PDA

View Full Version : First Reds' game; Box Score project

Brutus
09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
I thought it would be kind of cool to see everyone detail memories about their first Reds' game (at least the first one you can remember), as well as a link to the box score.

You can retrieve the box score by clicking the following Baseball Reference link, which will take you to this year's schedule.

Cincinnati Reds 2010 Schedule (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2010-schedule-scores.shtml)

Up in the URL bar (where you type the internet address), simply change the year to the year of the game you remember and refresh the page. If you know the exact date, finding the box score will be a breeze. Even if you don't, as long as you remember the opponent and time of the year it was played, you should be able to find it. Once you find the correct box, simply link it with your memories!

-----------------------------------------------------------

My first game (the one I can remember as my father told me I was at a game in 1984) was Friday, August 3, 1990. Reds lost 3-2 to the Padres.

Friday, August 3, 1990 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199008030.shtml)

The Reds tied a 2-1 game up in the bottom of the 8th with a Sabo homer. I was 10 years old and my family was sitting on the third base side down near the corner of the left field line and fence in Riverfront.

Unfortunately, San Diego scored a run in the top of the 9th and the Reds had a missed sac bunt and double play in the bottom of the inning. Game over.

The Sabo homer was exciting. I remember hoping I would get to see a home run that game. Spuds delivered.

We lived up North of Columbus, so I didn't get to make it to too many games those days. We went back the next year, then I saw a few in 1994 before the strike. Once I got my driver's license, I started going down a few times a year with friends.

Hope to hear more of your memories, accompanied with the box scores!

The Operator
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I know this wasn't my first game, my dad says I saw Rijo pitch once; but, this is the first game I remember.

Saturday, August 19, 2000 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200008190.shtml)

I wasn't the biggest baseball fan growing up, but I was a Reds fan. The 1999 season and the The Griffey trade sucked me in though, as a junior higher. I kept on my dad and we made it to this game, and a guy gave us free tickets because he had an emergency and had to leave. It was literally "You guys have tickets?" "Not yet." "Here you go..." and before we could thank him, he was gone.

I remember seeing Bronson Arroyo warm up in The Pirates pen, and thinking "..who's that no-name guy?" Then when he showed up with cornrows in the playoffs for Boston I had an "ahh, that's who" moment.

Steve Parris won the second of what would seven straight decisions. After starting 5-14, he ran it up 12-14 and had a shot 15-14 but dropped his last three starts to go 12-17. The Reds then traded him to Toronto for the immortal Leo Estrella, among others.

Brutus
09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I know this wasn't my first game, my dad says I saw Rijo pitch once; but, this is the first game I remember.

Saturday, August 19, 2000 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200008190.shtml)

I wasn't the biggest baseball fan growing up, but I was a Reds fan. The 1999 season and the The Griffey trade sucked me in though, as a junior higher. I kept on my dad and we made it to this game, and a guy gave us free tickets because he had an emergency and had to leave. It was literally "You guys have tickets?" "Not yet." "Here you go..." and before we could thank him, he was gone.

I remember seeing Bronson Arroyo warm up in The Pirates pen, and thinking "..who's that no-name guy?" Then when he showed up with cornrows in the playoffs for Boston I had an "ahh, that's who" moment.

Steve Parris won the second of what would seven straight decisions. After starting 5-14, he ran it up 12-14 and had a shot 15-14 but dropped his last three starts to go 12-17. The Reds then traded him to Toronto for the immortal Leo Estrella, among others.

That was a powerful infield that day if I ever saw one: Casey-Sexton-Castro-Stynes. That's worse than a Bobboone Sunday Special.

The Operator
09-12-2010, 06:46 PM
That was a powerful infield that day if I ever saw one: Casey-Sexton-Castro-Stynes. That's worse than a Bobboone Sunday Special.
And Brian Hunter lead off! :eek: Yet somehow they cashed in 7 runs.

Joseph
09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
June 22 1995, Reds vs Braves (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199506220.shtml)

Game looked ugle to start with then the Reds began to kick things up and smacked around Avery and then Wohlers.

I remember an awesome Reg-gie, Reg-gie chant during the AB when he hit the homer. It was a really fun game.

Redsfan320
09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
I was at 1 at Riverfront when I was about 4, and one at GABP when I was about 7, but the first one I remember was the first one we went to when I really started giving a crap about the Reds. Cueto vs. Chad Billingsley and the Dodgers, a 3-1 loss, my dad was ticked 'cause some famous guy named "Junior" wasn't in the lineup, some new kid named "Bruce" was in RF instead:

June 17, 2008 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200806170.shtml)

mth123
09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
May 2, 1965

I was really young and don't remember much more than sitting in the bleachers at Crosley Field with my dad and older brothers. I didn't comprehend much but I remember a Red's player hitting a HR that I later learned was Art Shamsky. Years later I found out it was the first of his career. The only other thing I remember was that it took a long time which I also later discovered was because it was a DH. I was pretty young.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196505021.shtml

Always Red
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196805120.shtml

May 12, 1968

This might be the first game that I can remember actually attending.

It was a day game; it was very close to my birthday, and I went with my dad and grandpa (good memories even now, and God rest their souls). I remember very clearly Alex Johnson being in LF- this was how I learned my left from my right when I was young- Alex Johnson was left, and Pete Rose was right.

Also, I remember Willie Mays hit a HR. My father was a huge Willie Mays fan, and told me to pay special attention to this man, because he was the best- and he pointed out Willie Mays. Looking back now, I see that Willie was at the end of his career, and the late 60's were not as kind to him. I also remember Ted Abernathy, and his very weird way of throwing a baseball- it was the first time I had seen anyone throw submarine style.

I had been to games before that at Crosley that I do not remember- many of us did with our moms or dads before the age of memory. When I think back on Crosley, mostly I remember a short drive to get there (my grandfather lived on the other side of Bald Knob in Fairmount - you could climb up Bald Knob from his house- a very short climb- and see the whole Mill Creek Valley, including majestic Crosley Field, laid out right in front of you).

I remember parking behind the left field fence in a huge open lot, and then walking in the LF entrance down the 3B concourse, and seeing the brilliant green grass, under the lights, contrasting the drab neighborhood around. I remember seats that had obstructed views- poles in the way. I remember begging autographs on the 3B side, where a tunnel came out near the Reds dugout, and the players came out from there on their way to the field. I also remember the smell of cigars everywhere- Ibolds were advertised heavily.

mth123
09-12-2010, 08:00 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196805120.shtml

May 12, 1968

This might be the first game that I can remember actually attending.

It was a day game; it was very close to my birthday, and I went with my dad and grandpa (good memories even now, and God rest their souls). I remember very clearly Alex Johnson being in LF- this was how I learned my left from my right when I was young- Alex Johnson was left, and Pete Rose was right.

Also, I remember Willie Mays hit a HR. My father was a huge Willie Mays fan, and told me to pay special attention to this man, because he was the best- and he pointed out Willie Mays. Looking back now, I see that Willie was at the end of his career, and the late 60's were not as kind to him. I also remember Ted Abernathy, and his very weird way of throwing a baseball- it was the first time I had seen anyone throw submarine style.

I had been to games before that at Crosley that I do not remember- many of us did with our moms or dads before the age of memory. When I think back on Crosley, mostly I remember a short drive to get there (my grandfather lived on the other side of Bald Knob in Fairmount - you could climb up Bald Knob from his house- a very short climb- and see the whole Mill Creek Valley, including majestic Crosley Field, laid out right in front of you).

I remember parking behind the left field fence in a huge open lot, and then walking in the LF entrance down the 3B concourse, and seeing the brilliant green grass, under the lights, contrasting the drab neighborhood around. I remember seats that had obstructed views- poles in the way. I remember begging autographs on the 3B side, where a tunnel came out near the Reds dugout, and the players came out from there on their way to the field. I also remember the smell of cigars everywhere- Ibolds were advertised heavily.

Nice. I vaguely remember the 65 game that I posted, but the 68 season was the first that I actively followed and somewhat understood. I remember a lot of those same things about Crosley. I remember this game where Billy McCool was blown out as the starter of the second game of a Double Header and challenged the booing crowd as he walked down the tunnel next to the Reds dugout on the 3B side. We were sitting in the boxes very near there.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196806092.shtml

Always Red
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Nice. I vaguely remember the 65 game that I posted, but the 68 season was the first that I actively followed and somewhat understood. I remember a lot of those same things about Crosley. I remember this game where Billy McCool was blown out as the starter of the second game of a Double Header and challenged the booing crowd as he walked down the tunnel next to the Reds dugout on the 3B side. We were sitting in the boxes very near there.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196806092.shtml

I really loved those Cardinals teams from back then- the '68 World Series was the first that I remember, and to this day Bob Gibson is my favorite pitcher. Though I have a special place in my heart for Denny McClain and Mickey Lolich! The more I have learned about Curt Flood, the more I admire him and the stance he took back then- well, in 1969 when he refused the trade to Philly, - which was the real start to free agency, along with the Koufax and Drysdale holdouts a few years before that. Flood started out with the Reds- I think he went to the same high school as Vada Pinson (who is another of my old favorites).

