PDA

View Full Version : Why pay For a seat...

OldRightHander
09-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Why pay for a seat if you're not going to use it? I hate to harp on things, but last night was a prime example of one of my biggest pet peeves, people who pay good money for a ticket and never stay in their seats, or more precisely people who keep getting up and walking up and down during gameplay. If you must make multiple trips to the concession stand and/or restroom, wouldn't it be a common courtesy to wait until between innings to walk up and down and not block the view of the fans who actually want to watch the game?

Last night we had the misfortune to be seated on an aisle and there was a steady stream of people going up and down the entire game, right in our view. These folks would get up right during an inning, including some of the key situations late in the game with runners on base. I almost missed Heisey's 9th inning double last night because some people decided to get up and walk down the aisle right as he was coming up to the plate.

I can't remember which park it was because I go to a lot of them on the road, but last year I was at a game where the ushers would hold everyone at the top of the steps until the inning ended and they had announcements before the game telling people to only get up between innings. Does anyone else think the Reds should do something similar? Just make an announcement before the game that fans should refrain from moving around during gameplay and have the ushers hold people at the top of the steps until the inning is over when they're returning from the concession stand or the restroom. I don't get to attend many home games and when I do I want to watch the game, not the backs of the heads of all the people who keep walking up and down in front of my view while the game is going on.

oneupper
09-12-2010, 09:59 AM
They do that here in Miami. Hold people at the top of the stairs until the inning is over.

But it doesn't matter much because few people are at the games anyway.

deltachi8
09-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I hear ya, ORH. It drives me nuts at baseball games, maybe because I got use to going to Hockey games where the ushers hold all people until a break in play (and if you get up during play to walk out, people are not happy and let you know.)

TheNext44
09-12-2010, 10:13 AM
You would hate it here in LA.

No one shows up until the third inning, they talk to each other or on their cells the whole game, and leave by the seventh. Except for the upper level or bleacher seats, which are the sections I prefer to sit in. That's where the true fans sit, the ones that can name more than two players on the Dodgers or where they are in the standings.

Johnny Footstool
09-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I would be against any draconian "Stay in Your Seat" policy at MLB games, and I'll bet most teams would be against it, too. People who get up tend to go spend money at the concession stands. Plus I have young sons who need to potty at inopportune moments.

PuffyPig
09-12-2010, 11:48 AM
At hockey games in Calagry, people aren't allowed to return to their seats while the play is going on. Ushers prevent them.

Becuse of the large number of stoppages in play, few ever leave thier seats until there is a whistle. It's not that big a deal in hockey.

dougdirt
09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Because you can't get into the game without doing it?

As for ushers stopping you from getting to your seat until in between innings.... that only lasts long enough until someone fights it. I promise you that would never work against me. First of all, its ridiculous. I paid for my seat and now you aren't going to let me go to it because I had to go to the bathroom or needed to eat? Nope, that isn't going to work.

Sure, its annoying to have to get up and down for other people, but suck it up. You aren't the only one at the game and unless you want to get a suite, you don't get that privilege either. You aren't more important than the other people in your row/section.

westofyou
09-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Sure, its annoying to have to get up and down for other people, but suck it up. You aren't the only one at the game and unless you want to get a suite, you don't get that privilege either. You aren't more important than the other people in your row/section.

This.

I like to have choice, I've stayed in my seat the whole game, I've come and left, I've never made it there.

But it's mine, I paid for it, this ain't the opera.

Or Russia.

Get off my lawn

Dom Heffner
09-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I think the sun shouldn't shine so brightly at times LOL...

Unassisted
09-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Not everyone goes to a baseball game to watch a baseball game. Many of them are there because they: a) want to spend time with someone who wanted to go to the game and/or b) like the food/people-watching/souvenir/bragging/travel/etc. opportunities that attending the game presents. Surely most of us have attended a game with someone who was there for those reasons.

The Reds need as many fans they can attract to be clicking those turnstiles to make the budget balance. We should be grateful for every ticket that is sold.

Roy Tucker
09-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I understand you pay for your seat and kids need to go to the potty and all that. I've taken my kids to the ballpark when they were little and I know how hard it is to keep order and some semblenace of fun. Stuff happens and we're all imperfect carbon-based units.

But just a little common courtesy would be nice. The flip side of its not your private ballpark is that there are people there who want to watch the game. If you really gotta have a hot dog, can't it wait till a break in the action? Do you really need to talk to someone on your cell phone to talk about what you had for breakfast that day or how you're treating your kids' diarrhea(I heard these conversations at our last game)? I mean, really?

Ballpark crowds have changed about this in the last 10-15 years.

dougdirt
09-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I understand you pay for your seat and kids need to go to the potty and all that. I've taken my kids to the ballpark when they were little and I know how hard it is to keep order and some semblenace of fun. Stuff happens and we're all imperfect carbon-based units.

