PDA

View Full Version : September Scoreboard Watching

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Brutus
09-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I figured since the Part 2 scoreboard thread seemingly ran its course, we'd go to Part 3 - September edition. If that's OK with the mods.

Currently, the Braves and Marlins are tied at 6 apiece going into the bottom of the Marlins' 9th.

Milwaukee leads 5-2 over the Phillies in the bottom of the 6th.

San Diego, on a 9-game losing streak, plays Colorado this afternoon.

Reds currently have homefield advantage for the playoffs a game ahead of Atlanta and 2 1/2 over San Diego.

11larkin11
09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
If we're going to maintain homefield advantage, I hope Philly overtakes Atlanta in the East.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
If we're going to maintain homefield advantage, I hope Philly overtakes Atlanta in the East.

Agreed. As of now, it would be Cincinnati vs. Philadelphia and Atlanta vs. San Diego. Of course, there's still a chance the West could get the wildcard, so hopefully Philadelphia simply goes on a losing streak.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Marlins knock off the Braves in the bottom of the 9th with a walk-off single.

Tony Cloninger
09-05-2010, 05:14 PM
One team I do not understand how they keep winning...is the Yankees. Burnett is garbage. They have someone named Nova starting...and while I rail on their ability to buy a pennant last year..... they are able to get Marcus Thames? To hit the way he has for them. All of a sudden Woods is pitching lights out (he is still walking people)..... even with Jeter hitting like Paul janish...they still win.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Brew crew leads 6-2 heading to the bottom of 9 in Philadelphia

aubashbrother
09-05-2010, 05:50 PM
After todays game It made yesterdays win sooo much bigger. Go in with 8 game lead and come out with 7 game lead facing the pitchers we faced. Ill take it

Brutus
09-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Brewers win. The Braves, Reds and Phillies all falter today.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 05:54 PM
After todays game It made yesterdays win sooo much bigger. Go in with 8 game lead and come out with 7 game lead facing the pitchers we faced. Ill take it

I'm glad they were able to win one but the Reds should have won today too. Jon freaking Jay. Jon Jay. All you have to do is get him out in the 6th inning and that three run inning doesn't happen. The Reds had a chance to end the Cardinals season today but failed to do so. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have a seven game lead 26 to go. But that game was very winnable today.

I can't stand Chris Carpenter, but he owns the Reds.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm glad they were able to win one but the Reds should have won today too. Jon freaking Jay. Jon Jay. All you have to do is get him out in the 6th inning and that three run inning doesn't happen. The Reds had a chance to end the Cardinals season today but failed to do so. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have a seven game lead 26 to go. But that game was very winnable today.

I can't stand Chris Carpenter, but he owns the Reds.

OBM, Jay is a .300 hitter. He's a major league hitter hitting .300... let's not act like it was pitcher that was 5-for-his-10-year-career up there that doubled.

Jay is a good young hitter with good bat control, a good eye and hits the ball pretty well. He's not a power hitter, but there are far worse things than surrendering a hit to him.

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:02 PM
As I said in the game thread - in advance of the spot - you cannot leave Homer Bailey in to face Pujols or Holliday in a tight sixth inning spot.

He often falters in the middle innings at this stage of his career.

Had Dusty brought Masset in to face Pujols or Holliday there, the Reds likely win the game.

You have to know your pitchers. Let Homer develop some other time.

Jay, Pujols, Holliday were facing Homer for the third time in the game. Pitch count was irrelevant. The Cards have very few dangerous hitters, you treat them like dangerous hitters and go with your lights out reliever there. Yes, in the sixth inning.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
As I said in the game thread - in advance of the spot - you cannot leave Homer Bailey in to face Pujols or Holliday in a tight sixth inning spot.

He often falters in the middle innings at this stage of his career.

Had Dusty brought Masset in to face Pujols or Holliday there, the Reds likely win the game.

You have to know your pitchers. Let Homer develop some other time.

Jay, Pujols, Holliday were facing Homer for the third time in the game. Pitch count was irrelevant. The Cards have very few dangerous hitters, you treat them like dangerous hitters and go with your lights out reliever there. Yes, in the sixth inning.

The kid had 60 pitches at that point and was pitching a gem.

No reason to remove him. That's kind of overreacting to one hit.

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:09 PM
The kid had 60 pitches at that point and was pitching a gem.

No reason to remove him. That's kind of overreacting to one hit.

The reason to remove him is that this is a pennant race. April-May managing moves don't apply.

Cannot let Bailey face those hitters a third time with men on base in a close game against Carpenter.

You have a lights out reliever in Masset, a righty to face Pujols and Holliday, use him there, let him finish the sixth and pitch the seventh.

Now Reds lost that game and face an uphill game against Jiminez tomorrow.

This game was winnable, but it required more aggressive pitching management.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 06:12 PM
The reason to remove him is that this is a pennant race. April-May managing moves don't apply.

Cannot let Bailey face those hitters a third time with men on base in a close game against Carpenter.

You have a lights out reliever in Masset, a righty to face Pujols and Holliday, use him there, let him finish the sixth and pitch the seventh.

Now Reds lost that game and face an uphill game against Jiminez tomorrow.

This game was winnable, but it required more aggressive pitching management.

You can't go jerking out starting pitchers at the first sign of trouble in the 6th inning when he's previously given up one single run and 60-some pitches. I don't care if it's a pennant race or not... that's far too reactionary.

It's a pennant race, but it's not do-or-die. They're up 7 games with 25 to play... that's pretty significant. No use in acting like it's game 7 of the World Series because he'd given up a solo double with 2 outs.

_Sir_Charles_
09-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Let's remember, there's no certainty that the bullpen coming in would've shut the Cards down either. Dusty brought in Ondrusek after Bailey and he promptly allowed back to back singles after the leadoff guy grounded out. Even IF Dusty went to the pen for Pujols & Holliday, I'm pretty sure it still would've been Ondrusek. I'll take Homer over Logan especially considering how he was pitching. I'm pretty certain that it WOULDN'T have been Masset if Dusty did go to the pen there.

Tough loss. But we're still up big...not the end of the world. (still ticked over that IBB though)

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
You can't go jerking out starting pitchers at the first sign of trouble in the 6th inning when he's previously given up one single run and 60-some pitches. I don't care if it's a pennant race or not... that's far too reactionary.

It's a pennant race, but it's not do-or-die. They're up 7 games with 25 to play... that's pretty significant. No use in acting like it's game 7 of the World Series because he'd given up a solo double with 2 outs.

I just disagree. I would have managed this game like the seventh game of the World Series.

Reds could have taken a nine game lead.

What are we saving the relievers for? Tomorrow in Colorado? This was a "nail in the coffin" type game and the Reds could have won it.

Not the game to work on Homer's durability or confidence IMO. This was the game to go all out to win, and IMO they didn't.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
OBM, Jay is a .300 hitter. He's a major league hitter hitting .300... let's not act like it was pitcher that was 5-for-his-10-year-career up there that doubled.

Jay is a good young hitter with good bat control, a good eye and hits the ball pretty well. He's not a power hitter, but there are far worse things than surrendering a hit to him.

Jon Jay has a career .799 OPS in the minors, and has been extremely lucky at the MLB level. There's nothing about his game that impresses me. He looks like nothing more than a career backup to me.

The real killer was the bad pitch to Holliday. Just a bad, bad pitch by Bailey. He was pitching a great game up until that point.

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Let's remember, there's no certainty that the bullpen coming in would've shut the Cards down either. Dusty brought in Ondrusek after Bailey and he promptly allowed back to back singles after the leadoff guy grounded out. Even IF Dusty went to the pen for Pujols & Holliday, I'm pretty sure it still would've been Ondrusek. I'll take Homer over Logan especially considering how he was pitching. I'm pretty certain that it WOULDN'T have been Masset if Dusty did go to the pen there.

