PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think the Reds miss the playoffs?

kaldaniels
09-08-2010, 12:41 AM
I sure don't but with all the handwringing lately, does anyone want to call their shot and predict the Reds miss the playoffs? No middle ground on this one...I don't care if you are nervous...simply, does anyone predict the Reds miss the playoffs?

- If this thread gets no responses...thats a good thing if you ask me.

WebScorpion
09-08-2010, 12:48 AM
nope. :cool:

MattyHo4Life
09-08-2010, 01:01 AM
nope

Tornon
09-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Nah

RBA
09-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Just enjoy it. Whatever will be, will be.

reds44
09-08-2010, 01:08 AM
No.

WVRedsFan
09-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Nope. I think it will be a lot closer than 6 games at the end, but we'll win the division and make the playoffs. After that, I have no idea.

Brutus
09-08-2010, 01:12 AM
I sure don't but with all the handwringing lately, does anyone want to call their shot and predict the Reds miss the playoffs? No middle ground on this one...I don't care if you are nervous...simply, does anyone predict the Reds miss the playoffs?

- If this thread gets no responses...thats a good thing if you ask me.

Fortunately, I think the Cardinals are inept offensively. I stated that around the first series with them in August and have felt that way ever since. Because of that, I still like the Reds' chances. However, I think they will be swept against the Rockies and there is still enough time for things to go awry. I don't think it's time to do any celebrating yet.

marcshoe
09-08-2010, 01:17 AM
No. If we didn't expect a stretch like this, we should have. It doesn't negate what this team has done and what it's still capable of doing, however. I think you'll see another good stretch begin very soon.

BearcatShane
09-08-2010, 01:21 AM
I just cant wait for the Pirates to roll into town this weekend. That will help a lot. I hope.

WVRedsFan
09-08-2010, 01:26 AM
I just cant wait for the Pirates to roll into town this weekend. That will help a lot. I hope.Be careful what you wish for :). Seriously, we need to do some business against somebody and the Pirates are as good as anyone to do it against.

MattyHo4Life
09-08-2010, 01:33 AM
I just cant wait for the Pirates to roll into town this weekend. That will help a lot. I hope.

Could this be another jinx? ;) You guys are brave! :cool:

BearcatShane
09-08-2010, 01:36 AM
After the Colorado series the Reds only play 3 more games against a team with a winning record.

SirFelixCat
09-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Absolutely not.

corkedbat
09-08-2010, 02:35 AM
I'd really like to see them take the next two against the Rox and head into town against the Bucs on a roll.

Ron Madden
09-08-2010, 03:46 AM
I believe the Reds will win the division.

Once the playoffs start anything can happen.

TheNext44
09-08-2010, 04:28 AM
I believe that Reds will miss the playoffs this season. And I am not just saying this to reverse the jynx of this thread ;)

Topcat
09-08-2010, 05:13 AM
There fine and they will win the division.

RFS62
09-08-2010, 07:05 AM
I'd rather get this out of our system and start the momentum going again closer to the playoffs.

Of course, you take what you get at all times. But ebbs and flows are part of any season, even championship ones.

GAC
09-08-2010, 07:33 AM
The Reds have the dregs of the NL to play in Pirates, Houston, Milwaukee, and Arizona, with one 3 game series left with SD. This season, the Reds are 7-2 vs the Strohs, 7-1 vs Brewers, 8-5 vs Pirates, and 3-0 vs D'Backs.

The Cards, after this Brewer series (and the Brew Crew has given the fits this year), go into Atlanta for 4 games. But what is going to be interesting is their very last series of the year vs these Rockies. It's a 4 game series, and the Rockies swept the Cards back in July.

We're gonna make it. Not saying it may not be ugly; but after the last decade I'll take ugly if it gets us a division crown and into the post-season.

cumberlandreds
09-08-2010, 08:51 AM
They will make it. The schedule, like GAC pointed out, really favors the Reds. If they don't make it they will no one to blame but themselves. I also don't think the Cards have a real hot streak in them which is what it would take from them to overtake the Reds.

deltachi8
09-08-2010, 08:57 AM
I would not bet on it either way. With only 2 reliable starters, you can't completely discount taking the gas pipe

Roy Tucker
09-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Nope. I wouldn't predict it.

But it can sure as blue blazes happen. I am forever scarred by 1964. But I don't think it will.

Things are never as bad as they seem and never as good as they seem.

Cyclone792
09-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Right now I'm more frustrated with the missed opportunity for home field breathing room than the playoffs. San Diego's losing streak and Atlanta faltering a bit gave us the chance to grab a couple games on home field, but the Reds haven't been able to take advantage of it.

