membengal
09-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Aramis Ramirez goes yard. 7-3 Cubs.

HokieRed
09-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Ramirez takes Hawksworth deep. 7-3.

oregonred
Hawksworth delivers with a 2-run Cubbie HR. Now 7-3 Little Bears. Dreams are coming to an end. Quote from the Cards announcers. Love it...

Cedric
I love Hawksworth.

membengal
And with that I switch from the Cubs TV to the Cards TV. Time for some tears to nurture my soul.

membengal
09-15-2010, 10:37 PM
"The best fans in baseball" are disguised as a bevy of empty seats tonite...

oregonred
09-15-2010, 10:37 PM
And with that I switch from the Cubs TV to the Cards TV. Time for some tears to nurture my soul.

Like watching a wake... 40K silent souls in attendance.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Cards announcers talking about Opening Day 2011.

membengal
09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Cards announcers talking about Opening Day 2011.

Yup, lots of discussion of the 2011 schedule on their broadcast as that inning unfolded.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
I love Hawksworth.

Am I allowed to use a Cardinals avatar?

vaticanplum
09-15-2010, 10:42 PM
The only bad thing about the Cubs continuing to win is the delay of Chip's annual goat thread.

All good things in time.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Did I hear that right, the Cardinals are 7-51 when scoring three runs or less?? That's incredible.

Cedric
09-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Sure seems like the Cardinals quit this year.

I think Brandon pegged them for what they are honestly. They are front runners.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Onto the 9th. 7-3 Goat Masters...

kaldaniels
09-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Did I hear that right, the Cardinals are 7-51 when scoring three runs or less?? That's incredible.

I don't know what the norm is, but that means you gotta allow 2 runs or less. For many teams I'd say that is a 1 in 8 proposition.

Edit - a quick check reveals 1 in 8 was extreme, but no team is going to have a nice looking W-L in games that they score 3 or less....that was the point. Holding a club to 2 or less is tough.

corkedbat
09-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Yup, lots of discussion of the 2011 schedule on their broadcast as that inning unfolded.

With the surplus talent the Walt has to work with vs. the lack of talent and the personnel issues the Cards have, we've got a chance to widen the gap even more next year.

oneupper
09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
With the surplus talent the Walt has to work with vs. the lack of talent and the personnel issues the Cards have, we've got a chance to widen the gap even more next year.

I have an inkling the problem won't be the Cards next year, but Astros and Cubs.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't know what the norm is, but that means you gotta allow 2 runs or less. For many teams I'd say that is a 1 in 8 proposition.

I think it should be more like 1 out of 4 or 5... Usually a few 3-2, 3-1, 2-0 and 2-1 type wins on any given night.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I have an inkling the problem won't be the Cards next year, but Astros and Cubs.

Yeah, I'm curious too. They are both playing much better ball over the last two months. But, we've seen late season Fools Gold for a decade up close and personal.

HokieRed
09-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Goes to bottom 9, Cubs 7-3.

reds44
09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for the Cubbies after this season. With the way we handled them, and the way they handled the Cards, it was a beautiful thing.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Cubs pen trying to go Co-Co on us. 1st and 3rd with one out.

reds44
09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Tying run up.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Uh-oh... Bases jacked for Holliday.

reds44
09-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Holliday Ks.

2 outs.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Marmol is no Co-Co on a 1-2 count. Whiff...

oregonred
09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPP. A closer with stuff.

membengal
09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Bye.

First three game sweep for Chicago in StL since 1988. No lie.

Magic number now 10.

reds44
09-15-2010, 11:08 PM

membengal
That Cubs sweep came over Garcia/Wainwright/Carpenter. So, yeah.

Brutus
"The best fans in baseball" are disguised as a bevy of empty seats tonite...

To their credit, I believe i read they have 41,000 for Monday's game.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Cards now below .500 vs. the Division. Without the 12-6 against the Good Guys, the reds would be up by 14 games.

Cubs/Cards is a huge rivalry. Most of the 40K were sold by Opening Day. Impressive, the Cardinals must have a 30K+ season ticket base cause that place looked like Dolphin Stadium by the 9th inning.

WVRedsFan
09-15-2010, 11:11 PM
White flag flown earlier. We just gotta go 10-6 and the Cards can do whatever they want.

membengal
09-15-2010, 11:11 PM
To their credit, I believe i read they have 41,000 for Monday's game.

Tickets sold, but not butts in seats.

HeatherC1212
09-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Um wow. If someone would have told me about this scenerio that the Reds have going right now back before the season started, I would have called them totally crazy. This is fun! :D

WVRedsFan
09-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Um wow. If someone would have told me about this scenerio that the Reds have going right now back before the season started, I would have called them totally crazy. This is fun! :DHeather, I think the vast majority of us felt the same way at the beginning of the season. I was just hoping for a winning season as my icon says. Back during the Reds Caravan, when I asked Dusty or actually told him we had to have a winning season, he thrust his fist upward and said we had to do that. I guess I should have paid attention.

It's been a blast after so many years of frustration. Fun, fun, fun,

traderumor
09-15-2010, 11:25 PM
White flag flown earlier. We just gotta go 10-6 and the Cards can do whatever they want.I've been counting down a little bit differently, looking at the minimum we have to win depending on the Cards record. For example, if the Cards go 12-6 the rest of the way, we only need 4 wins, 13-5 we need 5 wins, etc. It really illustrated to me the uphill battle they are fighting. At this stage, they are basically in "need to win" mode and the Reds fall off the cliff, but just can't get it done so far.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Yep, the math works nicely when the games fall off the schedule. 5 up with 22 left looked a bit scary on Thursday, now 8-up with 16 left a week later is a godsend. The Cardinals had their chance with the Reds 3-7 swoon, but losing multiple consecutive series and having a 2-11 late season stretch against the Brewers/Cubs/Pirates and Nats is almost inexplicable.

Reds go 8-8
Cards go 17-1

1 game playoff...

Nice math

Playadlc
09-15-2010, 11:50 PM
The hilarious part about this whole scenario is that Houston will probably end up finishing 2nd.

Sea Ray
09-15-2010, 11:55 PM
The way the Cardinals are playing they'll be hard pressed to play better than 8-10 which would mean the Reds don't even have to win any more games.