Tough loss. But we're still up big...not the end of the world. (still ticked over that IBB though)

I wouldn't have used Ondrusek. I would have used Masset.

Sometimes you have to vary the pattern to win the game.

So now he has a rested bullpen for a lopsided pitching matchup in Colorado.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I just disagree. I would have managed this game like the seventh game of the World Series.

Reds could have taken a nine game lead.

What are we saving the relievers for? Tomorrow in Colorado? This was a "nail in the coffin" type game and the Reds could have won it.

Not the game to work on Homer's durability or confidence IMO. This was the game to go all out to win, and IMO they didn't.

I think that the Reds have treated this series like any other is precisely why they're going to go on to win the division. The fans here absolutely blew a gasket when they were swept by St. Louis, yet, the truth was... it was not the end of the world because the Reds were beating teams they were supposed to beat and the Cardinals were not.

Same logic here. Yanking a pitcher after a double, despite a tremendously efficient game to that point is just not practical. It's not something you'd see any single Major League manager do at this point in the season. None. It's not even a consideration. Heck, you're railing on them for not making a pitching change, yet at that juncture, there's not even a manager in the league that would have yet had a guy warming up. Homer entered the inning with 47 pitches through 5 innings, a few hits allowed and one run. And you expect to not only have a pitcher already warming up but yank him after a 2-out double? That seems pretty far out.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Jon Jay has a career .799 OPS in the minors, and has been extremely lucky at the MLB level. There's nothing about his game that impresses me. He looks like nothing more than a career backup to me.

The real killer was the bad pitch to Holliday. Just a bad, bad pitch by Bailey. He was pitching a great game up until that point.

An 800 OPS hitter isn't great but it's nothing to sneeze at. The kid can hit. Has he been lucky? Sure... but lucky in the way that he wasn't going to keep hitting .380 the rest of the year.

Jay has a nice swing. I urge you to set aside the fact he was lucky and look at him at face value... he's a nice young hitter with a level stroke. His problem is that he doesn't project for a ton of power, which is why he didn't have a higher OPS in the minors. But the kid can swing the bat. He's not an easy out.

The Operator
09-05-2010, 06:24 PM
What the heck is happening out in San Diego?

9 straight losses and down 1-0 to Colorado today. Wow.

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Same logic here. Yanking a pitcher after a double, despite a tremendously efficient game to that point is just not practical. It's not something you'd see any single Major League manager do at this point in the season. None. It's not even a consideration. Heck, you're railing on them for not making a pitching change, yet at that juncture, there's not even a manager in the league that would have yet had a guy warming up. Homer entered the inning with 47 pitches through 5 innings, a few hits allowed and one run. And you expect to not only have a pitcher already warming up but yank him after a 2-out double? That seems pretty far out.

Except you're ignoring all the circumstances.

Facing Carpenter.
Tight pitching duel.
Young Reds pitcher who sometimes fades in middle innings.
Rested bullpen, now very deep since Chapman's arrival.
Nail in the coffin type game.
Cards big hitters coming up for third time against Bailey.
Masset lights out reliever has faced these guys many times.

I would have had Masset warmed and ready. I said so at the time in the game thread. And I don't care about his pitch count in that spot, given all these other circumstances.

Big Klu
09-05-2010, 06:27 PM
One team I do not understand how they keep winning...is the Yankees. Burnett is garbage. They have someone named Nova starting...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aIcdsJUgqm0/SZR6xTj6kxI/AAAAAAAABaE/PJOBbIpxVgo/s1600/planetoftheapesmovieposter008.jpg

VR
09-05-2010, 06:28 PM
So, who pitches to Pujols and Holliday in the 8th with a one run lead?

Brutus
09-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Except you're ignoring all the circumstances.

Facing Carpenter.
Tight pitching duel.
Young Reds pitcher who sometimes fades in middle innings.
Rested bullpen, now very deep since Chapman's arrival.
Nail in the coffin type game.
Cards big hitters coming up for third time against Bailey.
Masset lights out reliever has faced these guys many times.

I would have had Masset warmed and ready. I said so at the time in the game thread. And I don't care about his pitch count in that spot, given all these other circumstances.

Even ignoring pitch counts, Bailey showed absolutely no signs of letting up. So he gave up one double... that's really no reason to yank a guy. He was not getting hit much at all to that point. And frankly I don't see one hit as a sign that he's suddenly going to start. Pitch counts do matter when considering whether or not he's tiring. But there was no evidence of that. Frankly, I still believe nothing that inning was an indication Bailey was losing it... he battled Holliday for 7 pitches and unfortunately an All-Star hitter took care of a mistake high in the zone. It happens. Sometimes you just have to credit the other guy.

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:35 PM
So, who pitches to Pujols and Holliday in the 8th with a one run lead?

If Holliday makes out to end the sixth, maybe the middle of the order doesn't hit again.

Or, maybe they hit in the ninth. Answer: Coco.

Or, maybe they hit with no men on in the eighth. Answer: Ondrusek.

Or, if they do come up in a tough spot again, Chapman.

This way, as it went down, Reds got to give some work to Bray and Smith in a big game against the Cards. Great.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Jay has a nice swing. I urge you to set aside the fact he was lucky and look at him at face value... he's a nice young hitter with a level stroke. His problem is that he doesn't project for a ton of power, which is why he didn't have a higher OPS in the minors. But the kid can swing the bat. He's not an easy out.

Meh, I've watched Jay plenty this season and nothing impresses me about his game. I guess I'm just frustrated from seeing the Reds give up so many hits to less than stellar hitters this week. Randy Wolf, Yovani Gallardo, Chris Narveson, Jaime Garcia, Jon Jay, Skip Schumaker...

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Even ignoring pitch counts, Bailey showed absolutely no signs of letting up. So he gave up one double... that's really no reason to yank a guy. He was not getting hit much at all to that point. And frankly I don't see one hit as a sign that he's suddenly going to start. Pitch counts do matter when considering whether or not he's tiring. But there was no evidence of that. Frankly, I still believe nothing that inning was an indication Bailey was losing it... he battled Holliday for 7 pitches and unfortunately an All-Star hitter took care of a mistake high in the zone. It happens. Sometimes you just have to credit the other guy.

I've followed Homer's career, as I'm sure you have. He just seems to have trouble in the middle innings fairly often. It even happened in the minors.

Again, if Brendan Ryan was coming up, I'd agree with you. But even if he seemed fine, he was about to face two feared and dangerous hitters. I wouldn't have waited for some sign of distress. Based on the opposition and Homer's track record, I'd have gone to Masset.

traderumor
09-05-2010, 06:39 PM
What the heck is happening out in San Diego?

9 straight losses and down 1-0 to Colorado today. Wow.I think its called a cruel regression all at one time. I've felt the Padres have been playing over their head all season long.

VR
09-05-2010, 06:50 PM
If Holliday makes out to end the sixth, maybe the middle of the order doesn't hit again.

Or, maybe they hit in the ninth. Answer: Coco.

Or, maybe they hit with no men on in the eighth. Answer: Ondrusek.

Or, if they do come up in a tough spot again, Chapman.

This way, as it went down, Reds got to give some work to Bray and Smith in a big game against the Cards. Great.

And kept the others fresh for a 4 game road series...still up 7 games.

I understand managing any game like it's the 7th game of the world series, and I respect your opinion on it.

Brutus
09-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I've followed Homer's career, as I'm sure you have. He just seems to have trouble in the middle innings fairly often. It even happened in the minors.

Again, if Brendan Ryan was coming up, I'd agree with you. But even if he seemed fine, he was about to face two feared and dangerous hitters. I wouldn't have waited for some sign of distress. Based on the opposition and Homer's track record, I'd have gone to Masset.

I think you hit on the important word: "seems."

