09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I'd just as soon have Balentien.

nemesis
09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors

THe WS is ours for the taking now!!!!! :cool:

CTA513
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
So who goes to make room for him or does Nix go to the 60 day DL?

RedsManRick
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
You cannot be serious. JoePoz is going to have fun with this. We're dropping somebody off the 40 man for a sub-replacement utility guy? Why not just call up Wilkin Castillo?

Brutus
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
You cannot be serious. JoePoz is going to have fun with this.

At least we won't have to see him in the postseason :)

Ron Madden
09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
They also called Burton up from Louisville.

RedsManRick
Just when I start to feel good about things, I hear about a multi-year extension for Dusty and this. I just can't trust this FO.

Tom Servo
oh god

Cedric
Does Larkin work for the Reds as an advisor? I watched MLB network about a week ago and for some weird reason Barry was raving on Bloomquist and how versatile he is.

LoganBuck
09-13-2010, 04:01 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bloomwi01.shtml

Really?

Brutus
09-13-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bloomwi01.shtml

Really?

In the words of Shrek, "really, really."

LawFive
09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Who would you rather have as an emergency OF'er? Bloomquist or Leake? Gosh. The board has been up in arms for nearly two weeks saying "Get a body in here, ANY body". They did. And we're still griping??!! He can't be on the playoff 25, so really the only thing this does is help (at least a little) prevent the Reds from having to do something silly, embarassing, dangerous, or all three should an Armegeddon scenario happen.

lollipopcurve
09-13-2010, 04:06 PM
No problem with this. He can run a little bit (the Reds have very little speed on the bench) and play anywhere, giving Baker a lot of double switch options. Has hit lefties well this year. I've always kind of liked Bloomquist.

Cedric
09-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Who would you rather have as an emergency OF'er? Bloomquist or Leake? Gosh. The board has been up in arms for nearly two weeks saying "Get a body in here, ANY body". They did. And we're still griping??!! He can't be on the playoff 25, so really the only thing this does is help (at least a little) prevent the Reds from having to do something silly, embarassing, dangerous, or all three should an Armegeddon scenario happen.

So they waited upwards of 15 days for Willie Bloomquist to be the option? Why even bother now if this is what you are going to do.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Would you expect anything different from this board?

The argument is going to be that Dorn, Sappelt, Balentien, etc. are better options than is Bloomquist. Whether it's true or not, hard to say (though it's not a stretch to think so). Clearly though Jocketty values experience right now, so while I am very unimpressed with Bloomquist, I understand and appreciate the rationale behind it.

pedro
09-13-2010, 04:09 PM
IIRC he's fairly decent with the glove and gives them someone who can be a defensive replacement for gomes.

LoganBuck
Would you expect anything different from this board?

The argument is going to be that Dorn, Sappelt, Balentien, etc. are better options than is Bloomquist. Whether it's true or not, hard to say (though it's not a stretch to think so). Clearly though Jocketty values experience right now, so while I am very unimpressed with Bloomquist, I understand and appreciate the rationale behind it.

To that end, I understand it. But, at the same time, if I am looking for any offensive help at all, I would much rather have had any of the four options at AAA. I don't see Bloomquist helping at all with that wooden stick in his hands.

OnBaseMachine
Wow.

Willie "I can't play defense or hit" Bloomquist over Wladimir Balentien, Danny Dorn, and even David Sappelt.

I actually think I would take Gary Matthews Jr. over Bloomquist.

Reds Freak
09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Sounds fine to me, it's a warm body at least. Would have prefered Balentin but perhaps he's not able to play in the field yet. I assume Bloomquist is decent defensively?

lollipopcurve
09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
When your prime pinch runner is Chris Valaika, you've got no speed on the bench.

Pinch running and defensive versatility. Nobody in AAA provides that. Plus, he's expereinced -- though of course that means nothing to most here.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Just when I start to feel good about things, I hear about a multi-year extension for Dusty and this. I just can't trust this FO.

Yeah, they're screwing us fans!!!

He catches the ball, Cairo played the OF this weekend and yet this is an untrustworthy move eh?

Brutus
09-13-2010, 04:15 PM

He catches the ball, Cairo played the OF this weekend and yet this is an untrustworthy move eh?

Not to mention in addition to being an emergency move, he'll be in town all of 3 weeks then dropped like a bad habit.

OnBaseMachine
I assume Bloomquist is decent defensively?

No, he's below average. He's got a -7.9 UZR this season, including a -6.9 in the outfield. He doesn't help this team at all. Wladimir Balentien or Danny Dorn are far better options than Bloomquist. Sappelt too.

Brutus
No, he's below average. He's got a -7.9 UZR this season, including a -6.9 in the outfield. He doesn't help this team at all. Wladimir Balentien or Danny Dorn are far better options than Bloomquist. Sappelt too.

His UZR numbers are very unreliable because he plays so many different positions, he truly hasn't played enough at any position to trust his numbers. Realize he's never made more than 100 plays in a season at any one position.

OesterPoster
09-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Come on, you can't possibly think that Dorn is better in the outfield than Bloomquist?

And Balentien has only DH'd since coming off the DL.

Sappelt...do you really want an outfield of 3 rookies at one time?

Reds Fanatic
09-13-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't have a big problem with this as long as he is basically just used in emergency cases where we run out of regular OFs like the other night. It is better than being stuck with an IF Cairo playing out there like this weekend. Hopefully Bruce is back as early as tomorrow though from what I read I don't expect him to be playing every day even when he comes back. Once Bruce is back even if part time Bloomquist is going to be a 5th OF. You will rarely ever see him but if needed he at least has experience playing the position.

bucksfan2
09-13-2010, 04:17 PM

I really should let comments like this go but I just can't.

How in the world can't you trust this FO? The man running the FO built the Cards into a perenial playoff contender and a WS champ. He now has turned an organization (granted with the help previous GM's but who hasn't had help before) from a door mat to a team on the verge of the playoffs. I think he has earned the trust.

You have a manager who has this team on the verge of the playoffs for the first time in a decade. A manager who has brought back respectability to an organization. A manager who has been within 3 outs of a WS championship. What kind of person, who has had this level of success, wouldn't fight for a multi-year extension. And what kind of team fighting for respectability low ball their current successful manager?

OnBaseMachine
09-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Come on, you can't possibly think that Dorn is better in the outfield than Bloomquist?

And Balentien has only DH'd since coming off the DL.

He can't be any worse than Bloomquist. Bloomquist doesn't upgrade this team at all. Pointless move, IMO.

JaxRed
09-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Any chance we're giving them Cordero?

lollipopcurve
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Only thing some folks on this board understand is OPS.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Except we now not only have to make a 40 man move, we also have to either give up someone or cash when all we really had to do was call Todd Frazier, Wladimir Balentien, Danny Dorn or Dave Sappelt and just make the 40 man move.

When your prime pinch runner is Chris Valaika, you've got no speed on the bench.

Pinch running and defensive versatility. Nobody in AAA provides that. Plus, he's expereinced -- though of course that means nothing to most here.

Dave Sappelt has some wheels. He also has plus range in center field.

I don't care if they are rookies or not. I will absolutely, 100% take Dave Sappelt, today, over Willie Bloomquist. He is simply a better option.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't care if they are rookies or not. I will absolutely, 100% take Dave Sappelt, today, over Willie Bloomquist. He is simply a better option.

So let's waste one of his (options)?

pedro
09-13-2010, 04:22 PM
He can't be any worse than Bloomquist. Bloomquist doesn't upgrade this team at all. Pointless move, IMO.

Bloomquist can catch the ball at many positions. Gives them a lot of flexibility for late inning double switches and a guy that can be a late inning defensive replacement for Gomes. You may not think he's a better defensive solution than Dorn, but you're wrong.

He was not picked up to get a bunch of AB's, although I'm sure he'll get a few.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Except we now not only have to make a 40 man move, we also have to either give up someone or cash when all we really had to do was call Todd Frazier, Wladimir Balentien, Danny Dorn or Dave Sappelt and just make the 40 man move.

