PDA

View Full Version : Time To Panic or Not?

markedmanner
09-10-2010, 10:35 AM
So the reds are home from a 5 game losing streak now. Still up 5 games on the Cards. I hated the tough lose yesterday as much as the next guy. I mean how many games in baseball history have been won on a steal of home? Also was curious Chris Nelsons first career stolen base was home. How many other guys have done that?

Now the Reds are home. They are playing a Pirates team for 3 games who is 14 -53 on the road this year. Not to mention they are 5-39 on the road since May 26th. I don't know how anyone couldn't feel good about this series? I feel confident we will take 2 out of 3 at the very least from them probably a sweep. And I doubt the cards will be able to take 3 out of 4 from the Braves over their four game series. Especially with Westrbrook and Lohse pitching. Then we have the Diamondbacks coming into town who haven't been much better on the road 22-43. I feel confident that that by next Saturday we will still be at the very least 4-5 games up on the Cards if not more.

We are 22-8 against the Astros, Brewers and Pirates and we play them 15 more times. So everyone sit back relax and enjoy the ride. This team is in good shape to make the playoffs....

Another thought the 1990 Reds were 14-15 in September.

Rockermann
09-10-2010, 10:55 AM
If we have a good series against the Pirates (at least 2 of 3), I think I'm comfortable again. However, if we lose this series, as unlikely as it seems, there is reason for serious concern. I think this going to be a very telling weekend.

knoonan991
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Nope, not worried at all.

markedmanner
09-10-2010, 11:01 AM
If we have a good series against the Pirates (at least 2 of 3), I think I'm comfortable again. However, if we lose this series, as unlikely as it seems, there is reason for serious concern. I think this going to be a very telling weekend.

Agreed I will be a bit concerned if we lose the pirates series. Which I dont think it will happen... But even if we do lose this series whos to say the cards will gain any real ground playing the Braves? But I dont think it will come to that anyway.

New York Red
09-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Now the Reds are home. They are playing a Pirates team for 3 games who is 14 -53 on the road this year. Not to mention they are 5-39 on the road since May 26th.
I'm not worried yet. We were rolling before the last road trip, and we just happened to visit two teams who are much more desperate for wins than we are right now, in two very difficult parks to win in. I think we'll pick up where we were before this road trip. And if we can't win at home against the worst road team in the league, we probably don't deserve a playoff spot anyway. What a lot of fans forget, is we have a very young team with virtually no playoff chase experience. I'm sure our guys are feeling the pressure, but I think they'll settle down now that they're back home and the Reds will be fine.

Boston Red
09-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I wasn't concerned at all....until I saw Paul Maholm was going for Pitt tonight. It seems like this guy ALWAYS kills the Reds.

Caveman Techie
09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
They have a 5 game lead with only one more "tough" part left of the schedule. I think they'll be fine.

arkimadee
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
im a reds fan.. i have been given no reason in the last 10 years not to be nervous they won't do this. i realize this team is different but i have scars from the past. give me 5 of 7 on this home stand and ill feel better..

GIDP
09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Get worried when it gets to 3 games.

Captain13
09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm nervous, but far from panic.

UPRedsFan
09-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Rest easy Reds Fans.

If the Reds lay an egg against weaker competition and go 11 -11 the rest of the way. The Cards would have to go 17 - 7 just to tie.

I don't see them going .500 against the opponents they have coming up.

liminal
09-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Agreed I will be a bit concerned if we lose the pirates series. Which I dont think it will happen... But even if we do lose this series whos to say the cards will gain any real ground playing the Braves? But I dont think it will come to that anyway.

I'm in the same boat. No worry yet...but if we don't show up against the Pirates and D-backs, then I'll be very, very worried. Even if the Reds totally collapse, though, as long as we stay within a game or two, we have reason to hope as the Cards play the Rox to end the season.

RedsLvr
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Panic? I still don't see the Reds not getting home field advantage.

AintlifeGrande
09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Nothing that a little home cookin wont fix.