For his career, his inning 4-6 splits are the same as innings 1-3 collectively. And in the games he's gone 7+, those splits are actually better than the rest.

I think it shows, while nothing definitively, that there's not much you can read into about having problems in the middle innings.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Setting the frustrations of today's loss aside, the Reds have a seven game lead with 26 games remaining. I'll take that. They did what they had to do in St. Louis - avoid the sweep. And while I wanted to win the series, taking one of three against Carpenter, Garcia, and Wainwright in St. Louis is more than acceptable. Hopefully the Reds can go into Colorado and at least split the four game series. Harang vs Jimenez tomorrow will be a tough one.

Kc61
09-05-2010, 06:57 PM
And kept the others fresh for a 4 game road series...still up 7 games.

I understand managing any game like it's the 7th game of the world series, and I respect your opinion on it.

I'm glad the bullpen is fresh. I fear the series in Colorado. That's one reason why I would have really pulled out the stops today.

If the Reds can split the four games in Denver, I'll be delighted, but to me this is the most dangerous series of the season.

Colorado is beating the stuffings out of the Padres. The Rockies are known for late season rallies and the Reds always seem to have trouble in Coors.

So we'll see how it goes. Tomorrow's pitching matchup is Harang vs. Jiminez.

oneupper
09-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm glad the bullpen is fresh. I fear the series in Colorado. That's one reason why I would have really pulled out the stops today.

If the Reds can split the four games in Denver, I'll be delighted, but to me this is the most dangerous series of the season.

Colorado is beating the stuffings out of the Padres. The Rockies are known for late season rallies and the Reds always seem to have trouble in Coors.

So we'll see how it goes. Tomorrow's pitching matchup is Harang vs. Jiminez.

Got to agree about the Colorado series. Tough. If there is a consolation, the Cards head to Milwaukee with Westbrook, Suppan and Garcia.
Fielder, Hart, Braun and co are licking their chops already.

_Sir_Charles_
09-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't have used Ondrusek. I would have used Masset.

Sometimes you have to vary the pattern to win the game.

So now he has a rested bullpen for a lopsided pitching matchup in Colorado.

I get that. I'm just saying that DUSTY wouldn't have. If he would have pulled Homer in the 6th...it STILL would've been Logan coming in.

HokieRed
Agree, too, about the series in Colo., but the reality is we scored 2, 7, and 2 at StL, and won the one you'd expect with that kind of offense. Need to pick it back up on the o side. Simple as that.

PuffyPig
Got to agree about the Colorado series. Tough. If there is a consolation, the Cards head to Milwaukee with Westbrook, Suppan and Garcia.
Fielder, Hart, Braun and co are licking their chops already.

Lohse is pitching the second game, not Suppan.......

Not that that makes any real difference.

_Sir_Charles_
09-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Agree, too, about the series in Colo., but the reality is we scored 2, 7, and 2 at StL, and won the one you'd expect with that kind of offense. Need to pick it back up on the o side. Simple as that.

Yep. Votto & Gomes both struggled today. Bruce still out. The lethal bat of Janish not in the lineup. :D

Seriously though, it just kills me to see Jay still out. He was swinging the bat like he was the first few weeks of his initial call up. Just a joy to watch. Now we've got to worry about him getting back INTO a groove. Frustrating.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Anyone just see the crazy ending to the Rangers/Twins game?

Kc61
09-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Yep. Votto & Gomes both struggled today. Bruce still out. The lethal bat of Janish not in the lineup. :D

Seriously though, it just kills me to see Jay still out. He was swinging the bat like he was the first few weeks of his initial call up. Just a joy to watch. Now we've got to worry about him getting back INTO a groove. Frustrating.

I agree, Bruce's absence is big. Reds have an all righty lineup with only Votto hitting lefty. Not a good idea against tough righty hurlers.

Ron Madden
09-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Anyone just see the crazy ending to the Rangers/Twins game?

Yes. First time I've ever seen that.

Chip R
09-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I hate to jinx us but I'm not that worried about the Rockies series. We have a lot of young guys that can hit and breaking pitches don't break as much in Denver as they do on the west coast.

TheNext44
09-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I am glad Baker left Bailey in there to face Holliday. While it's not over 'till it's over, at this point, I want to see how the Reds young pitchers handle adversity, and hope that they learn from it.

According to Fay, Baily shook off Hanigan multiple times on that pitch that Holliday deposited behind the centerfield fence. Now maybe in more imporant games, like hopefully in the playoffs, he won't do that again.

Now is the time for the Reds to be setting things up for the postseason, not treating each game like it's the last game of the World Series.

VR
09-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Yes. First time I've ever seen that.

Similar to what Morgan got called out for ins't it? Morgan made contact w/ his teammates, Young with his coach.

Kinda bizarre the ump saw that....it was a split second.

SirFelixCat
09-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Similar to what Morgan got called out for ins't it? Morgan made contact w/ his teammates, Young with his coach.

Kinda bizarre the ump saw that....it was a split second.

Similar, but totally different. The play today they barely touched hands where as Pudge helped him up and pushed him towards the plate.

If you watch the replay from today, the ump wasn't even looking at the runner. He saw it out of the corner of his eye. That's a call that, imo, you don't make there. That's beyond 'tickytack'.

IslandRed
09-05-2010, 08:52 PM
(Deleted)

TheNext44
09-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Similar, but totally different. The play today they barely touched hands where as Pudge helped him up and pushed him towards the plate.

If you watch the replay from today, the ump wasn't even looking at the runner. He saw it out of the corner of his eye. That's a call that, imo, you don't make there. That's beyond 'tickytack'.

Especially not as the last out of one run game, with runners in scoring position, in a game September game between two playoff contenders.

The umpires union will say he made the right call, which technically, he did, but he probably will get reprimanded behind closed doors, and have to work harder to stay a major league ump.

traderumor
09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
The call to end the Minnesota game was very poor judgment on the ump's part to interpret that as helping by the coach.

Ron Madden
09-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Especially not as the last out of one run game, with runners in scoring position, in a game September game between two playoff contenders.

The umpires union will say he made the right call, which technically, he did, but he probably will get reprimanded behind closed doors, and have to work harder to stay a major league ump.

That's my take as well.

membengal
09-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Westbrook v. Gallardo at 2:10 from Milwaukee today. Brewers lost 1-0 and 5-4 in close games in Philly on Friday and Saturday before winning 6-2 yesterday and are returning to Miller Park following a road trip.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Florida leads Philadelphia 2-0 in the top of the third

Pittsburgh got a run in the bottom of the first and lead Atlanta 1-0 in the 2nd

edabbs44
09-06-2010, 03:11 PM
I was just telling my 8.9 month pregnant wife how I am torn in what I want to see in the playoffs, God willing. I'd hate to see them matchup vs Philly in round 1, but it would make it much easier for me to get to Philly for Game 3 than Cincy for Game 1/2.

Reds Fanatic
09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Cardinals up 1-0 in the first on Pujols' 97th RBI.

Kc61
09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Cards lead Brewers 1-0, middle of the third. Brewers got out of a jam in the top of the third.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Florida is holding on to a 2-0 lead in the top of the 7th against Philadelphia. They do have two runners on with one out, threatening to add on.

Meanwhile, Atlanta and Pittsburgh are tied 1-1 in the 5th.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Rickie Weeks ties the game in Milwaukee on a homer.

mth123
Weeks HR. Milwaukeee ties it,

Tornon
The call to end the Minnesota game was very poor judgment on the ump's part to interpret that as helping by the coach.