Carpenter came up lame in the 7th inning tonight. I don't know how serious it is but their rotation may have lost both Carpenter and Garcia this week

corkedbat
09-15-2010, 11:58 PM
The way the Cardinals are playing they'll be hard pressed to play better than 8-10 which would mean the Reds don't even have to win any more games.

Carpenter came up lame in the 7th inning tonight. I don't know how serious it is but their rotation may have lost both Carpenter and Garcia this week

Then too, St. Adam proclaimed he would not lose again last week an took the mound yesterday (or was it Monday? (and LOST. Their baseball gods have abandoned them. Then again, despite FCB's protestations to the contrary, I've felt all season long that St. Louis might be... a House of Cards. :D

VR
09-16-2010, 12:04 AM
The Cards stayed in it all year on the backs of Wainwright, Carp, Garcia, Pujols, and Holliday.
It is powerfully obvious that they have all worn down, and there is nothing left to carry them.

Outshined_One
09-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Jaime Garcia was just shut down for the season.

Edit: Or maybe not. There's conflicting info on whether he's done for the year or just skipping a start.

Captain Hook
09-16-2010, 02:39 AM
I think the Cards are about to shut it down.Albert hasn't played the last two games and Priss is now having some kind of problem(conflicting reports in tonights game thread of what his problem is exactly)and then this report about Garcia.

9-7 the rest of the way for the Reds would mean the Cards would have to go undefeated to catch them and the WC won't be any easier for them.They're toast.

Ron Madden
09-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Right now the Cards are taking a standing 8 count, let's go ahead and Knock 'em Out!

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2010, 03:19 PM
4-3 homestand against two teams that are a combined 68 games below .500, and two of the wins were in extra innings against the Pirates, and another ended on a game saving catch by Jay Bruce. The Reds offense was shut down by the likes of Paul Maholm, Charlie Morton, Brian Burres, and Rodrigo Lopez, all of which are bad pitchers. Right now, the Reds are backing into the playoffs. I'll definitely take that over not making the playoffs at all but this isn't how I envisioned the Reds ending the season. Hopefully they get hot again soon and carry that into the postseason.

Homer Bailey
09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Ebb and flow of a 162 game season. Nothing to see here.

Reds are banged up. Still at the top or near the top in every offensive category.

No need to for anyone to overreact to a winning homestand.

pedro
09-16-2010, 03:32 PM
4-3 homestand against two teams that are a combined 68 games below .500, and two of the wins were in extra innings against the Pirates, and another ended on a game saving catch by Jay Bruce. The Reds offense was shut down by the likes of Paul Maholm, Charlie Morton, Brian Burres, and Rodrigo Lopez, all of which are bad pitchers. Right now, the Reds are backing into the playoffs. I'll definitely take that over not making the playoffs at all but this isn't how I envisioned the Reds ending the season. Hopefully they get hot again soon and carry that into the postseason.

In 1990 they were a .500 team after May. No sense in getting too upset. The season starts anew in the playoffs and they best be ready for that challenge.

Reds Freak
09-16-2010, 03:34 PM

After a 15-year absence, I didn't think so many on here would be concerned with 'how' this team got into the posteason. A team gets into the postseason by winning its division and it looks like the Reds are going to do that by a comfortable margin. How is that backing in?

OBM, I'm not saying you're not happy with making the playoffs, I know you are. But it's almost getting to the point where these last few weeks are essentially spring training games...

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
After a 15-year absence, I didn't think so many on here would be concerned with 'how' this team got into the posteason. A team gets into the postseason by winning its division and it looks like the Reds are going to do that by a comfortable margin. How is that backing in?

As the season advances on you adjust your goals. Before the season started the goal was for the Reds to have a winning season. After a few months when it became apparent the Reds had a good team, I elevated my goal to the Reds reaching the playoffs. Now that that appears to be a strong possibility, the new goal is for the team to put themselves in the best case scenario to advance in the playoffs. For me, the best case scenario is to gain some homefield advantage in round one and avoid the Phillies. If the Reds continue struggling down the stretch they're going to put themselves in a position where they'll have to travel to Philly to begin the postseason...

pedro
09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
As the season advances on you adjust your goals. Before the season started the goal was for the Reds to have a winning season. After a few months when it became apparent the Reds had a good team, I elevated my goal to the Reds reaching the playoffs. Now that that appears to be a strong possibility, the new goal is for the team to put themselves in the best case scenario to advance in the playoffs. For me, the best case scenario is to gain some homefield advantage in round one and avoid the Phillies. If the Reds continue struggling down the stretch they're going to put themselves in a position where they'll have to travel to Philly to begin the postseason...

Any possibility that you might just try to enjoy it at some point?

Are the Reds better off not getting healthy and resting their starters a bit and getting to playoffs worn out and sore?

Reds Freak
09-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Everyone keeps saying how the Reds need to avoid Philadelphia, but they really don't have a whole lot of control over it and at some point you're going to have to beat them anyway...

Here's an interesting article BTW from Joe Sheehan about home-field advantage (or lack thereof): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_sheehan/09/15/homefield.advantage/index.html?eref=si_writers

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Any possibility that you might just try to enjoy it at some point?

Are the Reds better off not getting healthy and resting their starters a bit and getting to playoffs worn out and sore?

Who said I'm not enjoying it? I've had a blast this season. Why are we not allowed to show some frustration over the Reds losing games they should have won and costing themselves better playoff positioning?

pedro
09-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Who said I'm not enjoying it? I've had a blast this season. Why am I not allowed to show some frustration over the Reds losing games they should have won and costing themselves better playoff positioning?

Oh you are, you just don't seem like you are enjoying it and I would hope you are, it's been a long time coming.

westofyou
09-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Who said I'm not enjoying it? I've had a blast this season. Why are we not allowed to show some frustration over the Reds losing games they should have won and costing themselves better playoff positioning?

Seems to me that a team like the Reds sitting at 82 wins at this juncture has probably won just as many (if not more) games that they should have lost, then lost games they should have won.

Boss-Hog
09-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Seems to me that a team like the Reds sitting at 82 wins at this juncture has probably won just as many (if not more) games that they should have lost, then lost games they should have won.
Exactly. Games the Reds "should have won" are strictly in the eye of the beholder, especially when you consider games on the opposite end of the spectrum.