I also remember very clearly a game at Crosley that I was at with my Boy Scout Troop. We were sitting in the Sun Deck, I was with my dad, and it was against the Mets. It wasn't exactly a double header, but the first game was a continuation of a suspended game- Ed Kranepool hit a HR right near me in the Sun Deck in the top of whatever inning it was (I was completely mesmerized by how hard and high he hit the ball), and the Reds did not score in the bottom, and the game was over. I remember being confused that the game was over- didn't seem long enough!

30 minutes later, the 2nd game started, and I think the Reds lost that one too. I've scoured through the old scoresheets and can't figure out when that game happened. Could be that the final of the first game was credited to the original date- and that would throw me off.

Thanks for letting me reminisce! :beerme:

BCubb2003
09-12-2010, 08:32 PM
My memory must be faulty because I can't find mine. Vs. the Braves at Riverfront. I remember Henry Aaron and Dave Concepcion both hitting home runs. Braves won something like 7-3.

Reds Fanatic
09-12-2010, 08:33 PM
The first game my parents took me to when I was a kid was this game from May 22, 1978 a 10-0 Reds win over the Braves. I remember we had blue seats behind the third base dugout in Riverfront. I can still remember a close play at the plate where Concepcion scored.

I think I actually attended one earlier game with a scout troop maybe a year before this but we did not get there until late and were way up in the Red seats behind the scoreboard but the first game I got to see the whole game was this game from 1978.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197805220.shtml

Always Red
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I think I actually attended one earlier game with a scout troop maybe a year before this but we did not get there until late and were way up in the Red seats behind the scoreboard but the first game I got to see the whole game was this game from 1978.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197805220.shtml

LOL- I remember getting Straight A seats behind that scoreboard in CF, and sitting there for entire games because the place was so packed.

If you have never been there, you actually had to look down to see the field.

Reds Fanatic
09-12-2010, 08:45 PM
LOL- I remember getting Straight A seats behind that scoreboard in CF, and sitting there for entire games because the place was so packed.

If you have never been there, you actually had to look down to see the field.

I remember I hated heights and the Red seats in Riverfront were so steep as you got toward the top I did not even want to stand up in that section. I also remember how small the players were from the top of the stadium.

That is one thing that has improved so much with GABP the views no matter where you sit are so much better than Riverfront.

redhawkfish
09-12-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't remember the game at all, but my dad says my first game was in '70 or '71 at Riverfront. So I was 4 or 5. He always tells the story that I thought pitchers were the best hitters because who ever was the pitcher hit a homer that day.

Brutus
09-12-2010, 09:43 PM
My memory must be faulty because I can't find mine. Vs. the Braves at Riverfront. I remember Henry Aaron and Dave Concepcion both hitting home runs. Braves won something like 7-3.

I tried giving an assist.

I don't have the full B-Ref Play Index, but I did a search for Concepcion homers against the Braves between 1970-1974 (the concurrent seasons he and Aaron played in those games) at Riverfront, and I did find this game:

April 4, 1974 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197404040.shtml)

The Reds won 7-6 in extra innings, but the Braves were ahead 6-2 into the 8th before the Reds rallied with 4 runs to tie it. And at that point, Concepcion and Aaron both homered.

Is it possible that is your game?

That was only one of two games I found where Concepcion homered and the other one Aaron didn't play in, so if your memory is on the money with at least that aspect, then perhaps that was the game you recall.

Maybe you left early, down 6-2 and didn't realize the rest had happened! lol

MississippiRed
09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I have been a Reds fan since 1968, 42 years or so now, but didn't attend my first Reds game until I went to graduate school at Ohio State in 1985. It was this one:

Baseball Reference Box Score Sept. 27, 1985 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198509270.shtml)

One run on a single, an error and two groundouts until the 8th. Then Dave Parker hit a 3-run HR to put the Reds up 4 to 3 to stay. The primary thing I remember about that AB is Parker setting up that pitcher with a pitiful swing at the outside slider, then hitting the follow-up a ton--just jerking it out of the park.

deltachi8
09-12-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197808060.shtml

August 6, 1978.