St. Louis losing last night really helped, because they're just running out of games to make up ground. I also think the Cards are about ready to knock on the door of a death house in Atlanta, because the Braves went from feeling pretty comfortable a month ago to now fighting for their playoff lives. Atlanta's now behind Philly by a half game and only leads the Giants by one game in the wildcard; they'll need every win they can get.

Griffey012
09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
If they do miss it I will cry...a lot.

dfs
09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm as pessimistic as any reds fan, but I can't see this club stumbling at this point.

Now....I'll be glad to complain that they won't go far in the post season, but for the moment I'll just enjoy where we're at.

reds1869
09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
The Reds will make the playoffs, even if the Cardinals close the gap. The amount of ground to be made up by StL requires a nice run by them and a major league meltdown by Cincinnati.

Screwball
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
The Reds will make the playoffs, even if the Cardinals close the gap. The amount of ground to be made up by StL requires a nice run by them and a major league meltdown by Cincinnati.

Yeah, it'd be about as likely as blowing two seperate 6-run 9th-inning leads in one season. ;)

I love this team, but I think they've aged me about 20 years this season.

bucksfan2
09-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, it'd be about as likely as blowing two seperate 6-run 9th-inning leads in one season. ;)

It sure was a lot easier when they were 20 games back at this point in the season.

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
The time to put some more distance between the Reds and Cardinals is this upcoming homestand for the Reds. The Reds begin a seven game homestand against the Pirates and Diamondbacks this weekend. The Pirates and DBacks are two of the worst teams in baseball, but they are especially bad on the road (Pittsburgh: 14-53; Arizona: 22-43). Meanwhile, the Cardinals travel to Atlanta for four games against the Braves before returning home for a homestand against the Cubs and Padres.

We need to aim for a 5-2 or better homestand. If the Reds can scrap out at least one win in Colorado, and then win at least five on the upcoming homestand, that could just about wrap things up.

max venable
09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
YouTube - Playoffs??? The Sound Byte (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk)

Roy Tucker
09-08-2010, 12:18 PM

You know, any time your favorite team is in contention, it ages you.

I can remember in the BRM days worrying about the team and what they'd do. 20-20 hindsight tells me I was crazy to fear for that, but when you are in the moment, its all not so clear.

But that is all the lot of a baseball fan. Its a long season with its ebbs and flows. April to October is a long time and its a roller coaster ride. A contending baseball season gets integrated with how you live your life. You experience all the ups and downs and all the rewards (hopefully there are some).

Like from the moview Parenthood:

Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.

Ghosts of 1990
09-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I also think the Cards are about ready to knock on the door of a death house in Atlanta, because the Braves went from feeling pretty comfortable a month ago to now fighting for their playoff lives.

Very good point, I agree with it.

VR
09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
It sure was a lot easier when they were 20 games back at this point in the season.

That summarizes it pretty well.

They'll make it....most likely by 5+ games in the division.

RedsManRick
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I think the final standings will be closer than they are today, but we're going to win the division.

redsmetz
09-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I think it's time to invoke the name of The Rally Onion.

redsmetz
09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
My serious response is that I don't think the Reds will miss the playoffs, but we can't take any game for granted. Ultimately, we need to control our own fate and win as many games as we can and let the chips fall where they may. But the Cardinals, as I've noted elsewhere, have a tremendous task in front of them to overtake us. Still, I won't relax until we've finally got it in hand.

GAC
09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I also think the Cards are about ready to knock on the door of a death house in Atlanta, because the Braves went from feeling pretty comfortable a month ago to now fighting for their playoff lives.

I hope you're right. I'l be doing that Tomahawk Chop during the series. :p:

But the Cards swept the Braves the last time they played, though that was in St Louis.

That end-of-the-season 4 game series the Cards have vs the Rockies could be pivotal IMO.

GAC
09-08-2010, 03:33 PM
If they do miss it I will cry...a lot.

YouTube - No Crying in Baseball (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48brs4QRjY)

Captain Hook
09-09-2010, 02:47 AM
YouTube - No Crying in Baseball (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48brs4QRjY)

I think the Cardinals need to hire Tom Hanks as a motivational speaker.

redsmetz
09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Appropriate piece on the Red Reporter site viz teams choking with 25 games or less left - only happened six times. Bad news is it can happen (we all knew that). Good news is history is on our side.

http://www.redreporter.com/2010/9/9/1678296/it-would-be-an-historic-event-if