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it's hard for me to get too excited over a 4-3 homestand against the DBacks and Pirates. I just see wasted opportunities. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying this season. It's been a great year.

reds44
09-16-2010, 06:18 PM
The Reds are going to win the division, there's not a lot to be upset with right now until the playoffs start.

traderumor
09-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it's hard for me to get too excited over a 4-3 homestand against the DBacks and Pirates. I just see wasted opportunities. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying this season. It's been a great year.We could have just gotten swept at home by the Cubs.

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2010, 07:05 PM
The Reds are going to win the division, there's not a lot to be upset with right now until the playoffs start.

Maybe so, but I would rather finish strong and face the Braves/Giants/Padres as opposed to backing in and playing the tougher Phillies.

Redsfan320
09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
The Cards-Pads game will be on MLBN in SOME AREAS. Otherwise, you'll get Twins & ChiSox

edabbs44
09-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe so, but I would rather finish strong and face the Braves/Giants/Padres as opposed to backing in and playing the tougher Phillies.

Don't treat every game/series like Game 7 of the WS. You're gonna be burnt out for when that actual game comes. Enjoy this for what it is.

TheNext44
09-16-2010, 09:45 PM
This should make OBM feel better...

Watching the Cards/Padres game, the Cardinal announcers are talking about how the Cards could play the spoiler roll in this series. :D

Reds Freak
09-16-2010, 11:36 PM

1) There's no such thing as backing in. The Reds are going to win the division by 5+ games, I fail to see how that's backing in.

2) The Reds have no control over who they play in the playoffs really. Let's say the Phillies go on a little slide to end the year and end up as the wild card team. Let's say the Reds end up with the best record in the NL. Guess who the Reds are playing in the first round?

traderumor
09-17-2010, 09:31 AM
I want the Padres to make the playoffs and play them. Their offense is so putrid that if you scratch out a few runs, they're done. Man, that is a bad lineup.

cumberlandreds
09-17-2010, 10:31 AM
1) There's no such thing as backing in. The Reds are going to win the division by 5+ games, I fail to see how that's backing in.

I agree with that. If fact I don't think any team that wins a division in MLB ever backs into the playoffs. The season is too long to make that observation. The only way someone could justify that would be if a team was barely over .500 in a very poor division. Even then I'm not sure I could say someone backed in.

cumberlandreds
09-17-2010, 10:32 AM
I want the Padres to make the playoffs and play them. Their offense is so putrid that if you scratch out a few runs, they're done. Man, that is a bad lineup.

That would be the best matchup for the Reds. But right now I really doubt the Padres make it in. The wheels are coming off pretty fast.

Matt700wlw
09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree with that. If fact I don't think any team that wins a division in MLB ever backs into the playoffs. The season is too long to make that observation. The only way someone could justify that would be if a team was barely over .500 in a very poor division. Even then I'm not sure I could say someone backed in.

2006 St Louis Cardinals....83 wins, World Champions.

Proof that once you're in, anything can happen.

cumberlandreds
09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
2006 St Louis Cardinals....83 wins, World Champions.

Proof that once you're in, anything can happen.

Exactly. The 1973 Mets had,IIRC,82 wins. They upset the Reds in the NLCS and took the A's to 7 games in the World Series. Once your in,it really is a new season.

TheNext44
09-17-2010, 10:44 AM

I want the Reds to play the Padres in the first round, but it's just because I live a short drive from San Diego. :D

traderumor
09-17-2010, 02:54 PM
I like the pitching matchup to get us a game closer in St. Looey tonight, with Latos vs. Lohse. Of course, Lohse outpitched Hudson on Sunday, so I'm not putting any of my hard-earned cash on that prediction...;)

OnBaseMachine
09-17-2010, 11:14 PM
4-9 in their last 13 games. Lead is trimmed to six with 14 games remaining, and the Cardinals still have six games remaining with the Pirates. I know I'll take some more crap for this, but I am far from comfortable with this lead. The offense is averaging 3.75 runs per game in September, and that includes seven games against the DBacks and Pirates.

Don't get me wrong, a six game lead with 14 to go is a good place to be in. But that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with it, especially with the way the Reds have played in the last two weeks.

HokieRed
09-17-2010, 11:15 PM
4-9 in their last 13 games. Lead is trimmed to six with 14 games remaining, and the Cardinals still have six games remaining with the Pirates. I know I'll take some more crap for this, but I am far from comfortable with this lead. The offense is averaging 3.75 runs per game in September, and that includes seven games against the DBacks and Pirates.

You'll take no crap from me, OBM. As far as I'm concerned, this thing is a long way from being over.

Brutus
09-17-2010, 11:16 PM

Don't get me wrong, a six game lead with 14 to go is a good place to be in. But that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with it, especially with the way the Reds have played in the last two weeks.

In those 13 games, the Cardinals have gained only 1 game on the Reds.

That's the kind of race this is.

westofyou
09-17-2010, 11:18 PM

No lead is safe, but I've heard that the Cards have poopy in there pants, therefore I am not worried.

Tony Cloninger
09-17-2010, 11:19 PM
In those 13 games, the Cardinals have gained only 1 game on the Reds.

That's the kind of race this is.

Yeah the kind that goes horrible wrong before you know it. I mean we are all aware of the Phillies 1964 debacle and what the Mets did a few years back.
Is that likely too happen? NO. But 3.75 runs against some really bad pitching staffs at home.....there is something wrong here. It's Votto and nothing else...and I mean nothing.

edabbs44
09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah the kind that goes horrible wrong before you know it. I mean we are all aware of the Phillies 1964 debacle and what the Mets did a few years back.
Is that likely too happen? NO. But 3.75 runs against some really bad pitching staffs at home.....there is something wrong here. It's Votto and nothing else...and I mean nothing.

OCab baby, OCab.

Brutus
09-17-2010, 11:36 PM

People sometimes win the lottery. But the chances of my winning it are remote at best.

We could all get struck by lightning, doesn't mean I'm going to be afraid to go outdoors everytime there's cloud cover.

Why is everyone so afraid to relax? If things go wrong, they go wrong. But why not enjoy the fact it's going to take a mathematical improbability for this team not to finally get to the postseason? The worrying won't stop it from happening, and neither would optimism.

