PDA

View Full Version : Scioscia proposes 158 game season

remdog
09-13-2010, 04:05 AM
Mike Scioscia, of the Angels, is proposeing that the season be cut to 158 games including some day/night doubleheaders. The effect of this would be to cut 7-10 days off of the schedule and, ultimately, insure that the World Series finishes before the end of October (and inclemete weather).

"As a member of Commissioner Bud Selig's 14-member special committee to review and examine on-field related issues, Scioscia has more power than most to enact change in the game.

He was an outspoken critic of a playoff format that had the Angels playing only nine games in 21 days last October."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels-mariners-20100913,0,2851386.story

Thoughts?

Rem

KronoRed
09-13-2010, 04:28 AM
It's a good idea to cut the season down so the world series doesn't bump into November but double headers will never come back.

Why not start the season in March? make them play in the cold :D

redsmetz
09-13-2010, 08:33 AM
It's a good idea to cut the season down so the world series doesn't bump into November but double headers will never come back.

Why not start the season in March? make them play in the cold :D

He's not proposing the old traditional doubleheaders where two claims are played back to back, but rather the day/night format used now to fill in for rainouts. I suspect you understand that. Are you alluding to the players not be for such a doubleheader format? I could see that as a plausible argument; that perhaps the players would not agree to that. Both games would provide revenue.

I agree that the old style doubleheader, the grueling marathons of yesteryear, will never come back, but baseball needs to do something creative like this to keep the season from extending so far out in the year. Given so many teams in the northern climes. it's dicey to have games bumping up into late October, early November. I don't want to see the World Series forced to be played in warmer neutral sites. That would be anathema, IMO.

Ghosts of 1990
09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I want it to stay 162 games. Shorten spring training if need to save pitching arms be and play more double headers.

bucksfan2
09-13-2010, 09:49 AM
He's not proposing the old traditional doubleheaders where two claims are played back to back, but rather the day/night format used now to fill in for rainouts. I suspect you understand that. Are you alluding to the players not be for such a doubleheader format? I could see that as a plausible argument; that perhaps the players would not agree to that. Both games would provide revenue.

I agree that the old style doubleheader, the grueling marathons of yesteryear, will never come back, but baseball needs to do something creative like this to keep the season from extending so far out in the year. Given so many teams in the northern climes. it's dicey to have games bumping up into late October, early November. I don't want to see the World Series forced to be played in warmer neutral sites. That would be anathema, IMO.

Cutting off 4 games of the season? To me this makes little sense. I like the idea of day night double headers. I like the idea even more about starting the season a few games earlier. How about starting the season on a Thursday night instead of a Monday night? How about revamping the playoffs based upon what teams are playing? Add an extra roster spot while cutting out an off day or two. Make it mandatory that if you are playing on a get away day with a game the next night you have to start at the latest 1 local time.

sivman17
09-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Why don't they just start the season a week earlier and tweak the playoff format so there are fewer off days and they aren't playing into November?

15fan
09-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Scrap the wild card. 2 divisions in each league. Winners meet in the LCS. LCS winners play in the WS.

Radical, isn't it?

SirFelixCat
09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Regarding the playoffs, if teams are playing in the same city (ie. the first 2 games of a series), have them play on back-to-back days, day off for travel, then play all the games at the other city on consecutive days.

I realize that it's the TV that's causing the 44 off-days between games, but that has to change, imo.

REDREAD
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I really agree that they need to remove some of the off days/travel from the playoffs.. It really drags out forever.

I don't think the players would mind a few day - night double headers if it ended the regular season at an earlier date. That means they start their winter vacation earlier. I think most players would like that. They certainly aren't going to complain about reducing the number of games, as long as their salary isn't cut.

NJReds
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I really agree that they need to remove some of the off days/travel from the playoffs.. It really drags out forever.

100% ... Also, the playoffs shouldn't be set up where one pitcher can go three times. They can play 7 games in 9 days with a 2-3-2 format.

oneupper
09-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Build roofs.

NJReds
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Build roofs.

You'll hear that a lot if we end up with a Minnesota - Colorado world series that goes into early November.

Hoosier Red
09-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I actually like both ideas. I'd be in favor of a Memorial Day and Labor Day double header with the instructions to the schedule maker to "try" to keep those games intra divisional. Obviously the AL East, AL Central, NL East and NL West would have to each have one odd team out.

But Memorial Day is essentially the opening of Summer where the "pretenders" of the first few weeks have started to seperate from the "contenders." Obviously Labor Day is the "beginning of the end" the fact that a team could make up two games in one day would add to the excitement, and hopefully bring some attention back on Baseball that College Football has taken over the weekend. You could even it out and make sure each team plays a 3 game series with an off day on Wednesday and then a 4 game series, or a 4 game series with the off day on Thursday and then a 3 game series.

LoganBuck
09-13-2010, 01:27 PM
A few years ago on opening day, 700 WLW had one of the local weather guys on talking about the weather. The subject of moving the date of Opening Day came up. Their was a substantial difference in just a week earlier. How many times is there still snow on the ground during the last week of March? I can think of many years.