But just a little common courtesy would be nice. The flip side of its not your private ballpark is that there are people there who want to watch the game. If you really gotta have a hot dog, can't it wait till a break in the action? Do you really need to talk to someone on your cell phone to talk about what you had for breakfast that day or how you're treating your kids' diarrhea(I heard these conversations at our last game)? I mean, really?

Hot dog may be able to wait. But the bathroom cant. The courtesy is me actually getting up and going rather than staying there and going.

RBA
09-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I had seats right on the edge of the upper level in Oakland. I thought they would be perfect with a great view of the field. I didn't expect a steady stream of fans use the front row as a walkway the entire game. I would expect for courteous fans to walk up the stairs and around behind us. Needless to say, my friends started not to move their feet/legs out of the way of the rude fans, which forced them to step over, or sometimes trip a little (but not completely fall).

SandyD
09-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Actually, I've been in a situation similar to what ORH describes, and it's very annoying. An aisle seat with a steady stream of people directly in my view of the field for the entire game. I missed more plays than I saw. Very annoying.

Fans who move around during games can be more considerate and at least try to get up/return between innings, or at least between batters. Not saying be too strict about it, though.

mth123
09-12-2010, 02:26 PM
The OP in this thread is simply asking for some common courtesy. The problem isn't just at the ballpark. Common courtesy just isn't very common these days.

jojo
09-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Please be kind and rewind. Courtesy is contagious!

RBA
09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
The OP in this thread is simply asking for some common courtesy. The problem isn't just at the ballpark. Common courtesy just isn't very common these days.

Compared to what era? I been going to games for over 30 years, nothing has changed. What's your reference point?

TheNext44
09-12-2010, 02:44 PM
There are hundreds of fans that are sitting in front of you in your section, and the walk back to the concession, bathroom area is long and slow. Even if all of them were courteous, and only went back when they really needed to, your view will be blocked more often than not. Not much to do other than make sure you don't sit in those seats again.

I suffered through it once. Once.

deltachi8
09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Choice is a great thing, I agree.

I choose to go to more Hockey games than baseball and this is one of the reasons why.

macro
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
If you really gotta have a hot dog, can't it wait till a break in the action?

At the break in the action, the lines to the concessions and the bathrooms will be at their longest points all night, and perhaps more important, navigating through the hoards of people with my hands full of drinks is made MUCH more difficult when you wait until everyone else has decided to do the same thing. I purposely make my runs while the game is going on for this reason.

I'm sorry I pass in front of people on the way up and down the steps, but I don't ever want to have a pair of $6.25 Cokes knocked out of my hands and onto my shirt if I can help it.

Red in Chicago
09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I was at last night's game, sitting in the Scout seats. We had seats 1 and 2, so we were in the aisle. In front of us, was a mom, dad, grandma and two children under age 2. This was the most annoying family ever. I don't think they actually saw more than three actual plays. They were up and down getting food, taking kids to the bathroom, playing with the kids, etc.

At one point in time, the father, who was sitting in front of me, stood up to talk to some lady who came up to him to talk about his daughter. No problem at first, because it was in between innings. The problem was that even after the inning started, they kept talking.

I let this go on for one batter, but by the time the next batter was up and they were still yapping, I grabbed him by the arm and told him to sit down because he was blocking my view. While he did sit down right away, he never said he was sorry for being so rude. Finally, the woman left and his last words to her were "nice to meet you". Really? Nice to meet you? You just met this woman and you've got that much to say?

As for sitting in the aisle, that's the only place I will sit. I don't mind getting up for others. It can be annoying, but as long as someone says excuse me as they're trying to get in and out, it's ok. For those that don't say excuse me, well, the second time they come out, I don't make much of an effort to move.

Johnny Footstool
09-13-2010, 05:14 AM

People seem to have changed. More "me" focused, less concerned about being courteous.

OldRightHander
09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I think another issue at play in that particular game was the pre-game ceremony with Pete. When you have things like that, you have some of the casual type fans who come for that reason, or who will show up for Opening Day every year and not go to other games during the season. You have to show up for whatever promotion is being offered or whatever ceremony is going on before the game, but the interest in the game on the field is marginal at best. I see a lot of that sort of thing on Opening Day as well, or a bobblehead game, etc.

BoydsOfSummer
09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I am always amazed at the amount of people that couldn't care less that there is a game going on.

membengal
09-14-2010, 06:40 AM
My kids are now 9 and 15, but we did the ballgame thing when they were babies. And you CAN be at ballgames with young'uns and not ruin the experience for those around you by being up and down all game. For one thing, a little planning ahead gets you seats on the end of a row. For another, if the kids are up and active, wide concourses give you a good view of the action without having to constantly be crawling over spectators.

At any rate, part of the problem is that too many people at games are not there to see the game and forget that others might be.