I just think all the worrying is getting in the way of people truly soaking all this in. This should be happy, exciting times down the stretch. Enjoy it while it lasts instead of fretting over every single loss.

6 games ahead with 14 to play is huge. Yeah something could go wrong. So what? The chances that it will are still extremely dim.

Homer Bailey
09-17-2010, 11:38 PM
People sometimes win the lottery. But the chances of my winning it are remote at best.

We could all get struck by lightning, doesn't mean I'm going to be afraid to go outdoors everytime there's cloud cover.

Why is everyone so afraid to relax? If things go wrong, they go wrong. But why not enjoy the fact it's going to take a mathematical improbability for this team not to finally get to the postseason? The worrying won't stop it from happening, and neither would optimism.

I just think all the worrying is getting in the way of people truly soaking all this in. This should be happy, exciting times down the stretch. Enjoy it while it lasts instead of fretting over every single loss.

6 games ahead with 14 to play is huge. Yeah something could go wrong. So what? The chances that it will are still extremely dim.

Spot. On.

corkedbat
09-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I still think we can hold off the Cards, but I don't like losing a quarter of our lead in two nights. We really could use two or three wins in a row - not just to keep the Cards at bay, but to stay close for that number 2 record (at least). I'd like to avoid the Phillies in the 1st round (Giants too for that matter).

BearcatShane
09-18-2010, 12:52 AM

I'm relaxed but I really just want to TKO the Cards so I can really relax and enjoy the last week or so of the season. For the first time in my LIFE I just want to watch baseball games in the last week of September and know there are greater battles on the horizon. I just don't want the Reds to add there name to that list of teams that blew huge leads. I'm enjoying the year but its hard to enjoy it at this exact moment when the Reds have lost 10 of 15. Just TKO the Cards.

oregonred
09-18-2010, 01:05 AM
IMO, easily the worst stretch of the season for the Reds. 5-10 in the last fifteen and 1-7 in the last eight on the road. 4-3 homestand against the two worst teams in the NL with two lackluster efforts against Arizona and that took a Bruce "save" from being worse. The offense has gone into hibernation and has blown four decent starting efforts against sub .500 teams since Sunday alone. The pen is suddenly a mess. Chapman may not be the savior...

The Cardinals are only five back in the loss column. This thing, while mathematically still improbable albeit a lot less than only a mere 36 hours ago, is far from over. And now at only 18 over .500, we've gone from best record in the NL to staring at the #4 playoff slot.

I was feeling really good on Wed night, but now I am not feeling so well about the way things are going. Something just feels different in the last 2+ weeks. Nothing is coming easy for this team and a flukish abysmal stretch by STL against some bad teams is the only way the magic number has widdled down to the encouraging 10 mark. If Phillips and Rolen were 100% I wouldn't be worried.

Team needs to get back on track and take the next two games in Houston. Hopefully it is just the ebb and flow of the season, but the last two weeks since the Holliday homer against the Homer hasn't been a whole lot of fun.

oregonred
09-18-2010, 01:07 AM
We have 30 "events" the rest of the season.

Only 10 of the 30 have to go the Reds way (Reds wins or Cardinal losses)

The math is still in our favor bigtime, but it was an even more improbable 10 of 34 only 36 hours ago...

Scrap Irony
09-18-2010, 09:21 AM

You'll take no crap from me, OBM. As far as I'm concerned, this thing is a long way from being over.

If you'd like to take the rest of the NL Central and I take the Reds, I'll be happy to bet you whatever amount of money you'd like on the outcome of the NL Central pennant.

Are they struggling? Of course they are. They're worn out. Tired arms, tired legs, tired bodies. They're also having to deal with injured players across the roster. (Really, the only guys who're not publically knicked up are Votto, Cueto, Arroyo, and Stubbs.)

Does that mean they are going to blow it? Not against the Cardinals, they're not.

Ron Madden
09-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Padres and Cardinals game is on Fox Game Of The Week right now. (9/18/10)

Ron Madden
09-18-2010, 04:56 PM
The San Diego offense sure looks weak, very impotent lineup.

Ron Madden
09-18-2010, 05:28 PM
St. Louis 1 San Diego 0 after 4 innings.

Ron Madden
09-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Cardinals 2 Padres 1 after 5 innings.

Both St. Lois runs coming from wild pitches.

Reds Freak
09-18-2010, 06:12 PM
After watching the Padres offense, I vow never to complain about Reds hitters again...

OnBaseMachine
09-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Padres are down 2-1 in the 7th inning but currently have runners on second and third with nobody out.

Tornon
09-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Tie game, still 2 runners on & no one out

OnBaseMachine
09-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Sac bunt puts runners on 2nd and 3rd with only one out and Tejada up.

Tejada singles in a run to make it 3-2 Padres and they have runners on the corners with only one out.

TheNext44
3-2 Padres. 1st &3rd one out. New pitcher

Tornon
Tejada singled, 3-2 Pads. 1 out now still 2 runners on

Tornon
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
AGon single, 4-2 Pads

Ron Madden
09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Cards have runners on the corners with one out in the 7th.

Base hit 4-3 Padres lead, Cards have runners on 2nd and 3rd with two out bottom of the 7th inning.

paulrichjr
09-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Tie game

OnBaseMachine
09-18-2010, 07:01 PM
The Padres bullpen, which has been dominant all season, just gave up a hit to the great Pedro Feliz to tie the game.

Tony Cloninger
09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Good grief....the Cardinals have life. Or else they just really know how to get up for big games.

Ron Madden
09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Tied at 4 going into the top of the 8th inning

OnBaseMachine
09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Ryan Ludwick 3-run HR in the top of the 9th! 7-4 Padres!

RBA
09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
7-4 Padres top 9 1 out

kaldaniels
09-18-2010, 07:32 PM

love it!

Ron Madden
09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Three run Homer from Ludwik gives the Padres a 7-4 lead with 1 out in the top of the 9th. :thumbup:

oneupper
09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Stairs goes yard 8-4!

OnBaseMachine
09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Matt Stairs homers to make it 8-4!

pedro
09-18-2010, 07:38 PM

THAT, is sweet fruit indeed.

Ghosts of 1990
09-18-2010, 07:48 PM
First event of the 30 is going to go our way. Thank you Ryan Ludwick! Baseball has such a rich irony sometimes; and sometimes you're on the wrong side of it.

