PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question About Stubbs

redssince75
09-09-2010, 04:36 PM
If Dusty next year decides to bat him 1st and start him every game, could he set an all-time MLB record for Ks? It certainly seems possible if he gets enough ABs.

You know how you see the HR-per-plate-appearance stat. Anywhere to get a similar stat re: Ks per plate appearance?

redssince75
09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Found Stubbs' KA (percentage of plate appearances where he has struck out)from 2 days ago -- .288. Of course, it's even higher since then.

Only 2 regular MLB players (minimum of 3.1 PA per game) have a higher KA:

Adam Dunn .299
Mark Reynolds .344

zacharync
09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I think he probably would if given the opportunity to play that long with those numbers. Fortunately, I don't see him having that long of a leash.

brm7675
09-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Stubbs needs to spend this offseason in Arizona. he should be playing in teh fall league and doing nothing but bunting every opportunity he can get. After that season ends he should be in the cage and working with our hitting coaches on perfecting his ability to bunt. He does that he cuts way down on his strikeouts, his avg goes up by 20-30pts and his OBP improves.

GIDP
09-09-2010, 07:52 PM
His last 391 PA
.261/.325/.436

.760 OPS out of a CF like Stubbs is more than good enough to play on 32 MLB teams.

redssince75
09-09-2010, 10:35 PM
His last 391 PA

Is there some reason you chose this rather than just looking at his season?

Altsciguy
09-10-2010, 09:25 AM
I realize Stubbs has a lot of K's but if you look beyond just that one stat he is an overall solid player. He is fast fast fast and speed kills. His defence in CF is the best we have and better then most. He steals bases, hit homers etc. etc. etc. Please names one weakness of Stubbs other then the K's. I do not see any. He swings at some real bad ball pitches and that leads to more K's but he is swinging (I hate seeing a player just watch the 3rd strike go by). So yes he needs to work on having a "good eye" and choosing his pitches better but I am no where near ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Leave him near the top of the order, get him to watch pitches a bit better (get some walks or make them throw stikes, cause strikes he can hit. look at HR's doubles and triples) and get on base. Because when he gets on then he is a real threat for stealing and getting one more base then expected on a hit, and that equals more runs and that leads to more wins. Stubbs is a keeper in my book.

PeteRoseBelongs
09-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Stubbs is a rookie and learning. He should not be in the leadoff. he needed to be hitting 7 or 8 this year.

if we are going to state that he has a hard time and swings at bad pitches so does Jay Bruce.

The problem right now is that he is totally lost at the plate and we do not have the proper coaches at the major league level to work with young hitters. These guys are not progressing at this level they regress.

But i agree he should play in the arizona league this winter and he should be forced to bunt every single plate appearance. He has incredible speed.

But like Phillips this kid swings for the fences on every pitch. Just make contact baby

Jefferson24
09-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Stubbs will improve next year but should still not be batting lead off, the problem is who does bat lead off? I think by 2012 Stubbs will have improved his contact and have a better eye for the strike zone he should be able to bat lead off successfully.

New York Red
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I love Stubbs. The K's are one of his few weaknesses as a baseball player. I'd like to see him shorten his swing, maybe even choke up a couple inches, when he falls behind in the count. I don't know if he'll ever be a great bunter or ideal leadoff hitter. But with all the other tools he has, if he'd just become a better contact hitter he could easily become an all-star caliber player. The Reds would be foolish to give up on him any time soon.

GIDP
09-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Is there some reason you chose this rather than just looking at his season?

A few reasons

1 it was when he was moved out of the lead off spot.

2 it also skipped the terrible start of 103 PA that was just beyond pathetic. I wanted to show how he has hit since he got out of that terrible slump to start the year. Those PA really kill his seasonal numbers despite it only being his first 22 game and the other numbers being over a 103 games. Hes been a pretty good player for a large portion of the year.

3 his BABIP during his 391 PA was .341 which isnt way out of line for a guy with his speed, and his BABIP was .203 at the begining of the year to suggest that even hitting terribly that still amazingly low.

Hope that clears that up.

Vottomatic
09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Plate discipline is a big problem with alot of hitters on this team.

Having said that, I'm still not sure Stubbs is ever going to be more than a .250 hitter that teases us with speed and modest power.