PDA

View Full Version : Who would you 'sell the farm' for?

mattfeet
09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Maybe not literally, or totally sell the farm, but who is one person you would absolutely LOVE to have on the Reds and why?

For me, it's Ryan Braun. He brings a huge upgrade to LF defense, and his bat speaks for itself. I wouldn't think twice about paying very handsomely for him. His career numbers (4 seasons) are nothing short of awesome, and would obviously be an outstanding addition our lineup!

His 162 game average (over 4 seasons):
AVG: .307
OBP: .383
SLG: .551
OPS: .914
H: 199
HR: 36
RBI: 116

Can you imagine a 2011 lineup of:
Phillips
Janish
Votto
Braun
Rolen
Bruce
Heisey
Stubbs
Hanigan/Mesoraco

Who would you deal for?

redsfan_12
09-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Hanley Ramirez

Kiss the Baby00
09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
felix hernandez

texasdave
09-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Josh Hamilton would look good in a Reds' uni....again.

GIDP
09-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Hanley, or Greinke.

Orodle
09-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Albert Pujols and either him or Votto to LF. Albert played there years ago off and on when Big Mac was in town. Defensively neither could do much worse than Gomes and the trade off at the plate would be well worth it.

realistically will never happen though.

realistically i would go after Hanley Ramirez.

Girevik
09-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I'd LOVE to see the Reds get Carl Crawford for next year. The leadoff man we've been wanting to see for years.

I couldn't argue with Ramirez either, especially since it's more of a need position.

will5979
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I would have sold the farm for ManRam the other day. This has been our only chance in years to make a legit run and the ownership are just going with what they have, Edmonds was a waste and I feel that a major move for both a starting pitcher and a heavy hitter would have given us a 2010 World Series Champions banner...but hey who needs those we have Harang, Gomes, and Nix.:rolleyes:

GIDP
09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Sold the farm for Manny Ramirez? lol WAT

Girevik
09-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree they should have claimed Manny, but he's hardly a "sell the farm" kind of guy.

New York Red
09-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I'd LOVE to see the Reds get Carl Crawford for next year. The leadoff man we've been wanting to see for years.
I would LOVE this. The leadoff spot has been a huge problem for the Reds. And Crawford hasn't been sounding very happy lately. :beerme:

Girevik
09-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Crawford is a free agent after this year, and from everything I've heard he's at least going to test the market. The feel I've got is that the Rays are pretty much resigned to the fact that he's not coming back. He'll EFFEMINATELY be out there to be had, but the question is if the Reds will step up and get the deal done.

I'd have to say I have severe doubts, but I'd be jumping for joy if the Reds get it done.

mlh1981
09-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Something tells me that Crawford is going to the highest bidder.

In that case...."game over."

I'd love to have gotten a Johnny Damon, but I wouldn't "sell the farm" for a guy like that.

Maybe next year, we can get Magglio Ordonez, even though he's aging.

Hey Meat
09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Josh Hamilton again. Josh Johnson, Hanley Ramirez.

redsfan_12
09-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Crawford will be a Yankee

ThornWithin81
09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Ichiro. I love the way he plays the game. Love his speed, love his fielding, love his dedication to hits over strictly power.

Not exactly sure how our outfield would line up. I'd be too happy to care, not that it would happen.

ThornWithin81
09-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I would have sold the farm for ManRam the other day. This has been our only chance in years to make a legit run and the ownership are just going with what they have, Edmonds was a waste and I feel that a major move for both a starting pitcher and a heavy hitter would have given us a 2010 World Series Champions banner...but hey who needs those we have Harang, Gomes, and Nix.:rolleyes:

It's very easy to say that making a major move (well, two, by your logic) would have given us a Title. It's also extremely easy to assert that we should have done that, especially when you're not coming up with any actual ideas.

