PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Special?

Kc61
09-12-2010, 01:53 AM
i wouldn't be surprised to see Dusty rest one or two of his top starting players tomorrow. Votto is a candidate with a lefty pitching. Rolen, Cabrera are also candidates. Phillips probably could use a day to rest that hand.

Reds don't have many off days coming up, and some of these guys need a rest.

I know the Reds have injuries and a short bench, but they have now won this series against the Bucs. And it is Sunday.

WVRedsFan
09-12-2010, 02:17 AM
IMHO, you have to keep the pressure on St Louis, so there shouldn't be a Sunday Special, but you and I both know there will be. The Cards will win tomorrow because that's the way they operate. Albert will play (he always does) so why should be sit Votto or Rolen? Maybe that's the wise thing to do, but the Reds need to end this thing as quickly as possible and to do that, they need to play their best players until this thing is over. It won't happen, but there is time for rest when the Reds have finally won the division--not now.

Cedric
09-12-2010, 02:34 AM
IMHO, you have to keep the pressure on St Louis, so there shouldn't be a Sunday Special, but you and I both know there will be. The Cards will win tomorrow because that's the way they operate. Albert will play (he always does) so why should be sit Votto or Rolen? Maybe that's the wise thing to do, but the Reds need to end this thing as quickly as possible and to do that, they need to play their best players until this thing is over. It won't happen, but there is time for rest when the Reds have finally won the division--not now.

Why are you sure the Cardinals will beat the Braves/Tim Hudson with Lohse pitching?

I'm really confused.

WebScorpion
09-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Talk about pessimism...the Cards are sending Kyle Lohse against Tim Hudson in Atlanta and you think it's a certainty that they'll win?? :confused: I think it will be a minor miracle if they even make it close. The Reds are sending Cueto up against the lefty Burres, and yes, they'll probably rest some guys who need it. That doesn't mean they'll lose, they'll just need a spark from some different heroes. I think the depth on this team is its strength, we should use it. Play ball! :thumbup:

Phhhl
09-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Why are you sure the Cardinals will beat the Braves/Tim Hudson with Lohse pitching?

I'm really confused.

Because you always want to make your assumptions or place your bets after considering the worst case scenario. As a reference point, it is one of the greatest inventions of modern man.

Reds Freak
09-12-2010, 02:46 AM
If it were me, I'd be running a big-time Sunday special out there especially against the Pirates. Of course, you can't do much with the outfield. A lot of these guys need a rest. My lineup would be...

Valaiaka - 4
Heisey - 7
Alonso - 3
Francisco - 5
Stubbs - 8
Cairo - 9
Janish - 6
Miller - 2
Cueto - 1

How's that one for you?

Edskin
09-12-2010, 05:56 AM
A Sunday Special makes sense to me from a strategic standpoint not only to give guys some rest, but because I like the idea of involving as many guys in this as possible. The more guys on the bench that feel invested in this run the better...

However, I do not rest Votto until we officially clinch---our leader needs to lead. My hope is that we clinch with about a week left because I'd like to see Rolen get a week off or so before the post-season begins....he looks totally worn out to me...his power has vanished.

red-in-la
09-12-2010, 06:10 AM
If it were me, I'd be running a big-time Sunday special out there especially against the Pirates. Of course, you can't do much with the outfield. A lot of these guys need a rest. My lineup would be...

Valaiaka - 4
Heisey - 7
Alonso - 3
Francisco - 5
Stubbs - 8
Cairo - 9
Janish - 6
Miller - 2
Cueto - 1

How's that one for you?

If you are going to start Heisey, why would you let Cairo play RF? I also don't think Hanigan needs the rest. So I like your line up except I would put Heisey in RF and I would start Hanigan and Gomes in their usual positions.

In terms of batting order, I would have Heisey lead off and have Valaika hit second:

Heisey - 9
Valaika - 4
Alonso - 3
Francisco - 5
Stubbs - 8
Gomes - 7
Hanigan - 2
Janish - 6
Cueto - 1

The Operator
09-12-2010, 06:56 AM
However, I do not rest Votto until we officially clinch---our leader needs to lead. My hope is that we clinch with about a week left because I'd like to see Rolen get a week off or so before the post-season begins....he looks totally worn out to me...his power has vanished.
Yes, Rolen definitely needs a rest. I wonder if his shoulder is secretly hurting him again. He's still hitting for average, but the power is completely gone. 2 homers since the break. Nevertheless, he's the stabilizing, calming force on this team and when/if The Reds make the playoffs, we want him rested and ready. But they need to keep him in there, if nothing else, for his D until the division is wrapped up. I'm sure he won't be playing today, though. He usually gets the day game after the night game off, which is good.