie series will be tough. Against Jiminez, Reds need more than one lefty bat in the lineup.

Maybe Francisco plays some third base to get Rolen a rest, but we want Scott out there. A lefty hitting outfielder is the need, until Bruce is ready.

TheNext44
09-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Reds need to get Danny Dorn up, or another lefty hitting outfielder from the outside. Reds lineup is now almost all righty, and it doesn't work IMO. They need at least one additional lefty bat in the lineup.

I would try to do this as soon as possible because the Rockie series will be tough. Against Jiminez, Reds need more than one lefty bat in the lineup.

Maybe Francisco plays some third base to get Rolen a rest, but we want Scott out there. A lefty hitting outfielder is the need, until Bruce is ready.

The Reds have two lefty bats who probably aren't that much worse than Dorn defensively in LF, in Francisco and Alonso. if this really as an issue, they would have been playing there this series.

TheNext44
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Like I said, it makes things tough for the Colorado series. But with a seven game lead do you lose someone off the 40 man roster just to be at 100% for one series. Nix will be back soon, as will Bruce. No need to panic.

edabbs44
09-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I think we may be overthinking this just a bit.

Mario-Rijo
09-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Like I said, it makes things tough for the Colorado series. But with a seven game lead do you lose someone off the 40 man roster just to be at 100% for one series. Nix will be back soon, as will Bruce. No need to panic.

Seven game lead diminished to almost nothing if we don't at least split this series with a hot hitting team at their joint. If they blow this lead over losing a Nix or Edmonds, wow talk about losing nearly all that you have built up this season.

edabbs44
09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Seven game lead diminished to almost nothing if we don't at least split this series with a hot hitting team at their joint. If they blow this lead over losing a Nix or Edmonds, wow talk about losing nearly all that you have built up this season.

St Lou headed to Atlanta for four this weekend with Cincy hosting Pitt as well. So any early week wounds could heal nicely this weekend.

TheNext44
09-05-2010, 09:13 PM

If the Reds lose out on the playoffs because they lost the upcoming series with the Rockies because they didn't have enough outfield depth on the bench, then they are never destined to make the playoffs.

A starting player has about a 5% influence on the outcome of any one game. A backup player maybe around 1%. They've gotten by with less. They might get swept by Colorado, but if they do, it won't be because they didn't call up Dorn.

edabbs44
09-05-2010, 09:16 PM
If the Reds lose out on the playoffs because they lost the upcoming series with the Rockies because they didn't have enough outfield depth on the bench, then they are never destined to make the playoffs.

A starting player has about a 5% influence on the outcome of any one game. A backup player maybe around 1%. They've gotten by with less. They might get swept by Colorado, but if they do, it won't be because they didn't call up Dorn.

Agreed. Well put.

Chip R
09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm just surprised the Reds have managed to win so many games this year without Dorn. ;)

membengal
09-06-2010, 08:48 AM
St Lou headed to Atlanta for four this weekend with Cincy hosting Pitt as well. So any early week wounds could heal nicely this weekend.

And don't overlook how testy the Cardinals games at Milwaukee are to start the week. Westbrook/Lohse slated to face that Brewers offense. And Milwaukee plays the Cardinals darn tough.

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2010, 11:21 AM
"This is not the time to just try anybody out there, especially where we're going," Baker said. "If you try somebody out there, you want to do it at a smaller field - like our field. You need Willie Mays, Curt Flood and Paul Blair out there in Colorado."

Willie Mays, err, I mean Jonny Gomes, is starting in left field today. So much for needing top notch defenders in the OF in Coors.

PuffyPig
09-06-2010, 11:32 AM

I doubt we will lose a 7 game lead in the next 4 days simply becuase we don't have Nix or Edmonds.

You are also assuming the Cards win every game in the next 4 days, which is a big assumption when they will be the favorite to win in none of those games.

The odds are that if we get swept in Colorado we will still have a 5 game lead.

And the chance that a back up OF would make much of a difference is pretty slim.

To suggest that we will get swept for that reason?

Relax.

PuffyPig
09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Willie Mays, err, I mean Jonny Gomes, is starting in left field today. So much for needing top notch defenders in the OF in Coors.

Gomes is currently our third best defensive OF able to play today.

FWIW, the Rockies have often had stiffs playing the OF .

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Yeah, but the Reds have known for days they needed another outfielder. The Reds are throwing flyball pitchers this series. I really don't want to see Jonny Gomes patrolling that huge outfield for four games.

edabbs44
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Are we more or less worried about Gomes in the OF this time or before the ARZ/LA/SF trip? Just curious.

Chip R
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Case in point

http://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bichette.jpg

edabbs44
09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Yeah, but the Reds have known for days they needed another outfielder. The Reds are throwing flyball pitchers this series. I really don't want to see Jonny Gomes patrolling that huge outfield for four games.

Gomes has a 1.367 career OPS at Coors in 24 career PAs.

He just might make up for it if he pulls a Gomes in the OF. Which isn't entirely a lock.

marcshoe
09-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Besides that, Mays is out with a bad hammy. Last time I saw him play, he looked as if he'd lost a few steps anyway.

Ghosts of 1990
09-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Do you guys think there is a chance that Bruce and Edmonds are out for the year?

Brutus
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Besides that, Mays is out with a bad hammy. Last time I saw him play, he looked as if he'd lost a few steps anyway.

They could always sign Willie Mays-Hayes.

Runs like Mays, but hits like bleep.

jojo
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Gomes has a 1.367 career OPS at Coors in 24 career PAs.

But he's batting .182/.250/.455 with an OPS=.705 in his last 12 PAs in Coors field..... :p:

Jpup
09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
The Reds need Nix and Bruce back badly. Stubbs is very good but he can't cover the entire Colorado outfield.