1) What pieces do we have that could be used to obtain a top of the rotation Starting Pitcher AND a "heavy hitter?"
2) Would you be willing to part with those pieces?
3) Would you be willing to part with those pieces if you realized said Ace starter was a rental?
4) If you trade youth away for a rental Ace, is it worth it in future seasons? Is the potential damage you do two, four, six years from now worth taking a stab at a title here and now? Do you believe that it's now or never - that this team and this talent (including the best pitching prospect this side of ever) can't win a World Series without grabbing someone else's ace?

Personally, I'm glad we didn't make a big move. Unless we could have traded Alonso and some lesser prospects for an Ace, which I seriously doubt, there were no options worth pursuing that we could afford/pull off. I'd rather keep the cupboard stocked and let our youth get their bearings.

Something I've been thinking about a lot recently - there's nothing stopping a guy like Homer Bailey from putting it all together. He's physically gifted. I'd say he's the same physical talent we thought he was when he was the next big thing a few years back. If and when he gets past his ego (I think he's taken strides already) I think he'll be a great second starter in our rotation. Aroldis Chapman will be a starter next year. He has a fluid, low-injury risk pitching motion (Relative to other pitchers - I know that pitching is unnatural at best across the board), he has incredible stuff and he is serious about the game.

Two years from now we could have the Ace in the league with absolute quality guys behind him.

I want us to pace ourselves. I'd rather be something great for a decade than take a stab at a title in 2010 and regret it down the line.

crazyjdawg
09-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Troy Tulowitzki, Hanley Ramirez, Starlin Castro,

will5979
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
It's very easy to say that making a major move (well, two, by your logic) would have given us a Title. It's also extremely easy to assert that we should have done that, especially when you're not coming up with any actual ideas.

1) What pieces do we have that could be used to obtain a top of the rotation Starting Pitcher AND a "heavy hitter?"
2) Would you be willing to part with those pieces?
3) Would you be willing to part with those pieces if you realized said Ace starter was a rental?
4) If you trade youth away for a rental Ace, is it worth it in future seasons? Is the potential damage you do two, four, six years from now worth taking a stab at a title here and now? Do you believe that it's now or never - that this team and this talent (including the best pitching prospect this side of ever) can't win a World Series without grabbing someone else's ace?

Personally, I'm glad we didn't make a big move. Unless we could have traded Alonso and some lesser prospects for an Ace, which I seriously doubt, there were no options worth pursuing that we could afford/pull off. I'd rather keep the cupboard stocked and let our youth get their bearings.

Something I've been thinking about a lot recently - there's nothing stopping a guy like Homer Bailey from putting it all together. He's physically gifted. I'd say he's the same physical talent we thought he was when he was the next big thing a few years back. If and when he gets past his ego (I think he's taken strides already) I think he'll be a great second starter in our rotation. Aroldis Chapman will be a starter next year. He has a fluid, low-injury risk pitching motion (Relative to other pitchers - I know that pitching is unnatural at best across the board), he has incredible stuff and he is serious about the game.

Two years from now we could have the Ace in the league with absolute quality guys behind him.

I want us to pace ourselves. I'd rather be something great for a decade than take a stab at a title in 2010 and regret it down the line.

To answer your question, yes I am a now or never guy, if you have an opportunity you have to go with, there are no gaurantees in the future.

As a history teacher let me point out certain events in history that has repeated itself in my lifetime of baseball...

1990-young team with young talent shows the Reds have a great decade ahead of them, oh wait Eric Davis is now ruined and for some odd reason this same team posts a 5th place finish with an embarassing record in 1991, they won 90 games in 1992 but finished 2nd to Atlanta, 2nd place is just the 1st loser.
1994-strike shortened season robs us of a possible WS title that year
1995-after a great season management thought Ron Gant, Benito Santiago, and David Wells were expendable, the result, 3 straight non winning seasons.
1999-great year, young talent, then we land the best player in baseball, could have had him for Pokey Reese but no old JimBo didn't want to give up the future of the organization! Then the infamous lost decade.

