PDA

View Full Version : MLB playoffs versus NFL/NBA/NHL playoffs

zacharync
09-06-2010, 09:12 PM
MLB- 30 teams with a 162 game regular season and 8 playoff spots.
NFL- 32 teams with a 16 game regular season and 12 playoff spots.
NBA- 30 teams with a 82 game regular season and 16 playoff spots
NHL- 30 teams with a 82 game regular season and 16 playoff spots.

NFL is single game elimination. NBA and NHL are 4 best of 7 series.

Meanwhile in the MLB. There are 3 rounds with the first one being only a best of 5.

Anyway, I wanted to put together a short list of reasons for and against a playoff expansion that likely never will happen.

Reasons for:
My main argument for it would be the number of games played. 162 is alot of games to play to only have 8 teams be post-season eligible. Not to mention, if the NBA/NHL can have 4 rounds of 7 game elimination why can't MLB. Finally, it would generate more income for all those involved. Post finally, more fan interest!

Reasons against:
I guess the first reason against that comes to my mind is the potential cheapening of the regular season. Obviously there is nothing like the pennant race in September. The last reason I can think of is tradition. We all know baseball doesn't like to change and I respect why it doesn't.

I realize this might not be the best year to open this discussion, but I can't help but notice the disconnect that occurs when comparing the MLB to other American pro sports leagues when it comes to the playoffs. I am interested in hearing the comments/thoughts of this forum regarding why there shouldn't be more postseason eligible teams.

RedsLvr
09-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Not enough games in the NFL postseason.
NBA postseason is too long.
Same for the NHL.

I like the MLB playoff system. My only complaint would be the home field advantage to the All-Star winner, which isn't so bad this year. ;)

RedCanuck
09-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Not enough games in the NFL postseason.
NBA postseason is too long.
Same for the NHL.

I like the MLB playoff system. My only complaint would be the home field advantage to the All-Star winner, which isn't so bad this year. ;)

RedCanuck
09-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Whoops.

I agree. I don't follow the NBA, but the NHL is too long with the finals finishing in June, unless your team is involved, it losses steam.

Could be worse though, we have the CFL up here, 16 game season, 8 teams of which 6 make the playoffs....

09-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Weather.

They already are starting the season close to two week earlier than usual to make sure the World Series doesn't go into November.

Selig already proposed a 154 game regular season schedule with an expanded post season that ended earlier, but the owners won't go for it. I think this will eventually go through once owners realize it's in their own best interest. Regular season games replaced by playoff games = more money for everyone.

Natty Redlocks
09-06-2010, 10:36 PM
All other sports should occur when it's not baseball season. That is all.

davereds24
09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
8 teams is plenty, should be a 7 game series in round 1 though. only off days should be travel days.

will5979
09-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Go back to the way it originally was in the NLCS, best 3 out of 5 games. As for the NLDS, make it a best 2 out of 3...would make for a much more interesting opening series if your team is not involved, be more fun for gambling as well. I'm starting to show my age I guess but I think that the playoffs are watered down.

I would go for...

LDS-best 2 out of 3
LCS-best 3 out of 5
WS-best 4 out of 7