PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Free Agents

corkedbat
09-15-2010, 02:09 AM
Years past we would be ready to dive right into something like this. This year though we've got the playoffs to attend to first! Woo Hoo!

Even so, I came across this listing and thought I'd post it. My only question, I thought Brandon Webb was supposed to be a FA?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/2011-mlb-free-agents.html

blumj
09-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Years past we would be ready to dive right into something like this. This year though we've got the playoffs to attend to first! Woo Hoo!

Even so, I came across this listing and thought I'd post it. My only question, I thought Brandon Webb was supposed to be a FA?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/2011-mlb-free-agents.html

He's on the list with the other starting pitchers, in alphabetical order right between Javier Vazquez and Todd Wellemeyer.

Homer Bailey
09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Coco Crisp leading off and playing LF. Dead serious.

Obviously I'd rather have Jayson Werth, but I think he'd going to get PAID.

Eric_the_Red
09-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Can fans pass the hat to raise money to sign Carl Crawford? It would take one large hat, but I'd love to see him in left.

Scrap Irony
09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Jason Kubel would look great in LF, but I'm pretty certain Minnesota will keep him. If not, he'd be a good number six hitter behind Bruce. (Though he's LH.)

Crisp wouldn't be horrid.

I wouldn't mind Vlad as a LF either, but his glove is pretty bad. I'd also kick the tires on Manny.

Other than that, I'd live with Alonso and Heisey or Sappelt out there, defense be darned.

NJReds
09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Not a FA, but Newsday reported that if the Mets put Jose Reyes on the trade market, he'd command "one really good prospect, one solid prospect and two medium-range prospects" ... for whatever that's worth. There's talk of the Mets "blowing it up" this offseason. Reyes could be their most valuable trade chip.

The Reds obviously have a lot of prospects, would you give up four players for Reyes? He's in his walk year, so he'd command a big contract. However he's also had problems staying on the field and his attitude is sometimes questioned.

He'd certainly look good at the top of the Reds batting order, though.

Heath
09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I'll pass on Reyes. We can't afford to trade prospects for a guy who won't play more than 90 games a year because of injury. Dude is not reliable.

I would guess Webb is high on the list. Maybe a Ben Sheets - type contract.

I would be ok with Coco Crisp, but not sure if he'd go all Juan Pierre on us.

One thing about that list, there aren't a lot of "spring chickens" on the list. There are a lot of miles on that used car lot.

NJReds
09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll pass on Reyes. We can't afford to trade prospects for a guy who won't play more than 90 games a year because of injury. Dude is not reliable.

Speaking of prospects, does anyone know that status of who needs to be protected from the Rule 5 draft this year. With the Reds really building up a deep farm system, I have to think there are some decent prospects on the bubble. It might be why a trade is more attractive than a FA. Also, that list is pretty bad. Lots of guys past their prime.

Will M
09-15-2010, 01:55 PM
#1 goal should be a bat. LF is the most obvious place. (unless we somehow trade for Hanley Ramirez).
Crawford or Werth would help the team a lot.
if the Reds can't get a guy like these two then a trade of Alonso plus others is in order to get that bat.

#2 after that i suspect money will be tight. i am fine with going into next year without an 'ace' since we have several pitchers in house with ace potential

medford
09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm going to to out on a limb and assume they can't/won't sign either Werth or Crawford. However, Alonso & a young starting pitcher (Volquez, homer, leake, wood, maloney, etc.. there are options) would make for a nice package to pick up a relatively young impact bat in LF. What kind of options are there out there in the trade market this offseason? I'd prefer someone with a somewhat estabished track record, don't really need to break in another youngster, but someone still young enough to be around awhile, although a vet tied up for a few years would be attractive as well and perhaps easier to get.

camisadelgolf
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Speaking of prospects, does anyone know that status of who needs to be protected from the Rule 5 draft this year. With the Reds really building up a deep farm system, I have to think there are some decent prospects on the bubble. It might be why a trade is more attractive than a FA. Also, that list is pretty bad. Lots of guys past their prime.
Black - will stay on the 40-man roster
Red - will be removed from the 40-man roster
Purple - could be eligible for the rule five draft
Green - will be a new addition to the 40-man roster

C
Yasmani Grandal
Ryan Hanigan
Ramon Hernandez
Corky Miller
Wilkin Castillo
Chris Denove
Brandon Yarbrough
Devin Mesoraco
Corky Miller will be non-tendered. Ramon Hernandez could be retained, but I imagine a deal would be struck after the rule five draft. There are a couple fringe talents, but the only lock to be added is Mesoraco.

IF
Joey Votto
Brandon Phillips
Scott Rolen
Paul Janish
Chris Valaika
Yonder Alonso
Juan Francisco
Orlando Cabrera
Miguel Cairo
Kris Negron
Miguel Rojas
Carlos Mendez
Jake Kahaulelio
Jose Castro
Kevyn Feiner
Eric Eymann
Mike Griffin
Jose Gualdron
Todd Frazier
Zack Cozart
Cabrera probably isn't worth the option pick-up, but with the way the organization values veteran leadership, you just never know. Miguel Cairo could be extended even though players like him are a dime a dozen; I really hope it doesn't happen. There is a lot of depth, but Frazier and Cozart are the only guys who project as potential Major League starters. Miguel Rojas' bat is practically non-existent, but his glove could get him taken in the draft. Kris Negron has intriguing numbers, but he's lacking in physical tools. Jake Kahaulelio is well-liked in the organization, but his numbers don't jump out at you.

OF
Drew Stubbs
Jay Bruce
Chris Heisey
Willie Bloomquist
Jim Edmonds
Jonny Gomes
Laynce Nix
Wladimir Balentien
Danny Dorn
Sean Henry
Luis Terrero
Denis Phipps
Justin Reed
Judging by the playing time given to Gomes, it's awfully difficult to imagine his option will be declined, but nearly every metric says it should be. I think Nix will be non-tendered once again. Danny Dorn wasn't protected last time, so why would he be protected this time? The lack of depth almost makes you wish Edmonds reconsiders retirement. It'd be nice if the Reds retained Wladimir Balentien, but you have to figure he'd be with the big club by now if they planned on keeping him.

SP
Bronson Arroyo
Mike Leake
Homer Bailey
Johnny Cueto
Edinson Volquez
Travis Wood
Matt Maloney
Aroldis Chapman
Sam LeCure
Aaron Harang
Dallas Buck
Justin Lehr
Tom Cochran
Scott Carroll
Travis Webb
James Avery
Curtis Partch
Evan Hildenbrandt
Jordan Hotchkiss
Daryl Thompson
Matt Klinker
Harang's contract will be bought out, but how do you not pick up Arroyo's option? Scott Carroll and Jordan Hotchkiss are having big years, but they're both old for their respective levels, and you really have to wonder what the Reds think of them. Daryl Thompson would be nice to keep around, but he's due for free agency, and he has big durability concerns. A good Fall League showing by Avery could get him added to the 40-man roster.

RP
Bill Bray
Francisco Cordero
Nick Masset
Daniel Ray Herrera
Carlos Fisher
Logan Ondrusek
Jordan Smith
Phil Valiquette
Jared Burton
Arthur Rhodes
Mike Lincoln
Russ Springer
Ben Jukich
Chad Reineke
Federico Baez
Lee Tabor
Micah Owings
Ruben Medina
Jesus Delgado
Aguido Gonzalez
Scott Gaffney
Drew Bowman
Jeff Jeffords
Derrik Lutz
Doug Salinas
Junior Martinez
Jason Isringhausen
Jerry Gil
Joe Krebs
Jeremy Horst
Jose Arredondo
Rhodes has earned an extension, but you have to be wary of giving contracts to players of his age. It'd be nice to keep Jared Burton around as insurance, but seeing as how it'd cost about $700k to keep him, I don't see it happening. Bill Bray will stick with the team on account of him being left-handed.

In review, I have 35 names on the 40-man roster for next year. A lot of these are extreme long shots, but the Reds could retain up to five of these players:
James Avery
Wladimir Balentien
Willie Bloomquist
Jared Burton
Orlando Cabrera
Miguel Cairo
Scott Carroll
Wilkin Castillo
Chris Denove
Jim Edmonds
Jerry Gil
Jonny Gomes
Sean Henry
Ramon Hernandez
Jordan Hotchkiss
Jeff Jeffords
Ben Jukich
Jake Kahaulelio
Joe Krebs
Kris Negron
Laynce Nix
Arthur Rhodes
Miguel Rojas
Lee Tabor
Daryl Thompson

corkedbat
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
He's on the list with the other starting pitchers, in alphabetical order right between Javier Vazquez and Todd Wellemeyer.

Dang! I must have looked right at his name and missed it! Thanks! :)

I might consider Wigginton again for his versatility.

corkedbat
09-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Black - will stay on the 40-man roster
Red - will be removed from the 40-man roster
Purple - could be eligible for the rule five draft
Green - will be a new addition to the 40-man roster

C
Yasmani Grandal
Ryan Hanigan
Ramon Hernandez
Corky Miller
Wilkin Castillo
Chris Denove
Brandon Yarbrough
Devin Mesoraco
Corky Miller will be non-tendered. Ramon Hernandez could be retained, but I imagine a deal would be struck after the rule five draft. There are a couple fringe talents, but the only lock to be added is Mesoraco.

IF
Joey Votto
Brandon Phillips
Scott Rolen
Paul Janish
Chris Valaika
Yonder Alonso
Juan Francisco
Orlando Cabrera
Miguel Cairo
Kris Negron
Miguel Rojas
Carlos Mendez
Jake Kahaulelio
Jose Castro
Kevyn Feiner
Eric Eymann
Mike Griffin
Jose Gualdron
Todd Frazier
Zack Cozart
Cabrera probably isn't worth the option pick-up, but with the way the organization values veteran leadership, you just never know. Miguel Cairo could be extended even though players like him are a dime a dozen; I really hope it doesn't happen. There is a lot of depth, but Frazier and Cozart are the only guys who project as potential Major League starters. Miguel Rojas' bat is practically non-existent, but his glove could get him taken in the draft. Kris Negron has intriguing numbers, but he's lacking in physical tools. Jake Kahaulelio is well-liked in the organization, but his numbers don't jump out at you.

OF
Drew Stubbs
Jay Bruce
Chris Heisey
Willie Bloomquist
Jim Edmonds
Jonny Gomes
Laynce Nix
Wladimir Balentien
Danny Dorn
Sean Henry
Luis Terrero
Denis Phipps
Justin Reed
Judging by the playing time given to Gomes, it's awfully difficult to imagine his option will be declined, but nearly every metric says it should be. I think Nix will be non-tendered once again. Danny Dorn wasn't protected last time, so why would he be protected this time? The lack of depth almost makes you wish Edmonds reconsiders retirement. It'd be nice if the Reds retained Wladimir Balentien, but you have to figure he'd be with the big club by now if they planned on keeping him.

SP
Bronson Arroyo
Mike Leake
Homer Bailey
Johnny Cueto
Edinson Volquez
Travis Wood
Matt Maloney
Aroldis Chapman
Sam LeCure
Aaron Harang
Dallas Buck
Justin Lehr
Tom Cochran
Scott Carroll
Travis Webb
James Avery
Curtis Partch
Evan Hildenbrandt
Jordan Hotchkiss
Daryl Thompson
Matt Klinker
Harang's contract will be bought out, but how do you not pick up Arroyo's option? Scott Carroll and Jordan Hotchkiss are having big years, but they're both old for their respective levels, and you really have to wonder what the Reds think of them. Daryl Thompson would be nice to keep around, but he's due for free agency, and he has big durability concerns. A good Fall League showing by Avery could get him added to the 40-man roster.

RP
Bill Bray
Francisco Cordero
Nick Masset
Daniel Ray Herrera
Carlos Fisher
Logan Ondrusek
Jordan Smith
Phil Valiquette
Jared Burton
Arthur Rhodes
Mike Lincoln
Russ Springer
Ben Jukich
Chad Reineke
Federico Baez
Lee Tabor
Micah Owings
Ruben Medina
Jesus Delgado
Aguido Gonzalez
Scott Gaffney
Drew Bowman
Jeff Jeffords
Derrik Lutz
Doug Salinas
Junior Martinez
Jason Isringhausen
Jerry Gil
Joe Krebs
Jeremy Horst
Jose Arredondo
Rhodes has earned an extension, but you have to be wary of giving contracts to players of his age. It'd be nice to keep Jared Burton around as insurance, but seeing as how it'd cost about $700k to keep him, I don't see it happening. Bill Bray will stick with the team on account of him being left-handed.

In review, I have 35 names on the 40-man roster for next year. A lot of these are extreme long shots, but the Reds could retain up to five of these players:
James Avery
Wladimir Balentien
Willie Bloomquist
Jared Burton
Orlando Cabrera
Miguel Cairo
Scott Carroll
Wilkin Castillo
Chris Denove
Jim Edmonds
Jerry Gil
Jonny Gomes
Sean Henry
Ramon Hernandez
Jordan Hotchkiss
Jeff Jeffords
Ben Jukich
Jake Kahaulelio
Joe Krebs
Kris Negron
Laynce Nix
Arthur Rhodes
Miguel Rojas
Lee Tabor
Daryl Thompson

Very nice work - makes things a lot clearer for me. Arrendondo is my "roster surprise" pick for next year. If he comes back strong he could really bolster the pen.

corkedbat
09-15-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm going to to out on a limb and assume they can't/won't sign either Werth or Crawford. However, Alonso & a young starting pitcher (Volquez, homer, leake, wood, maloney, etc.. there are options) would make for a nice package to pick up a relatively young impact bat in LF. What kind of options are there out there in the trade market this offseason? I'd prefer someone with a somewhat estabished track record, don't really need to break in another youngster, but someone still young enough to be around awhile, although a vet tied up for a few years would be attractive as well and perhaps easier to get.

I think Crawford or Werth is exactly what we need and would make the lineup very formidable. Unfortubately, if they pay what it would take to ink either, I'm afraid they'd risk establishing a pretty his benchmark for some of the young guys they'll need to sign over the next few years. If we could get either for around $10M, I'd do it, but I'm afraid both will do better.

Mario-Rijo
09-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Not a FA, but Newsday reported that if the Mets put Jose Reyes on the trade market, he'd command "one really good prospect, one solid prospect and two medium-range prospects" ... for whatever that's worth. There's talk of the Mets "blowing it up" this offseason. Reyes could be their most valuable trade chip.

The Reds obviously have a lot of prospects, would you give up four players for Reyes? He's in his walk year, so he'd command a big contract. However he's also had problems staying on the field and his attitude is sometimes questioned.

He'd certainly look good at the top of the Reds batting order, though.

With the money he makes and his recent injury history there is no way they get that type of package and I wouldn't do that deal either. If however they paid some of his salary I think I could come up with a solid package for him. But before I did that I'd check in with Tampa Bay and see what kind of swap we could get into for Jason Bartlett. Also if they choose to keep Crawford maybe we could expand the deal to include Desmond Jennings or Upton.

Reds get Upton and Bartlett
Rays get Bailey, Alonso, Sappelt, Valaika & Francisco

Bartlett SS
BP 2B
Votto 1B
Rolen 3B
Bruce RF
Upton LF
Stubbs CF
Hanny C

Mesoraco C
Cozart SS/2B
Frazier CIF/LF
Heisey RHH/OF
Felix Perez LHH/OF

Volquez
Cueto
Wood
Leake
Chapman

Coco CL
Arredondo SU
Rhodes SU (back on a 1 year deal)
Masset SU
Burton MR
Bray MR
LeCure/Ondrusek/J.Smith LR

Wouldn't that be sweet.

corkedbat
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM
That's dealing three top trading chips and two decent prospects for an OF that's getting expensive and a SS that might not that big of an improvement over what we could get from Cozart for nothing. Bartlett's numbers looked pretty good last year, but they also look like an aberration compared to his other seasons.

It may be that I'm just not that familiar with him, but I'd want more in return for that kind of layout or I'd want that return for a lesser package.