In closing even though the future looks great with our talent there is nothing set in stone. Winning a World Series this year would be enough justification to part with some younger talent and re-vamp it over the next five years. A World Series title is forever, a failed pennant race is forgotten. Nobody remembers number 2. I am living in the moment and not thinking of the future. Win this year and imagine the Euphoria!!! The success this year is addicting and I want more, meaning an NL Central Title, a pennant, and a ring, who says we have to stop there? Hit up the free agent market in the offseason and try to build a dynasty.

Vottomatic
09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
felix hernandez

I actually think trading for him is possible if you offer enough.

Seattle needs alot of pieces, and they won't be competing anytime soon. Meanwhile, having Hernandez under contract does them little good except for costing them alot of money, when they aren't anywhere near ready to contend for several years or more.

We have lots of pieces to deal too.

The yearly amount of his contract is what is scary: $10.7M - '11, $19.2M - '12, $20.2M - '13, $20.7M - '14.

I cannot see the Reds being willing to pay that much, but he is the type of pitcher that would put us over the top. But another way to look at it is if you don't re-sign Arroyo. You've unloaded approximately $24-$25M in starting pitching salary in Arroyo/Harang other than buying out their options at $4M total. And then you have all of this other "young" pitching - Cueto, Leake, Wood, Bailey, Volquez, Maloney, etc..........Chapman.......let them duke it out to make the 4 other spots of the rotation.

The Reds would have their ace #1 starter, and a pretty good rotation following Hernandez. Also, Cordero is gone after '11. So you save another $12M.

I also like the Ryan Braun idea, although not sure we could afford him if we traded for Hernandez. I really think we need to bolster the lineup some more behind Joey. As much as I like Rolen, I think we need a more reliable bat in the 4-hole.

RF Bruce
2B Valaika
1B Votto
LF Braun
3B Rolen
CF Stubbs/Heisey
SS Janish
C Hanigan/Hernandez

SP - Felix Hernandez
SP - Cueto
SP - Wood
SP - Bailey
SP - Leake
SP - other options - Volquez, Chapman, Maloney

CL - Cordero
RP - Chapman
RP - Masset
RP - Ondrusek
others

arkimadee
09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Benny Agbayani...!!

What about Jeter for a season???

Kingspoint
09-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Cliff Lee

or

Roy Halladay

KOBasinger
09-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Hanley, Felix or Greinke

JKam
09-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Kal Daniels :)

Kiss the Baby00
09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
felix is so good he could win the cy young as a sub 500 pitcher

MikeThierry
09-08-2010, 09:47 PM
If you guys got Crawford and another pitcher, the Reds would be division winners for most of the decade. Crawford at the top of your lineup would be a nightmare for everyone, including the horses they have on the Cards.

Vottomatic
09-08-2010, 11:51 PM
If you guys got Crawford and another pitcher, the Reds would be division winners for most of the decade. Crawford at the top of your lineup would be a nightmare for everyone, including the horses they have on the Cards.

I hear that the Reds are going to pursue Crawford and will probably trade for Felix Hernandez.

So enjoy second place for a long time. :D

redlegs2370
09-09-2010, 09:29 PM
After watching the last four games against the Rox, Troy Tulowitzki! He flat out has a cannon for an arm and can pick it not to mention his power at the plate.

MikeThierry
09-09-2010, 11:58 PM
The Yankee fan in me wishes the Cards would double ticket prices to get Crawford and Cliff Lee in the off season.

GIDP
09-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Felix Hernandez would like to be added to my list.

Red Forman
09-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Brooklyn Decker!!!!

http://img.listal.com/image/370426/600full-brooklyn-decker.jpg

mattfeet
09-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Brooklyn Decker!!!!

http://img.listal.com/image/370426/600full-brooklyn-decker.jpg

Wow, best post of the thread. :beerme:

-Matt

justincredible
09-11-2010, 01:56 PM
After watching the last four games against the Rox, Troy Tulowitzki! He flat out has a cannon for an arm and can pick it not to mention his power at the plate.

I agree with this.

Felix is my other choice.