Tony Cloninger
09-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Los Padres showing some cajones.

membengal
09-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Thank you Ryan Ludwick. That has the added benefit of being in the that-had-to-hurt-extra category to Cards fans and his former teammates.

traderumor
09-18-2010, 10:27 PM
We have 30 "events" the rest of the season.

Only 10 of the 30 have to go the Reds way (Reds wins or Cardinal losses)

The math is still in our favor bigtime, but it was an even more improbable 10 of 34 only 36 hours ago...This post made my day all day today because it shows the light work the Reds have left to do and the massive odds that the Cards have to overcome. Add to that we seem to be getting healthy after the injury bug hit for the first time this season and the Cards are starting to struggle with guys running out of gas or nagging injuries, and the numbers are definitely in our favor.

Now, it is only 8 of 28 events going the Reds way :)

oregonred
09-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Now, it is only 8 of 28 events going the Reds way :)

Yep 8 of 28 is a lot better than 10 of 30 and that was already very favorable odds. Huge win last night following the Padres help.

For the third Sunday in a row, a chance to really put a nail in the Cardinals postseason chances and start focusing on securing the #2 playoff seed.

WebScorpion
09-19-2010, 02:37 AM
For the third Sunday in a row, a chance to really put a nail in the Cardinals postseason chances and start focusing on securing the #2 playoff seed.
I'd say the nail is already in. If we went 6-7 for the remainder of the season, they'd need to go 14-1 to tie and force a one game playoff. Let's say they really go on a tear and go 10-5 to finish the season...the Reds would only need to go 3-10 to win. Kiss the Cards good-bye! :D
On a side note, if we win tomorrow, both Houston and Milwaukee will be mathematically eliminated. BOOM! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

TheNext44
09-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Who is everyone going to root for today, StL or SD?

Home field advantage is at stake.

redsmetz
09-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Who is everyone going to root for today, StL or SD?

Home field advantage is at stake.

Oh it's still absolutely rooting for the Padres. I want the clinch out of the way. Once we've clinched, I'll think about the other factors. Trounce the Cardinals, Pads.

GAC
09-19-2010, 08:41 AM
I really don't want to see the Rockies in the post-season, but they definitely are en fuego in September when it matters. You play for that opportunity, and I'm ecstatic at what the Reds have accomplished this year.... BUT.....I think the Reds are going to have a rough go of it in the post-season simply when one looks at the possible pairings/scenarios, and how we did vs some of those teams during the regular season.

Right now it's Philly, SD, and Atlanta (WC). I much prefer that then Philly, Colorado, and Giants. So c'mon Braves and Padres!!!!

I'm hoping the Reds hurry up and clinch the division, because I will definitely be a Card's fan that last 4 game series of the year when the Rockies come to St Louis. The Rockies have pretty much owned the Cards these last few years, but I'm hoping the Cards dash their post-season hopes in that series.

If not, I could almost see the Rockies making it to the WS.

PuffyPig
09-19-2010, 09:28 AM

Isn't "putting a nail in the Cards coffin" and "securing the #2 playoff seed" the same thing? We just need to win.

So, we need to win, so we can focus on winning.

Redsfan320
09-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Oh it's still absolutely rooting for the Padres. I want the clinch out of the way. Once we've clinched, I'll think about the other factors. Trounce the Cardinals, Pads.

For one, yes, this. For another, there was a time when I was like a lot: "Respect the Cards, hate the Cubs." But now, I will never again root for the Cards.

vaticanplum
09-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Chip, the Cubs have officially been eliminated from playoff competition.

Just saying.

OnBaseMachine
09-19-2010, 07:19 PM
The Brewers were officially eliminated from the NL Central race today. The magic number to eliminate the Astros is two. Eight for the Cardinals.

Chip R
09-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Just saying.

:jump:

RFS62
09-20-2010, 07:15 AM

Just saying.

:D:beerme::D

membengal
09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Cardinals make-up game in Florida is today. First pitch in about an hour.

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 02:14 PM

According to Yahoo Sports its Carpenter against Volstad. I wonder how many will be attending that game? Maybe 1000?

traderumor
09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Today should tell us if Crissy is healthy or not after getting pulled for being a tight....oops I mean his hamstring was acting up :)

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Cards go out in order in the 1st.

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Fish go out in order too. Nil to nil after one.

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
A leadoff double by Holliday is wasted as the Cards go out in order after that. No score in the 2nd.

Sea Ray
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM

I thought they were going to make that up on the Monday after the season. Did I get that wrong?

membengal
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
GRAND SLAM FISH!!!!!!!!!

4-0 Marlins.

cumberlandreds
GRAND SLAM by Brad Davis(?) to give the Fish a 4-0 lead.

membengal
That would be the immortal Brad Davis, catcher, who did the deed.

traderumor
09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Brad Davis Grand Slam bot 2nd 4-0.

I'm sure his hamstring just started hurting ;)

membengal
09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
To set that up, the Cardinals walked Mike Stanton to get to Davis with the bases loaded, and one out.

Didn't work...

traderumor
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Crissy's ERA is now up to 3.35 since calling Dusty a bad name. Voodoo dolls?

Sea Ray
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
GRAND SLAM FISH!!!!!!!!!

4-0 Marlins.

:thumbup:

The Voice of IH
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
awesome!

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
4-0 Fish after two. :thumbup:

The Voice of IH
09-20-2010, 03:43 PM
well that was a really fast top 3!

cumberlandreds
Cards go out in order in the third. 4-0 Fish

membengal
The good Chris Volstad seems to have shown up. Which is delightful, obviously.

traderumor
You know that when the Cards are eliminated they are going to point to things like this makeup game and 31 games in 31 days and put that on their offseason official "Cardinals excuse shirt."

membengal
09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Fish get back to back singles to start their half of the third, runners at first and third and no outs, middle of the Fish order up.

membengal
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Uggla pops out, Gaby Sanchez up with one out and runners still on first and third.

membengal
09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Every fan that showed up in Florida gets their own section, by the way.

membengal
09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Sanchez Ks. Chad Tracy up to try and salvage the Marlins threat.

membengal
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Tracy Ks. Threat by the boards.

4-0 Marlins after 3.

