PDA

View Full Version : George Grande returning to the booth Saturday!

Redsfan320
09-07-2010, 09:16 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2010/09/07/reds-tv-lineup-chris-and-cowboy-today-george-grande-saturday/

George Grande will come out of retirement for Satuday’s Reds-Pirates game on the 25th anniversary of Pete Rose’s 4,192.

Grande will do 7 Reds games on FSO the final 3-1/2 weeks of the season.

I'm thrilled, as is about 5% of Redszone, if that. The other 95+... probably not.

oneupper
09-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Grande > Keels
I'm not a Grande fan.

Always Red
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
It'll be great to hear GG's voice again. :thumbup:

His sunny optimism got me through some awful years around these parts.

Sea Ray
09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
How great will it be for Grande to come in under these conditions? After all the losing he had to broadcast, he may get to play the role of closer in a pennant winning year.

WMR
09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
It'll be great to hear GG's voice again. :thumbup:

His sunny optimism got me through some awful years around these parts.

Sunny optimism when it's totally unwarranted, especially where professional sports is concerned, makes me want to start reaching for sharp objects.

That being typed, I doubt he'll be quite as grating since the Reds are in first.

hebroncougar
09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
How great will it be for Grande to come in under these conditions? After all the losing he had to broadcast, he may get to play the role of closer in a pennant winning year.

Or he may cough it up. Call it the Grande Curse?

KronoRed
09-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Reds on tv will be worth hearing.

CarolinaRedleg
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
And Jim Edmonds on the shelf......pity.

GADawg
09-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Grande grates on my every nerve and I was sooo happy when he announced his retirement BUT after most of a season of Keels I'm reminded to always be careful what you wish for!

TeamBoone
09-07-2010, 11:27 PM
I like George very much... always did... and am looking forward to this. He deserves it after all the failures.

paintmered
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Grande > Keels
I'm not a Grande fan.

This. And I used to like listening to Keels.

The Voice of IH
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I love George Grande. He is one of the best announcers in baseball, and a very distinguished person in the business. I was upset when he retired. but I am sooo glad to have him back.

Tornon
09-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Grande > Keels
I'm not a Grande fan.

I agree completely with this

BearcatShane
09-08-2010, 01:23 AM
I probably missed something, but can someone explain why Welsch has been doing play by play?

CTA513
09-08-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm blaming Grande if the Reds blow the lead they have.

WMR
09-08-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm blaming Grande if the Reds blow the lead they have.

:lol:

OMG, you know you just guaranteed that it happens, right? :D

Cyclone792
09-08-2010, 08:28 AM
George Grande will get the same welcome from me that he got in previous years (and that Keels gets himself now), which is muting the television and turning on the radio.

Redsfan320
09-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I probably missed something, but can someone explain why Welsch has been doing play by play?

It's something that FSO decided a few weeks ago. Have Welsh and Cowboy do this series. And have Welsh do PBP. He's done PBP on the radio before in spring training. Based on what I've heard the 1st 2 games, it's not great, but it's still a lot better than Keels.

kbrake
09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Was never a Grande fan but like others said after the last decade I'm happy for him to get the chance to come back and call some games this season. Keels has been a major let down for me. Also think Welsch has done a nice job on the PBP for something he's not use to doing.

Unassisted
09-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Grande > Keels
I'm not a Grande fan.I liked Keels OK in the West Coast games he did recently. He's a part-timer and the Reds are not his primary gig. His occasional gaffes made it clear that he hasn't watched as many Reds games as most fans have. If he had as many games under his belt as Thom, I suspect we'd all like him better than Thom.

I honestly haven't missed George this season. Just like I wouldn't miss Ned Flanders on The Simpsons if he were never to appear there again. ;)

Wheelhouse
09-08-2010, 01:23 PM

i think it's Edmonds that is bringing him back.

SirFelixCat
09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Sunny optimism when it's totally unwarranted, especially where professional sports is concerned, makes me want to start reaching for sharp objects.

That being typed, I doubt he'll be quite as grating since the Reds are in first.

EXACTLY my thoughts. And, he can't be worse than Keels announcing baseball.