I was a thrilled 9 year old when my parents told me we would spend our summer vacation in Cincinnati (we lived in Western NY, near Rochester). I remember staying at the Drawbridge Inn, going to the Zoo, King's Island. eating at Johnny Bench's Home Plate and Pete Rose's place as well.

The highlight for me was the trip to Riverfront to see my beloved Reds. It was family day and the father-son game was played before the tilt with the Padres. It was the first time I would see one Ken Griffey Jr play baseball. (Side note, I would not get to another game at Riverfront until 1995 and it was family day once again, with the father son game.)

All was not happy with me though. We got the classic "Sunday Special" lineup. No Morgan, Bench (my hero at the time) Geronimo or Concepcion. Ugh. All was made right when JB pinch hit and drove in the winning run with a sac fly.

So,e good people at Baseball Reference (I believe) sent me the box score and game recap after I emailed them in 1999. I could not remember the date, but gave them what I knew and they found the game. The printout of that box score and summary is in my safe now.

George Anderson
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM
It was "Team Picture Day" 1977.

Not sure what exact day.

I still got the pic though.

Always Red
09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197808060.shtml

August 6, 1978.

All was not happy with me though. We got the classic "Sunday Special" lineup. No Morgan, Bench (my hero at the time) Geronimo or Concepcion. Ugh. All was made right when JB pinch hit and drove in the winning run with a sac fly.

Great story!

I have to point out though, that Rick Auerbach, Junior Kennedy and Vic Correll combined to go 6-8 in that game- shades of Miguel Cairo and Paul Janish!

cumberlandreds
09-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Here is the first game I attended. I would have to look through the box scores of 1971 for any other specific memory of any earlier games I remember. I'm sure I lisented to many games then and watched whatever was on TV then.
This first game I attended had the Reds playing what would be the 1971 World Champion Pittsburgh Pirates. My hero at the time,Johnny Bench hit a HR and young guy by the name of George Foster had a three run triple. For some reason Clemente didn't play that day. But my favorite non-Red of all time Willie Stargell did play. I remember it being just a thrilling day to finally see the guys I listened to on the radio everyday to finally see play in person.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197108210.shtml

RANDY IN INDY
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196908310.shtml

Drove from Huntington, West Virginia up Rt. 52 with my Dad, my Grandfather, and my Uncle. I can still feel the excitement that I felt that day. I had really fallen in love with the Reds that summer of 1969, and listened to nearly every game on the radio and watched them on WSAZ, channel 3, out of Huntington when they were on. Nearly all the games that were televised were when they were on the road, so I don't know if I ever had seen a game from Crosley Field. I heard Jim McIntyre and Joe Nuxhall describe the terrace and the Sun and Moon deck on the radio and I could only imagine in my mind what the place looked like. I remember walking in the park from behind home plate in the second deck. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and I remember stopping and just looking. My grandfather had to grab my arm and get me to our seats as I was blocking everyone trying to get to theirs. The sound of the crack of the bat, the scoreboard with the clock on top, the smell of hot dogs. It couldn't have been better. And the Reds won, beating Bob Gibson and the Cardinals. Jim Merritt pitched for the Reds and Tony Perez and Johnny Bench homered. I remember not wanting to leave, but I left with a Reds yearbook, a plastic batting helmet, and a baseball. The memory is priceless, as all those that I traveled to the game with have passed away. A wonderful day in the life of an 8 year old boy. So glad that my first game was at Crosley Field.

RANDY IN INDY
09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
One thing that I left out was Pete Rose sliding head first into 3rd base. Pete was my favorite player and to see him hustle around the bases and complete it with his signature head first slide was just about perfect.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
My 1st Reds game was the in-season exhibition against the Tigers in 1976, which was then the Kid Glove game.

However this is what I believe to be my 1st MLB game, in 69 Tiger Stadium, railing 1st base line, dropped my popcorn on the green, green field, got a steamed "ballpark" frank and my dad chased a hippie out of our row when he tried to grab my seat when I sat on his lap.

Good times, except the Tigers lost

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1969/B07050DET1969.htm

CarolinaRedleg
09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198806240.shtml

My first Reds' regular season game in person. June 24, 1988, Hershiser and the hated Dodgers vs. The True Creature.
Game started ominously enough, as Steve Sax singled on the first pitch and later came around to score.
Home runs in the game by Jeff Treadway and Franklin Stubbs.
I also seem to remember Pete and Lasorda both getting ejected in the game.

oneupper
09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
First game: Old Yankee stadium. T-shirt day 1970

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1970/B05160NYA1970.htm

First REDS game: Dolphin Stadium 2004

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B06010FLO2004.htm

REDS win in extras! Dunn homers. Wily Mo adds an RBI single in the 10th.

Roy Tucker
09-13-2010, 02:28 PM
May 1, 1964, a Friday night game - Reds vs. Mets, Crosley Field.

We had just moved from Cleveland to Dayton and I was a just a neophyte as a Reds fan. The advertising agency my dad worked for had McGregor Sporting Goods as a client. At the last second, my dad got the McGregor tickets right behind the Mets dugout.

We drove down from Centerville and I remember thinking Crosley was in a scuzzy part of town. The game was rain delayed for a while and we just hung out inside Crosley somewhere. I remember it smelled like cigars big time and I was surprised to see my dad drink beer. He was a heavy-duty Canadian Club guy at the time.

The game finally got underway and we got the rain wiped off our seats wiped off by a typically grumpy Reds usher. They were a faded red and we sat in a box seat behind a railing. I don't remember a whole lot about the game besides hearing Ron Hunt shout a bad word when he came in off the field. Also Joey Jay pitched for the Reds and he had the biggest 5-o'clock shadow I'd ever seen.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1964/B05010CIN1964.htm

LoganBuck
09-13-2010, 02:53 PM
My first game that I remember, was a beat down at Riverfront administered by the Cards.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198908200.shtml

Tom Brunansky hit one off the facing of the red seats. I remember thinking just how monstrous a shot that was.

My parents and grandparents used to go to games with me when I was very young, like under three. Younger siblings and a 100 mile drive made it so that I didn't go to a real game with my dad until I was 11.

BoydsOfSummer
09-13-2010, 03:04 PM
On my tenth birthday in 1976. Santo Alcala versus Mike Cosgrove of the Astros. They both got lit up (11 runs betwixt them). I remember not liking poor Santo much after that. LOL

My hero, Johnny Lee Bench hit a homer for me that day; cementing him as my favorite player until my dying day. We drove from Jackson, Tennessee to the game because that's what I wanted for my birthday.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197607030.shtml

NJReds
09-13-2010, 03:37 PM
One could argue that my first "real" Reds game was my first game after I moved from the East Coast to the San Francisco Bay Area - April 8, 1983:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/B04080SFN1983.htm (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/B04080SFN1983.htm)

The Phillies lost to the Giants, 3-2.

However the Phillies lineup included Pete Rose, Joe Morgan and Tony Perez.

Later that season, on June 20, 1983, I attended a Reds-Giants game.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/B06200SFN1983.htm (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1983/B06200SFN1983.htm)

Reds lost 4-3 in 10 innings. Ted Power got the loss in relief. Bob Brenley tripled in the tying run in the 9th, and Jeff Leonard singled in Darrell Evans in the 10th.

Reds left 13 runners on. Ron Oester had 3 hits. Milner, Concepcion, Cedeno, Householder and Esasky had 2 hits apiece.

I have some Croix de Candlestick pins. Not sure they gave them out in 1983 ... if so, I earned one on this night.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/50/Croix_de_Candlestick.JPG/100px-Croix_de_Candlestick.JPG

medford
09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
It definently wasn't my first ball game, probably a good 7+ years after my first major league ball game, but the first game I distinctly remember is the showdown w/ the Braves where Glenn Braggs hit the first inning grandslam.

couldn't find the boxscore, but here's a game recap from the LA times: http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-27/sports/sp-776_1_home-run

westofyou
09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I have some Croix de Candlestick pins. Not sure they gave them out in 1983 ... if so, I earned one on this night.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/50/Croix_de_Candlestick.JPG/100px-Croix_de_Candlestick.JPG

Those are a 1984 invention, as was the Crazy Crab... good times, that team was the pits

Brutus
09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I appreciate everyone sharing these stories, by the way. I really enjoy reading about your first experiences at the old ball yard. Love hearing about some of the older players I never got a chance to see.

NJReds
09-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Those are a 1984 invention, as was the Crazy Crab... good times, that team was the pits

I thought it was later. It seemed like they always went extras when I went to night games.

Some other fun Candlestick memories between the Reds and Giants that I witnessed:

April 26, 1985 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1985/B04260SFN1985.htm): Reds go into the 9th leading 6-1 behind a masterful performance from Jay Tibbs. Tibbs stuggles in the ninth, gives way to Ted Power, who gives up a 3-run walkoff to Dan Gladden. Reds lose 7-6. Concepcion homered. Nick Esasky hit one of the longest HRs I ever saw dead center into the wind at Candlestick. Split the two flagpoles past the CF wall.

Esasky's was the longest HR I saw until June 8, 1986 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1986/B06081SFN1986.htm). Game 1 of a doubleheader. I was in the upperdeck in right centerfield. Dave Parker hit a monster shot into the upperdeck in RF in the first inning. In the ninth, down 7-1, Pete Rose stepped up. Giants manager, Roger Craig, went to the top step of the dugout and visibly waived his OF to come in a few steps. Rose hit one over the drawn in OF and did a trademark headfirst slide into third for a triple. Reds still lost 7-3.

July 29, 1990 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1990/B07290SFN1990.htm): Packed house at the 'stick. Giants won the first three games of the series. Scott Garrelts goes 8-2/3 no hit innings. O'Neill breaks up the no-no with a line shot into RF. Giants win 4-0 and sweep the series. If there was a Redszone, it would've been in meltdown mode as the wire-to-wire season was in jeopardy at that point.

redsmetz
09-13-2010, 04:09 PM

The only game at Riverfront that both Concepcion and Aaron hit home runs was this game on April 4, 1974, Opening Day, which as you know was the famed #714 which I think you'd remember having been there. I went through Concepcion's home run register on Baseball-Reference.com and his career and Aaron's pretty much were the 1974 season, Aaron's last season in Atlanta.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197404040.shtml

Davey only hit 12 HR's before the 1974 season, and only two of those were at Riverfront, one being against Atlanta. Now Dusty Baker hit a home run in that game and he knew Hank Aaron, as I'm sure you know. :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197304220.shtml

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 08:30 AM
It definently wasn't my first ball game, probably a good 7+ years after my first major league ball game, but the first game I distinctly remember is the showdown w/ the Braves where Glenn Braggs hit the first inning grandslam.

couldn't find the boxscore, but here's a game recap from the LA times: http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-...776_1_home-run

Here's that box, by the way: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199206260.shtml

Chip R
09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm fairly sure this was the first Reds game I saw. I was a senior in college then and I listened to the Friday game on the radio. I believe that was the day when Eric Davis ran into the wall in Wrigley trying (succeeding?) to make a catch. He didn't play for the next two games when we went to the game. I remember walking to the game with my dad and all of a sudden there was this baseball stadium in the middle of a neighborhood. It was like someone dropped it from the sky and put it right there.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1987/B09050CHN1987.htm

OnBaseMachine
09-14-2010, 11:47 AM
My first game was actually a doubleheader - the Reds won both games. June 25th, 1996, Reds won 9-1 and 3-1 over the Phillies. Eric Davis hit a 3-run double off the top of the wall in game one. I remember being amazed at how big Riverfront Stadium was and how green the turf was.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199606251.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199606252.shtml

Ghosts of 1990
09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Here was my first game. http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199105260.shtml

I don't remember a whole lot. We sat up in the Reds seats, my dad hated how high it was, and I cried for a few innings because Darryl Strawberry wasn't in the lineup.

Below is the first game I remember anything from.
August 8th, 1991 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199108080.shtml) vs. Dodgers

Paul O' Neill hit 2 home runs above me (I was just 9) to the seats in right field. Believe it or not; I was a huge fan of Darryl Strawberry and my parents took me to see him play (we made sure he was going to be in the lineup this time) and my mom and I got to see O'Neill go off and Darryl doubled into the gap. We were sitting in the green in right field. Saw myself on the news as O'Neill's homers were highlighted after the game in Cincy.

Dan
09-16-2010, 03:41 PM
The first game I have any recollection of attending was actually 2 games. A double header at Riverfront with my dad. Maybe we sat in the green seats, I don't know. And I'm sure with my dad and all my uncles it wasn't my first Reds game. Just the first I remember. I was 7 at the time.

All I can remember is seeing the players on the field and the score. The Reds scored 2 runs in both games, but won one and lost one. The first game they got blown out.

Game 1 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197807281.shtml)

Game 2 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197807282.shtml)