PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks the Reds get past the first round playoff?

RBA
09-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Well?

SirFelixCat
09-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Slight chance. I see this team learning from just making the playoffs and in the future (read: next season) having a very real chance to go deep.

I'll be honest, I don't expect much once this team gets to the playoffs this season, but I'm really ok w/ that. Just getting there is a huge step forward for this franchise.

HokieRed
09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Voted no and I wish all these jinx threads would go away.

RBA
09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Voted no and I wish all these jinx threads would go away.

Wish, not granted.

I don't believe in jinxes, fairy tales, ghost, or other baloney and nonsense and hokie pokie.

HokieRed
09-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Wish, not granted.

I don't believe in jinxes, fairy tales, ghost, or other baloney and nonsense and hokie pokie.

Neither do I but I do think there are a lot of RZers who don't have adequate respect for the St. Louis Cardinals as a team. Whatever one thinks about their manager, their best pitcher, their attitude etc., they are still a very dangerous team.

CarolinaRedleg
09-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Nothing to see here.

wheels
09-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Jinxes are for suckers.

Pretty soon people are gonna be saying a goat cursed the Reds too.

I think they'll keep the games close, but the pen will blow a few games. They might be able to steal the opening round, but in a seven game series they stand little to no chance.

RBA
09-13-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm going to shave all my body hair/eye brows etc, that should nullify any jinxes. ;)

Not really; but if some of you are so inclined, I heard wearing a thong for 10 days does the trick.

HotCorner
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm not voting but I will say that a lot depends upon the matchup. I like the Reds' chances against Atlanta, San Diego and even Colorado with the Reds' having home field advantage. Let SF and Philly slug it out in the first round. ;)

NJReds
09-13-2010, 11:01 AM
I worry about the playoffs once they clinch. Not thinking about matchups, yet.

oneupper
09-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Until they clinch, I'm not sure they even play. Sorry, but stuff happens.

Always Red
09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I voted slight chance, because there is always the chance that you might catch lightening in a bottle.

For me, if and when they clinch the NL Central- the year is a tremendous success. Anything else is icing on the cake, not that you don't give it your all to continue to advance.

In other words- for this year, I would just be happy to be there.

HokieRed
09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Talking about "jinxes," by the way, is really a way of talking about humility, the kind that usually comes from playing the game and following it for a long time--thus knowing anything can happen, nothing is certain.

RedsManRick
09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
There's always a chance, but this is a team built for the regular season.

Griffey012
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
My answer 100% hinges on who we face.

If we face Philly, we will be lucky to see a game 4.
If we face Atl, I think its an even match-up on both sides, so cautiously optimistic.
If we face SD, I think we can match up with them well, so cautiously optimistic.
If we face SFG, I look for them to take us, but we would have a slight chance.
If we face Col, if we have home field advantage we have a slight chance.

I personally could care less what our record is against these teams, or against winning teams. In the playoffs you have #1 v #1, #2 v #2, and so on. With many more off days Rolen won't be sitting, anyone in our pen is available every game. Philly will most likely run away with the NL crown, but SFG, SD, COL, and ATL compare pretty well with us in terms of overall talent.

HeatherC1212
09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
I would really like to actually GET to the playoffs first and then worry about what could happen there and I'm kind of thankful it sounds like I'm not the only one who feels that way. No jinx...just being a realist right now. Nothing is set in stone yet!

PuffyPig
09-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Teams that have been built for the playoffs (a couple of TOR starters) haven't necessarily fared much better in the playoffs.

You make the playoffs, anything can happen.

That's been proven time and time again.

Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine won one world series in how many tries?

TRF
09-13-2010, 01:21 PM

I agree with this BUT...

Volquez/Aroldis are wildcards. Especially if Chapman can go multiple innings.

Superb defense, especially if Janish is in the lineup.

The OF might be healthy by then. Another wildcard.

wheels
09-13-2010, 01:45 PM

I've always felt that certain teams were built in such way as to be a good playoff team. I've just never been able to quantify it.

What do you think makes a good playoff team? Locldown starter or two? Good defense? Great bullpen?

What do you think is the most important element in playoff success?

oneupper
09-13-2010, 01:50 PM

Luck. I subscribe to the Billy Beane theory.

Will M
09-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I've always felt that certain teams were built in such way as to be a good playoff team. I've just never been able to quantify it.

What do you think makes a good playoff team? Locldown starter or two? Good defense? Great bullpen?

1) 3 strong starters. who cares about the 4th & 5th guys?
2) 3 8th/9th inning relievers. if your aces go 7 then you don't need middle relief.
3) a strong defense.
4) an offense that is not built around guys hitting 3 run home runs against BOR starters & middle relievers.

Degenerate39
09-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Anything can happen in the playoffs. I think anyone has a chance to win it or they wouldn't be in the playoffs. Let's just let them get there first

Unassisted
09-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Where's the "It depends" choice? There are a couple of NL teams I don't see them getting past in a division series and several that I do think they can beat.

In lieu of that, I'll throw caution to the wind and go with "Cautiously Optimistic." ;)

thatcoolguy_22
09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Very confident. I refuse to give reasons because I'm not interested in defending my position. However I think this is their year.

Captain Hook
09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I'd say their chances are about 50/50.Maybe a little less.I suppose that means I'm giving them a slight to good chance.If they advance I'd give them about the same chances in the NLCS.If they advance to the WS probably just a slight chance to win that.I'm just happy they have any chance though.

WVRed
09-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Let's worry about just getting into the playoffs first.

Once we get there, it's a whole new ballgame. Nobody predicted young teams like the Marlins, Rays, and even the Rockies advancing to the World Series in years past. Once the season ends, a new season begins, and it becomes impossible to predict.

Not trying to be overly optimistic, but for all the talk of jinxes, I believe in playoff magic. Teams not expected to contend hoisting a World Series trophy.

WMR
09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Duh, of course. How else are they going to get to the World Series? :D

mth123
09-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I said slight chance, well because anything is possible, but I'm pretty doubtful. IMO the problem won't be the pen or the offense (but other teams running out the aces that the Reds don't have may make it appear so). The Reds simply don't have the top flight starters to counter other teams. If these are low scoring games, I don't really like the Reds chances.

edabbs44
09-13-2010, 09:28 PM
My answer 100% hinges on who we face.

If we face Philly, we will be lucky to see a game 4.
If we face Atl, I think its an even match-up on both sides, so cautiously optimistic.
If we face SD, I think we can match up with them well, so cautiously optimistic.
If we face SFG, I look for them to take us, but we would have a slight chance.
If we face Col, if we have home field advantage we have a slight chance.

I personally could care less what our record is against these teams, or against winning teams. In the playoffs you have #1 v #1, #2 v #2, and so on. With many more off days Rolen won't be sitting, anyone in our pen is available every game. Philly will most likely run away with the NL crown, but SFG, SD, COL, and ATL compare pretty well with us in terms of overall talent.
Yeah, it depends on the opponent.

WebScorpion
09-13-2010, 10:47 PM
My heart knows that this team can be unstoppable when firing on all cylinders. Most of our young players are very streaky, if they all got hot at the same time we could go all the way.

My head knows the odds of that happening are very slim. This team has demonstrated a distinct lack of stepping up for big games...in fact, one could say they usually step down.
I'll go with cautiously optimistic. :D