I thought the rule was that if you made contact with the base coach you are automatically out.. it doesn't matter if the umpire deems it as helping or not. Kind of one of those a rule is a rule things like when Mattingly accidentally made two trips to the mound in one go earlier this year and had to take his closer out

Tornon
09-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Weeks just homered against Westbrook, Cards/Brewers are 1-1 bottom of 3

Brutus
09-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I thought the rule was that if you made contact with the base coach you are automatically out.. it doesn't matter if the umpire deems it as helping or not. Kind of one of those a rule is a rule things like when Mattingly accidentally made two trips to the mound in one go earlier this year and had to take his closer out

Here is the rule as it reads...

From the Major League Rule Book, 7.09 (h)

(h) In the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching
or holding the runner, physically assists him in returning to or leaving third base

Reds Fanatic
09-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Brewers now have bases loaded with 2 outs in the 3rd.

Reds Fanatic
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Brewers left the bases loaded. Still 1-1 after 3.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Florida still leads 2-0 through 7 innings

Pitt & Atlanta tied 1-1 in the 6th

St. Louie and Milwaukee 1-1 in the 4th

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
The Marlins are a quality team. I'm glad the Reds are finished with them this season. They should be playoff contenders next season.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Marlins tack on two in the 8th. 4-0 Florida

MattyHo4Life
09-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I hate to jinx us but I'm not that worried about the Rockies series. We have a lot of young guys that can hit and breaking pitches don't break as much in Denver as they do on the west coast.

Chip... do you not realize the power of the legendary Redszone jinx. Must you test the baseball Gods once again?

Brutus
09-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Pitt takes a 3-1 lead on Atlanta in the 6th.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 04:30 PM
2-1 Brewers on a Corey Hart homer.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 04:52 PM
2-2 St. Louis and Milwaukee tied in the 7th

3-1 Pittsburgh in the 8th

7-0 Florida now leads in the 9th

Brutus
09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
While we have a Coors Field special shaping up here, Braves & Phillies both lose today. Phillies do have another game coming in a DH with Florida.

Chip R
09-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Cards up 3-2 in the top of the 8th.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Cards up 3-2 in the top of the 8th.

And worse yet, Cards batting with 'em loaded and Todd Coffey in to surrender a grand slam.

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
The Cards are on their way to a win. Now 8-2 in the 8th inning. This race is far from over, I'm afraid. If I've learned anything this season, it's that no lead is safe with the Reds.

VR
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
And worse yet, Cards batting with 'em loaded and Todd Coffey in to surrender a grand slam.

well done btp, well done.

Brutus
09-06-2010, 05:28 PM
well done btp, well done.

I would pat myself on the back, but it was all too predictable lol

The Operator
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
The lead is down to 6 games.

The Reds could have delivered a death blow to The Cardinals this weekend but instead they urinated down their legs against the big bad Cards.

I hate, HATE depending on other teams to do The Reds' dirty work. Maybe I'm being panicky but this 6-game lead feels like nothing right now.

mth123
09-06-2010, 07:53 PM

The Reds could have delivered a death blow to The Cardinals this weekend but instead they urinated down their legs against the big bad Cards.

I hate, HATE depending on other teams to do The Reds' dirty work. Maybe I'm being panicky but this 6-game lead feels like nothing right now.

Concern is OK. Its still a nice lead this time of year, but the Reds just lost 3 of 4 while the Cards won 3 of 4. That's how comebacks start and the Reds need a win. The Reds showing some chinks in the armor and it isn't because all the LH OF are hurting. Many mocked the acquisition of Westbrook, but he's a better #4 starter than anyone in Cincy.

traderumor
09-06-2010, 08:07 PM

I hate, HATE depending on other teams to do The Reds' dirty work. Maybe I'm being panicky but this 6-game lead feels like nothing right now.The lead was only 5 games a week ago today. We've actually picked up a game on our lead in the last week. That may seem strange to think about after peaking at 8 games.

traderumor
09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I would pat myself on the back, but it was all too predictable lolI wonder if the Brewers are going to start forbidding Coffey to throw his two seamer? :evil:

mth123
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
The lead was only 5 games a week ago today. We've actually picked up a game on our lead in the last week. That may seem strange to think about after peaking at 8 games.

Agree with this, but picking up 2 games in 2 days is the kind of thing that breathes life into a team. The Reds need to win a couple games in Colorado IMO.

MattyHo4Life
09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Many mocked the acquisition of Westbrook, but he's a better #4 starter than anyone in Cincy.

FWIW, since the trade, Ryan Ludwick is batting .218 and his OPS is .632.

Ron Madden
09-06-2010, 09:27 PM

I'd rather be 6 games up with 25 games to go than be 6 games down with 25 to play.

Ghosts of 1990
09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
We're 'sitting pretty' but it's FAR, FAR from over.

We had our foot on their throat, and we let them off the mat. IMO their season was over without that Matt Holliday home run yesterday. I knew when he hit it they were still very much alive.

The Bruce 'injury' has been mysterious, and injuries to Nix and Edmonds have really been an issue. Our OF is no threat as it stands now, truly. Those guys are nice in a platoon or off the bench but they're really not every day players. We're also missing anyone beyond Cueto, Arroyo, and Bailey in the rotation; and they have been tough luck losers lately too.

We are going to have to punch back, and soon.

Redsfan320
09-06-2010, 10:00 PM
We're also missing anyone beyond Cueto, Arroyo, and Bailey in the rotation

Travis Wood. I really think he's gonna stay solid, and is already better than Homer.

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2010, 10:52 PM
FWIW, since the trade, Ryan Ludwick is batting .218 and his OPS is .632.

He's playing in a huge pitchers park. I highly doubt he would have hit like that in St. Louis.

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Yep. I still don't feel comfortable with this lead. A six game lead is nice and all, but this race is far from over, IMO. The Reds had their chance to put it away yesterday and failed to do so. The losses yesterday and today were both winnable games, and the Reds blew both of them. We can't just rely on the Cardinals to lose.

kaldaniels
09-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Yep. I'm nervous right now. A six game lead is nice and all, but this race is far from over. The Reds had their chance to put it away yesterday and failed to do so. The losses yesterday and today were both winnable games, and the Reds blew both of them.

I'm not nervous. The Reds are up 6 and have the best winning percentage in the NL. They just faced 3 of the top 7 pitchers in the NL.

kaldaniels
09-06-2010, 11:00 PM
nm

MattyHo4Life
09-06-2010, 11:09 PM
He's playing in a huge pitchers park. I highly doubt he would have hit like that in St. Louis.

I think you might be right. It is very uncharacteristic of him to be hitting that poorly.

edabbs44
09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I think you might be right. It is very uncharacteristic of him to be hitting that poorly.

His stats seem to have been materially better at Petco than on the road. As ironic as that sounds.

MattyHo4Life
09-06-2010, 11:18 PM
His stats seem to have been materially better at Petco than on the road. As ironic as that sounds.

I noticed that too. It does seem strange. His stats at Busch are insane though compared to the rest of the parks.

The Operator
09-07-2010, 01:42 AM
I'd rather be 6 games up with 25 games to go than be 6 games down with 25 to play.
Absolutely, no question.

I'm just nervous is all. The Padres just lost 10 in a row in the blink of an eye. It can happen before you know it. This season has been so special, I can't bear the thought of it ending at 162 (and especially not 163) games.

Ron Madden
09-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Absolutely, no question.

I'm just nervous is all. The Padres just lost 10 in a row in the blink of an eye. It can happen before you know it. This season has been so special, I can't bear the thought of it ending at 162 (and especially not 163) games.

I understand, it's the nature of Baseball Fans everywhere. ;)

Just think of it like this...the Reds have 25 games remaining.

If they win 13 and lose 12 the Cardinals would have to win 20 of their remaining 27 games just to tie the Reds.

I believe the Reds will win more than 13 of the next 25 games and I don't think the Cards can win 20 of their next 27.

Kc61
09-07-2010, 02:08 AM
At Colorado is very rough. Reds hardly ever win there. I've always believed that the operative margin will be after this series.

