PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds, Leake Activated; Volquez to start Saturday

reds44
09-10-2010, 05:12 PM
m_sheldon Volquez to start Saturday for #reds. Edmonds, Leake activated from DL. More later on reds.com

Homer Bailey
09-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Thank God it's not Harang. Please just throw strikes EV.

corkedbat
09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
If Edmunds is well enough to contribute and Jay comes back it would be huge.

This team really needs to stop the bleeding and do some business against the Bucs and D-Backs

Joseph
09-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I thought less than a week ago Edmonds thought he was done for the year.

Brutus
09-10-2010, 05:27 PM
The Calvary is arriving!

Brutus
09-10-2010, 05:28 PM

He never said that. That was other people assuming it.

oneupper
09-10-2010, 05:29 PM

He may well be. The fact he has been activated doesn't mean he's good to play.
Roster spots are available at this time of year.

redsmetz
09-10-2010, 05:31 PM

They're prepping for this moment:

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2008/10/06/gibsonx.jpg

guttle11
09-10-2010, 05:31 PM

If he wasn't going to play the Reds would probably put him on the 60 day DL and bring up a warm body OFer.

mdccclxix
09-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Good, I was beginning to wonder if they weren't holding off putting Edmonds on the 60 day just because they wanted his veteran presence in the playoffs (which we're not in yet!!!).

I hope he can help.

As for Volquez, I'd like to see a sharper attitude along with sharper command. This game will embarrass you if you don't respect it. See his last start for reference.

Red in Chicago
09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Thank God it's not Harang. Please just throw strikes EV.

Since I'm going to be at the game, I immediately thought the same thing

Mario-Rijo
09-10-2010, 07:25 PM
He never said that. That was other people assuming it.

I don't recall the exact quote but I do recall him intimating the possibility, at the very least he didn't sound very optimistic himself about it.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I highly doubt Edmonds healed that quickly. What I think happened is he had his mind set on retiring after this season and is willing to play through the pain since he'll have all the time in the world to heal after the season ends.

RedsManRick
09-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I highly doubt Edmonds healed that quickly. What I think happened is he had his mind set on retiring after this season and is willing to play through the pain since he'll have all the time in the world to heal after the season ends.

That was my take as well. I don't think we'll see him in the field much, if at all.

klw
09-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Well per Fay Edmonds is surprised that he was activated and Leake won't be pitching.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/09/10/volquez-to-pitch-saturday-leake-edmonds-return/

Then again, don’t expect immediate production from Edmonds. Edmonds told reporters that he was a bit surprised to be activated, having not resumed full baseball activities.

Edmonds mostly has been hitting off a tee, Baker said.

Said Jocketty: “If he can do something he’ll do it. If not, he won’t. He tried hitting a little bit today. There’s no reason to keep him on the disabled list. He still might, in a day or two, whether it’s today or sometime this weekend, he might be able to do something.”

* Leake will not pitch for now, Baker said. What will Leake do, then?

“Pinch run, pinch hit, pinch bunt,” Baker said. “I didn’t mention pitching, on purpose. … He claims he can play outfield too. Now that’s a real emergency.”

Also said that Nix still can't run.

Tornon
09-11-2010, 04:14 AM
"He claims he can play the outfield too"

Something about the way Dusty worded that made me chuckle

camisadelgolf
09-12-2010, 12:36 AM
I would have rather seen Leake pinch run tonight than Valaika just in the event of another drawn-out, extra-inning game. I can't really complain about the end result, though. :dancingco