Dave Sappelt has some wheels. He also has plus range in center field.

A) I doubt the player is going to be anyone of consequence. Seriously, the prospect Cincinnati gives up in this trade will be nothing more than a pulse.

B & C) Sappelt may have wheels, but we've already seen exhibit A of what happens to fringe prospects against tough pitching early in their careers. They're very, very unreliable and often overmatched. The front office must not think Sappelt is ready to be trusted. At least with Bloomquist we know what we're going to get. It's not all good, but it's also not all bad. Versatility, a decent defender with decent speed and the ability to pinch run are all good traits to have for the last 3 weeks of the season.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 04:25 PM
So let's waste one of his (options)?

I would have just called up Frazier. Wouldn't waste a single option since he has to be protected this offseason anyways. He provides corner defense, infield defense and power off the bench. But in regards to Sappelt, he does the things the original poster said wasn't available in AAA.

Cedric
09-13-2010, 04:25 PM
A) I doubt the player is going to be anyone of consequence. Seriously, the prospect Cincinnati gives up in this trade will be nothing more than a pulse.

B & C) Sappelt may have wheels, but we've already seen exhibit A of what happens to fringe prospects against tough pitching early in their careers. They're very, very unreliable and often overmatched. The front office must not think Sappelt is ready to be trusted. At least with Bloomquist we know what we're going to get. It's not all good, but it's also not all bad. Versatility, a decent defender with decent speed and the ability to pinch run are all good traits to have for the last 3 weeks of the season.

What's exhibit A you speak of?

johngalt
09-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow, the hysterics in this thread are amazing.

The Reds picked up a supremely versatile player to help them make it through the last three weeks of the season when half the roster is hurting in some way, shape or form. It will cost them virtually nothing and will keep them from wasting an option year for a young player. And all of a sudden this is a pointless move that has people questioning the ability of the front office?

Seriously?

This is just about having a versatile guy to make it through the next few weeks. Calm down.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 04:26 PM
What's exhibit A you speak of?

Heisey.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
I would have just called up Frazier. Wouldn't waste a single option since he has to be protected this offseason anyways. He provides corner defense, infield defense and power off the bench. But in regards to Sappelt, he does the things the original poster said wasn't available in AAA.

I think he means that if a player is added to the 40-man during the season, then the player would have an option used because of more than 20 days spent during the season in the minors. I don't remember if that's the case, but it would certainly make sense as to why not add one of those players. That would be a wasted option.

Roy Tucker
The Pride of Port Orchard.

I'm good with this. Its a stop-gap measure, no more, no less. I don't think they'll be handing him a starting spot and bat him #4 or anything.

Crosley68
LOL........This place is hilarious. Thanks guys I needed a lift today. :beerme:

edabbs44
09-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Willie, welcome to Redszone.

PuffyPig
FWIW, his OPS vs. LH pitching this year is .838.

Joseph
This is not a hand wringing move at all. He will more likely have a positive effect, then be gone. Moving someone to the 60 day DL like Nix will cover his 40 man spot.

Plus Plus
09-13-2010, 04:38 PM
m_sheldon

RHP Enerio Del Rosario designated for assignment to make room for Bloomquist. #reds

thatcoolguy_22
In the words of Shrek, "really, really."

Also in the words of Shrek, "That'll donkey, that'll do." (towards WJ :D )

It's really no matter to me. We will only see him log a handful of innings or maybe a game in the last couple series, after the pennant is already locked up. Save the options on the young guys, save the legs of the old guys, and when he is released clears a spot on the 40 man for Frazier.

This move will affect .00000000000000000000001 of the results of this years and next season.

OesterPoster
There's your answer:

Jamieblog

Del Rosario designated for assignment to make room for Bloomquist on the 40-man roster 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Brutus
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
There's your answer:

Jamieblog

Del Rosario designated for assignment to make room for Bloomquist on the 40-man roster 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

I've been calling that for a few weeks. Everyone was saying DRH, but because he's a specialty LH reliever, I figured Del Rosario would be first on the chopping block.

Reds Freak
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I think the bigger news here is calling up Burton. I was really confused as to why he hadn't been given a shot yet this year but he put up pretty solid numbers in AAA and has been in the back-end of the Reds bullpen before. I'll be interested to see how he pitches...

redsmetz
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Willie, welcome to Redszone.

I think secretly the issue is that the name gives many people the Willies. Willie Bloomquest, Willie Taveras, Willie Greene, Wily Mo Pena.

I'm guessing Walt decided things were just a little to peachy here on RedsZone and he thought he'd mix it up a little.

Griffey012
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Kinda reminds me of the backlash of Miguel Cairo making the team out of ST.

I really don't care about the move one way or the other, he is gonna be a warm body for another 20 games and that will be his Reds career. I'll trust Walt more than I'll trust my own opinions.

redsmetz
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
BTW, it's not surprising that del Rosario was let go. With the minor league seasons over, you could figure they'd be able to release someone who isn't in their plans next year. They'll be doing that pruning after the seasons over, so one guy going out earlier than he otherwise would have isn't that big a deal.

nate
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Man, if I ever meet "this board" I'm gonna give "him" and his Sybil personality a what for!

camisadelgolf
09-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I think a lot of you are being overly dramatic. He has 1.6 WAR since 2008, so it's not like he's costing his teams pennants. It's September, and the Reds pretty much have the division in the bag. Therefore, it's nice to have a guy like Bloomquist around for the final stretch so they can rest more important players like Rolen, Phillips, Cabrera, Bruce, etc.

Why add Sappelt to the 40-man roster an entire year before necessary? So you can waste an option?

If you bring up Balentien and want to keep him around for next year, you run the good chance of him hitting arbitration in 2012 instead of 2013. The more likely issue, though, is that he has struggled lately and was playing injured (six hits in last 38 at-bats).

As for Dorn, the Reds clearly feel like his bat won't translate to Major League success, so he has more value to them as a rule five pickup ($50,000 if lost) than losing him on waivers ($20,000 if lost). If he stays with the team, they have someone who can help fill out the minor league depth and get the AAA team back in the playoffs.

flyer85
scrappy veteran :thumbup: :D

TheNext44
I know this doesn't mean much to some people, but Bloomquist has a very strong reputation as being a "winner", one of the guys that plays the game "the right way."

Walt has always liked to acquire guys like him... Rolen, Cabrera, Rhodes, Cairo and Gomes just here in Cincinnati. All of those acquisitions were heavily criticized by this many members of this board for that very reason, and some still are.

I think if you believe that a player can have value beyond his WAR, than you'll like Bloomquest. If not, than you'll continue to complain.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 05:04 PM
I think he means that if a player is added to the 40-man during the season, then the player would have an option used because of more than 20 days spent during the season in the minors. I don't remember if that's the case, but it would certainly make sense as to why not add one of those players. That would be a wasted option.

An option is only used if the player is sent back down.

RedsManRick
09-13-2010, 05:04 PM

It was somewhat tongue in cheek. But I'd rather have Cairo in RF and Del Rosario in the organization than Willie Bloomquist. Why wasn't this deal made 2 weeks ago?

edabbs44
09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I know this doesn't mean much to some people, but Bloomquist has a very strong reputation as being a "winner", one of the guys that plays the game "the right way."

Walt has always liked to acquire guys like him... Rolen, Cabrera, Rhodes, Cairo and Gomes just here in Cincinnati. All of those acquisitions were heavily criticized by this many members of this board for that very reason, and some still are.

I think if you believe that a player can have value beyond his WAR, than you'll like Bloomquest. If not, than you'll continue to complain.

Those who will complain, will complain. It's how it is.

_Sir_Charles_
09-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Wow, the hysterics in this thread are amazing.

True. But are they unexpected? :O)

I don't really care about this deal one way or another. He's an emergency backup guy. He keeps us from burning options on minor league kids not quite ready for prime time. The 40-man roster move...I'd assume it'll be Nix to the 60 day.

~edit~ Just saw that Del Rosario was DFA. I forgot he was even on the 40-man. Makes sense.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 05:08 PM
It was somewhat tongue in cheek. But I'd rather have Cairo in RF and Del Rosario in the organization than Willie Bloomquist.