Let's see how many games ahead the Reds are after Thursday. Then we can judge how this pennant race stands.

MattyHo4Life
09-07-2010, 02:17 AM
I understand, it's the nature of Baseball Fans everywhere. ;)

Just think of it like this...the Reds have 25 games remaining.

If they win 12 and lose 13 the Cardinals would have to win 20 of their remaining 27 games just to tie the Reds.

I believe the Reds will win more than 12 of the next 25 games and I don't think the Cards can win 20 of their next 27.

I'm glad that you pointed that out. I don't think most people around here realize how improbable it would be for the Cardinals to catch up to the Reds now. I get it, and that's why it's hard to get excited about a couple of wins.

membengal
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Brewers have plated two so far in the bottom of the first against double-agent Kyle Lohse. Secret agent Dickerson trying to plate another.

2-0 Brewers and still batting in bottom of 1.

Narverson on mound for Milwaukee.

membengal
09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Secret agent Dickerson Kd, but at least the Brewers have drawn first blood.

2-0 after one.

PuffyPig
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Narveson is a fairly poor lefty, just the kind of pitcher that gives the Cards problems.

He has struck out Pujols, Holliday and Rasmus.

PuffyPig
09-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Brewers had a sure run taken away from them.

1st and 3rd, no one out, routine DP grounder.

Runner going to second called for interference, so the Cards get the DP and runner returned to third. Next batter gets out.

2-0, end of second.

mdccclxix
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
2-2 tie after 2 singles bring in Pujols and Holiday.

Phhhl
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Good Lord! They are bringing in Hoffman to replace Axford for the save. This is almost criminal.

HeatherC1212
09-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Thank you Trevor Hoffman!!! :D :thumbup:

BTW-I think all the AL contenders should be worried if they have to play the Orioles anytime in the next few weeks. They're playing MUCH better than they were earlier in the season and they're no easy win for those teams anymore. They've beaten several other contenders all ready and now they've gotten to the Yankees the last two nights. Tonight they had to go through CC Sabathia too! Go O's!! :p:

HokieRed
09-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Thank you Trevor Hoffman!!! :D :thumbup:

BTW-I think all the AL contenders should be worried if they have to play the Orioles anytime in the next few weeks. They're playing MUCH better than they were earlier in the season and they're no easy win for those teams anymore. They've beaten several other contenders all ready and now they've gotten to the Yankees the last two nights. Tonight they had to go through CC Sabathia too! Go O's!! :p:

Agree on the O's. Didn't know anyone else on here was an O's fan. They've been much better since Buck has taken over. There's really some very solid talent on that team.

MattyHo4Life
09-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the jinx Chip ;) What are your thought on how the Reds will do this weekend?

Redsfan320
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
MODS: Please CLOSE either THIS THREAD or the NL CENTRAL AND WILDCARD SCOREBOARD WATCHING PART III THREAD. Having them both open with the same topic is kinda pointless. THANKS

Homer Bailey
09-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Have the Reds won a game since this thread was started? Should Cyclone start a new one? He was pretty lucky on the first two.

Yes I do believe in these kinds of things.

MattyHo4Life
09-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes I do believe in these kinds of things.

I believe in these kinds of things too. However, this seems like a good thread. No need for a new one. :thumbup:

smith288
09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I believe in these kinds of things too. However, this seems like a good thread. No need for a new one. :thumbup:
you would think that.... KILL THIS THREAD!

Brutus
09-10-2010, 04:13 PM
MODS: Please CLOSE either THIS THREAD or the NL CENTRAL AND WILDCARD SCOREBOARD WATCHING PART III THREAD. Having them both open with the same topic is kinda pointless. THANKS

What's with the caps? Is it really that big of a deal?

By the way... CE said a few weeks ago that he wanted to start a new thread every so often to keep things fresh. When this one was started, the other one was getting off course of actual scoreboard conversation. Since it was now September, it made sense to start another one.

Redsfan320
09-10-2010, 06:10 PM
What's with the caps? Is it really that big of a deal?

No, it's just something I do in my requests to mods. Highlight the key terms.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Braves lead the Cardinals 7-4 in the bottom of the sixth in Atlanta.

HokieRed
09-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Now 8-6 Braves, top 7, two men on for Cards.

fearofpopvol1
09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Braves win!!

Now c'mon Reds, gain that game already!

oneupper
09-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Cubs beat Brewers 4-0, behind the arm and bat of Carlos Zambrano.

Z pitching well and Cards will have to face him next week.

Brutus
09-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Rockies lead 12-2 against Arizona en route to their 8th straight win. If San Diego loses tonight (0-0 in the 6th), they would be just 2.5 games back, with Giants & Padres tied for first.

traderumor
09-11-2010, 12:47 AM
The Rockies would drive me nuts as a fan. They are as streaky as they get.

Brutus
09-11-2010, 12:48 AM
The Rockies would drive me nuts as a fan. They are as streaky as they get.

I just wonder why they forget to play good baseball until August/September. It's simply amazing how they've made a habit of this the past few years.

oregonred
09-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Food for thought. Records since May 30th

Reds 50-40
Astros 50-40
Cardinals 44-44

Are the Astros actually a division contending threat for 2011?

Brutus
09-11-2010, 12:53 AM

Reds 50-40
Astros 50-40
Cardinals 44-44

Doubt it. I like that kid Chris Johnson, but I just don't see any chance of that offense sustaining much success. Carlos Lee ain't getting any better. Wallace and Castro get some attention, but thus far they've been hit or miss. I'm just not seeing it with them.

Cedric
09-11-2010, 12:53 AM

Reds 50-40
Astros 50-40
Cardinals 44-44

I think they did the same thing last year.

HokieRed
09-11-2010, 12:55 AM

Reds 50-40
Astros 50-40
Cardinals 44-44

Have you got their record since the trade deadline? Seems to me they really began picking it up then, just after a lot of people said they'd made the worst moves at the deadline.

oregonred
09-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Doubt it. I like that kid Chris Johnson, but I just don't see any chance of that offense sustaining much success. Carlos Lee ain't getting any better. Wallace and Castro get some attention, but thus far they've been hit or miss. I'm just not seeing it with them.

me neither. They win the Reds of the 2000s award. Great 2nd half with no pressure or expectations when out of contention by Memorial Day.

Still their turnaround has been striking. Just ask the Phillies, think they've won about 90% of their games since the Astros waxed them 2+ weeks ago.

oregonred
09-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Astros are 23-14 since the Trade Deadline. Not counting tonight's ongoing game against LA tonight.

Only 6.5 behind the Cardinals now. Maybe they can catch them :)

Tornon
09-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Westbrook just walked in a run, 1-0 Braves in the bottom of 1, bases still loaded 2 out

membengal
09-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the updates, Tornon, stuck with the Phillies/Mets game as the Fox game here in Baltimore.

Degenerate39
09-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I can't believe I'm rooting for the Braves right now

Scrap Irony
09-11-2010, 06:09 PM
One thing is for sure-- the Brave approach at the plate would make Chris Chambliss proud.

They take their time at the plate and will not swing at pitches outside the zone.

Tornon
09-11-2010, 06:36 PM
RBI triple from McLouth, 2-0 Braves

Tornon
09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Pujols ties the score on an RBI double, 2-2

nemesis
09-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Have you got their record since the trade deadline? Seems to me they really began picking it up then, just after a lot of people said they'd made the worst moves at the deadline.

Sometimes dumping talented but pricey players can change a Franchise's culture and improve a clubhouse... i.e. Griffey,Dunn (Oswalt/Berkman)

I never listen to experts. Experts (some from here) ripped Arizona for trading Scherzer and in the end have made out really nicely from that trade. Basically getting Hudson and Kennedy two very young and promising pitchers out of that deal. If you look at what Arizona had done they could be very good with 4 nice pitchers in Saunders, Kennedy, Hudson, Enright. Maybe move a SS for some RP here in Cincy in the off season and they might be a threat next year...

