PDA

View Full Version : BP the sugar in the O's gas tank

malcontent
09-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Similar to his installation of T-Virus at leadoff last year, right now Baker is killing the offense with BP.

What's it gonna take for Pick to move him down in the order (or, God forbid, sit him for a couple games) and give the team a chance with someone else leading off?

"Coco" ain't the only problem at the moment.

texasdave
09-12-2010, 07:02 PM
In his 10 games since coming back Brandon's slash line is a pitiful: .140/.163/.195/.358.
He has scored 2 runs and driven in 2. Moving him down in the lineup or, heaven forbid, giving him a game off makes all too much sense.

New York Red
09-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I wish BP was the only one struggling. Unfortunately, there are others besides Phillips who are in prolonged slumps too - Gomes, Rolen, Heisey, etc. When you have this many every day players slumping at the plate, the offense is going to struggle. One of our strengths the first half of the season was hitting with RISP. That's hurting us now too. If we were hitting better with RISP, we wouldn't have to bring Cordero in so much.

TheBigLebowski
09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
More Valaika, please.

BP is horrible right now. His defense isn't at par with what it used to be either. Still, we all know Dusty is not going to sit him, and it took what seems like decades to get him out of the cleanup spot, which was an even worse fit for his talents than his current charge in the order.

Methinks he will be batting leadoff for the remainder of this season, at the very least.

Orodle
09-13-2010, 10:06 AM
My knock is not on BP struggling (I made a post about BP a few days ago), everyone will struggle. But I'm more concerned with BP's ability to help the team when hes struggling. I'm not saying hes selfish but more trying too hard. The other night when he came to the plate in the 9th with 2 outs and the winning run on 2nd EVERY major leaguer should know he is not gunna see a pitch to hit. His run means nothing and the opposing team would rather have a force....or if your a sucker maybe you'll get yourself out. BP promptly swings at a first pitch in the dirt trying to yank it out........

Valaika really impressed me when he got playing time. I'm not saying sit BP but if hes struggling get him some rest and get a hot Valaika in there.

Captain13
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Mark my words, once Bruce comes back the offense will start clicking again. :)

New York Red
09-13-2010, 12:29 PM
But when will that be? :confused:

I read a couple different places towards the end of last week that he would likely return sometime during the weekend series with the Pirates - but he didn't. Maybe it was just rumors.

Captain13
09-13-2010, 01:01 PM

I read a couple different places towards the end of last week that he would likely return sometime during the weekend series with the Pirates - but he didn't. Maybe it was just rumors.

I'm hearing Tuesday, but my money is on Friday.

malcontent
09-13-2010, 01:44 PM

What does Baker mean, "he won't heal completely till over the winter"?

And...I'd like to know just how Bruce got injured.

If it was during the post-game "run-down", Jocketty needs to get something on the bulletin board now...especially given the Morales and Coghlan injuries. Or at least a certified letter to Gomes, who seems to have filled the clubhouse moron role that Freel perfected.

These walk-off "beatings" and shaving cream pies are bush, IMO. It doesn't take 140 IQ points to show a little professionalism.

BEETTLEBUG
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Do you lead Bruce off when he gets back? I do

GIDP
09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
He will bat 7th followed with this quote.

"we wanted to ease him back in" - Dusty Baker

I hope I'm wrong.

texasdave
09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
He will bat 7th followed with this quote.

"we wanted to ease him back in" - Dusty Baker

I hope I'm wrong.

Similar to the way they eased Phillips back in. :)

GIDP
09-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Hes hitting 6th.

and Phillips is a big time player and a vet who is fast dude. Big time. :)

kfm
09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Who exactly is hitting. Brandon is struggling right now, but it seems like the whole team is in a slump. I mean how many runs did we score off of that powerful pirates staff. This may sound a little strange, but I am actually more concerned about the offense in the playoffs, if they get there, than I am about the pitcing. Brandon will be fine, we have seen him go through extended slumps and then come out of it. I mean he struggled last year during the first month while he was hitting fourth and then put up very nice numbers the rest of the way. I would be more concerned about Rolen whose power seems to have left him sometime in July.

mlh1981
09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
What does Baker mean, "he won't heal completely till over the winter"?

And...I'd like to know just how Bruce got injured.

If it was during the post-game "run-down", Jocketty needs to get something on the bulletin board now...especially given the Morales and Coghlan injuries. Or at least a certified letter to Gomes, who seems to have filled the clubhouse moron role that Freel perfected.

These walk-off "beatings" and shaving cream pies are bush, IMO. It doesn't take 140 IQ points to show a little professionalism.

It definately HAS to be from the "beating" he took.

I really cannot think of another explanation, because if there was one, we probably would have heard it by now.

Jones1
09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Swap Stubbs and Phillips in the lineup till BP's hand heals fully! Thats why he's not hitting!

Captain13
09-13-2010, 10:02 PM

I feel like a prophet. :beerme:

TheBigLebowski
09-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Funny thing is, when I first read the title of this post I thought about a controversial gasoline company that was somehow thwarting the efforts of the Baltimore Orioles.

malcontent
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
BP with the obligatory leadoff 0-fer.

Sweet memories of T-Virus.

GIDP
09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Guy needs some time off or to get his hand checked out again. He has no power in his swing. ZERO. Everything is a soft grounder.

Pains me to see him struggling like that for no reason right now. Get some rest.

mlh1981
09-15-2010, 12:04 AM
His overall season numbers, after all this, are going to be extremey misleading, unfortunately.

malcontent
09-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Guy needs some time off or to get his hand checked out again. He has no power in his swing. ZERO. Everything is a soft grounder.

Pains me to see him struggling like that for no reason right now. Get some rest.
This whole thing has me wondering if they're not being honest about the hand.

GIDP
09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
This whole thing has me wondering if they're not being honest about the hand.

I think its healthy enough to play but its obvious its not 100%

DocRed
09-17-2010, 11:17 PM
.127 in September now yet Dusty continues to bat him #1....