Homer Bailey
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
http://twitpic.com/2qe2sl

NO ONE there

redhawkfish
09-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Just got in from work. Is the Marlins /Cards game on TV?

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Wasted chance for the Fish to put this game away early. Still 4-0 Fish. So far the Cardinal bats don't seem too interested in this game. Hope it continues.

traderumor
09-20-2010, 03:54 PM

NO ONE thereI bet its 90% Cards fans there ;)

cumberlandreds
Just got in from work. Is the Marlins /Cards game on TV?

If you get the Extra Innings package it's on that. Channel 721 on DirecTv.

redhawkfish
Thanks CR!

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
A walk to Pujols is all the Cards do in their 4th. 4-0 Fish in the 4th.

membengal
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Volstad works around walks to Pujols and Rasmus. Still 4-0 Marlins middle of four.

Interesting note...this is Volstad's first start since serving his 8-game suspension for his part in the Marlins/Nats brawl. So maybe that's why his fastball seems to have a bit more steam and his curve ball more snap so far. He's been pretty sharp.

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Fish go down in the 4th. Still 4-0 Marlins.

muddie
09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Tip of the hat to former Mudcat Chris Volstad and others in this one. Go Fish!

membengal
09-20-2010, 04:19 PM
4-0 Marlins after 5.

Jay/Pujols/Holliday/Rasmus part of Cardinal order on tap for Volstad.

OesterPoster
09-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Carpenter at 79 through 5.
Volstad at 70 through 5.

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Volstad wriggles out of two out jam with no damage. 4-0 Fish in the 6th.

Brutus
09-20-2010, 04:28 PM
If the Cardinals lose this game, I don't want to imagine the complaining La Russa will do after the game about having to play this.

camisadelgolf
09-20-2010, 04:29 PM
[insert whining and a lame excuse by Carpenter for giving up the grand slam]

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
After 6, 4-0 Fish.

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Cards out in order in the 7th.

Chip R
09-20-2010, 04:37 PM
If the Cardinals lose this game, I don't want to imagine the complaining La Russa will do after the game about having to play this.

I'm not sure how much whining he can do. They chose to play it on this date when they could have played it the day after the season at home. Of course playing it after the season brings up all kinds of problems with scheduling. What if there's a playoff? What if there's a rainout? That's not even mentioning all the travel that would go on.

Brutus
09-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure how much whining he can do. They chose to play it on this date when they could have played it the day after the season at home. Of course playing it after the season brings up all kinds of problems with scheduling. What if there's a playoff? What if there's a rainout? That's not even mentioning all the travel that would go on.

True but when have you ever known La Russa to apply logic and reason to his complaining?

OesterPoster
09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Stanton with a leadoff single in the 7th off that St. Louis pitcher who is "better than Volquez".

Chip R
09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
They certainly are playing this game in a hurry.

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
They certainly are playing this game in a hurry.

The Cards can't wait to get to Pittsburgh. ;)

The Fish go out in the 7th. 4-0 Marlins

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Cards out in order in the 8th. 4-0 Fish. I feel that 7 number coming up pretty fast now.

traderumor
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Man, went to pee and the Cards were out. They sure aren't playing like a team hoping to come back.

Brutus
09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Man, went to pee and the Cards were out. They sure aren't playing like a team hoping to come back.

Their fans have remarked on a few of their boards that it looks today like they want no part in playing this game.

cumberlandreds
09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
4-0 going to the 9th. Someone can take over for the save for me. Time to call it a day.

OesterPoster
09-20-2010, 04:59 PM
1 down. Volstad going for the complete game.

OesterPoster
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
2 down.

membengal
09-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Volstad brings it home.

Magic number down to 7.

Tornon
09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
That was quick

membengal
09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
An absolute gem from Volstad. Or the Cardinals didn't try. Or some combination of the two.

But the 8-day vacation that Volstad just came off following the brawl really left him sharp in this one.

Tornon
09-20-2010, 05:13 PM
An absolute gem from Volstad. Or the Cardinals didn't try. Or some combination of the two.

But the 8-day vacation that Volstad just came off following the brawl really left him sharp in this one.

Kind of the opposite of what happened after Johnny Cueto's vacation

traderumor
09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Even though the Cards are running on fumes in this race, they did some heavy lifting taking 3 of 4 from the Pads while we were losing 3 of 4, then lay an egg against the fading Marlins. I think Jack Clark nailed it. They just pooped their pants again, undoing all the progress they made in picking up two games in 4 days.

Sea Ray
09-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Even though the Cards are running on fumes in this race, they did some heavy lifting taking 3 of 4 from the Pads while we were losing 3 of 4, then lay an egg against the fading Marlins. I think Jack Clark nailed it. They just pooped their pants again, undoing all the progress they made in picking up two games in 4 days.

Undoing half the progress they made. It's only a game they lost today

traderumor
09-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Undoing half the progress they made. It's only a game they lost todayTrue enough, but at this late stage, they can't take any steps backwards.

WebScorpion
09-21-2010, 03:04 AM
I have no idea why anyone is paying any attention at all to the Cards. They're done. Even if they win every single remaining game, the Reds would have to lose 6 of their last 11 games. Although one of those things might be possible, both are not even a remote chance. Their only other option is again to win just about every remaining game and hope the Braves, Padres, AND the Rockies all fail miserably. One of them will keep rolling...the Cards are done.

I'm glad the Reds aren't in the middle of that race out west...It's a 3-way battle where the winner may just be the one who plays the others the least. :eek: Of course, one of them may have a shot at the WC if Atlanta stumbles. It's a wild year in the NL. :thumbup:

vaticanplum
09-21-2010, 10:18 AM
A month ago I thought there'd be no fun competition whatsoever going on in the AL at this point, but the Central race is closer than I realized. White Sox just two games back of the Twins (no upcoming series between the two of them though). And on the flip side, the NL East race has all but died, though Atlanta's still ahead of San Diego by half a game for the Wild Card.

NL West still quite a close one with all three teams still very much in that battle (1.5 games between all of them). Going to be some fun races going down the stretch. Thank god the Reds don't appear to be involved in any of them.

Homer Bailey
09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
A month ago I thought there'd be no fun competition whatsoever going on in the AL at this point, but the Central race is closer than I realized. White Sox just two games back of the Twins (no upcoming series between the two of them though). And on the flip side, the NL East race has all but died, though Atlanta's still ahead of San Diego by half a game for the Wild Card.

