PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Bruce?

Cedric
09-10-2010, 12:21 AM
I think it's fairly obvious the Reds can't have sustained success without a healthy Jay. I haven't been able to track down any info on his timetable to return.

Ghosts of 1990
09-10-2010, 09:37 AM
He took 50 swings Tuesday off a batting T. Reported no pain.

Wednesday he took BP at 50-60 percent and reported no pain.

Yesterday John Fay reported that he took batting practice, swung a little harder, even hitting a few out. Fay said he'd expect Bruce to return this weekend.

VR
09-10-2010, 10:03 AM
By the way, what's hurt?

Cedric
09-10-2010, 10:07 AM
By the way, what's hurt?

It's odd but I haven't exactly heard either. I created this thread because I had heard on Wednesday that he was going to take BP and could probably play soon. After that I didn't hear a word.

cumberlandreds
09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
By the way, what's hurt?

The Reds have only said its pain in his right side. I suspect its an oblique but for whatever reason they don't want to say that.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Forgive me if this has been brought up (I've been kind of out of it lately), but has there been any talk of the possibility of that post-game celebration being the cause of Bruce's injury? Just curious.

I remember thinking at the time, "just leave him alone, you're going to hurt him." I'm surprised that the chasing-after-the-hero-to-beat-him-up thing hasn't been outlawed by management yet. It's pretty silly.

Ghosts of 1990
09-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Forgive me if this has been brought up (I've been kind of out of it lately), but has there been any talk of the possibility of that post-game celebration being the cause of Bruce's injury? Just curious.

I remember thinking at the time, "just leave him alone, you're going to hurt him." I'm surprised that the chasing-after-the-hero-to-beat-him-up thing hasn't been outlawed by management yet. It's pretty silly.

Tried to send you a PM. You have exceeded message storage. Clear your inbox so I can send it

LoganBuck
09-10-2010, 01:55 PM
The official claim has been that he tweaked it during batting practice the next day after that hit. Tracy Jones on WLW has been stoking the idea that the injury occurred during the celebration.

westofyou
09-10-2010, 02:02 PM
The official claim has been that he tweaked it during batting practice the next day after that hit. Tracy Jones on WLW has been stoking the idea that the injury occurred during the celebration.

So folks will call in his show no doubt.

LoganBuck
09-10-2010, 02:13 PM

I wouldn't say that he hasn't been beating people over the head with it, but he has been slipping it into the conversation. Not part of his normal shtick.

Ghosts of 1990
09-10-2010, 02:46 PM

Are you saying that there is no possibility that what Jones is saying could be true?

westofyou
09-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Are you saying that there is no possibility that what Jones is saying could be true?

I'm saying it's barroom talk, which is about as productive as listening to TJ's show.

He's either there or not, no amount of hand wringing or innuendo will change the fact that he's been hurt.

Everything else is Jr High drama IMO.

Ghosts of 1990
09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm saying it's barroom talk, which is about as productive as listening to TJ's show.

He's either there or not, no amount of hand wringing or innuendo will change the fact that he's been hurt.

Everything else is Jr High drama IMO.

Yea you're right on the fact that no matter how he was injured matters little at this point. You can't get the 10 games back that he's missed or choose when he missed them. I guess as long as he only misses one or two more we should count our blessings in the injury regard....

Here's to 32 being back saturday or sunday

medford
09-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Even Baghdad Bob thinks Tracy Jones makes things up.

Kind of like Pokey Reese once said of Jim Bowden, "how do you know he's lying?, when he opens up his mouth" Of course, this may be the exception that prooves the rule, but there are 25+ potential leakes down in that locker room right now, it would have been questioned by more mainstream media by now if it had legs I would think.

traderumor
09-10-2010, 03:40 PM
What I find most interesting is that Bruce is suddenly a main cog in the lineup, whereas he was dead weight in the eyes of many until he hit this little hot streak. Guess that's a function of the impotence of Mr. Heisey as he has filled in. If Heisey was performing, I don't think folks would be caring that much when Jay came back, sort of like dreading Cabrera getting healthy.

