PDA

View Full Version : Book Finally Out on Phillips?

Orodle
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Are teams finally catching on that you do not have to throw a strike in the zone to get him out? He will get himself out. Its been pretty ridiculous that a ML hitter knowing hes in a slump will still go out hacking 2-0 at junk in the dirt with the league MVP on deck behind him. Paging Valaika!

zacharync
09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Why don't you settle down pal. Try and remember he is still coming back from an injury.

mattfeet
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Why don't you settle down pal. Try and remember he is still coming back from an injury.

lol, for real.

-Matt

Orodle
09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
So because hes coming off injury he should still try to swing for the fences when pitchers arent throwing him strikes, doing nothing to get on base with the MVP on deck. Yes yes good game plan.

big boy
09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Phillips is a great player and fun to watch. He plays with tons of energy. However, he does make some bad choices. He is signed thru 2011. His big payday is next year where he will make $11 million. I would not be shocked if he traded this off season and there is little or no chance that they pick up his option and have him back in 2012.

GIDP
09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Emotional player, going through a slump. As long as he figures out that hes playing himself into the ground he will be fine.

sean
09-09-2010, 12:26 AM
He needs a day off right now. He's trying to compensate for his play by playing outside of himself which in turn is making it worse.

He's a great ball player who is beating himself.

09-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Phillips has been playing nearly every day since 2006, playing in over 700 games with over 3100 PA's during that time. If it has taken the league this long to figure him out, than it is a very dumb league.

mmt1552
09-09-2010, 05:16 AM
Phillips has been playing nearly every day since 2006, playing in over 700 games with over 3100 PA's during that time. If it has taken the league this long to figure him out, than it is a very dumb league.

This is exactly what I was going to post. I am sure the league knows of Phillips' tendencies of swinging early in the count (well at least before this year) and everything near the strike zone.

brm7675
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
So because hes coming off injury he should still try to swing for the fences when pitchers arent throwing him strikes, doing nothing to get on base with the MVP on deck. Yes yes good game plan.

Phillips has flaws in his game just like all players do. The problem right now is that the team is struggling against a hot team so those flaws get magnified. Phillips isn't a great hitter, he is a decent hitter who when he gets hot can rake with the best of them. Right now coming off a wrist injury and missing games he is going to struggle, but not anymore then he has at other times.

Krawhitham
09-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Was he coming back from an injury when they played the Cards last month too?

zacharync
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM

No he wasn't. What's your point? Great players go 3 for 4 every game?

ThornWithin81
09-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Exactly. He's still below 100%. He was doing great before he got plunked on the hand.

Nothing to worry about.

ThornWithin81
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM

It's pretty convenient to ignore how well he did in between the Cards series and the recent series when he took over in the lead-off role.

You can't pick and choose.

PeteRoseBelongs
09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
i like Brandon Phillips very much. So much so that i traded a pretty good piece to get him for a few years in my dynasty league. Saying that Brandon has had issues with not running out plays and he has shot his mouth off from time to time. There really isn't nothing new with him. It's almost as if sometimes that he forgets that other men are counting on him to run out a ground ball, or run the bases hard, or make that extra effort from time to time. There is no question that he has a ton of talent.

BAKER12
09-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Brandon is a great player. A 2B with good power, steals bases and plays awesome defense. He is not a .300 hitter, I can handle a .270 average with all the other things he brings to the table. Most teams would kill for a 2B with his numbers.

Vottomatic
09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I read an article within the last couple of days where Brandon says CarGo should be the NL MVP.

Personally, I think this hints at BP being very jealous of Joey. He should be pimping his teammate instead of naming other guys MVP. It would be different if Joey wasn't in the running, but he is. Is Brandon the weak link in terms of team chemistry? Makes you wonder.