Brutus
09-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Jason Heyward just hit a solo homer. 3-2 in the 7th.

SandyD
09-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Down 3-2, Cards had the bases loaded, one out, and Pulols at the plate. He grounds out, but the run scored. Holliday grounds out to end the inning. Tied 3-3, mid-8

SandyD
09-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Braves and Cards going to extras

Brutus
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
3-run walk-off homer for the Braves in the bottom of the 12th. Braves win, Cards lose.

Kc61
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Rockies just beat the DBacks on Giambi walk-off. Rocks are on fire.

Reds should hope Rockies stay in the race because the Rocks play the Cards at the end of the season. Want the games to be meaningful for the Rocks. Go Rocks.

And tonight, go Braves.

And the Cards next play the Cubs. Go Cubs.

And go Reds.

mth123
09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
1-0 Cards on a Pujols homer. Thanks to Schumaker for getting caught stealing to keep it a solo shot. Braves coming up.

Kc61
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
2-1 Cards through three innings.

Cedric
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
2-1 Cards through three innings.

The Cards haven't looked bad this weekend. The Reds can't just expect them to roll over.

OnBaseMachine
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
The Cardinals are on their way to taking two of four on the road against a very good team. Meanwhile, the Reds struggled to take two of three from the lowly Pirates. This race is far from over. A win today would have me feel a lot more comfortable.

alloverjr
Hudson getting lit up like a christmas tree. 6-1 Cards in the top of the 5th and still batting.

HokieRed
The Cardinals are on their way to taking two of four on the road against a very good team. Meanwhile, the Reds struggled to take two of three from the lowly Pirates. This race is far from over. A win today would have me feel a lot more comfortable.

Win today would have been very big. It's going to be a dogfight till the last days of the season.

Cedric
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM

The offense was horrendous all weekend and so was the bullpen. If you can't easily beat the Pirates at home you are pressing bad.

Brutus
09-12-2010, 10:51 PM

If the Reds only go .500, the Cards can do no worse than 18-4 to win the division. Yes, it's true this thing isn't over, but it's to the point where everything is stacked in the Reds' favor if they even barely manage to win half their games.

Two of three, one of three, two of three, one of three... that pattern wins the division.

Cedric
09-12-2010, 10:51 PM
If the Reds only go .500, the Cards can do no worse than 18-4 to win the division. Yes, it's true this thing isn't over, but it's to the point where everything is stacked in the Reds' favor if they even barely manage to win half their games.

Two of three, one of three, two of three, one of three... that pattern wins the division.

One more 6 game losing streak and then what? Nothing either of us can do though.. Just hope Jay gets back and gets hot.

HokieRed
09-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Reds could easily lose 7 of 9 on the road to Houston, Milwaukee, SD.

Brutus
09-12-2010, 10:54 PM
One more 6 game losing streak and then what? Nothing either of us can do though.. Just hope Jay gets back and gets hot.

I don't like how the club is playing, but this team won't lose 6 in a row with the schedule they have left. They're still a good enough baseball team to not let that happen.

OnBaseMachine
09-12-2010, 10:55 PM
The offense was horrendous all weekend and so was the bullpen. If you can't easily beat the Pirates at home you are pressing bad.

The bullpen and offense were awful this weekend. Paul Maholm (5.43 ERA), Charlie Morton (9.66 ERA), and Brian Burres (5.75 ERA) are three of the worst starters in the NL. Collectively, they held the Reds to seven runs in 20.1 innings. Cordero and Masset stunk up the joint this weekend, but if the offense had done their job it wouldn't have been close enough for Cordero to have been in the game. Brian Burres dominated the Reds lineup today.

Cedric
09-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't like how the club is playing, but this team won't lose 6 in a row with the schedule they have left. They're still a good enough baseball team to not let that happen.

Crazy things happen when you have mostly inexperienced players in a tough spot. CoCo Cordero could easily ruin this season for the Reds with a few more terrible outings.

OnBaseMachine
09-12-2010, 10:58 PM

All of a sudden, .500 baseball the rest of the way doesn't seem like such a lock. The Reds are playing some bad baseball right now. The Reds don't play well in San Diego, and the Astros are playing good baseball right now. A 2-7 or 3-6 roadtrip could allow the Cardinals to get right back in this thing. The Reds need to win three of four from the DBacks to make up for today's terrible loss.

Brutus
09-12-2010, 11:02 PM
All of a sudden, .500 baseball the rest of the way doesn't seem like such a lock. The Reds are playing some bad baseball right now. The Reds don't play well in San Diego, and the Astros are playing good baseball right now. A 2-7 or 3-6 roadtrip could allow the Cardinals to get right back in this thing. The Reds need to win three of four from the DBacks to make up for today's terrible loss.

They're 57-28 this year against teams under .500. I know they're not playing well at all, and I'm as disappointed by that as anyone. But I also think going .500 the rest of the way in the 16 games left against such teams (excluding San Diego) is a fairly safe mark to expect.

Cedric
09-12-2010, 11:02 PM

The Dbacks will score here.. The Reds can't get by with the offense they have displayed the last two weeks.

Hopefully the Dbacks starters struggle more than they have and their bullpen stays miserable.

Cedric
09-12-2010, 11:04 PM
They're 57-28 this year against teams under .500. I know they're not playing well at all, and I'm as disappointed by that as anyone. But I also think going .500 the rest of the way in the 16 games left against such teams (excluding San Diego) is a fairly safe mark to expect.

The problem is the Reds offense has lost some key cogs and they can't just bludgeon teams anymore.

Cordero is going to be involved in a ton of games at this rate and that scares the living crud out of me.

Brutus
09-12-2010, 11:04 PM
The Dbacks will score here.. The Reds can't get by with the offense they have displayed the last two weeks.

Hopefully the Dbacks starters struggle more than they have and their bullpen stays miserable.

Arizona has scored just 288 runs away from home this year (352 in Phoenix). They're not the same offense out of the desert.

Phhhl
09-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Teams occasionally look like they will never win another game when they can't execute offensively. They probably should have lost all three of these games against the Bucs based on how they are hitting. Instead, they won two, and that it a testament to a starting rotation that is rounding into form at the perfect time.

It's a 6 game lead with 19 games to go. Jay Bruce should be back soon, and most of the pen got a day off today. The sky is not falling.

Cedric
09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Teams occasionally look like they will never win another game when they can't execute offensively. They probably should have lost all three of these games against the Bucs based on how they are hitting. Instead, they won two, and that it a testament to a starting rotation that is rounding into form at the perfect time.

It's a 6 game lead with 19 games to go. Jay Bruce should be back soon, and most of the pen got a day off today. The sky is not falling.

The Reds are in great position. I'm just saying that anything can happen and hopefully Dusty realizes that and does something with Cordero.

Doesn't look likely though.

Brutus
09-12-2010, 11:28 PM
The problem is the Reds offense has lost some key cogs and they can't just bludgeon teams anymore.

Cordero is going to be involved in a ton of games at this rate and that scares the living crud out of me.

I've decided to look at it like this (after being miserable for about a week):

The Reds have given people plenty to be miserable about for 9-10 years now. There are three weeks left in the season, and I think it's advisable to focus on what is likely to happen (which in this case is good) than dwell on what is unlikely to happen. Statistically speaking, the Reds have about a 98% chance of getting to the playoffs. I don't see a point in getting caught up over the 2% chance they don't.

I'm not saying it's over or that the Cardinals can't come back, but that's not a good baseball team chasing Cincinnati right now and they've shown no ability to sustain the type of winning streak it's going to take just to get them in contention. Even if the Reds don't play excellent baseball, they can put this thing away.