Well I'd rather have Bruce and Nix well and in the field.

But if Bloomquist catches a ball that Cairo couldn't get I'd rather have him out there, and chances are that's just the thought going through the guys heads who make that call.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I think a lot of you are being overly dramatic. He has 1.6 WAR since 2008, so it's not like he's costing his teams pennants. It's September, and the Reds pretty much have the division in the bag. Therefore, it's nice to have a guy like Bloomquist around for the final stretch so they can rest more important players like Rolen, Phillips, Cabrera, Bruce, etc.

Why add Sappelt to the 40-man roster an entire year before necessary? So you can waste an option?

If you bring up Balentien and want to keep him around for next year, you run the good chance of him hitting arbitration in 2012 instead of 2013. The more likely issue, though, is that he has struggled lately and was playing injured (six hits in last 38 at-bats).

As for Dorn, the Reds clearly feel like his bat won't translate to Major League success, so he has more value to them as a rule five pickup ($50,000 if lost) than losing him on waivers ($20,000 if lost). If he stays with the team, they have someone who can help fill out the minor league depth and get the AAA team back in the playoffs.

The Reds aren't likely even worried about how much they'd get in return for Dorn from a Rule 5 or Waiver claim. Either they think he can contribute or he can't. If they don't believe his bat will translate, can glove it enough or both, then they're not likely worried about the money because they don't want to add him in the first place.

As far as Balentien, arbitration has nothing to do with it. He has 131 days, in addition to a full season, of service. An extra 20 days still keeps him below 2 years of service. Since, at this point, if he makes the roster he would have a full year of service next season anyhow, it really doesn't matter what they do with him. He's pretty much past Super 2 status even at 131 days plus 2 years. I imagine physical issues are what's keeping Balentien off the 40-man.

I agree on Sappelt RE: the option. If, in fact, an option would be used retroactively if he's added now (something I haven't seen verified), that is a good reason not to waste it this late in the year.

RedsManRick
09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Well I'd rather have Bruce and Nix well and in the field. I think we can all agree on that!

Danny Serafini
09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree on Sappelt RE: the option. If, in fact, an option would be used retroactively if he's added now (something I haven't seen verified), that is a good reason not to waste it this late in the year.

There's no such thing as a retroactive option. It likely would burn an option in 2011 though, because the odds of him opening the season on the 25 man roster aren't very good.

_Sir_Charles_
09-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Well put.

Love the new avatar btw. :O)

Kc61
09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
It was somewhat tongue in cheek. But I'd rather have Cairo in RF and Del Rosario in the organization than Willie Bloomquist.

For the next three weeks, the Reds need someone who can fill in at many different positions - in case of further injury, in case they have to rest somebody, in case they need to pinch hit or run for somebody. Bloomquist, whatever his shortcomings, seems to fit that mold.

The Del Rosario move is fine IMO. The next three weeks are key, and for those weeks Bloomquist's versatility is more important IMO.

batsfan
09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Designating Del Rosario is a stupid move. A groundball pitcher like Del Rosario is a perfect fit for GABP, and they are hard to find. We have plenty of players to back up in the infield, and Balentien would be a much better offensive option for the outfield.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
For the next three weeks, the Reds need someone who can fill in at many different positions - in case of further injury, in case they have to rest somebody, in case they need to pinch hit or run for somebody. Bloomquist, whatever his shortcomings, seems to fit that mold.

The Del Rosario move is just fine IMO. The next three weeks are key, and for those weeks Bloomquist's versatility is more important IMO.

Todd Frazier fits that mold as well, has to be added to the 40 man this winter anyways so he doesn't use an option until next season when he was going to use it anyways and we don't have to trade a player.

PuffyPig
09-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Designating Del Rosario is a stupid move. A groundball pitcher like Del Rosario is a perfect fit for GABP, and they are hard to find. We have plenty of players to back up in the infield, and Balentien would be a much better offensive option for the outfield.

Not if Balentin can't physically play the OF, as has been reported.

Hoosier Red
09-13-2010, 05:19 PM
The Reds aren't likely even worried about how much they'd get in return for Dorn from a Rule 5 or Waiver claim. Either they think he can contribute or he can't. If they don't believe his bat will translate, can glove it enough or both, then they're not likely worried about the money because they don't want to add him in the first place.

As far as Balentien, arbitration has nothing to do with it. He has 131 days, in addition to a full season, of service. An extra 20 days still keeps him below 2 years of service. Since, at this point, if he makes the roster he would have a full year of service next season anyhow, it really doesn't matter what they do with him. He's pretty much past Super 2 status even at 131 days plus 2 years. I imagine physical issues are what's keeping Balentien off the 40-man.

Yes and no, it doesn't make sense to call them up if next year you would have to send them back down. Dorn made it through the process this year because no one thought enough of him to take a chance in the Rule 5 draft. If he was brought up this year for three weeks, he'd have to be released/waived to get off the 40 man roster. Same with Balentien I believe. This leaves open the Reds options on protecting the players by moving them to the 40 man roster or not.

I agree, I would have rather brought up Frazier(who I believe can contribute and will prove to be a contributing member in 3 years or fewer anyway) or if they were going to trade for Bloomquist, I wish they would have done it sooner.

Still all in all can't hate this deal tooooo much.

Kc61
09-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Todd Frazier fits that mold as well, has to be added to the 40 man this winter anyways so he doesn't use an option until next season when he was going to use it anyways and we don't have to trade a player.

The Reds obviously don't want to give Frazier his first dose of big league experience at this key time for the team.

Agree or disagree, but it's not irrational to want somebody with years of major league experience under these circumstances.

I doubt very highly that this relates to Frazier's options. I think it's his lack of big league experience.

Perhaps if the Reds had brought him up sooner, they would be comfortable with Frazier as a utility man. But for right now, I think Bloomquist's experience outweighed Frazier's potential.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
The Reds obviously don't want to give Frazier his first dose of big league experience at this key time for the team.

Agree or disagree, but it's not irrational to want somebody with years of major league experience under these circumstances.

I doubt very highly that this relates to Frazier's options. I think it's his lack of big league experience.

Perhaps if the Reds had brought him up sooner, they would be comfortable with Frazier as a utility man. But for right now, I think Bloomquist's experience outweighed Frazier's potential.
I am sure this is 100% correct. Personally, I would rather take my chances on someone who I am not entirely sure of over someone I am sure of that isn't any good.

RedsManRick
09-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Joe Posnanski on Twitter:
Fare thee well Willie Bloomquist, ARP. America's Replacement Player.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 05:27 PM
There's no such thing as a retroactive option. It likely would burn an option in 2011 though, because the odds of him opening the season on the 25 man roster aren't very good.

There actually is such thing. But I double-checked and it only applies to players that are assigned outright after the start of the season and then re-added to the roster during the season. Using Micah Owings for example: if he were re-added to the roster in September, because he spent 20 days in the minors, an option would be used despite the fact he were not on optional assignment and it was done retroactively.

But yes, a player added late in the year for the first time does not apply to that scenario as they were not on the roster to begin with.

lollipopcurve
09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Todd Frazier fits that mold as well,

Bloomquist plays more positions than Frazier and is a better baserunner.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Bloomquist plays more positions than Frazier and is a better baserunner.

Todd can play all the infield spots except catcher and both corner outfield spots. He also can hit the ball out of the infield. We also would have had to give up nothing to acquire him at all.

OnBaseMachine
09-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Wait, so the Reds played short handed for two weeks, then Jocketty decides to acquire another outfielder on the day Jay Bruce returns? On top of that, Jim Edmonds took batting practice today and looked fine according to John Fay. Interesting timing.

