PDA

View Full Version : Sweet sassy molassy

RFS62
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Hearing George Grande again tonight makes me think that he's a lot like molassas. Super sugary and way too sweet for every day consumption.

But if you get it in moderation, it can be great.

I've missed hearing his genuine approach.

Yes, it gets old if you have to hear it night after night. But every now and then, it's kind of nice.

Chip R
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Well, we sure do need another announcer. ;)

RFS, is Grande better than Graham MacNamee?

VR
09-11-2010, 10:30 PM
His homerun call was great. Even better.....was it was immediately followed by silence on his part.....letting the viewers soak in the celebration. Very well done.....and great point 62....moderation is a good thing.

Big Klu
09-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I was as hard on George over the years as anyone, but it sure was good to hear him tonight. I think that it was the years of losing--and not GG--that irritated us.

Hopefully he will do a few more games.

BearcatShane
09-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I think that it was the years of losing--and not GG--that irritated us.

Bingo.

sabometrics
09-11-2010, 10:38 PM
It was cool to have that kind of a call for him. I only caught the last half inning on the tube after getting back from the stadium, but he was enjoyable to say the least. Not many announcers can screw up that moment for me though :)

Edskin
09-11-2010, 10:59 PM

I thought the exact same thing tonight. I've criticized Grande over the years, but I do view him as "one of us" and I was really glad he got to experience this season, even if only for one night.

gm
09-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Mute button

Sorry, but I don't miss Georgie. Not even a little

Votto's inside out HRs to LF remind me of Edmonds, back in the day

cumberlandreds
09-11-2010, 11:26 PM
It was great hearing Grande again. IMO, he's much better than either of the Reds regular TV PBP announcers,Keels and Thom B. He just has much more fluid approach. Sure he can be cliche ridden and maybe at times a little too optimistic and rosy. But I will take that anytime over the other two.

Ron Madden
09-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I thought George Grande did a great job tonight. I've always liked him, wish he could do more games than they have him scheduled for. :thumbup:

MWM
09-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I had the same thought during the game. I never loved listening to him, but he didn't bother me much either. I'd trade him for the the younger Brenneman any day.

Eric_the_Red
09-12-2010, 08:20 AM
I think the Reds brought in Paul Keels so we would miss George Grande.

Always Red
09-12-2010, 08:29 AM
GG's call on the Votto HR was outstanding.

In the Reds vast stable of announcers, only Marty can do that better; and Marty is phenomenal at that.

GG was here for a lot of losing years- I'm glad that he is going to be able to be around a Reds winner for a few weeks. It was sure good to hear him last night, and it was obvious that he was happy to be there, and happy for the Redlegs.

nate
09-12-2010, 09:05 AM
I said this in the game thread but I thought last night was the best announced game of the season.

The HR call was epic. Well done, George!

OldRightHander
09-12-2010, 09:28 AM
It was cool to have that kind of a call for him. I only caught the last half inning on the tube after getting back from the stadium, but he was enjoyable to say the least. Not many announcers can screw up that moment for me though :)

Some of us were still there when he hit it. :mooner:

Redsfaithful
09-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I love George Grande. What's funny is I watched the game for an inning or two before it even registered that Grande was calling the game. Just felt normal I guess.

Redsfan320
09-12-2010, 11:34 AM
What's funny is I watched the game for an inning or two before it even registered that Grande was calling the game. Just felt normal I guess.

I know! I didn't have your experience, because I knew good and well before hand that he was gonna be calling it, but it does sound so...normal.

dsmith421
09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I love George Grande. What's funny is I watched the game for an inning or two before it even registered that Grande was calling the game. Just felt normal I guess.

I found it cathartic that George -- who registers for me as the voice of the Lost Decade through no fault of his own -- called the 81st win and officially killed the LD dead.

Unassisted
09-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I found it cathartic that George -- who registers for me as the voice of the Lost Decade through no fault of his own -- called the 81st win
I agree that it is good that George had the opportunity to call a win. :thumbup:

11larkin11
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Anyone have a link to GG's call?

BCubb2003
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Anyone have a link to GG's call?

It's at MLB.com in the story about the game.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100911&content_id=14551832&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Big Klu
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
It's gonna beeeeeeeeeeeeee gone! :)

Jpup
09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm glad you guys enjoyed him.

Big Klu
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm glad you guys enjoyed him.

Sure as heck beats Paul Keels (a.k.a., "Shameless shill for Ohio State Athletics").

Jpup
09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Sure as heck beats Paul Keels (a.k.a., "Shameless shill for Ohio State Athletics").

I agree with that.

OnBaseMachine
09-12-2010, 10:29 PM
I was at the game last night so I didn't get to hear him, but I just listened to his call of Votto's walk-off HR, and it was amazing. I miss George. I'm looking forward to listening to him call some more games in the coming weeks.

sivman17
09-13-2010, 12:13 AM
I think I agree with some previous posters in that it was nice to listen to him, especially because we are winning. The biggest knock I always had on him was that he was always too cheery even when the Reds were losing every season. I realize it's his job to be somewhat impartial, but it was very annoying. Even last night he tried turning the failed sac bunt into a positive but Welsh quickly shot him down.

He did have a great call on Votto's HR and I went back on MLB.tv and re-watched a few times.

Caveat Emperor
09-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Incidentally, on the subject of announcers, the 2010 Reds almost certainly have set a modern record for most broadcast booth combos on TV and Radio. By my count, in just the past year, we've had:

Marty Brennaman & Jeff Brantley (radio)
Marty & Jim Kelch (radio)
Marty & Chris Welsh (radio)
Marty & Thom Brennaman (radio)
Jim & Jeff (radio)
Jim & Kent Mercker (radio)
Jim & Chris (TV)
Thom & Jeff (TV)
Thom & Chris (TV)
Paul Keels & Jeff (TV)
Paul & Chris (TV)
Chris & Jeff (TV)
George Grande & Chris (TV)

It's almost like they pick out of a hat every day to see who has to call the game.

lollipopcurve
09-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Grande loves baseball and the people who populate the game. Works for me.

pedro
09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Anybody catch Mercker yesterday? I thought he and Jim Kelch were a pretty good combo.

Unassisted
09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
It's almost like they pick out of a hat every day to see who has to call the game.
And yet Jim Day, the guy who is probably hungrier than anyone on that list to do PBP, never seems to get his name picked.

camisadelgolf
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM
And yet Jim Day, the guy who is probably hungrier than anyone on that list to do PBP, never seems to get his name picked.
Thank god.

pedro
09-13-2010, 01:25 PM

From listening to brantley I'm not sure anyone is hungrier for anything than he is. Particularly, it seems , for ice cream from UDF.

durl
09-14-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm fine with George. While I don't believe he's the best in the field, he always gives the impression that he enjoys being at the ballpark and watching the game...I like that.

Unassisted
09-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Thank god.Why? Have you ever heard Jim Day do PBP? I have. He'd do just fine.

camisadelgolf
09-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Why? Have you ever heard Jim Day do PBP? I have. He'd do just fine.
I have, and I remember thinking, "I expected him to be a lot worse than this. He's still not very good at it, though."

When my friends from out of town come in and watch a Reds game on TV with me, I am embarrassed at how horrible Day is at his job. My friends laugh at him every time--and not for the reasons Jim Day intends. He seems very friendly, and he's probably a very nice guy, but he simply doesn't have the mental capacity to be insightful, which I find very important in baseball analysis.

Chip R
09-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Anybody catch Mercker yesterday? I thought he and Jim Kelch were a pretty good combo.

I caught a little bit of it and he sounded good.