PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Arroyo’s Leg Kick Reaches Back to ’86

Red Forman
09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
[color=darkred]
Per New York Times.....

Arroyo’s Leg Kick Reaches Back to ’86

As the Mets play out the schedule of another forgettable season, their younger fans might not realize just how dynamic, and influential, their team was in the mid-1980s. For proof, they can look at three stars of today.

The Detroit Tigers’ Johnny Damon wears No. 18 because Darryl Strawberry wore it for the Mets. The Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez wears white spikes in every All-Star Game because Keith Hernandez and other Mets did so in their day. And the pitcher with one of the most unusual deliveries in baseball, Bronson Arroyo of the Cincinnati Reds, said he learned his signature leg kick by trying to imitate Dwight Gooden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/sports/baseball/12bases.html?ref=sports

bagz
09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I also read the article today. Never realized he learned the leg kick from Doc Gooden.

09-12-2010, 07:36 PM
You know, when I watch Bronson Arroyo pitch, I always feel like I'm watching Dwight Gooden. They are so similar it's scary. :cool:

Captain13
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
You know, when I watch Bronson Arroyo pitch, I always feel like I'm watching Dwight Gooden. They are so similar it's scary. :cool:

LOL. Funniest thing I've read today. It must be how much Bronson's fastball resembles Doc's change. Or maybe it's the flowing blond locks?