ThornWithin81
09-10-2010, 05:15 PM
We're in good shape. Yesterday's results are a little disheartening but we're fine.

I wrote up a breakdown yesterday covering how things shape up going forward. Obviously the numbers are a bit different with STL's win last night but it doesn't change much: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85539

bshall2105
09-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm so worried I have not slept in the last three nights. I stay up all night thinking about how we have let this season go down the drain. Hey, at least there is always next year.

foxfire123
09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Panic? Not yet. Concerned a bit, yes. and frankly, mad as hell as the Cardinal Richard Cranium fans I have to deal with every day. there is a distinct reason why I hate the Cardinals and their fans, and it gets proven over and over pretty much every time the Reds experience any type of losing streak.

I'll be in a panic if they lose this Pittsburgh series.

foxfire123
09-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Nothing that a little home cookin wont fix.

Yeah, Joey misses his dog and it threw his game off. :D

mlh1981
09-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Yesterday was an extremely frustrating day in baseball, perhaps one of the worst of the season.

A week or so ago, me and others in here were riding an emotional high.

Things change quickly. Today's pain can be tomorrow's redemption.

Most of these guys weren't around for the losing years. They don't give a damn what teams in the past did. The slate is wiped clean, they got to sleep in their own beds, and I think they will be fine.

Vottomatic
09-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Panic? Not yet. Concerned a bit, yes. and frankly, mad as hell as the Cardinal Richard Cranium fans I have to deal with every day. there is a distinct reason why I hate the Cardinals and their fans, and it gets proven over and over pretty much every time the Reds experience any type of losing streak.

I'll be in a panic if they lose this Pittsburgh series.

Me too.

I'd like to pick a game up by sweeping Pitt and the Cards losing a game or two to Hotlanta. I hope they get hot.

Krawhitham
09-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Nope, not worried at all.

This

markedmanner
09-11-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm so worried I have not slept in the last three nights. I stay up all night thinking about how we have let this season go down the drain. Hey, at least there is always next year.

Well hopefully you and others that are worried will feel a bit better now that we got a win. Now we are up 6 games. Wasnt a pretty win but we got it.

markedmanner
09-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Id say its definitely not time to panic. Taken the first 2 from the Pirates. Up 7 games on the cards :)

rolenmvp
09-12-2010, 12:04 AM
nope not even close, up 7 games. now, if we get to 3 games then...I will start to panic, we have a real good chance of going up 8 tomorrow with a win because lohse is pitching against hudson tomorrow.

great time to be a reds fan right now!!

bshall2105
09-12-2010, 12:43 AM
After tonights win and the 7 game lead in the division, I am finally confident that the Reds will get to the playoffs. For the past month I've still been a little nervous about how the season would turn out, but tonight, something just seems right. Go Reds!

liminal
09-12-2010, 01:04 AM
What is it now, if the Reds go 10 and 10 the rest of the way, the Cards have to go 18-4 to tie?

Is that math right?

We're getting to a point here where, as long as the Reds play competent (read: .500) baseball, the Cardinals won't be able to afford to lose at all. Which means it's got to hurt extra bad when they lose games that Carp starts, and have to endure a Lohse or Suppan once every five days.

The post-season isn't a given, this weekend, it's more tangible than its been all year.

I say we clinch no later than September 24 in San Diego. Could be sooner, but I have a feeling the Cards won't get as steamrolled by the Cubs, and I suspect they'll handle San Diego fairly well, and I also think the Astros might give us some trouble.

09-12-2010, 01:13 AM
I think it's time to start focusing on the best record in the league. There really is no dominating team in the NL this year, so it's possible and could be huge if they Reds do make the playoffs.

Vottomatic
09-12-2010, 01:18 AM

Sleep peacefully tonight. :D :p: :thumbup:

mu4103
09-12-2010, 01:39 AM
I was doing some research to see what the worst collapses were in baseball history. The second biggest collapse was the 2007 New York Mets held a 7 game lead on the Phillies on September 12 and lost the NL East race to the Phillies on the final game of the season. Not meaning to put a damper on things and I really don't think we are going to have a collapse like that - but it was a bit funny. 7 games on September 12. But let's rest easy we are safe.

