PDA

View Full Version : Reds Vewing Habits

Rockermann
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Another poll on here has recently surprised me. So, I thought I would pose this one to get some feedback on how folks watch the Reds and other sports.

I'm a BIG DVR guy. I don't watch anything live. Reds games I start watching at about 1 hour in so that after fast-forwarding through commercials and pitching changes, I end up catching up to 'live' right about the end of the game.

With the NFL starting Sunday, I'm going to be putting both of my DVRs to task. Steelers, Packers and Reds (not necessarily in that order).

So, I guess I surprised there are not more DVR users out there. They've been available now for a long time. So... how do you view your sports?

bshall2105
09-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I watch everything live. Waiting an hour is worse than sitting through commercials for me.

Rockermann
09-08-2010, 05:47 PM
I watch everything live. Waiting an hour is worse than sitting through commercials for me.

I hear you. It took me a long time to get used to waiting and then being 'behind' real time. But, it only took one inning of CoCo melting down before I realized how big an advantage Fast Forwarding can be. :)

mlh1981
09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
The majority of them live.

I'm almost always home at that time of night.

Rockermann
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
The majority of them live. I'm almost always home at that time of night.

But why watch live (if you have a DVR)? I'm always at home game time too. But I always record it and start about 1 hour into the game. For one, I can watch a 3 hour game in about 2 hours (after fast forwarding through commercials) and thereby have time for other activities.

And for two, if I hear that 'We got zero, at King's Honda' jingle again, I'll go nuts. :D

mckbearcat48
09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm betting some of the younger fans may need a refresher course on what a VCR is.

Rockermann
09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm betting some of the younger fans may need a refresher course on what a VCR is.

Indeed. Maybe a museum field trip is in order. :)

Reds
09-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Marty on the radio, Bengals muted on TV.

arkimadee
09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
i can't do dvr for sports.. i have to watch it live or I will just check the score. anytime i try to watch a game on my dvr, i end up just looking at the score because i can't wait to know who won

Krawhitham
09-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Another poll on here has recently surprised me. So, I thought I would pose this one to get some feedback on how folks watch the Reds and other sports.

I'm a BIG DVR guy. I don't watch anything live. Reds games I start watching at about 1 hour in so that after fast-forwarding through commercials and pitching changes, I end up catching up to 'live' right about the end of the game.

With the NFL starting Sunday, I'm going to be putting both of my DVRs to task. Steelers, Packers and Reds (not necessarily in that order).

So, I guess I surprised there are not more DVR users out there. They've been available now for a long time. So... how do you view your sports?

I'll watch the Reds game and flip during commercials to football. After the Reds I will watch football. I dvr everything but sports

mlh1981
09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
But why watch live (if you have a DVR)? I'm always at home game time too. But I always record it and start about 1 hour into the game. For one, I can watch a 3 hour game in about 2 hours (after fast forwarding through commercials) and thereby have time for other activities.

And for two, if I hear that 'We got zero, at King's Honda' jingle again, I'll go nuts. :D

"Here at JTM, we are Reds fans, and we hope you are too!" :D

Yeah, I get what you mean. I'm a single guy, with no kids or really anything else to do in the evenings Mon-Thurs evening, so it works out for me, but I'm sure I'll get a DVR one of these years when responsibilities increase and what not.

sean
09-09-2010, 01:43 AM
I get text updates automatically for the rare occasion I miss a game. I have to watch it live or else have it ruined for me.

Kingspoint
09-09-2010, 02:24 AM

I do that, too.

I've had Comcast (Xfinity), Dish and DirectTV, each of them for multiple years. DirectTV is the only one who's DVR has a 30-second advance button. It's the perfect amount of time where a play ends and they are about to snap the next play.

Kingspoint
09-09-2010, 02:25 AM
I don't watch Baseball unless it's the REDS, so I haven't had to watch them in September since 1999.

Kingspoint
09-09-2010, 02:29 AM
But, if it comes to watching the REDS on a Sunday, I don't care at all to watch. For one, the Sunday lineups that Dusty puts out there are junk. For another, I just don't care. With 162 games, each individual game doesn't have the impact a single NFL game has, though with the ever-expanding season, that's beginning to change. 16 games is too many. 18 games is just plain stupid. The REDS have wrapped up their Division, so now it's just about seeding. I can catch them 6 other days when the Bengals aren't playing. It's no big deal to miss one game that has little significance.

09-09-2010, 03:07 AM
First, if you are planning on DVRing the football game, I recommend recording shows at least an hour past the expected end of the game, as the networks always underestimate how long the game will go.

Second, if you plan on taping it with your VCR, I recommend throwing out your VCR and getting a DVR, this ain't 1987. :p:

Rockermann
09-09-2010, 09:28 AM
I get text updates automatically for the rare occasion I miss a game. I have to watch it live or else have it ruined for me.

I know that pain. I get updates on my Blackberry via Twitter too. During the game (that I'm DVRing), I ignore them. I have different tones setup for email, text, tweets etc., so I can tell which ones to ignore. It's somewhat complicated, but I'd still rather do this than suffer through a live broadcast. I've been using a DVR since around 2000 and I just can't stand to have to wait through commercials.

Someone else mentioned the 30 second skip on the DirecTV DVR. It works great indeed. The ball is caught in the outfield for an out... hit the button and the first pitch to the next batter is arriving at the plate. Four pushes of the button and your through the commercials. It's truly a Godsend. :)

Rockermann
09-09-2010, 09:30 AM
...Second, if you plan on taping it with your VCR, I recommend throwing out your VCR and getting a DVR, this ain't 1987. :p:

Ain't that the truth. Another pet peeve of mine is someone saying they taped the game when in fact they're using a DVR (no tape involved). :D

will5979
09-09-2010, 09:34 AM
And for two, if I hear that 'We got zero, at
King's Honda' jingle again, I'll go nuts. :D

Haha! I almost have the commercials memorized as well.

