PDA

View Full Version : BOTH Jay Bruce Homers were hit to me last night! PICS

Grounds_Crew
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Perhaps you saw me on tv … if not, here’s the story:

Last night, my buddy Jerret and I decided to grab some last minute tickets to the Reds vs Diamondbacks game. As we were walking to our seats, my buddy said, “Hey…have you ever caught a foul ball or even a homerun while at a game?” I told him that I had not, and that I would never be THAT lucky. About 15 minutes later, we were sitting in our seats. The section we were in was pretty empty and we were the only two people in our row (the last row in front of the power stacks). Jay Bruce came up to bat and I said to my buddy, “hey…speaking of homeruns, Bruce has missed 12 straight games. It would be so cool if he hit a couple tonight.”

The very next swing, Bruce launched a ball off of his bat that looked like it was coming right at me. I told me buddy, “DUUUDE…that’s all me”!

The ball landed a few feet from me and I snatched it up as fast as I could! I couldn’t believe it. I got a freakin’ homerun ball only a few minutes after my buddy and I were discussing the chances of that happening. Below, you’ll see the first picture of me holding the FIRST homerun ball.

In Jay Bruce’s very next at bat, my buddy yelled out … “BRUCE…hit one in the same spot”. Yea right….right? He did it again. Another ball shot off of his bat and was coming directly at me. It landed in the same exact spot (same seat a few feet from me). My buddy tried to grab it but I had it in my hand. Just as I was standing up with the ball in my hand…I dropped it because the guy in front of me was still fighting for it. He snatched it from me and held it up to celebrate! Man, how could I miss that one! But…I’m incredibly satisfied knowing that I grabbed two of Jay Bruce’s homeruns (even if it WAS taken from me)…in the same game…in the same seats! Back to back homers!

The second picture below shows a screen shot of me on tv grabbing the 2nd homerun. A friend at home paused his TV with DVR and took that picture with his cell phone.

The third picture shows the guy that snatched the 2nd homerun ball. We figured we’d at least high-five the rare occurrence and celebrate by taking a picture together! I’m pumped…after all of these years and after tons of games attended…I finally caught one…but my story will always be that I caught them both!

Sorry for the long story, but this has to be one of the very few times in MLB history for a guy to catch two homers from the same player during the same game!

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd444/justinjerdon23/Ball1.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd444/justinjerdon23/Ball2.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd444/justinjerdon23/Ball3.jpg

mroby85
09-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Thats awesome! congrats! lol

mattfeet
09-14-2010, 01:31 PM
You're welcome for that screen-grab. ;) I got a ball on Sat night tossed to me by the Pirates 3rd base coach between innings. Not nearly as exciting, but still cool!

-Matt

New York Red
09-14-2010, 02:04 PM
LOL ... great story. And great pics! :beerme:

ian_madden
09-15-2010, 11:25 AM
You left out the most important part of the story. The 1st homer (the one that you have) hit off that dude's face. If not for that dude completely missing that ball we don't have this story. I am the guy with the other ball. You have career homer #60 and I have career homer #61. What are the odds that we both members of redszone. And in my mind I had both balls, I "let you have the 1st one" ;)

GO REDS!!!!!

TheBigLebowski
09-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Awesome.

A guy I know is stationed in South Africa and is a huge soccer fan. He went to all the US games at the World Cup. Right after Landon Donovan scored his decisive goal against Algeria and the game ended, someone punted the ball into the stands, into his waiting arms. I can't even imagine how much money he could get for it on ebay, but I and others have convinced him not to sell it.

Link to the video of the goal - still gives me chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=RyxMp8Sxaxc&feature=related

I think I will actually get to see the ball in 2 weeks.

DaytonFlyer
09-15-2010, 12:58 PM
I thought those HR's were hit pretty close together. I guess I was right.

Although this thread would've been funnier if Grounds Crew had called ian madden a jerk on here or something.

AWA85
09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Time to put em up on ebay :D As a huge Reds game used collector, I'd bite!

mlh1981
09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Sounds like some Zack Hample stuff :thumbup:

redssince75
09-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Sorry for the long story, but this has to be one of the very few times in MLB history for a guy to catch two homers from the same player during the same game!

The story & pics were cool. Now, let the semantic debate on the meaning of "catch" begin......

:thumbup:

skywalker
09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
NICE

Bigg Red Smokey
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Baseball fan law 254-A states:

"If you drop a home-run or foul ball before securing it and holding it up for the rest of the crowd and the video cameras to verify your possession of said ball then you did not in fact ever possess the ball to begin with."

Just for fun....

254-B states:

"If you dodge a ball hit in to the stands and it either A. spills your beer or B. hits your wife/girlfriend, then you will be cursed and not score for at least seven days.However if you dodge the ball to allow it to strike the annoying Cardinals fan behind you in the Matty Mo jersey then you are to be granted seven consecutive days of good fortune."

ian_madden
09-17-2010, 01:37 AM
I agree that neither of us "caught" the ball. But we both have possession of the ball in which case we have a story and proof of the story. Now the real loser in the story is the guy who got hit in the face with the 1st homer. It was the kid in the green shirt with the shaggy hair, in the photo above. That kid not only did not catch the ball but it blasted him in the face and he didn't end up with the ball. I'll take the wrestling on the ground over letting the ball hit off my face and not taking it home any day.

jhc2010
09-20-2010, 02:27 AM
this has to be one of the very few times in MLB history for a guy to catch two homers from the same player during the same game!
There was a day game last year where a kid in left field definitely caught two home run balls and there was a third just seats away. Anyone remember this? He was wearing a red shirt with a lightning bolt on it.