NL West still quite a close one with all three teams still very much in that battle (1.5 games between all of them). Going to be some fun races going down the stretch. Thank god the Reds don't appear to be involved in any of them.

Ummmm... the White Sox are 11 games back.

klw
09-21-2010, 10:33 AM
A month ago I thought there'd be no fun competition whatsoever going on in the AL at this point, but the Central race is closer than I realized. White Sox just two games back of the Twins (no upcoming series between the two of them though). .

Its the Twins Magic Number which is 2, not the lead. The lead is 11 games.

edabbs44
09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Ummmm... the White Sox are 11 games back.

She was speaking in dog games.

OesterPoster
09-21-2010, 12:19 PM
FYI, noticed that Jaime Garcia's next start has been pushed back again. Suppan will go on Thursday against Pittsburgh instead.

OesterPoster
09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this, but anyway...

Ken_Rosenthal
Another blow to #Padres: J. Hairston out rest of year w fractured rt. tibia. Played w it last 2 mos. Had thought it was shin splints. #MLB

vaticanplum
09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Ok, so there was a reason I was pretty surprised by that. Need to learn to read the standings better.

Thanks all :)

Tornon
09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Jake Westbrook is having all kinds of issues in the first inning, already 1-0 Pittsburgh, bases still loaded & 1 out for Doumit

Tornon
09-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Doumit singled, bases still loaded 1 out now 2-0 Pittsburgh

Tornon
09-21-2010, 07:29 PM
E6, 3-0 Pittsburgh, still bases loaded 1 out

Screwball
09-21-2010, 07:30 PM
E6, 3-0 Pittsburgh, still bases loaded 1 out

FeLo woulda had it. ;)

Tornon
09-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Pittsburgh finishes with a 3 spot

Screwball
09-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Holy Moses, that Cardinals lineup is awful. Six of nine (!) spots are OPSing below .680. Four (including the pitcher) are below an atrociously bad .565. Without a major overhaul this offseason, they may be closer to last than first in 2011.

membengal
09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Pirates holding onto a 5-2 lead after 5. Maholm still on the bump for Pittsburgh.

membengal
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Cards announcers noting how fast their loss was in Florida yesterday. One hour and 52 minutes. Fastest game in Marlins history.

membengal
09-21-2010, 09:06 PM
5-2 Pirates middle of 7. Maholm holding sway for the Pirates still.

OnBaseMachine
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Joel Hanrahan escapes a two on, none out jam in the 8th inning. 5-2 Pirates after 7 1/2.

membengal
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, yes he did. Bless him.

Johnny Bench is warming up, if you follow me.

membengal
09-21-2010, 09:34 PM
One down in the top of Cardinal 9th. Pirates still up 5-2.

membengal
09-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Two outs in Cards 9th.

Mr. Bench is running wind sprints.

membengal
09-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Winn flies out.

Pirates win.

And the Reds magic number goes to "5".

Will M
09-21-2010, 10:22 PM
The Phillies have pulled way ahead in the race for the best record in the NL.
They also have a nasty 1-2-3 punch in starting pitching.
I think they are the best team in the NL & would like to avoid them in round one of the playoffs. Therefore, I'm rooting against the Braves.

if the wild card comes from the NL West the 1rst round will be:
Phillies vs wild card
Reds vs NL West winner

However, i believe that if the Braves win the wild card the Phillies would play the division winner with the 3rd best record. I believe the Phillies would not face the Braves because they are in the same division. If the NL West winner has a better record than the Reds & the playoff teams are Phillies/Braves/Reds/NL West winner then the Reds would get the Phillies in round one. :(

So the Reds need to have a better record than the NL West winner. That way they for sure don't get the Phillies in round one. Or the wild card needs to come from the NL West.

OnBaseMachine
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
I was just about to post something similar, Will. Based on the way the Phillies are playing, and that unbelievable atmosphere in Philly, I really, really don't want to play the Phillies in the first round. I'm hoping like crazy the Reds finish the season strong and get that number two seed in order to avoid the Phillies.

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't want the Phillies in the 1st rd either but a silver lining is that it's easier to knock off a superior team in a 5 game series as opposed to a 7 game

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Cards announcers noting how fast their loss was in Florida yesterday. One hour and 52 minutes. Fastest game in Marlins history.

That is classic "running for the bus" behavior

reds44
09-21-2010, 10:49 PM
I was just about to post something similar, Will. Based on the way the Phillies are playing, and that unbelievable atmosphere in Philly, I really, really don't want to play the Phillies in the first round. I'm hoping like crazy the Reds finish the season strong and get that number two seed in order to avoid the Phillies.
I'm afraid of nobody. The goal is to win the World Series. To do that, we're going to have to beat the Phillies eventually. Bring em on.

kaldaniels
09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm afraid of nobody. The goal is to win the World Series. To do that, we're going to have to beat the Phillies eventually. Bring em on.

If the goal is to win the World Series, and you view the Phils as the #1 team in your way of reaching the World Series...why not let them play someone else in the first round on the slight chance that they could get beat. Look, I know the 'ole "to be the man you gotta beat the man" view, but if the Reds could slip by without playing Philly, I would feel no shame.

reds44
09-21-2010, 10:57 PM
If the goal is to win the World Series, and you view the Phils as the #1 team in your way of reaching the World Series...why not let them play someone else in the first round on the slight chance that they could get beat. Look, I know the 'ole "to be the man you gotta beat the man" view, but if the Reds could slip by without playing Philly, I would feel no shame.
I'd rather not play the Phillies, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to sit here and worry about it either though.

PuffyPig
09-21-2010, 11:10 PM

In baseball, teams always have more than a slight chance of beating any other team.

Even a hot Phillies team probably would lose the first series 40% of the time.

REDblooded
09-21-2010, 11:19 PM
I actually like our chances vs. the Phillies... Yes, they have a solid rotation... However, their top hitters struggle a bit against lefties... Wood and Chapman (in leverage situations) could do some damage vs. the Phils.

Screwball
09-21-2010, 11:36 PM
In their last 14 games, the Phillies are 13-1, including their current streak of 9 in a row. They've outscored their oppenents by 43 runs in that stretch, and have Oswalt going tomorrow against the Braves with the Mets and Nats on deck.

The Philadelphia Phillies may never lose again.

Mario-Rijo
09-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Giants win 1-0 over Cubs, remain in 1st in the West.

Brutus
09-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Twins clinch tonight. First team to make the 2010 MLB playoffs

Ron Madden
09-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Seems to me like the Phillies wore the Reds out during the season in 1976 but the Reds beat'em in the playoffs.

In 1973 the Reds had a much better club than the Mets but the Mets beat the Reds in the playoff series. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I'm just happy that the younger Reds fans can finally enjoy a season like this.

:thumbup:

traderumor
09-22-2010, 09:26 AM
In their last 14 games, the Phillies are 13-1, including their current streak of 9 in a row. They've outscored their oppenents by 43 runs in that stretch, and have Oswalt going tomorrow against the Braves with the Mets and Nats on deck.

The Philadelphia Phillies may never lose again.Hot streaks end, just in time for the playoffs ;)

Tornon
09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Cardinals losing again, 1-0 to Pittsburgh bottom of 1. Pirates still threatening with runner at third & none out

Tornon
09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
2-0 Bucs after 1

Brutus
09-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Cards tacked on a run in the 2nd to close to within 2-1, but John Bowker homers off Kyle Lohse in the bottom of the 2nd. 3-1 Pirates.

kaldaniels
09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Cards tacked on a run in the 2nd to close to within 2-1, but John Bowker homers off Kyle Lohse in the bottom of the 2nd. 3-1 Pirates.

Yeah but the Cards still have 6 games left against the worst team in the National Lea.....oh wait. :D

membengal
09-22-2010, 08:03 PM
The Pirates are butchering Lohse in the 3rd, now 6-1 Pittsburgh with a runner on second and one out.

Brutus
09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
4-1 Pirates now with two runners in scoring position and one out in the third

Brutus
09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Alvarez just doubled in two more runs.

6-1 Pirates

_Sir_Charles_
09-22-2010, 08:06 PM
It's one of the beautiful mysteries of baseball. Some teams just have other teams' number. Pirates & Astros are simply owning the Cards this season.

Brutus
09-22-2010, 08:07 PM
It's one of the beautiful mysteries of baseball. Some teams just have other teams' number. Pirates & Astros are simply owning the Cards this season.

Actually, since the Cardinals swept the Reds in August, they've had the worst record in baseball from that date. They're only a .500 baseball team since the start of May. I don't think it's a mystery... the Cards really aren't a good baseball team.

_Sir_Charles_
09-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Actually, since the Cardinals swept the Reds in August, they've had the worst record in baseball from that date. They're only a .500 baseball team since the start of May. I don't think it's a mystery... the Cards really aren't a good baseball team.

I realize that, but every season your team is going to inexplicably struggle mightily to a team they shouldn't. It never makes any sense, but it always happens.

Brutus
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I realize that, but every season your team is going to inexplicably struggle mightily to a team they shouldn't. It never makes any sense, but it always happens.

Yeah I mean, that's definitely true. But in this case, I just don't think the Cardinals are any good. I was one of the ones saying that before the infamous sweep, but people got all superstitious about it (though I'm kind of superstitious too, so I get it).

I think they're struggling against bad teams because they're bad themselves. Your point still stands, mind you, but I don't think this one is a mystery as to why they're struggling.

kaldaniels
09-22-2010, 08:16 PM

So are we talking about the Cardinals and Pirates, or about the Reds and Cardinals?

Brutus
09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
In other related playoff baseball news, the Braves & Phillies (Hanson vs. Oswalt) are locked up in a good one. Scoreless in the 5th with only one hit thus far.

Brutus
09-22-2010, 08:36 PM
8-1 Pirates on a Pedro knock.

oneupper
09-22-2010, 08:41 PM
9-1 Pirates. No out, two on in the bottom of the 5th,

Brutus
09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
9-1 Pirates. No out, two on in the bottom of the 5th,

The Cardinals sure don't agree with the phrase, "going down in a blaze of glory."

Bob Borkowski
09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
The Cardinals are a mess.

klw
09-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I saw the Pirates score and thought of this.

http://blogs.trb.com/news/local/morningnews/blog/mailing-it-in.jpg

vaticanplum
09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
11-5 in Pittsburgh now. Not enough of a lead with that team.

oneupper
09-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Cards lose 11-6

Sea Ray
09-22-2010, 10:00 PM
The Cardinals are a mess.

So how many wins do we think now it'll take to win the Central? Earlier in the year the guesses were somewhere in the lower 90s. I'd say in reality it'll work out to somewhere in the lower 80s. In the end the Cards really made it easy on us

vaticanplum
09-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Are the Cardinals going to win another game this season?

wheels
09-22-2010, 10:03 PM
The House Of "Cards" has tumbled.

Woof....That was bad. I couldn't help myself.

reds1869
09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
My father is a lifelong Pirates fan (now that is loyalty) and feels the Reds should send a great big gift basket to the Pittsburgh clubhouse for the way they've whipped up on the Cards. He just might have a point!

Brutus
09-22-2010, 10:16 PM
My father is a lifelong Pirates fan (now that is loyalty) and feels the Reds should send a great big gift basket to the Pittsburgh clubhouse for the way they've whipped up on the Cards. He just might have a point!

I'll not only contribute with a fruit basket, but throw in a Coco (sic) bean along with.

vaticanplum
09-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Also, RALLY ONION. The Rally Onion came from Pittsburgh!!

Sea Ray
09-22-2010, 10:38 PM

The Pirates aren't special. We'd owe the Cubs andAstros gift baskets too.

cumberlandreds
09-23-2010, 11:20 AM
The Cards play the Pirates in just over an hour at 12:35. It will be Suppan against Burres. I think there's a good chance the number will be down to 2 by around 3 pm.

redsmetz
09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Heading to the bottom of the 1st, Cardinals with only a Pujols single, no score.

cumberlandreds
09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Cards don't score in the first against the Battlin' Bucco's.

cumberlandreds
09-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Scoreless after one. This may be a quick one.

Homer Bailey
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Not sure where to ask this, and positive it doesn't warrant it's own thread, so I'll ask here.

Does anyone know where I can find the Reds road E.R.A. for the season, and where it ranks among the NL and MLB?

Thanks.