"In the Kings Auto Mall."

"At Ray St. Claire Roofing..."

"At AE Door & Windows we're Reds fan and we hope that you are too."

"JTM where we sell the best and service the rest."

"Sir have been drinking, everywhere cops are cracking down!"

Captain13
09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I love the pace of a baseball game, that is why I watch it live. If I DVR the game, I end up using FF between pitches and it ruins the flow. I love the DVR for shows, but not for sports.

Girevik
09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I love the DVR, but the biggest problem I have is not accidentally seeing a score for a game I'm recording, fast forwarding a bit too far during a commercial and getting a "sneak preview" of an upcoming play.

I do that, too.

I've had Comcast (Xfinity), Dish and DirectTV, each of them for multiple years. DirectTV is the only one who's DVR has a 30-second advance button. It's the perfect amount of time where a play ends and they are about to snap the next play.

It does? I have Direct and wasn't aware of that function. I know of the flash back button, but what's the jump forward button>

Rockermann
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
See this page (http://popcritics.com/2008/01/16/directtv-upgrades-30-second-skip-scheduler-and-i-miss-my-to-do-button) to see how to enable the true 'skip' feature. And you use this button to utilize it:

http://www.directv.com/images/assets/tunein/200903/30secSlip.jpg

mlh1981
09-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Haha! I almost have the commercials memorized as well.

"In the Kings Auto Mall."

"At Ray St. Claire Roofing..."

"At AE Door & Windows we're Reds fan and we hope that you are too."

"JTM where we sell the best and service the rest."

"Sir have been drinking, everywhere cops are cracking down!"

I still get a chuckle out of that one, 908949805 times later.......

bounty37h
09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
For sports I have to watch live. I know it doesnt *really* have an impact on the team/game, but I feel like if I am not supporting them in live time it can ruin a rally or whatever. I know, crazy.

mckbearcat48
09-09-2010, 02:56 PM
It's impressive that you guys have the commercials down. I get regional Cards broadcasts, and we only have 4 local commercials.

Kingspoint
09-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I can't believe I opened this thread today and Direct TV tried to put a cookie on my computer. Who set that up? That's never happened here before.

ThornWithin81
09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I generally watch the Reds live. I don't flip back and forth beyond checking on other scores between innings.

pinhead
09-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Live. Reds on the Tv and my Bills on the computer.

Rockermann
09-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Live. Reds on the Tv and my Bills on the computer.

I usually pay my bills on the computer too, but just not during the Reds game. :D

Hey Meat
09-10-2010, 03:36 PM

You sir have sports ADD. (just messing with you) I can't watch it later even on DVR, especially if I already know the score. It has to be live.

Rockermann
09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
You sir have sports ADD. (just messing with you) I can't watch it later even on DVR, especially if I already know the score. It has to be live.

Ha! You're probably right about the ADD. My wife would agree for sure.

And yeah, if I hear the score of the game before I watch it, it's ruined. I won't even bother then. So, I have to be very careful not to let anyone mention the score to me.

Hey Meat
09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Ha! You're probably right about the ADD. My wife would agree for sure.

And yeah, if I hear the score of the game before I watch it, it's ruined. I won't even bother then. So, I have to be very careful not to let anyone mention the score to me.
Hey Thanks for the tip on the true skip for Direct TV. I have had Direct TV for 2 years and had no idea about that. Appreciate it.

Rockermann
09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey Thanks for the tip on the true skip for Direct TV. I have had Direct TV for 2 years and had no idea about that. Appreciate it.

No problem. I'm a DirecTV and DVR junkie. Glad to spread the addiction whenever I can. :D

You'll LOVE that 30 second skip.

DocRed
09-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Recently I have been watching us bat live and flipping to another channel when we are pitching because I can't stand seeing us give up so many runs :X

Kingspoint
09-11-2010, 12:20 AM
No problem. I'm a DirecTV and DVR junkie. Glad to spread the addiction whenever I can. :D

You'll LOVE that 30 second skip.

I wish the other companies would figure out how important that button is and put it into their DVR's.

How could you not come up with a 30-second button? That's the best feature about using a DVR. No commercials. Perfect fast-forwarding. Perfect for between snaps in the NFL.

Rockermann
09-11-2010, 12:31 AM
I wish the other companies would figure out how important that button is and put it into their DVR's.

How could you not come up with a 30-second button? That's the best feature about using a DVR. No commercials. Perfect fast-forwarding. Perfect for between snaps in the NFL.

Originally, years ago, they stayed away from it because they were afraid of what the broadcasters would do with all of their commercials being skipped. They were worried about legal actions. Even on the original Tivos, it was a 'hidden' feature. At this point, it doesn't look they they have any recourse, so you'd think more manufacturers would start utilizing the feature.

And of course, the 30-second skip works best for watching REDS games!

Kingspoint
09-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Originally, years ago, they stayed away from it because they were afraid of what the broadcasters would do with all of their commercials being skipped. They were worried about legal actions. Even on the original Tivos, it was a 'hidden' feature. At this point, it doesn't look they they have any recourse, so you'd think more manufacturers would start utilizing the feature.

And of course, the 30-second skip works best for watching REDS games!

Or Brandon Phillips between pitches.