Vottomatic
09-12-2010, 01:42 AM
I was doing some research to see what the worst collapses were in baseball history. The second biggest collapse was the 2007 New York Mets held a 7 game lead on the Phillies on September 12 and lost the NL East race to the Phillies on the final game of the season. Not meaning to put a damper on things and I really don't think we are going to have a collapse like that - but it was a bit funny. 7 games on September 12. But let's rest easy we are safe.

I think the difference was that the Phillies were playing lights out baseball and the Cardinals just can't seem to get it going or keep it going. The Cards haven't played like they wanna win the division since sweeping us in early August. They are built to beat us, and we're built to beat most of the rest of the league.

bagz
09-12-2010, 01:53 AM
I have to admit I was worried before these 2 wins against the Pirates.

PhatHead
09-12-2010, 02:06 AM
I'm not worried about the Reds making the post season, I'm worried about Dusty managing in it and our bullpen pitching the 7th and 8th innings of it. I generally think that Dusty is a good manager but I just don't understand why he pulled Volquez tonight. The kid was lights out and could have probably completed the shutout. At least let him start the 8th inning. You have expanded rosters so you don't have to pinch hit for him when his spot is up. Let him start the 8th and if he starts struggling then double switch.

liminal
09-12-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm kind of glad Dusty pulled Volquez. I'd feel a bit differently had we lost, but it seems like, even had we lost, it would have been better for Volquez to come out after being lights out for 7 innings than potentially collapsing a bit in the 8th. Now he'll be rested from not throwing too much, and be heading into his next start with a high level of confidence. I don't expect to see many starters going past the 6/7 inning from here on out as the management will want to keep arms from over-exertion, while getting one last look at those bullpen arms to figure out who is going to the post-season.

mu4103
09-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Great win by the Reds

mu4103
09-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm kind of glad Dusty pulled Volquez. I'd feel a bit differently had we lost, but it seems like, even had we lost, it would have been better for Volquez to come out after being lights out for 7 innings than potentially collapsing a bit in the 8th. Now he'll be rested from not throwing too much, and be heading into his next start with a high level of confidence. I don't expect to see many starters going past the 6/7 inning from here on out as the management will want to keep arms from over-exertion, while getting one last look at those bullpen arms to figure out who is going to the post-season.

I agree, it also gives the Reds a chance to reexamine their bullpen. Obviously Chapman is lights out and Cordero is fairly reliable (I still think he is a good closer).

ThornWithin81
09-12-2010, 11:12 AM
What is it now, if the Reds go 10 and 10 the rest of the way, the Cards have to go 18-4 to tie?

Is that math right?

19-3 to win the Division outright, 18-4 to tie and anything less loses the division.

Considering that...

A) The Reds will likely win more than 10 games in the last 20 against weak opponents.
B) The Cardinals will likely lose at least five more games with 4 game sets against Colorado and San Diego remaining.

The division is basically clinched barring a huge meltdown from the Reds AND a huge rally from the Cardinals.

markedmanner
09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I think it's time to start focusing on the best record in the league. There really is no dominating team in the NL this year, so it's possible and could be huge if they Reds do make the playoffs.

I agree. Time to stop worrying if we are going to make the playoffs or not. We have it barring major and I mean MAJOR meltdown by the reds. I sure hope we can manage to have the best record in the NL.

Moosie52
09-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm worried, but it would be worse if the Cards were playing well. Cordero is a liability, and he makes so much money they are just going to keep running him out there.

kfm
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM

You are right, Dusty did the right thing. THe guy was at 98 pitches and coming off of TJ surgery. It is simply amazing the type of criticsm Dusty receives from fans. He is both an arm killer of young starters and a guy who pulls his young starters too soon. He is the guy who allegedly caused Volquez's arm problems and now the guy who will not push him hard enough. Can you imagine if Strasburg played for the Reds and needed TJ. The reds could have done all the right things with him and he would be mindlessly be added to the arms Dusty destroys by the haters. No one has said a peep about Jim Rigglemen who btw was the manager of Kerry woods when he first got hurt.

bornready
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
i knew i shouldn't get on here after the game today, but i did...it amazes me that every game results in such an emotional overreaction win or lose. win, and the reds have such a great chance to make noise once the playoffs come around. lose, and the team is going on a terrible tailspin AND the cardinals are going to catch fire and miraculously win the division. i know cordero is awful and we should have swept the lowly pittsburgh pirates, but it happens. after a quick glance at the remaining schedule, i see no way we dont go at least 10-9. i doubt the cards even go .500 the rest of the way with their given schedule, yet alone whatever it is they'd have to go to catch us.

relax, go for a walk or something. losing is never fun, but nobody wins every game they should. its called baseball

markedmanner
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm worried, but it would be worse if the Cards were playing well. Cordero is a liability, and he makes so much money they are just going to keep running him out there.

I agree to an extent. I think next year we should try someone else closing possibly. Bottom line is we will have to deal with Cordero the rest of the year. In defense of Cordero.....up until this weekend we hadnt gave up a run in his last 9 appearances. Though I am sure many of those were tight rope walks. ha

markedmanner
09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
i knew i shouldn't get on here after the game today, but i did...it amazes me that every game results in such an emotional overreaction win or lose. win, and the reds have such a great chance to make noise once the playoffs come around. lose, and the team is going on a terrible tailspin AND the cardinals are going to catch fire and miraculously win the division. i know cordero is awful and we should have swept the lowly pittsburgh pirates, but it happens. after a quick glance at the remaining schedule, i see no way we dont go at least 10-9. i doubt the cards even go .500 the rest of the way with their given schedule, yet alone whatever it is they'd have to go to catch us.

relax, go for a walk or something. losing is never fun, but nobody wins every game they should. its called baseball

I find it funny as well. It seems the second we have a tough loss some people act like we are a last place team or something. ha

kfm
09-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I find it funny as well. It seems the second we have a tough loss some people act like we are a last place team or something. ha

I agree, it is headscratching to read some these post. We have to have the most disgruntled first place fans of any organization. Sometime I need to check to make sure that I am not on the Pittsburgh Pirates fan site.

New York Red
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree, it is headscratching to read some these post. We have to have the most disgruntled first place fans of any organization. Sometime I need to check to make sure that I am not on the Pittsburgh Pirates fan site.
I don't understand it either. There's a few fans on this site who are absolutely brutal towards the Reds' players and coaching staff, especially in the game threads. If you didn't know our record and hadn't seen the standings in a few months you'd think - by reading the opinions of some of our fans - we're a last place team.

Vottomatic
09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
I was at a family gathering today and most of us were watching the Reds game. Not one person wanted to leave Cordero in the game after he allowed 2 runners to get on base. Including my grandma, my tiny nieces, the dog, the cat, everyone in the room knew to take out Cordero.

Unfortunately, the $3M dollar manager of the Reds didn't know it. :rolleyes:

markedmanner
09-12-2010, 05:33 PM
I was at a family gathering today and most of us were watching the Reds game. Not one person wanted to leave Cordero in the game after he allowed 2 runners to get on base. Including my grandma, my tiny nieces, the dog, the cat, everyone in the room knew to take out Cordero.

Unfortunately, the $3M dollar manager of the Reds didn't know it. :rolleyes:

Agreed NO manager is going to make the right choice 100% of the time though. But Dusty has made more right than wrong for us to be in first place :thumbup:

I sometimes think you are just kidding about some of the things you are saying vottomatic. ha. But I dont know. ha

Vottomatic
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Agreed NO manager is going to make the right choice 100% of the time though. But Dusty has made more right than wrong for us to be in first place :thumbup:

I sometimes think you are just kidding about some of the things you are saying vottomatic. ha. But I dont know. ha

After 2 runners got on with no outs, we all started yelling "get Cordero out of there!"........next thing you know the cat starts meowing and the dog starts barking............they too were in agreement! :D

liminal
09-12-2010, 06:53 PM
. Including my grandma, my tiny nieces, the dog, the cat, everyone in the room knew to take out Cordero.

What's funny about this is that one of our cats was actually yaking up a hairball once the Pirates had two men on.

I thought she was sick, but after reading your post, it was probably a commentary on Cordero. It did sound like choking, afterall.

But, tomorrow's another day.

PhatHead
09-12-2010, 07:37 PM

The thing that gets me is HOW we lost today and could have easily lost Fri and Sat. We had 3 super quality starts from our rotation and yet not one of them got a decision. That doesn't worry you?

markedmanner
09-12-2010, 08:01 PM
The thing that gets me is HOW we lost today and could have easily lost Fri and Sat. We had 3 super quality starts from our rotation and yet not one of them got a decision. That doesn't worry you?

Worried about what? Us making the playoffs? No. Why? Because the cards are not showing they will be a threat to us. At the end of the day today we will more than likely still be 7 games up. And the first post I made in this thread still stands. By this coming Saturday we will still be at least 4 or 5 games up if not more. So I am not worried about making the playoffs. Am I concerned about the playoffs and our offense and our bullpen? Sure. But who knows our bats could catch fire and Cordero could do good like he did when he saved 18 out of 19 games in a row.

PhatHead
09-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Worried about what? Us making the playoffs? No. Why? Because the cards are not showing they will be a threat to us. At the end of the day today we will more than likely still be 7 games up. And the first post I made in this thread still stands. By this coming Saturday we will still be at least 4 or 5 games up if not more. So I am not worried about making the playoffs. Am I concerned about the playoffs and our offense and our bullpen? Sure. But who knows our bats could catch fire and Cordero could do good like he did when he saved 18 out of 19 games in a row.

I'm not worried about missing the playoffs, but I am worried about getting swept in the first round and hearing the "I told you so"..... "The Reds don't deserve to be here"

GIDP
09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm not worried about missing the playoffs, but I am worried about getting swept in the first round and hearing the "I told you so"..... "The Reds don't deserve to be here"

Well stop worrying because they will say it even if they get swept in the WS.

will5979
09-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Well stop worrying because they will say it even if they get swept in the WS.

Exactly, and you can easily shut them up by saying it doesn't matter because they made it and your team was home channel surfing, doesn't matter how they make it, as long as they do.

markedmanner
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Bottom line if a team makes it to the playoffs they have a chance. Every playoff team has there problems and worries. Who is saying the reds don't deserve to be in the playoffs? The only one who I know is that idiot Colin on ESPN radio. Who cares what he says. I haven't heard anyone else say that.

GIDP
09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Reds will likely have the best offense in the NL going into the playoffs. Of course they can quote that the rotation doesnt have a Cy Young canidate but they do have a handful of mid 3 ERA starters and a pretty dominate bullpen as long as Cordero is going good.

We can split the pros and cons of every team, Reds have their strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else.

Captain13
09-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Reds will likely have the best offense in the NL going into the playoffs. Of course they can quote that the rotation doesnt have a Cy Young canidate but they do have a handful of mid 3 ERA starters and a pretty dominate bullpen as long as Cordero is going good.

We can split the pros and cons of every team, Reds have their strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else.

There isn't a team in the NL the Reds can't beat. First things first. One, clinch a playoff birth. Two, get homefield. Three, win in the NLDS. Four, win the pennant. Five, beat the AL's tail in the WS. Six, party on Fountain Square. :beerme:

markedmanner
09-13-2010, 11:32 AM
There isn't a team in the NL the Reds can't beat. First things first. One, clinch a playoff birth. Two, get homefield. Three, win in the NLDS. Four, win the pennant. Five, beat the AL's tail in the WS. Six, party on Fountain Square. :beerme:

Hopefully that is what happens :thumbup: