PDA

View Full Version : 2011 schedule

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Starting on a Thursday for us against Milwaukee.. from Reds.com.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cin&m=4&y=2011

WVRed
09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
You mean 2011?

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 08:05 PM
2011, duh. Wow. Haste makes waste.

Brutus
09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
The Reds play one of only five openers on Thursday, while everyone else starts on Friday.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_16075237?nclick_check=1

Chip R
09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Thursday? What happened to Friday?

Brutus
09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Thursday? What happened to Friday?

See my post :)

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
We get Toronto again, but I do recall the broadcasters saying at one point Baltimore is the only team we've never played in IL, and we get to now.

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
We got 3 in Tampa Bay too. :eek:

Chip R
09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
See my post :)

I did but starting on Thursday is stupid.

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 08:12 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100914&content_id=14659090&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Wow, I miss opening day, can't wait. School almost being out, the weather heating up, I LOVE April baseball. Don't get me wrong, the playoffs are gonna be GREAT, but there's nothing like opening day. I can't wait. Sorry, just openly thinking,

Homer Bailey
09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
No Reds baseball in the windy city until August. Only come this way twice. Just awesome.

Brutus
09-14-2010, 08:17 PM

I don't think it is. The Reds and teams will sell out regardless. By having games two and three on the weekend, they may sell out those games or close.

The Thursday thing is just a way to start a few games earlier and still have the next day in case of rain (or snow) out.

Ghosts of 1990
09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Wish we were startig on a Friday myself but I'll just have to deal with it. We get a chance for all eyes on us that day... Hopefully getting jewlrey ;)

Matt700wlw
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Yankess in town next June!

SandyD
09-14-2010, 08:54 PM
For out of towners, Thursday is a great day for OD. Package it with a nice weekend vacation in the city.

Degenerate39
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Good lord how many times do they play the Brewers

membengal
09-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Three in Baltimore!!!! Come to membengal!

Matt700wlw
09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Three in Baltimore!!!! Come to membengal!

First time for the Reds at Camden Yards

vaticanplum
09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, my 2011 baseball tour is half-arranged already. I love it when the Reds make it easy for me.

HeatherC1212
09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
We get Toronto again, but I do recall the broadcasters saying at one point Baltimore is the only team we've never played in IL, and we get to now.

No, the Reds just haven't been to Camden Yards yet. They played the O's back in 2005 so they have faced them in IL play. I'm kicking myself that I didn't attend any of those games at GABP back then. :(

And I'm all ready planning my trip to Baltimore in June which is going to be awesome. Those of you who haven't been to Camden Yards yet should seriously considering going there next season. Gorgeous ballpark, great fans, and the Inner Harbor area is really cool too. :D

Tornon
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Is something screwed up with the mlb.com schedule then? It shows us starting on a Saturday

Chip R
09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Is something screwed up with the mlb.com schedule then? It shows us starting on a Saturday

You have to look in March.

Tornon
09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
You have to look in March.

Ahh, thanks. It was hiding down there the first time I saw March

HeatherC1212
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Did anyone else notice that the Reds are getting two west coast road trips out of the way relatively early next season? That could work in their favor since those trips tend to be taxing (and nerve wracking for fans, LOL) in the latter part of the season. I also enjoy the REALLY long home stand at the end of July. I felt like the Reds were never home this past July so it will be nice to see the guys more next year at that time. They also tend to get some season series over with early. I think I saw that they get the AZ home and away series done within about two weeks next year and I know they do that with at least one other team too. Interesting....

WebScorpion
09-14-2010, 10:10 PM
No, the Reds just haven't been to Camden Yards yet. They played the O's back in 2005 so they have faced them in IL play. I'm kicking myself that I didn't attend any of those games at GABP back then. :(

And I'm all ready planning my trip to Baltimore in June which is going to be awesome. Those of you who haven't been to Camden Yards yet should seriously considering going there next season. Gorgeous ballpark, great fans, and the Inner Harbor area is really cool too. :D

Don't forget to eat at Boog's!! Best ballpark food I've ever had. :thumbup:

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 10:11 PM
So, Heather, with your conflict of rooting interests, who will you be rooting for in the Reds-O's series? Not that we'd want to influence you, as we're trusting to make the right choice. :p:

WVRed
09-14-2010, 10:12 PM

There is talk about possibly having a Wednesday game to start. If the Reds somehow managed to win the World Series, one would think it would be the first game to start the season.

I don't like it just because it puts baseball at odds with the Final Four that weekend. That being said, its a big boost for attendance since the games following Opening Day through the week are generally lackluster. Opening Day any day will sell out, then have games on Saturday and Sunday and its a pretty profitable weekend for the Reds and other MLB teams.

BoydsOfSummer
09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
I want the Yanks THIS year! :thumbup:

Repeat of 1976, anyone?