After 10 years of miserable feelings, it's time to get excited. If something happens in the next three weeks and they don't make it, there will be a time to worry about that. But right now, it's close enough to see, touch, smell, sense, hear and feel. I'm letting the senses guide the way.

edabbs44
09-12-2010, 11:41 PM

The Reds have given people plenty to be miserable about for 9-10 years now. There are three weeks left in the season, and I think it's advisable to focus on what is likely to happen (which in this case is good) than dwell on what is unlikely to happen. Statistically speaking, the Reds have about a 98% chance of getting to the playoffs. I don't see a point in getting caught up over the 2% chance they don't.

I'm not saying it's over or that the Cardinals can't come back, but that's not a good baseball team chasing Cincinnati right now and they've shown no ability to sustain the type of winning streak it's going to take just to get them in contention. Even if the Reds don't play excellent baseball, they can put this thing away.

After 10 years of miserable feelings, it's time to get excited. If something happens in the next three weeks and they don't make it, there will be a time to worry about that. But right now, it's close enough to see, touch, smell, sense, hear and feel. I'm letting the senses guide the way.

The reality is this: They are likely to get to the playoffs at this point. We should be happy about that. We also know that they are a somewhat flawed team with future promise. Right now they (and we) are playing with house money. If they are to get knocked out in the first round, this is only year 1 of a potential multi-year run of contention. If they are to win some October games, then friggin awesome.

But let's not let unrealistic expectations get in the way of enjoying what this is. Look at the big picture. These guys are getting exposure to postseason type baseball while proving to themselves that they can do this. At worst, this season will go a long way towards getting these guys to the next level.

wheels
09-12-2010, 11:47 PM

Well said, Sir.

membengal
09-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Cubs up 2-0 on the Cards and Garcia in the 3rd. Jeff Samardjia (sp) on the mound for Chicago tonite.

membengal
09-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Senor Garcia finally falling off his tightrope. 4-0 Cubs, top of 3rd.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 10:18 PM
While the Braves are up 4-0 on Washington and the Phillies clobbering the Marlins 11-1, the Padres lead in Colorado 2-0 in the 2nd inning.

membengal
09-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Cubs holding onto that 4-0 lead in the top of the 6th.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
San Diego leads 5-0 in the 5th in Colorado after putting a 3-spot up.

HokieRed
09-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Cardinals with one in bottom 7th, now 4-1, going to top of the 8th.

HokieRed
09-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Cubs have first two batters on in the 8th, first and second.

redsmetz
09-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Cubs have first two batters on in the 8th, first and second.

Wild Pitch moved them over!

The Operator
09-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Looks like the STL-CHC game is now on MLB Network.

Reds Fanatic
09-13-2010, 11:44 PM
5-1 Cubs as Fukodome drives in a run!

The Operator
09-13-2010, 11:44 PM
5-1 Cubbies on a basehit off of The Big Sweat.

HokieRed
09-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Colorado rallying against SD. Now down 5-4, bottom 6.

HokieRed
09-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Cubs got one, 5-1. Bottom 8.

The Operator
09-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Is it just me or does the MLB Tonight crew sound genuinely sad when talking about The Cardinals fading? Sorry to spoil your fun, boys.

membengal
09-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Not just you.

And, hey, John Kruk, they didn't trade for Edmonds to replace Stubbs. You idiot.

The Operator
09-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Jay Bruce on the phone with MLB Tonight crew.

Reds Fanatic
09-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Cards leave 2 runners on base in the 8th. 5-1 Cubs after 8.

Edd Roush
09-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Cards leave 2 runners on base in the 8th. 5-1 Cubs after 8.

Big K from Marshall... he always seems to be doing good things when I see follow him pitching...

HokieRed
09-14-2010, 12:08 AM
SD 5, Colo. 4, going to bottom 7.

Degenerate39
09-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Please get three more outs Cubs without giving up the lead. PLEASE

Sea Ray
09-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Is Marmol in the game to close?

Tommyjohn25
09-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Is Marmol in the game to close?

It hasn't reached the bottom of the 9th yet.

Sea Ray
09-14-2010, 12:14 AM
It hasn't reached the bottom of the 9th yet.

Has he pitched yet? If not I gotta assume he'll be in there

Edd Roush
09-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Oh, how I would love to see Davey's smiling face in the Magic Number thread tonight...

membengal
09-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Yes, Marmol is in to pitch the bottom of the 9th.

Edd Roush
09-14-2010, 12:20 AM
One out...

membengal
Marmol retires Winn, one done, Cubs still up 5-1.

Degenerate39
Two more!

membengal
09-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Marmol gets Pujols to ground out, two gone.

Reds Fanatic
Cubs one out away as Pujols grounds out.

Degenerate39
Get Davey ready for the magic number thread

membengal
09-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Marmol dealing, Holliday Ks. Cards gone in the 9th, Cubs win 5-1.

Reds magic number now 13.

Tommyjohn25

Reds Fanatic
It would be interesting to see what the Cards record is against teams with losing records. They are getting beat regularly by the worst teams in the league.

Cubs win 5-1. Magic number 13.

HokieRed
09-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Cubs won 5-1.

Degenerate39
09-14-2010, 12:30 AM
It would be interesting to see what the Cards record is against teams with losing records. They are getting beat regularly by the worst teams in the league.

Cubs win 5-1. Magic number 13.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_St._Louis_Cardinals_season#Record_vs._opponen ts

nemesis
09-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Even if the Reds go 6-12 the rest of the way the Cards have to go 14-7 to tie.

9-9 they have to go 17-4 to tie.

11-7 which is my prediction, 19-2 to tie.

WebScorpion
09-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Cubs won 5-1.
AND we eliminated them before they won! :ughmamoru

The Operator
09-14-2010, 12:47 AM
MLB Network is now showing the Padres-Rockies game for those interested. It's 5-4 Padres in the top of the 9th currently.

The Operator
09-14-2010, 12:50 AM
6-4 Pads on a pinch-hit HR by Salazar.

The Operator
09-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Padres defeat The Rockies, 6-4. Rox 10-game win streak over.

VR
09-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Pedro Feliz hit into two DPs tonight.....now 4 for his last 46.

My favorite signing of the year.

membengal
09-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Pedro Feliz hit into two DPs tonight.....now 4 for his last 46.

My favorite signing of the year.

Yup. It's amazing, when you acquire the worst player in the NL and he lives up to it. Weird. Perhaps we can all stop assuming that the Cardinals can sign anyone and have them play like an All-star. The reason that happened so much in the past was the quality of who they were acquiring. Feliz was NEVER in that class.

Sea Ray
09-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Even if the Reds go 6-12 the rest of the way the Cards have to go 14-7 to tie.

9-9 they have to go 17-4 to tie.

11-7 which is my prediction, 19-2 to tie.

:confused:

How do you figure? The Reds magic number is 13 to win, not to tie. Under your scenarios above, Reds wins and Cardinals losses add up to 13 which would mean magic number goes to zero...Reds win the division. Are you getting this off of a site or do you not understand magic numbers?

IslandRed
09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
:confused:

How do you figure? The Reds magic number is 13 to win, not to tie. Under your scenarios above, Reds wins and Cardinals losses add up to 13 which would mean magic number goes to zero...Reds win the division. Are you getting this off of a site or do you not understand magic numbers?

Given the time at which he posted and the fact that he has the Cardinals playing one more game than they actually have left, I'm guessing the site where he was reading the standings hadn't yet updated with the Cardinals loss.

OesterPoster
09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Pujols is out of the lineup tonight. Sore elbow.

RedsMan3203
09-14-2010, 08:03 PM

And FeLo starting in his place at 1st.... :cool:

Cedric
09-14-2010, 08:16 PM

I think you are going to see a ton of problems with Pujols and his elbow, shoulder, hips..

For some weird reason.

Brutus
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Seems La Russa has waived the white flag. Pujols wouldn't be sitting if they were out 3-4 games.

reds44
09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Seems La Russa has waived the white flag. Pujols wouldn't be sitting if they were out 3-4 games.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Brutus
09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Cubbies have a 2-0 lead in the 2nd.

Braves trail Washington 4-0 in the 7th.

Phillies & Fish tied 1-1.

OnBaseMachine
09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Nady RBI single. Cubs lead the Cardinals 3-0 after 2 1/2.

RBA
09-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I think you are going to see a ton of problems with Pujols and his elbow, shoulder, hips..

For some weird reason.

I forget, didn't the Cardinals have a 1st baseman at one time who hit a ton of homers and began to breakdown a lot at the end of his career? Maybe OSHA should take a good look at the Cardinals programs?

OnBaseMachine
09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Still 3-0 Cubs in the 4th inning, and the Cubs have runners on second and third with no outs.

Randy Wells singles to make it 4-0.

Brutus
09-14-2010, 10:23 PM
5-0 Cubbies. Still batting with 1 out & runners at first and second

membengal
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Lulled to sleep watching Daniel Hudson mesmerize the Reds, and just realized the Cubs are taking it to the Cardinals again.

Delightful.

Brutus
09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Lulled to sleep watching Daniel Hudson mesmerize the Reds, and just realized the Cubs are taking it to the Cardinals again.

Delightful.

The Reds have been lulled to sleep watching Daniel Hudson.

Brutus
09-14-2010, 10:54 PM
AL

White Sox have the bases loaded in a 2-2 game against the Twins in the bottom of the 6th inning. The Sox need to sweep this series to have any realistic chance to come back there. No outs with them loaded, though.

Yanks and Rays still tied 7-7. Yankees were up 6-0 until a 7-run 6th gave the Rays a 7-6 lead.

KC leads Oakland 11-1 in a meaningless game :)

NL

Braves lost 6-0 to Washington

Phillies up 2-1 to Florida in the 7th

San Diego holding a 4-3 lead at Colorado in the fifth. They just gave up 3 runs in the bottom of the 4th after being up 4-0

dsmith421
09-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Pedro Feliz is the gift that keeps on giving.

WebScorpion
09-14-2010, 11:15 PM
They really want Wainwright to get every chance at that 19th win, eh? 1 out in the top of the 8th and he's at 110 pitches and still pitching with 2 men on... All I can figure is they want him to finish the inning on the off chance they score 5 runs in the bottom half. :dunno:

Guess I should keep quiet...the 110th pitch was a DP to end the inning. :doh:

OnBaseMachine
09-14-2010, 11:32 PM
7-1 Cubs in the 9th and Cubs are still threatening.

corkedbat
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
cubbies playing add on in the 9th. Xman with a basesloaded one-out single - 7-1

Matt700wlw
09-14-2010, 11:36 PM
The important number hopefully becomes 12. The division lead number is almost unimportant at this point.

corkedbat
09-14-2010, 11:39 PM
7-2 on one-out Rasmus HR

reds44
09-14-2010, 11:39 PM

corkedbat
09-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Woo Hoo

OnBaseMachine
09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Cubs win, 7-2! Reds magic number drops to 12. Seven game lead with 17 games remaining.

WVRedsFan
09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Thought it was 11. My bad. Regardless it should have been 11 or even 9 now. Oh well.

corkedbat
09-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Since it doesn't seem likely the guys will clinch at home, I'd love to see them get hot and pour it on. It would be great to win the division by double-digits.

reds44
09-14-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't care where they clinch, just clinch early enough so we can set are playoff rotation and get everybody some rest.

The Operator
09-14-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't care where they clinch, just clinch early enough so we can set are playoff rotation and get everybody some rest.Especially Rolen and Phillips. Rolen can't catch up to a fastball to save his life right now, he needs a blow. Phillips is clearly still battling his hand injury.

Gomes could use some rest too. In fact, I'd rest him through the playoffs as well.

reds44
09-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Especially Rolen and Phillips. Rolen can't catch up to a fastball to save his life right now, he needs a blow. Phillips is clearly still battling his hand injury.

Gomes could use some rest too. In fact, I'd rest him through the playoffs as well.
Hahahaha.

Really, other than the catchers, Bruce, and OC everybody could use a blow right now. OC is 100 years old, so he could always use rest.

With Nix and Edmonds seemingly done for the year, it appears Francisco and Alonso are going to be our top 2 left handed PHs off the bench. Getting them some ABs can't hurt.

There's no doubt that Rolen and Phillips need it the most. I'd probably skip a turn for Cueto and Wood as well.

corkedbat
09-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Take the next two against the D-Backs, a couple against the Stros and then the 1st couple against the Beer Markers, the give Rolen and Phillips both days off next Wednesday and Sunday (both games before days off).

WVRedsFan
09-15-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't care where they clinch, just clinch early enough so we can set are playoff rotation and get everybody some rest.This.

I want some time for the tired--Rolen, Phillips, Gomes, etc. to get a blow and a victory lap.

Ron Madden
09-15-2010, 04:36 AM
I love seeing the magic number go down every night but wouldn't we all feel a bit more comfortable if we were to win more than three outta ten going down the stretch?

HokieRed
09-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I love seeing the magic number go down every night but wouldn't we all feel a bit more comfortable if we were to win more than three outta ten going down the stretch?

Precisely for this reason I'm still a long way from comfortable.

traderumor
09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
We're 3-2 in the current 10 game stretch and one win away from clinching a winning homestand. They almost pulled the rabbit out of the hat last night after Hudson was dominating. Right now, the Rockies sweep muddies the rolling last 10 picture.

Face it, until they clinch, some folks are going to be chewing their fingers down to the nubs.

OnBaseMachine
09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
We're 3-2 in the current 10 game stretch and one win away from clinching a winning homestand. They almost pulled the rabbit out of the hat last night after Hudson was dominating. Right now, the Rockies sweep muddies the rolling last 10 picture.

Face it, until they clinch, some folks are going to be chewing their fingers down to the nubs.

I won't be comfortable until the Reds clinch.

This homestand has featured the DBacks and Pirates, two of the worst teams in baseball. They're even worse on the road. Anything less than a 5-2 homestand will be disappointing, IMO.

Dusty must think the Reds have already clinched or something. Check out tonight's lineup. Wow.

BRM
09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Dusty must think the Reds have already clinched or something. Check out tonight's lineup. Wow.

That's one heck of a middle of the order, huh?

Cedric
09-15-2010, 06:12 PM
The Cardinals have shut down Jaime Garcia for the season.

Get ready for a vaunted Lohse/Hawksworth/Suppan possible 4/5 for the Cards.

CTA513
09-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Cardinals have officially given up.

Homer Bailey
09-15-2010, 06:19 PM

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/white_flag.jpg

Homer Bailey
09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/72/39/23463972.jpg

membengal
09-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Rats, didn't realize this was being discussed in here. My bad, all, for starting a seperate thread.

kaldaniels
09-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Can we start a support thread for all the "nervous nellies" out there...everytime the mood becomes positive someone one pops up bemoaning something.

I get it, you are entitled to your opinions...but I'm begging you guys out there...enjoy this...don't fret it...we got this one.

(And if the Reds implode and choke the division away I will be your pitchfork wielding brother-in-arms :D)

HokieRed
09-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Now 5-3 Cubs, Cardinals with men on 2nd and 3rd, two out, bottom 7.

oregonred
09-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Cards with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2-outs in the 7th for Rasmus.

The Voice of IH
09-15-2010, 11:29 PM
:eek:

oregonred
09-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Rasmus K's. 5-3 into the 8th...

The Voice of IH
09-15-2010, 11:30 PM
:beerme:

HokieRed
09-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Byrd leads off the 8th with a double.