Not that I think Del Rosario is a future star or anything, but I would rather have him than Bloomquist.

kaldaniels
09-13-2010, 05:34 PM
lets just be intellectually honest in this debate...del rosario wouldn't be on the 40 after the postseason anyway

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
lets just be intellectually honest in this debate...del rosario wouldn't be on the 40 after the postseason anyway

As I noted elsewhere, I don't know that this is entirely true, and if so, it could be an issue on its own as long as they continue to keep Herrera around over him.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 05:36 PM

Intellectual honesty would take away the fun of complaining for the sake of complaining. Being honest would require a straight face when making some of the aforementioned statements. :D

pedro
09-13-2010, 05:36 PM
YouTube - the sweet - little willy HQ (with lyrics) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmbEuRzlhIs)

North side, east side
Little Willy, Willy wears the crown, he's the king around town
Dancing, glancing
Willy drives them silly with his star shoe shimmy shuffle down
Way past one, and feeling alright
'Cause with little Willy round they can last all night
Hey down, stay down, stay down down

kaldaniels
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
As I noted elsewhere, I don't know that this is entirely true, and if so, it could be an issue on its own as long as they continue to keep Herrera around over him.

would you keep him on the 40 man in the postseason?

Brutus
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM

This is a weird argument. Herrera is a LH specialist option -- the only other one they have on the roster. That's like arguing Del Rosario shouldn't be cut in favor of a third catcher.

Herrera may not be better than Del Rosario, but he's the only other true LHP option they have to use instead of Bray.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 05:38 PM
YouTube - the sweet - little willy HQ (with lyrics) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmbEuRzlhIs)

North side, east side
Little Willy, Willy wears the crown, he's the king around town
Dancing, glancing
Willy drives them silly with his star shoe shimmy shuffle down
Way past one, and feeling alright
'Cause with little Willy round they can last all night
Hey down, stay down, stay down down

That's a tremendous find. I used to hear that song when I was a kid, as my father played it religiously.

Kudos.

bucksfan2
09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Wait, so the Reds played short handed for two weeks, then Jocketty decides to acquire another outfielder on the day Jay Bruce returns? On top of that, Jim Edmonds took batting practice today and looked fine according to John Fay. Interesting timing.

Not that I think Del Rosario is a future star or anything, but I would rather have him than Bloomquist.

Middle relievers are dime a dozen. At this point in the season if WIlly Bloomquist can help the team he is much more valuable that a minor league middle man who has limited value at the major league level. Every minor league system should have multiple guys like Del Rosario.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
This is a weird argument. Herrera is a LH specialist option -- the only other one they have on the roster. That's like arguing Del Rosario shouldn't be cut in favor of a third catcher.

Herrera may not be better than Del Rosario, but he's the only other true LHP option they have to use instead of Bray.

Left handed specialist can be had easily. As for Herrera, lefties hit over .300 against him this past season. I will take my chances at losing that and be just fine with it. I just don't see Herrera as a part of the future, at all. He is a junk baller who got absolutely rocked this year.

And the Reds weren't using Herrera this year. That means they could replace him this offseason or bring up Valiquette to throw 95-97 heat to left handers all game long. It would be one thing if Herrera had some true upside to him, like a Bill Bray, but he doesn't.

johngalt
09-13-2010, 05:45 PM

There's no way Del Rosario would've been kept on the 40-man during the offseason with the guys they need to add. He was going to be DFA'd, whether it was now or in November.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 05:47 PM
There's no way Del Rosario would've been kept on the 40-man during the offseason with the guys they need to add. He was going to be DFA'd, whether it was now or in November.
Who are you adding to the 40 man? Who won't be back no matter what (FA/Retiring)? Now who do you get rid of to add the guys from the first question?

OnBaseMachine
09-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Middle relievers are dime a dozen.

Yeah, but so are guys like Willie Bloomquist.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 05:50 PM

That's why he won't cost a thing, won't expect a thing and won't be star struck by all the bubble gum and sunflower seeds in the dugout of a MLB franchise.

pedro
That's a tremendous find. I used to hear that song when I was a kid, as my father played it religiously.

Kudos.

Yes, they were all upset about that Willie too. We survived those clothes and we'll survive Willie Bloomquist too.

lollipopcurve

Guys who can play infield and OF are less common than middle relievers.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Left handed specialist can be had easily. As for Herrera, lefties hit over .300 against him this past season. I will take my chances at losing that and be just fine with it. I just don't see Herrera as a part of the future, at all. He is a junk baller who got absolutely rocked this year.

And the Reds weren't using Herrera this year. That means they could replace him this offseason or bring up Valiquette to throw 95-97 heat to left handers all game long. It would be one thing if Herrera had some true upside to him, like a Bill Bray, but he doesn't.

If they can be had so easily then why are they using Bill Bray in the first place?

Any position can be had easily. But quality cannot be had so easily. And since a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, better to stick with what you have unless you come up with something clearly better.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes, they were all upset about that Willie too. We survived those clothes and we'll survive Willie Bloomquist too.

We used to listen to this on the record player in the school library next to the gerbil cage, along with the plethora parody songs that were out then (like The Streak)hard to believe they also sang Love is like Oxygen too.

johngalt
09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Who are you adding to the 40 man? Who won't be back no matter what (FA/Retiring)? Now who do you get rid of to add the guys from the first question?

You're gonna have Arredondo, Frazier & Cozart for sure. Then you'll have guys like Dorn, Horst & Negron who are possibilities as well who you could argue would be more valuable to keep than Del Rosario.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
If they can be had so easily then why are they using Bill Bray in the first place?

Any position can be had easily. But quality cannot be had so easily. And since a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, better to stick with what you have unless you come up with something clearly better.
Bill Bray has upside and stuff. He has 25 K's and 9 BB's in 23.1 innings this year. Lefties are hitting .122 off of Bray this season. So my guess would be that they are using Bill Bray because he has some serious talent, especially against lefties.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 05:58 PM
We used to listen to this on the record player in the school library next to the gerbil cage, along with the plethora parody songs that were out then (like The Streak)hard to believe they also sang Love is like Oxygen too.

Fastest man on two feet.
He's just as proud as can be of his anatomy
He's gonna give us a peek

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 06:01 PM
You're gonna have Arredondo, Frazier & Cozart for sure. Then you'll have guys like Dorn, Horst & Negron who are possibilities as well who you could argue would be more valuable to keep than Del Rosario.

So we might have 5 guys in your opinion (they aren't protecting Dorn or he would have already been up here). Rhodes is leaving. Edmonds is leaving. Harang is leaving. Hernandez may be leaving. Lincoln is gone. Springer is gone. Gomes is probably gone. Corky Miller is gone. Rhodes, Edmonds, Harang and Miller for 4 spots that are gone for sure (unless they bring Rhodes back on a new deal, which is possible if he wants to). There isn't as much room needing to be cleared as your post made it sound. There is certainly room for EDR as I would jettison Herrera as well.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Bill Bray has upside and stuff. He has 25 K's and 9 BB's in 23.1 innings this year. Lefties are hitting .122 off of Bray this season. So my guess would be that they are using Bill Bray because he has some serious talent, especially against lefties.

I like Bray, and I think he has some upside, but I don't think he's terribly better right now than Herrera. DRH struggled a bit, but he also had a higher than normal BABIP and had some tough breaks.

Bray's K-rate is better, which is never a bad thing. And I think he gets some undo flack sometimes. But I odn't see the "serious talent" as you describe it.

pedro
09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
So we might have 5 guys in your opinion (they aren't protecting Dorn or he would have already been up here). Rhodes is leaving. Edmonds is leaving. Harang is leaving. Hernandez may be leaving. Lincoln is gone. Springer is gone. Gomes is probably gone. Corky Miller is gone. Rhodes, Edmonds, Harang and Miller for 4 spots that are gone for sure (unless they bring Rhodes back on a new deal, which is possible if he wants to). There isn't as much room needing to be cleared as your post made it sound. There is certainly room for EDR as I would jettison Herrera as well.

Get back to us when he (EDR) is actually on a Major League roster somewhere having success. Until then he's just another fringe guy who got shuffled out of the deck. Hardly worth the angst being put forth.

lollipopcurve
09-13-2010, 06:08 PM
I was not impressed by EDR. Didn't really keep the ball down all that well, and you could tell he was still raw. Not bothered by his leaving the 40-man.

blumj
09-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Is jojo taking this okay?