HeatherC1212
09-14-2010, 10:19 PM
So, Heather, with your conflict of rooting interests, who will you be rooting for in the Reds-O's series? Not that we'd want to influence you, as we're trusting to make the right choice. :p:

Oh goodness, it's the Reds for sure! :D I've been a Reds fan since I was a little girl and I only started following the O's within the last five years so that that alone means my Reds fandom trumps my O's fandom. It should be a fun series though. Baltimore fans have seen even more troubles with their organization than Reds fans so the fans there will be fun to talk to because we can share stories of misery, LOL :laugh: They're starting to put together a decent club again now so that series should be pretty good. The O's took two of three versus our boys the last time they played so they have to return the favor and at least take the series this time! :p:

I haven't been to Boog's yet but that's on my list for this trip! :thumbup:

Redsfan320
09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Oh goodness, it's the Reds for sure! I've been a Reds fan since I was a little girl and I only started following the O's within the last five years so that that alone means my Reds fandom trumps my O's fandom. It should be a fun series though. Baltimore fans have seen even more troubles with their organization than Reds fans so the fans there will be fun to talk to because we can share stories of misery, LOL They're starting to put together a decent club again now so that series should be pretty good. The O's took two of three versus our boys the last time they played so they have to return the favor and at least take the series this time!

Ah, so I see. If you wanted a AL team to root for, why would you pick the O's? I picked the Twins. For many reasons, one being SUCCESS!

paulrichjr
09-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Oh goodness, it's the Reds for sure! :D I've been a Reds fan since I was a little girl and I only started following the O's within the last five years so that that alone means my Reds fandom trumps my O's fandom.

You like any other forms of torture? I mean the Reds AND the O's? And you picked one of them the last 5 years??? Wow.

HeatherC1212
09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Ah, so I see. If you wanted a AL team to root for, why would you pick the O's? I picked the Twins. For many reasons, one being SUCCESS!

Hey, the O's were leading the AL East when I first started following them in 2005! I didn't realize they were going to crap out for the rest of that season, LOL :laugh: (And I always love rooting for an underdog. My other AL team is the Angels and they win a lot so it does balance out. :p: )

And the biggest reason I'm an O's fan....Brian Roberts. :luvu: :cool:

reds44
09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but screw next year.

Tony Cloninger
09-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Again with the stupid skipping of the next day after OD? Who made this stupid rule up?

sivman17
09-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Wow. The Reds appear to have a very easy April schedule. Pretty similar to the September schedule of this year. That bodes well for starting out hot and going wire-to-wire :D

remdog
09-15-2010, 05:58 AM
Of possible interest: previous thread on the subject @ http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84021

The only thing that has changed since then is that Opening Day is scheduled for Thursday instead of Friday, likely to allow for possible bad weather. I'd rather have it that way instead of MLB (specifically Buddy Boy) deciding to schedule the Reds to open on Friday----and avoide the bad weather situation by having them open under the lid in Milwaukee.

Rem

Edd Roush
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM

Heather, I respectfully disagree about how great Camden Yards is. While I understand it was one of the first of the new wave of ballparks and at one time was innovative, frankly it is now not even a top half ballpark. I went 7 years ago and could not get over the fact that all of the seats are not faced towards home plate. That feature is a part of most ballparks today and can make it very irritating if you sit far down the third base line as I did that day.

That being said, I am making the road trip out to Baltimore and I will enjoy my Camden experience. I agree about the ballpark food being great, although I'd argue that Pittsburgh and Washington are slightly better. I also plan to go out to at least Chicago next year. I'm pumped!!

bucksfan2
09-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Heather, I respectfully disagree about how great Camden Yards is. While I understand it was one of the first of the new wave of ballparks and at one time was innovative, frankly it is now not even a top half ballpark. I went 7 years ago and could not get over the fact that all of the seats are not faced towards home plate. That feature is a part of most ballparks today and can make it very irritating if you sit far down the third base line as I did that day.

That being said, I am making the road trip out to Baltimore and I will enjoy my Camden experience. I agree about the ballpark food being great, although I'd argue that Pittsburgh and Washington are slightly better. I also plan to go out to at least Chicago next year. I'm pumped!!

Your the first person I have ever heard say anything bad about Camden Yards. That and PNC Ballpark are the only two stadiums that have only positive reviews.

RANDY IN INDY
09-15-2010, 09:40 AM

Lived in Fredericksburg, VA for nearly 10 years and went to Camden Yards many times over those years. In my opinion, it is the best baseball venue that I have ever been to. (Outside of my affinity for Crosley Field which is purely nostalgic) The Warehouse, Eutaw Street, the aroma's from Boog's place, the proximity to the Inner Harbour, and simply, just a beautiful park. I would love to go to Baltimore next season to see the games.

Unassisted
09-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Every year, my one wish for the schedule is for it to include a weekend series in Houston in June/July/August while school is out. In 2011, I don't even get a weekend series in Houston. The Reds go to Houston just twice and both series are midweek.

It looks like I might have some good luck in August, when the Reds are playing in Pittsburgh on what will probably be the same weekend I'll have to deliver my kid to his college there.

redhawkfish
09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
I have been to Camden Yards twice, and it is my favorite park. I went to PNC in August this year and it is a close second.

membengal
09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Camden Yards is a beautiful park and the downtown setting is topnotch. That said, I echo what was said upthread about it not being a particularly great place to actually watch a game from a spectator standpoint. The seats are indeed not angled toward the action down the lines, and it can feel rather remote to the field pretty easily depending on where you are sitting.

sivman17
09-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Nice analysis. You certainly bring a lot to this message board.

:beerme: