PDA

View Full Version : Backing into the playoffs?

redssince75
09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
The report on St. Louis local sports last night was:

"The Reds have lost 8 of 12...and the Cards haven't been able to take advantage, gaining virtually no ground during that time."

If they Cards had gotten on a hot streak (and it's clear now that's not gonna happen this year), they could be within 1 or 2 games by now. Are the Reds "backing into the playoffs" by the Cards losing so much?

My own take is there is really no such thing when you take the season as a whole -- the final numbers are what they are, and each game counts as much as any other. So what if the winning or losing happens late vs. early.

RedLegsToday
09-15-2010, 10:58 AM
It's not the Reds' fault that the Cards suck. (6 games under .500 against the Pirates, Cubs, Brewers, and Asstros)

will5979
09-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm still a believer that once you get there anything can happen, hopefully this is just a cold spell, but its been going on for too damn long...cough cough Rolen, Gomes, Phillips, I'm talking to you 3.

RiverRat13
09-15-2010, 11:14 AM
There's no such thing as backing into the playoffs, especially over the course of an 162 game season.

Jefferson24
09-15-2010, 11:20 AM
It might help if the Reds could wrap this division up and start resting some guys before the playoffs.

will5979
09-15-2010, 11:22 AM
It might help if the Reds could wrap this division up and start resting some guys before the playoffs.

Yeah really, this losing is getting on my last nerve.

TheBigLebowski
09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
We could walk in backwards on our hands wearing pink sundresses for all I care, as long as we get in.

CySeymour
09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
For what it's worth, it was viewed that the 1990 Reds "backed" into the playoffs. I think that turned out ok.

liminal
09-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I agree with you all, but this type of response is kind of what we all expected isn't it?

"Well, everyone's favorite the Cards didn't make it, but it's not because the other team is better--it's because the Cards had an off year."

You know, that mentality.

But the Reds are earning a spot in the playoffs and, that 4-8 record is going to be a distant memory over the next week. In fact, I still think we can end the season with one of the top 2 records in the NL.

Hard to say anyone "backed into" anything with a record like that.

Stray
09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
We could walk in backwards on our hands wearing pink sundresses for all I care, as long as we get in.

:thumbup:
My thoughts exactly

Old NDN
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
:thumbup:
My thoughts exactly

My, how far we've come! For the last few years, we've all begged for just a winning record, some progress, something to give us hope. Now we're concerned with how we get to the playoffs? Come on, relax, enjoy. (BTW, I'm also getting tired of losing some of these close games).

Girevik
09-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't buy this whole "backing into the playoffs" in baseball. In football I think it's possible what with all the crazy tie breakers it can come down to. But in baseball, you get in because you won more games over the course of the season than the next guy did, period. That's not "backing in" in my mind.

BigJohn
09-15-2010, 01:08 PM
OMG,, the sky IS falling!!!!!!!!!!:)

GIDP
09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Id prefer them to clinch with about a week left, then proceed to sit Rolen, Cabrera, Phillips, Gomes, Ramon and Ryan, for 3 or 4 straight days. Then with 3 or 4 games left let them start again to get their timing back before the playoffs.

mlh1981
09-15-2010, 01:37 PM
It doesn't matter which way to get to the dance, whether it's in a Pinto or a Lamborghini. It's just getting from point a to point b.

New York Red
09-15-2010, 01:37 PM
For what it's worth, it was viewed that the 1990 Reds "backed" into the playoffs. I think that turned out ok.
Yep, after the first 2 weeks of the season, that 1990 team played .500 ball the rest of the way and still made the playoffs. It doesn't matter how you get there - as long as you get there.

Besides, we've basically had one bad road trip. That accounts for six of the eight losses. That's hardly the same as "backing into the playoffs". If it continues for another week, then I'll be concerned.

TheBigLebowski
09-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Yep, after the first 2 weeks of the season, that 1990 team played .500 ball the rest of the way and still made the playoffs. It doesn't matter how you get there - as long as you get there.

Besides, we've basically had one bad road trip. That accounts for six of the eight losses. That's hardly the same as "backing into the playoffs". If it continues for another week, then I'll be concerned.

And that team "only" won 90 games, IIRC. This team, flawed as it may be, is on pace to exceed that total.

redssince75
09-15-2010, 03:05 PM
My, how far we've come! For the last few years, we've all begged for just a winning record, some progress, something to give us hope. Now we're concerned with how we get to the playoffs?

OMG,, the sky IS falling!!!!!!!!!!:)

Actually no.......my OP and all the posts responding, all seem to buy in that it's no big deal and playoffs are playoffs......I guess the sundeckers are pretty balanced on this one.

SidneySlicker
09-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Well all I have to say is everything goes in cycles. Cards fans/media weren't on their highhorses in the 90's when they finished 3rd or 4th every year. They'll get used to it.