RedLegSuperStar
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
So Jermaine Dye, Hank Blalock, Garrett Adkins, Joey Gathright, & Cory Sullivan couldn't be called to do the same thing?

I was under the thought the Bruce was more hurt then led to believe until he was put in the lineup today. The way they were talking he would only be able to play a little here and there to allow himself to heal. But we can do better then Willie B right?

johngalt
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Lincoln and Springer are both already "gone" since they're on the 60-day DL, so they're not part of the current 40-man.

Rhodes will be back. I'd be shocked if he isn't. It also wouldn't be surprising if Gomes and/or Hernandez is back.

There's also the fact that the team may sign someone after the World Series and before the Rule 5 draft and also may want to leave a 40-man spot open.

The fact is, seeing as how Del Rosario wasn't called back up at certain points, he was clearly down in the pecking order in regards to young relievers and likely would've been one of the first on the chopping block. In my opinion, it's pretty clear he would've been out of here in November, so why wait.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Get back to us when he (EDR) is actually on a Major League roster somewhere having success. Until then he's just another fringe guy who got shuffled out of the deck. Hardly worth the angst being put forth.

Eh, anytime we cut a player with more talent than someone still on the roster (EDR > DRH), its worth the 'angst' as you put it, because it makes your organization worse, even if just by a little bit. Steps in the wrong direction, even tiny ones, are bad.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Eh, anytime we cut a player with more talent than someone still on the roster (EDR > DRH), its worth the 'angst' as you put it, because it makes your organization worse, even if just by a little bit. Steps in the wrong direction, even tiny ones, are bad.

Del Rosario had a 4.50 FIP this year in Louisville with a 4.39 k/9. Not sure he has any more talent than Herrera.

pedro
09-13-2010, 06:21 PM

And it's just your opinion as to who has more "worth" and believe it or not, it really is just your opinion. Obviously, Jocketty felt differently, and, at least to some, his opinion holds some validity as well. Either way, spending too much time wringing your hands over fringe relievers is a waste of time.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Del Rosario had a 4.50 FIP this year in Louisville with a 4.39 k/9. Not sure he has any more talent than Herrera.

I feel pretty confident in saying he does. You don't have to agree with me, but I have full confidence in myself when I say that he does.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 06:24 PM
I feel pretty confident in saying he does. You don't have to agree with me, but I have full confidence in myself when I say that he does.

And a whole lot of people feel differently. Apparently the Reds do.

I don't believe everything they do is right, but there are a lot of things to justify their decision on this.

pedro
09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
oh, the sin of pride and the hubris of youth.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Rolen trade confident?

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Rolen trade confident?

Yeah.... still feel the same way about the Rolen trade as I did when it happened. We overpaid, but I still am happy to have Scott Rolen. Just wish we didn't pay as much as we did for a guy forcing a trade with a bad back and 1.2 years on his deal.

Also, not sure at all what ones opinion on one trade has to do with another. Walt also thought Willy Taveras was a good idea. And Aaron Miles. So next time, instead of trying to take some sort of 'shot' like you were, don't. It is a waste of time for the both of us.

johngalt
09-13-2010, 06:34 PM
I can't believe acquiring Willie Bloomquist and jettisoning Enerio Del Rosario is such a hot topic with the Reds in the midst of a playoff drive. Unreal.

OldXOhio
09-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Willie Harris must've been off the market.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I can't believe acquiring Willie Bloomquist and jettisoning Enerio Del Rosario is such a hot topic with the Reds in the midst of a playoff drive. Unreal.

Passion for the Reds + making an actual move = hot topic.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah.... still feel the same way about the Rolen trade as I did when it happened. We overpaid, but I still am happy to have Scott Rolen. Just wish we didn't pay as much as we did for a guy forcing a trade with a bad back and 1.2 years on his deal.

This is a results oriented business. The Reds actually paid a pretty reasonable amount for what they're getting from Rolen, especially when you consider the Blue Jays were trying to give away Encarnacion, Roenicke got demoted because he couldn't throw strikes at the big league level and Zack Stewart is still toiling in AA.

If that's overpaying, I hope the Reds overpay on every deal they ever make.

johngalt
09-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Passion for the Reds + making an actual move = hot topic.

I guess. Just seems like peanuts to get worked up over.

pedro
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Also, not sure at all what ones opinion on one trade has to do with another. Walt also thought Willy Taveras was a good idea. And Aaron Miles. So next time, instead of trying to take some sort of 'shot' like you were, don't. It is a waste of time for the both of us.

We all have opinions, I think the point is that a little humility goes a long way and often is as important as self assuredness in establishing credibility.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 06:41 PM
We all have opinions, I think the point is that a little humility goes a long way and often is as important as self assuredness in establishing credibility.

Well when I feel that I was incorrect about it, I will change my tune. Until then, I will remain in my stance that the Reds overpaid for a player with a long injury history in his mid 30's who was forcing his way to a team in the midwest. Agree with me or not, I don't really care as it is my opinion and not yours. But I don't care much for your opinion on my humility or credibility because you disagree with me. So next time, just leave that stuff out of it, because it isn't relevant to the conversation at hand in the slightest.

PuffyPig
09-13-2010, 06:42 PM

In hindsight, we underpaid.

If Rolen was on the Cards all year, and we had "whatever" playing third like they do, we would be 6 games out instead of 6 games in front.

pedro
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Well when I feel that I was incorrect about it, I will change my tune. Until then, I will remain in my stance that the Reds overpaid for a player with a long injury history in his mid 30's who was forcing his way to a team in the midwest. Agree with me or not, I don't really care as it is my opinion and not yours. But I don't care much for your opinion on my humility or credibility because you disagree with me. So next time, just leave that stuff out of it, because it isn't relevant to the conversation at hand in the slightest.

Actually, as you have, in my opinion, the long habit of stating your "opinion" as unassailable "fact" it does have everything to do with the conversation at hand and as long as you couch your arguments as such you should expect others to react accordingly. It comes with the territory.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 06:45 PM

If Rolen was on the Cards all year, and we had "whatever" playing third like they do, we would be 6 games out instead of 6 games in front.

And if Pujols were a Red we would have clinched already. Neither happened or ever was going to happen. Lets get back to Willie Bloomquist.

camisadelgolf
09-13-2010, 06:46 PM
How can you confidently say the Reds overpaid? You're implying they could've gotten Rolen with something less than Stewart, but the report was that the Blue Jays absolutely refused to make a deal unless it included Zach Stewart. In fact, because the Reds took so long to agree to include him, the deal almost didn't happen thanks to some issues with the Blue Jays' fax machine.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Actually, as you have, in my opinion, the long habit of stating your "opinion" as unassailable "fact" it does have everything to do with the conversation at hand and as long as you couch your arguments as such you should expect others to react accordingly. It comes with the territory.

Yep, in an attempt to claim authority all incidents of prior claims fall into the bucket, otherwise one must take the others claim at face value.

It's called reputation, everyone has one, and often it's made from what one has to say about a subject.

Brutus

The problem is that Doug has, apparently, a much higher opinion of Stewart than most, and because of his valuation of Stewart, still agonizes the Reds gave him up.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1938341&highlight=young+stewart#post1938341

Zach Stewart will win a Cy Young for Toronto. Bank on it. Seriously.

Even if Stewart lives up to the enormous expectations you set for him, I'd argue after 15 years of not getting to the playoffs, the price is well worth it. For 15 years everyone simply wanted to finally break the losing and get back into postseason relevance. Scott Rolen allowed them to do that. Even if it cost them a future Cy Young, which is extremely unlikely, it's worth the price.

EDIT: and to be fair, Doug did back down from that comment a bit after it was made. But I do believe it's worth the price even if it ever happens.

dougdirt

No, I would expect others to tell me why my opinion if wrong, such as the way Brutus has done. By suggesting why I am wrong with what he believes to be true and why he believes such things. Not 'well you thought this and I still think you are wrong, so therefore you are wrong now on this entirely different subject'.

TRF
09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Willie Bloomquist

well, he does have a pulse.

I'm not going to complain, as it is another body in the OF. I'd have preferred Wlad or Dorn, especially Dorn (crushes RH's, and hit LH's pretty well this year too.) but being down to two health OF's, with one of them being Stubbs (toos streaky to be counted on) ain't good.

20 games left right? I can live with it for 20 games.

_Sir_Charles_
09-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Isn't Balentien injured? Everyone keeps bringing him up but I thought he was done for the season.

PuffyPig
09-13-2010, 06:51 PM
And if Pujols were a Red we would have clinched already. Neither happened or ever was going to happen. Lets get back to Willie Bloomquist.

I believe it was you who brought Rolen into the discussion.

johngalt
09-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I believe it was you who brought Rolen into the discussion.

I'm pretty sure it was WOY.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Isn't Balentien injured? Everyone keeps bringing him up but I thought he was done for the season.

Not quite. He played the final 4 games of the playoffs for the Bats, but didn't play in the field. It isn't really known at this point whether he can or can't play in the field, because of the injury he is coming back from. So its a gray area in terms of why didn't they go with Wlad.

_Sir_Charles_
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Yep, I just saw that he got reinstated back on the 9th. I missed that earlier. Thanks Doug.

westofyou
09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it was WOY.

Yes it was, mostly because I don't believe in absolutes when dealing with granular arguments, especially when it's prefaced with.. I would have... and then trumpeted as truth in its purest form.

It's the one reason I can't stand to read Joe Sheehan.

johngalt
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Yes it was, mostly because I don't believe in absolutes when dealing with granular arguments, especially when it's prefaced with.. I would have... and then trumpeted as truth in its purest form.

It's the one reason I can't stand to read Joe Sheehan.

No argument there at all.

kaldaniels
09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Doug, you do more legwork regarding the minors than anyone on here and we all respect that. But look at your position today.. You are arguing pretty strongly that letting DelR. go for Willie is foolish. But you won't look at the big picture with common sense and acknowledge after the season he would be gone anyway. And if that's something you overlooked...big deal - change your tune and move on...but instead your support today of Del Rosario will follow you as he continues his career.

Mario-Rijo
09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
IMO The Bloomquist deal isn't a bad thing, he's basically a Cairo clone who can run a bit better. I don't have alot of faith in the aternatives, I'd like to see Dorn get his shot but short of that I'm down with Willie B. (And at this point I'd rather see Frazier take some time off for what is it the pan am games).

Question though, isn't there a chance he could make it onto the playoff roster? Say if Edmonds or Nix end up on the 60 day? I realize Fay made mention of Edmonds looking ok but who really knows, Bruce was supposed to be back 3 or 4 different times according to him and his contacts.

Oh and like someone else stated I think the real story here is Burton back up he could be a big help.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Doug, you do more legwork regarding the minors than anyone on here and we all respect that. But look at your position today.. You are arguing pretty strongly that letting DelR. go for Willie is foolish. But you won't look at the big picture with common sense and acknowledge after the season he would be gone anyway. And if that's something you overlooked...big deal - change your tune and move on...but instead your support today of Del Rosario will follow you as he continues his career.

I get the big picture, which is why I am confused by todays moves. I don't get Bloomquist over Frazier or releasing EDR over DRH. Neither move makes much sense to me other than Bloomquist is a vet and Frazier isn't. DRH still being on the 40 man over EDR isn't going to make sense to me. He is a junk ball pitcher who got by for a while because he had something no one had seen in a while. Now that guys have seen him, they had been teeing off on him.

Mario-Rijo
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM

He's arguing no such thing, he's arguing that if anyone Herrera should go and I for one agree with him. Del Rosario has a chance, Herrera has none in his and my opinion. And though it may just be semantics as neither could turn out to be worth a thing you don't take chances on a guy who has a shot when you have a guy there who has no real value at all. I agree with Doug in that even a little bit of value is worth something.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 07:15 PM
He's arguing no such thing, he's arguing that if anyone Herrera should go and I for one agree with him. Del Rosario has a chance, Herrera has none in his and my opinion. And though it may just be semantics as neither could turn out to be worth a thing you don't take chances on a guy who has a shot when you have a guy there who has no real value at all. I agree with Doug in that even a little bit of value is worth something.

In their professional careers, DRH has a better strikeout and walk rate than Del Rosario.

Mario-Rijo
09-13-2010, 07:17 PM
In their professional careers, DRH has a better strikeout and walk rate than Del Rosario.

That doesn't tell the whole story Brutus as you know. Carlos Guevera probably has a better K, BB or K to BB than Logan Ondrusek.

johngalt
09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Question though, isn't there a chance he could make it onto the playoff roster? Say if Edmonds or Nix end up on the 60 day? I realize Fay made mention of Edmonds looking ok but who really knows, Bruce was supposed to be back 3 or 4 different times according to him and his contacts.

Bloomquist is not playoff eligible. A player had to be in the organization by Aug. 31 to be eligible to replace a DL player.

_Sir_Charles_
09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
I get the big picture, which is why I am confused by todays moves. I don't get Bloomquist over Frazier or releasing EDR over DRH. Neither move makes much sense to me other than Bloomquist is a vet and Frazier isn't. DRH still being on the 40 man over EDR isn't going to make sense to me. He is a junk ball pitcher who got by for a while because he had something no one had seen in a while. Now that guys have seen him, they had been teeing off on him.

Personally, I don't think hitters were "teeing off on him" because they'd seen him. I think it had more to do with Danny struggling with his location.

HokieRed
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Agree 100% here. I'd have much rather seen DRH go. But he's probably next anyway.

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Personally, I don't think hitters were "teeing off on him" because they'd seen him. I think it had more to do with Danny struggling with his location.

That could be it too.... I guess chalk it up to my lack of trust in his 'stuff'. I guess we won't really know until we know as for why guys were crushing him.

blumj
09-13-2010, 07:23 PM
IMO The Bloomquist deal isn't a bad thing, he's basically a Cairo clone who can run a bit better. I don't have alot of faith in the aternatives, I'd like to see Dorn get his shot but short of that I'm down with Willie B.

Oh and like someone else stated I think the real story here is Burton back up he could be a big help.

No, there's no way he could end up on a postseason roster, that would be the exact, and really the only, situation the eligibility rules are intended to prevent.

IslandRed
09-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Agree 100% here. I'd have much rather seen DRH go. But he's probably next anyway.

Yeah, I wouldn't have put a dollar on either of them being on the 40-man come spring training, but I could be wrong.

Brutus
09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
That doesn't tell the whole story Brutus as you know. Carlos Guevera probably has a better K, BB or K to BB than Logan Ondrusek.

You're right. Nothing ever tells the whole story. But I haven't seen very much to suggest Del Rosario has much else going for him. He's a middle reliever that doesn't miss many bats at all. That's not really in demand.

Gallen5862
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
What are the odds that Enerio Del Rosario makes it through waivers? Would this be a better time then trying to get him through waivers at a later date?

Gallen5862
09-13-2010, 07:52 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

D'Backs Designate Cesar Valdez For Assignment

The Diamondbacks designated right-hander Cesar Valdez for assignment to make room for catcher Konrad Schmidt, according to a team press release. Valdez, a 25-year-old righty, struggled through 20 innings for the D'Backs this year in his first season at the major league level. He posted a 5.90 ERA in 97.2 Triple A innings in what was likely the worst minor league season of his pro career. One bright spot for Valdez: 8.5 K/9, a career high.

pedro
09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
What are the odds that Enerio Del Rosario makes it through waivers? Would this be a better time then trying to get him through waivers at a later date?

I'll posit another question.

What are the chances that a 165 lb 25 year old RH middle reliever with a career minor league K/9 of less than 5 ever spends an appreciable amount of time on any teams 25 man major roster, let alone the Reds?

edit: on second look the under 5 K/9 is in the high minors, but it's still around 6 which isn't all that impressive.