Homer Bailey
09-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Wow. Heisey all the way down to .757 OPS. Knew he was struggling, and knew he was going to come down off his original high, but didn't realize he had crashed that far.

bucksfan2
09-10-2010, 03:49 PM
From Lance's website:

Chris Heisey is 7 for 36 (.194) 0 HR, 1 RBI, 0 BB, 12 K in this 9 game stretch.
He's even worse in his last 24 games (August 6)
12 for 71 (.169 BA/.253 OBP/.507 OPS)
0 HR
3 RBI
21 K

Makes me long for Wily Taveras and Corey Patterson.

fearofpopvol1
09-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Bruce is not in the lineup tonight.

traderumor
09-10-2010, 04:32 PM
From Lance's website:

Makes me long for Wily Taveras and Corey Patterson.Heisey is slumping and is probably an average major leaguer, 4th OFer on a good team, starter on a below average team, which has value. Those two are chaff.

HeatherC1212
09-10-2010, 04:34 PM
LHP Malholm is pitching tonight so that may have something to do with it. I also just read on Twitter that he could be back during this series at some point.

@TomGroeschen #reds activated Edmonds, Leake off DL...Bruce said he is better but not available tonite, maybe in next 2 days

@redreporter Even if Bruce was healthy, he probably wouldn't start tonight against Maholm, who destroys lefties (career .582 OPS against LHB) #Reds

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
From Jim Day:

Harang to bullpen, may hold Cabrera out through the weekend, Bruce Sunday at earliest, more like Monday, according to Dusty #reds

http://twitter.com/JimDayTV

Tony Cloninger
09-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I believe it was the celebration.....and Hey but why not...why not get injured after seeing what happened earlier with the Angels. Why not NOT understand the concept of not making a celebration like a gang initiation where you stupidly punch people in jest or jump as high as you can...up an down...and see what happens.

Why be a grumpy old man like me....it's more fun to celebrate good times...come on. :rolleyes:

That and the inability of Walt to want to get DH off the 40 man roster to get another helpful bat....really has ticked me off for the last week.
So if i sound bitter and POD.....then I am sorry but no excuse to lose 4 in a row...the "we only play well late in year" Rockies are not that good. Or maybe this team is just thinking they can coast?

Ghosts of 1990
09-10-2010, 06:59 PM
The way Bruce was swinging the bat before he got hurt it's likely he would have ended up around where a lot of R'zoners predicted him at before the season..... .280, 24 HR, 75-80 RBI.

And I don't think we would have loosened our grip on the NL Central one bit

Raisor
09-10-2010, 07:06 PM
The way Bruce was swinging the bat before he got hurt it's likely he would have ended up around where a lot of R'zoners predicted him at before the season..... .280, 24 HR, 75-80 RBI.

And I don't think we would have loosened our grip on the NL Central one bit

he was so good it would almost make someone name their kid after him.

Mario-Rijo
09-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Heisey is slumping and is probably an average major leaguer, 4th OFer on a good team, starter on a below average team, which has value. Those two are chaff.

Heisey can be a solid starter but he really needs some work on his swing, IMO he's late to the ball alot and has some extra slack in his mechanics he could straighten out to make a world of difference. In a nutshell his hands don't get into hitting position soon enough, that makes a mammoth difference on all pitches but in general makes you late on fastballs and forces you to swing too early and if it's not a fastball he has almost no chance of even making contact. Add to that the fact he could sharpen up his discipline a smidge more as well as his bat control. Those aren't awful but they could use a sharpening. Add it all up and if he gets the right coaching he could be a completely different hitter, and with his speed and pop he's above average.

Mario-Rijo
09-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Heisey can be a solid starter but he really needs some work on his swing, IMO he's late to the ball alot and has some extra slack in his mechanics he could straighten out to make a world of difference. In a nutshell his hands don't get into hitting position soon enough, that makes a mammoth difference on all pitches but in general makes you late on fastballs and forces you to swing too early and if it's not a fastball he has almost no chance of even making contact. Add to that the fact he could sharpen up his discipline a smidge more as well as his bat control. Those aren't awful but they could use a sharpening. Add it all up and if he gets the right coaching he could be a completely different hitter, and with his speed and pop he's above average.

Hmmm, after just looking at him again I don't see what I saw awhile back. Could be fixed or perhaps I didn't see it right in the 1st place. His hands were definitely in position in time against Maholm there. I'll keep watching to see what else is going on.