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
From John Fay:

–Baker said they Reds may add an outfielder when they return home tomorrow. “I hope so,” he said.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/09/09/notes-on-cabrera-bruce-hanigan-et-al/?GID=rzyYGSSFISWpVfo9n06gGvYiYEZWc/3RCWgPCmHwMYg%3D

OesterPoster
09-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Utterly ridiculous that they've hamstrung Baker by not giving him options in the OF for the entire road trip.

LoganBuck
09-09-2010, 03:13 PM
The Reds need Nix and Bruce back badly. Stubbs is very good but he can't cover the entire Colorado outfield.

Gomes and Heisey have been really bad out there of late.

If I have to watch Heisey stumbling around trying to pick another ball up off the ground, or in the corner I am going to flip out. The more you see of him the less you like. Makes you really appreciate just how good Jay Bruce is out there.

TheNext44
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
From John Fay:

–Baker said they Reds may add an outfielder when they return home tomorrow. “I hope so,” he said.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/09/09/notes-on-cabrera-bruce-hanigan-et-al/?GID=rzyYGSSFISWpVfo9n06gGvYiYEZWc/3RCWgPCmHwMYg%3D

That could very likely just be Bruce or Nix.

LoganBuck
09-09-2010, 03:22 PM
That could very likely just be Bruce or Nix.

Last night on the radio broadcast, it was revealed that Nix is far away. Dusty's quote went something like "He isn't any better now than he was two weeks ago". Not quite word for word but close.

I get the feeling they are going to call someone up.

backbencher
09-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I get the feeling they are going to call someone up.

It would be unfortunate to use a 40-man spot at this point, but the first obligation is the playoffs and you do what you have to do. I would imagine that a free agent or minor trade is more likely than Sappelt or Dorn.

Brutus
09-09-2010, 04:46 PM
It would be unfortunate to use a 40-man spot at this point, but the first obligation is the playoffs and you do what you have to do. I would imagine that a free agent or minor trade is more likely than Sappelt or Dorn.

Well it's not like they're doing anything with Del Rosario. I'm not sure that would be a huge loss.

dougdirt
09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Well it's not like they're doing anything with Del Rosario. I'm not sure that would be a huge loss.

Eh, just 60 day Edmonds. And I would 100% rather keep Del Rosario than Herrera.

backbencher
09-09-2010, 05:35 PM

I don't disagree, but neither seems likely. The front office clearly plans on having Edmonds available for the postseason. And Herrera is still on the roster, I assume, as protection against a Rhodes departure. Lefty relievers are pricey.

I would see a Dorn callup as most likely, as the Reds may think he might make it back through waivers later. Sappelt is a much more interesting decision.

Brutus
09-09-2010, 06:12 PM

Disagree. Herrera is another LHP option.

Also, I'm not going to give up on the chance Edmonds could be available in October. If you 60-day him, you eliminate any possibility of using him. He still has 4 weeks to get healthy. He could be tremendously helpful in the playoffs so don't take away that option.

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Is there any good reason at all why the Reds just played seven games in St. Louis and Colorado with only three healthy outfielders? And that includes Heisey, who has struggled mightily lately. Horrible decision by Jocketty. Dorn or Sappelt should have been called up before the St. Louis series.

Cedric
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Is there any good reason at all why the Reds just played seven games in St. Louis and Colorado with only three healthy outfielders? And that includes Heisey, who has struggled mightily lately. Horrible decision by Jocketty. Dorn or Sappelt should have been called up before the St. Louis series.

Not a good reason at all. I've come to expect the unreasonable when it comes to this type of move though.

Being proactive and not reactive with the 25 man roster is something the Reds FO isn't good at.

Brutus
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Heisey is 18-for-85 since the first of August with one homer (which came in the second game of that month). In that time he has 24 K's and 5 walks.

edabbs44
09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Heisey is 18-for-85 since the first of August with one homer (which came in the second game of that month). In that time he has 24 K's and 5 walks.

I'm stunned that Heisey is struggling this badly.

edabbs44
09-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Honestly, is calling up unproven guys like them really the move? If Dorn came up and did a poor job, there would be similar criticisms.

klw
09-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I expect Balentin will be brought up this weekend. He is off the DL and in the lineup tonight, even though it is as a DH.

Big Klu
09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Honestly, is calling up unproven guys like them really the move? If Dorn came up and did a poor job, there would be similar criticisms.

We would also have to endure an endless amount of griping over who was removed from the 40-man roster to make room for whomever was called up.

membengal
09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
We would also have to endure an endless amount of griping over who was removed from the 40-man roster to make room for whomever was called up.

If it is DRH removed, I am guessing the griping will be rather the opposite of endless...

LoganBuck
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
If it is DRH removed, I am guessing the griping will be rather the opposite of endless...

The "We traded Josh Hamilton for a pitcher with an injured rag arm, and a guy we just released" crowd will fire up.

RedsManRick
09-09-2010, 10:10 PM
The "We traded Josh Hamilton for a pitcher with an injured rag arm, and a guy we just released" crowd will fire up.

Before they realize that Hamilton is out for an extended period of time himself due to yet another injury... the guys is awesome, but he's made of glass.

Ron Madden
09-10-2010, 03:01 AM
Jim Edmonds has a torn muscle in his side, he himself, made that fact public.

Jim Edmonds is forty freakin years old! He should have been on the 60 day DL long ago.

blumj
09-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Jim Edmonds has a torn muscle in his side, he himself, made that fact public.

Jim Edmonds is forty freakin years old! He should have been on the 60 day DL long ago.

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_mp_flesh_5.3.jpg

jojo
09-10-2010, 10:06 AM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_mp_flesh_5.3.jpg

Alright now how do ya get pop off of your monitor? :D