I was on my church council a few years ago. We have a parish festival that traditionally had been the second Sunday in October. I did some research and found that the average temperature, rainfall, and potential for snow(!), was much more desirable on the last weekend of September. It was eye opening. We moved the festival and have had brilliant sunshine, and nice temps since.

OnBaseMachine
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I hate any idea that shortens baseball season.

Cedric
09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't mind if they changed it this season to 158 games.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Interestingly, in the CBA, there is a limitation on the number of Day-Night doubleheaders a team can play within a season. But to the contrary, scheduled doubleheaders that are in the traditional sense are not limited.

Point is... the player's association would be more likely to approve a traditional doubleheader than a day-night format. Reason being travel, time off, etc. It's better for them if they're played consecutively and get them done and over with.

bucksfan2
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Interestingly, in the CBA, there is a limitation on the number of Day-Night doubleheaders a team can play within a season. But to the contrary, scheduled doubleheaders that are in the traditional sense are not limited.

Point is... the player's association would be more likely to approve a traditional doubleheader than a day-night format. Reason being travel, time off, etc. It's better for them if they're played consecutively and get them done and over with.

If you would start a series off with a double header that would make much more sense. Start a series on Monday with a day/night double header. Then finish the series with games on Tues and Wed. That would cut down on the time and travel.

Chip R
09-13-2010, 02:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the dirty little secret here is that as much as they say they want them, fans don't really want double headers - day-night ones or regular ones. They don't want to invest that much time to go watch in today's society.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the dirty little secret here is that as much as they say they want them, fans don't really want double headers - day-night ones or regular ones. They don't want to invest that much time to go watch in today's society.

I think most fans would want them, if even as a novelty.

I don't want them to be commonplace, but it would be cool to see a few here and there. You're right though, they wouldn't go over if done too often.

We'll obviously wind up seeing day-night variations if this kind of proposal went through because owners will get more $$$ by having a split gate. It would actually be smart if done as a day-night DH on a Saturday because more people would go to those games than if the second game were say on a Thursday.

LoganBuck
09-13-2010, 03:06 PM
I hate double headers! There I said it. They are too long, and they can destroy a bullpen for a week. How would you have liked to play the Rockies last week with a double header? My worst fear would be to run into a hot team, burn your bullpen and that double header turns into a recurring nightmare until you get to your next off day. The games would probably have to be played on Saturday's, and holiday's like Memorial, Independence, and Labor days, so attendance wouldn't suffer, promotions would have to be ratcheted up, and It could still take its' toll.

KronoRed
09-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Scrap the wild card. 2 divisions in each league. Winners meet in the LCS. LCS winners play in the WS.

Radical, isn't it?

Nah, no divisions, it was done that way for years.

Tradition :D

Chip R
09-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Radical, isn't it?

It's been done.

http://beatles.coolcherrycream.com/images/the-simpsons/homers-barbershop-quartet-14.jpg

corkedbat
09-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I miss doubleheaders - some have my best riverfront experiences were doubleheaders. Then again, there was that one time in college where my buddies and I decided to try and drink a beer every half inning of one against the Braves... :all_cohol :yikes:

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I really would not mind 158 games and the proposal at hand. I think it's 1 of the better ones I've seen.

TRF
09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
158 games is shortening the season by 4 games.

I can live with that.

1 day/night double header per month May-August (4 months)

that'd do it.

Ghosts of 1990
09-13-2010, 06:04 PM

Radical, isn't it?

They want parity. They're actually discussing one more wildcard I heard from Jayson Stark the other morning on the radio. More teams in the postseason, more fan interest, more dollars and so forth.

reds44
09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
If any move needs to be made with scheduling, they need to make the division series 7 games. Playing 162 games and then having a 5 game first round is beyond stupid.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
If any move needs to be made with scheduling, they need to make the division series 7 games. Playing 162 games and then having a 5 game first round is beyond stupid.

I don't think it's stupid. The reason they're trying to shorten the schedule is to get the playoffs done sooner. Going to a 7-game first round kind of partially defeats the purpose.

If they would play the first round without breaks, a 5-game (and 7-game with only one or two breaks) would be nice because it would force teams to rely on most of their starting pitchers rather than riding 1 or 2.

RedsManRick
09-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't think it's stupid. The reason they're trying to shorten the schedule is to get the playoffs done sooner. Going to a 7-game first round kind of partially defeats the purpose. [quote]

I don't think that was his point. It's that regardless of the specific length of the season, it's proportion to the playoffs is silly. It should be a best of 7 across the board.

[quote]
If they would play the first round without breaks, a 5-game (and 7-game with only one or two breaks) would be nice because it would force teams to rely on most of their starting pitchers rather than riding 1 or 2.

This I agree with 100%. My biggest complaint about the post-season is that's a fundamentally different game. Imagine if in the NBA playoffs they made it 4 on 4? I'm a fan of 2 at home back-to- back, day off. 3 on the road back-to-back-to-back, day off. 2 at home, back-to-back.

At least make 4 man rotations or short rest mandatory. Allowing 3 man rotations and fully rested bullpens is silly.