PDA

View Full Version : Why can't this team finish anyone?

Girevik
09-10-2010, 08:33 AM
I am so sick of watching this team get a 5 or 6 run lead, only to let the other team get back into it and winning by a run or losing the game (AGAIN). Why can't this team put anyone away?

I know there's probably no answer for this, but I had to vent.

gmt
09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
The flow of a season takes upturns and downturns. The truly dominant teams usually don't have extended streaks of downturns. The Reds had been treading on grounds they have not been on in many years. It is only likely that a team can get hot for a period of time but come back down to earth. The key for the players is to not panic. The Cardinals for the past 3 weeks look as if they are panicking. They truly have some good or good enough players to be a contender. So do the Reds. Don't fool yourself in thinking it can't happen to the Reds. The Cardinals have had their fall over the past month. The Padres recently lost 10 in a row. The Braves are struggling. Maybe it was the Reds time to have an adjustment against two teams desperately gunning for the playoffs.

The Reds have 22 games remaining: 13 of which are against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the league (Pirates, Diamondbacks and Brewers). None of those teams should be taken lightly. The Astros have been playing some of the best baseball in the league since the all star break and the Reds have 6 games left against them. It would not be too surprising to see the Reds finish out .500 and wind up with 90 wins. That total may still win the Central division, and that should be fine. The cardinals would need to finish 17 - 7 to match that. Based on their season it does not seem likely that could happen, but as long as there is a magic number remaining, no one should get so confident.

The next 9 game road trip could be a killer if they don't get their act together over the next 7 at home.

Hey Meat
09-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I am so sick of watching this team get a 5 or 6 run lead, only to let the other team get back into it and winning by a run or losing the game (AGAIN). Why can't this team put anyone away?

25 games left. 5 game lead. We'll make it. Injury bug is killing us right now. Can't wait for this homestand.

markedmanner
09-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Been a rough road trip... Just part of baseball. Now we are heading home playing a horrible Pirates team. We will be just fine. :D

New York Red
09-10-2010, 11:57 AM
We just ran into a team that A) already owned us at their place, and B) is now hitting like the '27 Yankees. Our tough stretch is behind us. We'll be ok.

liminal
09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
We just ran into a team that A) already owned us at their place, and B) is now hitting like the '27 Yankees. Our tough stretch is behind us. We'll be ok.

For real--my buddy from West Virginia doesn't really have a team (grew up on the Pirates and Braves, kind of follows the Nats now) has been following the Reds through me lately, and expressed concern about the Reds getting roughed up in Col. I basically explained to him that several of the Rockies big hits were improbable...some of those first inning shots against Cueto for instance. That team has just hit a sick, sick stride.

Vottomatic
09-10-2010, 06:03 PM
We had a bad streak against the Phillies earlier, the Cards all season, the Giants, and now the Rockies where they hit out of their minds. We set records for greatest comebacks by opposing teams all season long.

.....and we're still 5 games up in first place.

Ups and downs. Hot and cold. Injury bug killing us right now.

Let's get healthy and get back to beating the teams we should, and doing a better job against the good teams left on our schedule.

BAKER12
09-11-2010, 12:31 AM
It is honestly not just the Reds. All over baseball this has been a season of teams blowing leads. It stands out more when it is your team, but the Reds are not alone in throwing gas on the fire.