Redsfan320
09-08-2010, 01:40 PM
From Fay: His other 6 games:

Friday, September 17 Reds vs. Astros 8pm
Saturday, September 18 Reds vs. Astros 7pm
Sunday, September 19 Reds vs. Astros 2pm
Friday, September 24 Reds vs. Padres 10pm
Saturday, September 25 Reds vs. Padres 8:30pm
Sunday, September 26 Reds vs. Padres 4pm

Homer Bailey
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
It's been posted, but just to get everyone ready:

traderumor
09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Please forgive me. I miss George's excitement. I'm glad he is coming back to do a few games.

Thought I'd like Keels, but he doesn't know the game good enough, miscalls plays and players too frequently, and shows no excitement. He is a great football and basketball radio announcer because he can call the action, but TV baseball, he's been tried and found wanting.

He's also been exposed as having a false reputation for "Reds trivia buff." He makes some pretty ridiculous guesses whenever the reminiscing starts or trivia questions begin.

Reds1
09-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I love it.

OesterPoster
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't really care for Grande either...but I really, really hope I get to hear him say that the Reds came out on the smiling side of the scoreboard about 9 times. :)

GADawg
09-08-2010, 10:44 PM
as much as I dislike listening to Keels I gotta say he's definitely made me laugh alot this year....where else(since the passing of Harry Carey)can you hear an announcer say someone is trying to "stretch a double into a single"? Or my favorite..."and the 2-2 pitch is low and away...2 and 3".

TeamBoone
09-08-2010, 11:25 PM
George Grande will get the same welcome from me that he got in previous years (and that Keels gets himself now), which is muting the television and turning on the radio.

I find doing that annoying. Not because of George, because I like him, but because of the delay. It drives me nuts.

But then, I won't do it anymore anyway because Marty drives me even nuttier. I can't stand to listen to him anymore. I only do when I have no other choice.

Cyclone792
09-08-2010, 11:56 PM
I find doing that annoying. Not because of George, because I like him, but because of the delay. It drives me nuts.

But then, I won't do it anymore anyway because Marty drives me even nuttier. I can't stand to listen to him anymore. I only do when I have no other choice.

I've just learned to deal with the delay. I think it's a kind of lesser of two evils thing for me. Grande annoyed me that much when he was around, and Keels has been the same this year. I mean, I've even chosen a delayed Jeff Brantley radio play by play over Grande and Keels. That's how much Grande and Keels have rubbed me the wrong way. :lol:

Sometimes the radio is spot on with the TV feed. I'm not sure why it changes from game to game, though.

fugowitribe
09-09-2010, 01:06 AM

Is it just me, or does Welsch call a game as if it were on the radio? He is awful....Not as bad as Keels, but it has really been hard to listen to.

Also can I start the Petition to have a Brenneman on the air if/when the Reds clinch a playoff spot for the first time in 15 years. I really don't want to hear "And there gonna beeeeeeeeeeeee IN!!!!" or Keels when he says "The Reds lead by Dusty Rhodes are heading for the finals!"

Ron Madden
09-09-2010, 04:20 AM
I like George and I think he does a fine job.

I believe most fans make fun of him because they think it's the cool thing to do.

I'd much rather listen to George than have to listen to Jeff. Marty has a way of getting on my nerves sometimes too.

The Operator
09-09-2010, 04:25 AM
George is good in small doses and his style will go over much easier with me since The Reds are in first place. There's no denying he's a great guy.

mth123
09-09-2010, 04:31 AM

I believe most fans make fun of him because they think it's the cool thing to do.

I'd much rather listen to George than have to listen to Jeff. Marty has a way of getting on my nerves sometimes too.

:thumbup:

Jpup
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
He will be fine for one game, but the novelty will soon wear off. Anyone is better than Keels. I sure hope they replace him with Kelch next year.

WVRed
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Wonder if he will still make the advertisement for the "Best Sports Show Period".

Red in Chicago
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I'll be at that game, so I won't have to hear him :)

traderumor
09-09-2010, 03:32 PM

I'd much rather listen to George than have to listen to Jeff. Marty has a way of getting on my nerves sometimes too.I have made fun of George for legitimate reasons, like being overly complimentary to the opponent, use of cliches, announcing catch phrases, and overall Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm disposition. With that said, he is a step up from Keels.