Gallen5862
09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Would a Enerio Del Rosario for Cesar Valdez work? That way both teams can get something. What does anyone think?

corkedbat
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
The way this team has been struggling, if Bruce were healthy, I'd be tempted to give Alonso a start or two in LF against RHers. Of course, Gomes hasn't really been struggling at the bat.

backbencher
09-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Bloomquist over Frazier because the team is more interested in the glove and legs than the bat. The team isn't likely to run out of PHs (even if most are lefties). It does need fielders and runners, though.

DRH stays over EDR for one of three reasons: (a) he was more tradeable and the team already has a deal worked out for him; (b) it is more likely to get EDR through waivers now rather than after the season [probbly true] or (c) DRH sits is Arthur Rhodes's spot on the roster. If Arthur comes back, DRH may go. Until Rhodes is back, though, the team wants another lefty arm. It probably tells us a bit about the team's thoughts on Valiquette, as well (i.e., not ready for prime time).

mth123
09-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Like this move. The Reds internal choices were Sappelt, Balentien, Dorn and Frazier.

First, as has been stated, Sappelt would be burning a spot on the 40 man a year too soon which leaves one less spot for somebody else prior to rule 5 and makes him burn an option in 2011 unecessarily. He was never really an option for those reasons IMO.

Second, the legend of Wlad's defense continues to grow for no real reason that I can see. Prior to his cannonization by Redszone, Wlad was pretty much considered Gomesesque with a glove on his hand and Bloomquist is clearly a better defender and runner.

Dorn is a guy I would like to see get a chance someday, but he's also a poor defender. If the Reds were going to go with another poor defender who hits lefty, we'd probably have seen Alonso or Francisco get a shot during this shorthanded period. I think the Reds wanted better defense than Dorn can offer.

Frazier made the most sense, since he needs to be added after the season anyway. I think Frazier can play all the IF spots and the OF corners, but Wille can play a little CF if need be, is probably better than Frazier at both 2B and SS and offers a running option that Frazier simply does not. Given the needs of this team, at this point in time, Bloomquist seems a better fit IMO. Hopefully Bruce (who just homered), Edmonds and Nix all get well and Bloomquist sits at the end of the bench, pinch runs and plays defensive caddy to Gomes and not much more, but he provides the depth this team needed better that the other guys IMO. Besides, Frazier had a pretty poor year and I think the organization should make a call-up a reward for performance and Frazier didn't really earn one IMO.

As for the DFA of EDR, so long. You won't be missed IMO (and I'm guessing will be going as the PTBNL). Its also possible you'll be back at AAA next year without occupying a spot on the 40 man roster. I don't really want to see DRH or EDR on the Reds mound again, but given his lefty change of pace intrigue, its possible that DRH may have value as a trade throw in at some point and even though I prefer EDR (ever so slightly) as a pitcher, DRH probably has more value. Either choice would have been fine by me.

Redsfan320
09-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Since I just found out and would rather not read through 11 pages, how the heck did they get him? The waiver deadline has passed. Was he DFA'd?

Brutus
09-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Since I just found out and would rather not read through 11 pages, how the heck did they get him? The waiver deadline has passed. Was he DFA'd?

Trade for cash/future considerations

blumj
09-13-2010, 10:12 PM

You can still trade anyone who's cleared waivers or isn't on a 40 man roster, you just can't use them in the postseason.

Redsfan320
09-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks BtP, blumj.

gm
09-14-2010, 12:26 AM
This move is on par with Bob Quinn acquiring Billy Doran in September, 1990

(yes, I'm kidding)

Does anyone know if Bloomquist can get the 27th out in a close game?

Big Klu
09-14-2010, 01:12 AM
This move is on par with Bob Quinn acquiring Billy Doran in September, 1990

(yes, I'm kidding)

Does anyone know if Bloomquist can get the 27th out in a close game?

Doran was acquired on August 30, and would have been eligible for the postseason if he had been healthy.

This move is more in line with Quinn's acquisition of Alex Treviño on September 7, 1990. Joe Oliver was nursing a minor injury at the time, so Jeff Reed was handling the bulk of the catching duties. Terry McGriff had been traded to the Astros in the Doran deal, so Reed's only backup was untested rookie Glenn Sutko. Quinn wanted a veteran backup for Reed, so he claimed Treviño off waivers from the Mets. The point turned out to be moot, as Oliver returned to action a couple of days later. But Treviño delivered a few clutch pinch-hits over the final month.

kaldaniels
09-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Doran was acquired on August 30, and would have been eligible for the postseason if he had been healthy.

This move is more in line with Quinn's acquisition of Alex Treviño on September 7, 1990. Joe Oliver was nursing a minor injury at the time, so Jeff Reed was handling the bulk of the catching duties. Terry McGriff had been traded to the Astros in the Doran deal, so Reed's only backup was untested rookie Glenn Sutko. Quinn wanted a veteran backup for Reed, so he claimed Treviño off waivers from the Mets. The point turned out to be moot, as Oliver returned to action a couple of days later. But Treviño delivered a few clutch pinch-hits over the final month.

You are good.

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 09:07 AM
BTW, I like this. We could use an extra body to play OF.

jojo
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
You all realize that Bloomquist is going to have a walk off single in the final game of the world series this year don't you?

camisadelgolf
09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
You all realize that Bloomquist is going to have a walk off single in the final game of the world series this year don't you?
I know you're being tongue-in-cheek, but I just want to make sure that you know Bloomquist isn't playoff eligible.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-14-2010, 11:26 AM
As for the DFA of EDR, so long. You won't be missed IMO (and I'm guessing will be going as the PTBNL). Its also possible you'll be back at AAA next year without occupying a spot on the 40 man roster.

I echo this. EDR was a boatload of meh. We have several pitchers down on the farm that made him expendable.

I was surprised he hung onto the 40-man this long.

Joseph
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
I echo this. EDR was a boatload of meh. We have several pitchers down on the farm that made him expendable.

I was surprised he hung onto the 40-man this long.

Agreed, I saw him multiple times in AAA and of course Cincy and he was just not anything to get worked up over.

REDREAD
09-14-2010, 01:07 PM

It wasn't a move to upgrade the team.. It's a bandaid to give us some OF depth..

At this point, I trust Walt's judgement. I'm not really worried about Dorn or some other minor leaguer getting "screwed".. If I recall, Dorn was once exposed and no other team in the majors wanted him.. so the consensus among GMs seems to be that he's not that good.

dougdirt
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
It wasn't a move to upgrade the team.. It's a bandaid to give us some OF depth..

At this point, I trust Walt's judgement. I'm not really worried about Dorn or some other minor leaguer getting "screwed".. If I recall, Dorn was once exposed and no other team in the majors wanted him.. so the consensus among GMs seems to be that he's not that good.

At the same time, neither is Willy Bloomquist, but we just gave up something for him. The difference is, we know Bloomquist isn't good, people just think that Dorn won't carry over his minor league success.

In the end, it is just a move I don't get. Apparently Bruce has been saying he is ready for 3 days now. So the day they let him play, they get an extra outfielder who is not going to provide anything that Chris Heisey won't at this point as a back up. Just a confusing move IMO.

REDREAD
09-14-2010, 01:18 PM

But most of those guys leaving are likely to be replaced with major leaguers
ie. Corky, Hernandez, Rhodes, Gomes. More minor leaguers need to be protected.. It's part of the cycle.. every year, ML clubs need to clear some chaff off the 40 man roster.

I don't see the hand wringing over whether to keep Del Rosa or Herrera.. In the end, both of them stink, so might as well keep the lefty.

That could be it too.... I guess chalk it up to my lack of trust in his 'stuff'. I guess we won't really know until we know as for why guys were crushing him.

Lack of talent by Danny Rae Harrera.. When he first came up, he was a bit of a novelty. Now everyone has seen his tape. There's a reason why there hasn't been many successful ML pitchers with a 78 MPH fastball (or whatever DRH throws).

If DRH was right handed, he would've never gotten an opportunity to pitch in the big leagues.

DRH or Del Rosia.. flip a coin.. neither is worth agonizing over.

REDREAD
09-14-2010, 01:28 PM

REDREAD
09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
At the same time, neither is Willy Bloomquist, but we just gave up something for him. The difference is, we know Bloomquist isn't good, people just think that Dorn won't carry over his minor league success.

In the end, it is just a move I don't get. Apparently Bruce has been saying he is ready for 3 days now. So the day they let him play, they get an extra outfielder who is not going to provide anything that Chris Heisey won't at this point as a back up. Just a confusing move IMO.

I don't see it.. Bloomquist is going to cost us a little cash or a nonconsequential prospect, because as you have pointed out, Bloomquist is just not that good.

This team is really hurting for position player depth now. Someone that can run and catch the ball has real value now. Bloomquist was not acquired for his bat. From reading this thread, it seems like Bloomquist is a better glove and runner than any of the AAA options, so it makes sense to get him.

Bench depth is important, especially when the team has nagging injuries.. Why not do this move, if it only costs us Del Rosia and something else inconsequential..

Are you confident that Del Rosia would be a contributor in the major leagues in the next 2 years? Because that's the only way I can see "We paid too much" making any sense.

redsmetz
09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Well it's good to see RZ is in playoff-ready form. Twelve pages on a minor, late season help trade.

Do keep in mind though, the Reds have not lost since Bloomquist was acquired.

oneupper
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Not THAT confusing, IMO. They were hedging their bets against Bruce re-injuring his side, which could have happened once he went back to playing. So they did something BEFORE hitting the road Friday.
If Bruce would have taken some swings last night and found out he wasn't ready to return. Dusty was facing a 9 game road trip with 3 OFs again.

If Bloomquist doesn't have to play, he won't. At least that's the way I see it.

Edit: Heisey is banged up, too.

backbencher
09-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Dorn and Bloomquist are completely different. Bloomquist is a late-inning defensive caddy and, after a clinch, a guy who can rotate around the diamond giving every single player a day off. Dorn, on the 2010 Reds, is a LH pinch hitter. There already are two others like him on the big league roster already.

The team also arguably thought that it would be easier to protect Dorn from Rule 5 than it would be if he had to pass through waivers. Not necessarily a big difference, I acknowledge, but one that pretty clearly seems to be the Reds' thought.

I'm also not sure that Dorn's ML translations are the reason that he wasn't taken in Rule 5 last year (and may not be taken this year). As the Mariners showed in early 2010, it's tough to build a team if there is no roster flexibility at the end of the bench. No one wants to build their offense around a Rule 5 first baseman, and in the age of 12- and 13-man pitching staffs it takes extraordinary roster flexibility elsewhere to carry a backup 1B/LF on their roster for the full year.

dougdirt
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Dorn and Bloomquist are completely different. Bloomquist is a late-inning defensive caddy and, after a clinch, a guy who can rotate around the diamond giving every single player a day off. Dorn, on the 2010 Reds, is a LH pinch hitter. There already are two others like him on the big league roster already.

The team also arguably thought that it would be easier to protect Dorn from Rule 5 than it would be if he had to pass through waivers. Not necessarily a big difference, I acknowledge, but one that pretty clearly seems to be the Reds' thought.

I'm also not sure that Dorn's ML translations are the reason that he wasn't taken in Rule 5 last year (and may not be taken this year). As the Mariners showed in early 2010, it's tough to build a team if there is no roster flexibility at the end of the bench. No one wants to build their offense around a Rule 5 first baseman, and in the age of 12- and 13-man pitching staffs it takes extraordinary roster flexibility elsewhere to carry a backup 1B/LF on their roster for the full year.

I get that the two are completely different players. I just don't see what Bloomquist brings that Heisey doesn't at this point other than back up infield, which we won't need unless we have multiple injuries. That is why the move in confusing, Bruce has been saying he was ready for 3 days, so the Reds clearly knew it and knew Heisey was heading back to the bench.

lollipopcurve
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Well said.

I'm kind of surprised these concepts seem to elude so many hardcore observers.

TRF
09-14-2010, 02:43 PM
All Danny Dorn does is hit. He hits wherever he goes. He's got split issues yes, but in 75% of his AB's, he's a .960 OPS beast.

I don't care about possibly losing Del Rosario (BTW, my pet peeve is misspelling a player's name. No offense intended, but take 2 seconds to look it up. it's worse than spelling losing 'loosing'.) I don't care that the Reds added Bloomquist. It's a meh move for a little added depth with an expanded roster. I get completely why Sappelt wasn't chosen, and we don't have enough information on Wlad to know if he's really healthy enough. And no one wants to see Cairo in RF again. brrr.

Del Rosario is an odd pitcher. Throws hard, very hard, but doesn't K a lot of guys. Low ERA this year, mostly luck. Very high WHIP. Decent AAA numbers, but the lack of K's is just odd. I'd rather have DRH.

Really though... why does anyone care. EDR was not high on the pen depth chart, and Dorn doesn't fit the defense minded FO.

RedsManRick
09-14-2010, 03:15 PM
In a way, this is classic Jocketty. Never let inconsequential players get in the way of improving the major league roster. The Reds felt they needed another utility guy to protect them in the event of an injury and to give them a decent pinch runner who's bat they wouldn't miss if they burned him early. Del Rosario probably was going to be losing his 40 man spot in 2 months anyways. Make the move. Don't look back. The end.

osuceltic
09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
All Danny Dorn does is hit. He hits wherever he goes. He's got split issues yes, but in 75% of his AB's, he's a .960 OPS beast.

I don't care about possibly losing Del Rosario (BTW, my pet peeve is misspelling a player's name. No offense intended, but take 2 seconds to look it up. it's worse than spelling losing 'loosing'.) I don't care that the Reds added Bloomquist. It's a meh move for a little added depth with an expanded roster. I get completely why Sappelt wasn't chosen, and we don't have enough information on Wlad to know if he's really healthy enough. And no one wants to see Cairo in RF again. brrr.

Del Rosario is an odd pitcher. Throws hard, very hard, but doesn't K a lot of guys. Low ERA this year, mostly luck. Very high WHIP. Decent AAA numbers, but the lack of K's is just odd. I'd rather have DRH.

Really though... why does anyone care. EDR was not high on the pen depth chart, and Dorn doesn't fit the defense minded FO.

Let's hope no one on the board has a problem with poor punctuation.

TRF
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM

thppt!

It's not overall spelling. i don't care when someone spells the 'teh'. woy does that all the time. :)

I just think if we are discussing a player it'd be nice to know the guy's name.

and geez it was just one comma. :cool:

jojo
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM

:p:

oneupper
09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
thppt!

I just think if we are discussing a player it'd be nice to know the guy's name.

D'Angelo Jiménez likes this :thumbup:
Oneupper doesn't care. :D

Puffy
09-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I like the Wily Blumquest acquisition.

Puffy
09-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I am, however, disappointed with kept Heirreirra and let go DelpRosano.

Puffy
09-14-2010, 06:29 PM
But we still have Johny Queto so its all good.

BCubb2003
09-14-2010, 06:39 PM
If I had a dollar for every time one of us referred to Carl Linder, I could have bought the Reds. But sadly, we no longer have Joe Nuxhall talking about Edwin Encarceration.

Seriously though, the Reds.sign Bloomquist then have their first winning season in 10 years. Coincidence? I think not.

_Sir_Charles_
09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
LOL. Well played Puffy. :)

REDREAD
09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
D'Angelo Jiménez likes this :thumbup:

:lol: I'm not sure I ever learned how to spell that guy's name.

deltachi8
09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Trent just tweeted (that's just an odd thing to type) that the Reds received Cash from Houston for Del Rosario.

Also now reported by the Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/7203741.html

blumj
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
A player of Bloomquist's talents can't expect many accolades while active, but when the book on his career is closed, Bloomquist might be the best living, breathing example of a replacement-level player we can offer up to the unconverted. Wins above Bloomquist, anyone?

Check the first comment, by Tango: WOW >>> WAB, no?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=12004

camisadelgolf
10-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Are any of the people who were freaking out still freaking out?