PDA

View Full Version : What is Scott Rolen's major malfunction?

will5979
09-15-2010, 10:11 AM
This dude is just as inept as Phillips and Gomes and has been since the All-Star break...just wondering if anyone knows something that I don't.

Did anyone catch how horrible he looked at the plate in the 9th last night? That AB I really believed cost us the game, all he needed to do was punch a basehit, of course a game tying 3-run HR would have been better but it seems like this guy has forgot how to go deep.

Rockermann
09-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I must admit, Rolen does look to be wearing down. I didn't look up any of his recent stats, so I could be wrong, but it sure seems the first half of the season was certainly better for him than the second half. I hope we clinch with enough time to give him a few days off before the playoffs.

Jefferson24
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I recall seeing him hit several doubles off the wall that just missed being homers in the past month or so. His home run numbers are obviously down but I don't think that the tear he went on in the 1st half was going to be replicated in the second half. The guy is an older athlete and the long season has a lot of wear and tear on guys. He hasn't had much rest either.

brm7675
09-15-2010, 10:31 AM
It's simple it's called Age. No matter how hard you try, when you get to the age Rolen is at, your body just can't continue to produce on teh same level night in and night out. It was nice that Dusty gave Rolen "Sunday's" off, but he should have been giving him another night off also. Right now over these remaining games I would sit Rolen in at least 5-7 of those games and play Cairo or Janish or Fransico at third. The human body can only do so much..

brm7675
09-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm asking a simple question as to whether or not someone knows something about Rolen that I don't, he hasn't really helped this offense in quite sometime now. I'm only asking this question out of major concern, because to be honest I'm first of all scared to death that we are going to be flat out embarassed and outplayed in the NLDS, and second we shouldn't be struggling this much to wrap up the division title, especially with us being at home and playing against lackluster teams, I'm beginning to wonder if I have lived in denial about the true character of this team.

You pose a legit question, however given where this team/franchise has been over the past 15+ seasons, just making the playoffs should be the goal. You take small baby steps. As for getting embarassed, I don't see that happening, will we win a series, i doubt it, but we have the pitching to keep us in any series.

justincredible
09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
How much would it hurt if the Reds rested Rolen and Phillips the rest of the season in favor of Cairo/Francisco and Valaika? The way Rolen and Phillips are playing at the moment it can't hurt us offensively. Give them a few weeks to rest up and be fresh for the NLDS. Sure, they may not come back from the rest and light it up but I don't think they could be any worse (especially Phillips). Phillips hasn't had a multi-hit game since August 24th and has only reached base twice in a game twice in that span.

EddieMilner
09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Before All-star Break:
.290/.361/.548/.909
After All-star Break:
.297/.376/.453/.829

So while he is getting on base at a slightly better clip, his slugging has dropped quite a bit from earlier in the season.

Looking in to it further it seems that since June Rolen's Slugging has decreased:
March/April - .514
May - .574
June - .629
July - .500 - small sample size (only 14 games)
August - .402
September - .385 - small sample size (only 11 games thus far)

He may be wearing down, hopefully not - since his play has been a real key to the success of the Reds since he came over. But Rolen is a top-notch pro, and hopefully he can turn it around here.

Do you think Dusty should let Rolen work through this, or should he give him some extended rest to the old legs?

brm7675
09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
How much would it hurt if the Reds rested Rolen and Phillips the rest of the season in favor of Cairo/Francisco and Valaika? The way Rolen and Phillips are playing at the moment it can't hurt us offensively. Give them a few weeks to rest up and be fresh for the NLDS. Sure, they may not come back from the rest and light it up but I don't think they could be any worse (especially Phillips). Phillips hasn't had a multi-hit game since August 24th and has only reached base twice in a game twice in that span.

i wouldn't sit them the rest of the season as they need to stay fresh, but with what like 17 games to go, I would sit them for 8-10 of those.

brm7675
09-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Before All-star Break:
.290/.361/.548/.909
After All-star Break:
.297/.376/.453/.829

So while he is getting on base at a slightly better clip, his slugging has dropped quite a bit from earlier in the season.

Looking in to it further it seems that since June Rolen's Slugging has decreased:
March/April - .514
May - .574
June - .629
August - .402

He may be wearing down, hopefully not - since his play has been a real key to the success of the Reds since he came over. But Rolen is a top-notch pro, and hopefully he can turn it around here.

Do you think Dusty should let Rolen work through this, or should he give him some extended rest to the old legs?

You don't work through old age, you rest and let the body build back up...

EddieMilner
09-15-2010, 10:46 AM

I would definitely consider sitting Rolen for about half the remaining games, as I'm worried he is old and tired.
Phillips is young and his defense is extremely important to this club so I would like to see Dusty allow him to play through it (possibly give him 4 games off between now and the end of the season.

Rockermann
09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
It's simple it's called Age... The human body can only do so much..

He's human?? Where did you hear that? :D

will5979
09-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I would definitely consider sitting Rolen for about half the remaining games, as I'm worried he is old and tired.
Phillips is young and his defense is extremely important to this club so I would like to see Dusty allow him to play through it (possibly give him 4 games off between now and the end of the season.

I think its cool to allow Phillips to continue playing for his defense alone, but lets be realistic and know that his bat is really hurting the offense. Dusty should be batting him in the bottom of the order right now. We would just have to rely on either OCab or Stubbs to LO.

justincredible
09-15-2010, 10:58 AM
i wouldn't sit them the rest of the season as they need to stay fresh, but with what like 17 games to go, I would sit them for 8-10 of those.

Yeah, I agree. I guess I didn't mean shut them down completely for the rest of the regular season. Just give them a majority of the games off to recharge.

will5979
09-15-2010, 10:59 AM
It's simple it's called Age. No matter how hard you try, when you get to the age Rolen is at, your body just can't continue to produce on teh same level night in and night out. It was nice that Dusty gave Rolen "Sunday's" off, but he should have been giving him another night off also. Right now over these remaining games I would sit Rolen in at least 5-7 of those games and play Cairo or Janish or Fransico at third. The human body can only do so much..

Tell that to Pete Rose!!! Age never seemed to slow that body down!

justincredible
09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Tell that to Pete Rose!!! Age never seemed to slow that body down!

Pete was also a once in a lifetime player. You're being unfair to Scott! :)

will5979
09-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Pete was also a once in a lifetime player. You're being unfair to Scott! :)

True I would take Pete in his prime anyday over Rolen in his.

Old NDN
09-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Rolen looks tired to me. Old? Heck, I would like to be 30-something again! More rest for him. Use him as a defensive replacement late in games if needed. His defense and offense is a major reason the Reds are where they are in the standings. Preserve as much of that as you can, without jeopardizing too many wins.

Stray
09-15-2010, 11:34 AM
We have a nice cushion in the division, I wouldn't mind resting him up for a while. It looks like he can still hit offspeed pitches as well as ever, but he hasn't been able to catch up with fastballs at all lately.

PeteRoseBelongs
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Rolen is getting older the body is breaking down. I am in favor of giving your younger players some time. Heck, throw Janish over on third and let Valaika on second. While they may not hit .300 they will play sound defense. But Rolen and Phillips need to rest. Not for the rest of the year but they need to sit for 7 to 10 games and only use them in pinch hitting or subs in the 8th inning.

Stray
09-15-2010, 11:39 AM
If Phillips' struggles are due to him being tired then yeah, I wouldn't mind resting him. Since his injury he hasn't been good at all, and I'm okay with him playing through it. I'd rather him struggle now than later.

brm7675
09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
If Phillips' struggles are due to him being tired then yeah, I wouldn't mind resting him. Since his injury he hasn't been good at all, and I'm okay with him playing through it. I'd rather him struggle now than later.

Rest will heal the injury, not continual playing.

Stray
09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Rest will heal the injury, not continual playing.

Have the trainers, or anyone in the organization said that? If so, I 100% agree with you.

If it's just a case of him in a slump after recovering from his injury, or maybe that it's still sore or whatever, then why not let him play his way out of the slump? We absolutely need him if/when we make the playoffs.

redsrolen
09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Scottie needs rest, plain and simple!! He has a bad back and shoulder! In reference to the 9th inning last night, baseball tonight said the shoulder looked liked it collapsed and the Reds should be concerned! When he played for the Jays he got rest at least every 4 or 5 days! His batting average at its highest was about 333.As far as homeruns, dream on if you think he can keep up with the pace he started with.I looked up his stats on mlb, 13th in batting avg., I think it was 13th in doubles? and 9th in slug.? Did you really think he would be better than that at this part of the season? When we got him, did you think he would be this good? Don't even get me started on the fact that without him we wouldn't be here. Look at our winning percentage without him! However, Dusty has lost his mind if they don't sit him down! Imho he needs a week off NOW!!

GIDP
09-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Hes swinging with his arms a lot more lately making him lose power.

will5979
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Scottie needs rest, plain and simple!! He has a bad back and shoulder! In reference to the 9th inning last night, baseball tonight said the shoulder looked liked it collapsed and the Reds should be concerned! When he played for the Jays he got rest at least every 4 or 5 days! His batting average at its highest was about 333.As far as homeruns, dream on if you think he can keep up with the pace he started with.I looked up his stats on mlb, 13th in batting avg., I think it was 13th in doubles? and 9th in slug.? Did you really think he would be better than that at this part of the season? When we got him, did you think he would be this good? Don't even get me started on the fact that without him we wouldn't be here. Look at our winning percentage without him! However, Dusty has lost his mind if they don't sit him down! Imho he needs a week off NOW!!

Good input...Janish and Cairo could do just fine in his place for 1 week, same with Valaka and Phillips.

mlh1981
09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
At least his defense is still superb.

Vottomatic
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I've already starting considering what management should do to tweak this team going into next season.

1. They need a Matt Holliday-type hitter behind Votto in the lineup. I appreciate Scott Rolen's impact on this team, but I don't think he can hold up well at his age. We need a legit threat behind Joey. Rolen has been good, but not quite what the doctor completely ordered.

2. We need roster flexibility to keep a legit third baseman available to spell Scotty more often. Such as Rolen plays 4 to 5 games and his competent sub plays 2 or 3 in a 7 to 8 game stretch. I'm thinking a lefthander would be another good idea, and it should be Francisco because of his power ability. But keeping a guy strickly as the platoon third baseman can severely handicap your lineup. Which makes me think Bloomquist might be here to stay next year because he can play all the infield and outfield positions.

Just my first thoughts in regard to next season.

As for last night, Rolen may have had a bad at-bat in the 9th inning, but the entire team SUCKED the entire game. So don't go pinning this on Scott alone.

will5979
09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
As for last night, Rolen may have had a bad at-bat in the 9th inning, but the entire team SUCKED the entire game. So don't go pinning this on Scott alone.

Not the entire team, just the offense. Pitching and defense were fine. I get really aggrevated when there is no run support for good outings in pitching, granted it will happen every once in a while but it happens all too often with this team.

Also the power threat behind Votto, yeah coulda been Adam Dunn but no we didn't need him remember? I'll never understand Reds fan hating Adam Dunn.

PeteRoseBelongs
09-15-2010, 12:52 PM
agreed

New York Red
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
March/April - .514
May - .574
June - .629
August - .402
It feels like it's decreased even more than that. The most glaring issues to me are his RBI production, hitting with RISP, and hitting with RISP w/two outs. I don't know the actual numbers - then or now - but Rolen was getting one clutch RBI after another before the all-star break. But since then they are few and far between.

Guys who spend their entire careers at Third Base age quickly. That's why a lot of them end up moving to First Base, DH'ing, etc. Playing third puts a lot of wear and tear on the body. All you have to do is look at his spiraling career numbers to see it. We got a great first half from Scott this year, and wouldn't be where we are without him. He earned his all-star selection. But now it looks like we're seeing a guy who doesn't have much left in the tank. How Dusty can't see that, is beyond me.

Scott Rolen should be resting every other day. It's much more important to have him fresh in the playoffs than to have him playing every day with a 7-game lead and three or four weeks to go.

Carolina Red
09-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Rolen is playing great. Would you rather have Edwin Encarnacion Playing 3rd right now???? Every at bat doesn't have to be a homerun. I was at all three games this past weekend and Joey Votto stunk it up at the plate except for the walk off homer Saturday. Does that mean he's playing poorly? Of course not. When the playoffs start I predict Rolen will be the Reds MVP because he's been there, done that.

scott91575
09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
He is still playing better than the majority of 3rd baseman, just not at an All Star level. His OPS+ is 130 in the second half, and his defense is good.

The only concern is his home run rate. While his 17 in the first half is above what I would expect from his, his 2 is below what I would expect. Other than HR's, his numbers are pretty good. Hopefully some rest will help him.

CrosleyField
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Baseball is a game of failure. If you succeed batting 1/3 of the time you are in the Hall of Fame. Its really hard to complain about Rolen or Phillips for that matter. Rolen may need some rest but like someone said earlier would you like to have Encarcion back?

Krawhitham
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
This dude is just as inept as Phillips and Gomes and has been since the All-Star break...just wondering if anyone knows something that I don't.

Did anyone catch how horrible he looked at the plate in the 9th last night? That AB I really believed cost us the game, all he needed to do was punch a basehit, of course a game tying 3-run HR would have been better but it seems like this guy has forgot how to go deep.

He has a higher average since the break than before.

He is having a power average but that is all. He is consistent in doubles just not HRs

He is old and locked in at 13 million for 2 more years, while Juan Francisco rots on the bench

GIDP
09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Juan Francisco isnt going to offer the D or the bat of Rolen so I dont know why it matters if hes rotting or not.

Krawhitham
09-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Juan Francisco isnt going to offer the D or the bat of Rolen so I dont know why it matters if hes rotting or not.

18 HR in 77 games for AAA this season (was on pace for 31 HR)
27 HR in 2009 AAA & AA
23 HR in 2008 A+
25 HR in 2007 A

a .303 hitter in AAA
a .297 hitter in the majors this season

He has been consistent with his power & average at all levels. He is more of a bat today than Rolen is, his glove on the other hand is horrible. Rolen was shaky his 1st two years in the bigs too at 3rd. (.954 & .948). But do not get me wrong he will never be a Rolen at 3rd base

redssince75
09-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Rolen is playing great. Would you rather have Edwin Encarnacion Playing 3rd right now????

I don't see why those are the only 2 options. Rolen is NOT playing great, and no I don't want Edwin Encarnacion back.

GIDP
09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
18 HR in 77 games for AAA this season (was on pace for 31 HR)
27 HR in 2009 AAA & AA
23 HR in 2008 A+
25 HR in 2007 A

a .303 hitter in AAA
a .297 hitter in the majors this season

He has been consistent with his power & average at all levels. He is more of a bat today than Rolen is, his glove on the other hand is horrible. Rolen was shaky his 1st two years in the bigs too at 3rd. (.954 & .948). But do not get me wrong he will never be a Rolen at 3rd base

Francisco will never be more than an .800 OPS bat unless he draws more walks. He will have to slugg .500 and hit .300 to ever be better than Rolen. Basically it wont happen, because he wont hit .300 and he wont slugg over .500 because his approach at the plate.

Rockermann
09-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Well, he's going to get some rest. Let's hope it helps. From a John Fay tweet:

"Rolen has stiffness in his upper back and neck. Did it on second last at-bat last night. He's day to day. #reds"

I think we know 'day to day' means at least a week around these parts.

Vottomatic
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
----------------------------------Avg-----OBP-----SLG
Scott Rolen - pre-All-Star Game---.290-----.361----.548
Scott Rolen - post - AS Game-----.297-----.376----.453

Joey Votto - pre-AS Game--------.314-----.422-----.589
Joey Votto - post - AS Game------.332-----.422----.596

Brandon Phillips - pre-AS Game----.294------.351----.469
Brandon Phillips - post-AS Game---.245------.294----.363

Orlando Cabrera - pre-AS Game----.245-----.283-----.329
Orlando Cabrera - post-AS Game---.343-----.393-----.455

Ramon Hernandez - pre-AS Game---.287-----.365-----.403
Ramon Hernandez - post-AS Game--.340-----.376-----.500

Ryan Hanigan - pre-AS Game-------.333-----.449-----.481
Ryan Hanigan - post-AS Game------.232-----.322-----.343

Jay Bruce - pre-AS Game-----------.266-----.339-----.446
Jay Bruce - post-AS Game----------.298-----.361-----.546

Drew Stubbs - pre-AS Game--------.235-----.310-----.399
Drew Stubbs - post-AS Game-------.265-----.323-----.447

Jonny Gomes - pre-AS Game--------.277-----.330-----.471
Jonny Gomes - post-AS Game-------.229-----.320-----.343

I think I'd be criticizing Brandon Phillips and Jonny Gomes long before I was criticizing Scott Rolen. Those two were a big part of our first half, and have gone in the sewer since the All-Star Break.

1990REDS
09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
----------------------------------Avg-----OBP-----SLG
Scott Rolen - pre-All-Star Game---.290-----.361----.548
Scott Rolen - post - AS Game-----.297-----.376----.453

Joey Votto - pre-AS Game--------.314-----.422-----.589
Joey Votto - post - AS Game------.332-----.422----.596

Brandon Phillips - pre-AS Game----.294------.351----.469
Brandon Phillips - post-AS Game---.245------.294----.363

Orlando Cabrera - pre-AS Game----.245-----.283-----.329
Orlando Cabrera - post-AS Game---.343-----.393-----.455

Ramon Hernandez - pre-AS Game---.287-----.365-----.403
Ramon Hernandez - post-AS Game--.340-----.376-----.500

Ryan Hanigan - pre-AS Game-------.333-----.449-----.481
Ryan Hanigan - post-AS Game------.232-----.322-----.343

Jay Bruce - pre-AS Game-----------.266-----.339-----.446
Jay Bruce - post-AS Game----------.298-----.361-----.546

Drew Stubbs - pre-AS Game--------.235-----.310-----.399
Drew Stubbs - post-AS Game-------.265-----.323-----.447

Jonny Gomes - pre-AS Game--------.277-----.330-----.471
Jonny Gomes - post-AS Game-------.229-----.320-----.343

I think I'd be criticizing Brandon Phillips and Jonny Gomes long before I was criticizing Scott Rolen. Those two were a big part of our first half, and have gone in the sewer since the All-Star Break.

nice post. ya gotta love the improvement that bruce and stubbs have shown the second half of the year. The future is bright in cincinnati.

mlh1981
09-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Hanigan and Hernandez' splits are especially suprising.

texasdave
09-15-2010, 04:46 PM

Maybe he needs some ice cream and freshly-baked cookies.

Natty Redlocks
09-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Maybe they should bat him 2nd, and bat Bruce 4th. It's probably what they should do as he declines and Bruce develops anyway, though I'm pretty sure it's never gonna happen.

redsrolen
09-15-2010, 04:58 PM
maybe he needs some ice cream and freshly-baked cookies.

lmao! (glad to see he's off, if they want him to come back strong, give him a week!!!!)

liminal
09-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Man--those stats are exciting. Especially the Stubbs/Bruce/Votto numbers. With Stubbs' defense and power, 265 isn't bad. And though he still strikes out a bunch, it seems as if he's cut down on those, too, in recent months.

Actually, I just checked the splits and he struck out in about 30% of AB's pre-break, and is at about 35% post, thus far.

But several of his other numbers have gone up nicely.

Red in Atl
09-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Someone mentioned we need a Matt Holiday type. I think his name is Jay Bruce. Rolen is getting up there, but I wouldn't be *****ing about him. This is the perfect opportunity for Juan to get some playing time.

Bigger issue right now. Get BP and Rolen rested up and ready for the Playoffs. We can't win without them. Put Jay back at leadoff. Play Juan and the other kid at 2nd. Or you could lead off with OCab and have Valaika bat 2nd.

New York Red
09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks, Vottomatic. That's the kind of stuff I've been looking for. My concern about Rolen, as I posted earlier, is his RBI production, hitting with RISP, and hitting with RISP/two outs. And since he hits in the cleanup spot, those are important stats. It seems he has dropped off drastically since the all-star break in those areas. I could be wrong though.

Krawhitham
09-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Francisco will never be more than an .800 OPS bat unless he draws more walks. He will have to slugg .500 and hit .300 to ever be better than Rolen. Basically it wont happen, because he wont hit .300 and he wont slugg over .500 because his approach at the plate.

:confused:

More to baseball than just OPS but

In two seasons with limited AB in the majors he has a .931 OPS, and in five seasons in the minors he has a .807 OPS.

Rolen for his career has a .869 OPS and a .854 as a Red

-----

Rolen is on pace for 90 RBI and 71 R, He is 35 and as far as I can tell does not take steroids so his number will decline every season from here on out.

Juan Francisco
2007 69 R & 90 RBI (A)
2008 71 R & 92 RBI (A+)
2009 81 R & 93 RBI (AA & AAA)
2010 was on pace for 79 R & 101 RBI in AAA

and you also have to note that a minor league season is only about 143 games

Take his numbers and calculate for a 162 games season
2007 78 R 102 RBI 28 HR
2008 80 R 104 RBI 26 HR
2009 92 R 105 RBI 31 HR
2010 89 R 114 RBI 35 HR

If you think Rolen will ever touch those type of numbers again you are crazy

will5979
09-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Rolen is on pace for 90 RBI and 71 R, He is 35 and as far as I can tell does not take steroids so his number will decline every season from here on out.

Maybe Rolen should look into some HGH possibly??? It sure help Rocky Balboa make a great comeback!

GIDP
09-16-2010, 08:49 AM
:confused:

More to baseball than just OPS but

In two seasons with limited AB in the majors he has a .931 OPS, and in five seasons in the minors he has a .807 OPS.

Rolen for his career has a .869 OPS and a .854 as a Red

-----

Juan Francisco
2007 69 R & 90 RBI (A)
2008 71 R & 92 RBI (A+)
2009 81 R & 93 RBI (AA & AAA)
2010 was on pace for 79 R & 101 RBI in AAA

and you also have to note that a minor league season is only about 143 games

Take his numbers and calculate for a 162 games season
2007 78 R 102 RBI 28 HR
2008 80 R 104 RBI 26 HR
2009 92 R 105 RBI 31 HR
2010 89 R 114 RBI 35 HR

If you think Rolen will ever touch those type of numbers again you are crazy

Of course you want to compare minor league stats, small sample sized major league stats that un sustainable, and I havent seen you in a Juan discussion ever in the minor league forum so I'll add this little post and let you get the last word.

CrosleyField
09-17-2010, 07:37 AM
This whole thread, about the malfunction of Rolen, who probably is one of the biggest reasons for this years success drives me crazy. He is old, probably needs a couple of days off. Why would anyone call him inept?

will5979
09-17-2010, 09:24 AM
This whole thread, about the malfunction of Rolen, who probably is one of the biggest reasons for this years success drives me crazy. He is old, probably needs a couple of days off. Why would anyone call him inept?

I'm tired of hearing the excuse that he is old, he is only 35. Also this month we are only 6-9, I'm sick of this losing and I guess I need some scapegoats, Phillips lack of getting on base and Rolen's lack of power make them perfect for my task!

EddieMilner
09-17-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm tired of hearing the excuse that he is old, he is only 35. Also this month we are only 6-9, I'm sick of this losing and I guess I need some scapegoats, Phillips lack of getting on base and Rolen's lack of power make them perfect for my task!

what frame of reference are you using that 35 isn't old? To the world or to other MLB 3B?

Caveman Techie
09-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Over-react much? The Reds are getting ready to clinch the division for the first time in over a decade.

Hustleman
09-17-2010, 05:56 PM
i'd look for him to get some much needed rest once we clinch. as is, i'd still like to see him get some rest every third day or so.

i'd like votto to get some rest too.

texasdave
09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Scott Rolen would love to be able to say he had all of this figured out.

When the third baseman got traded last July 31 from the Blue Jays to the then out-of-contention Reds for three players, he didn't just return closer to his Indiana home. He's now with a first-place team on the verge of making the playoffs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100917&content_id=14758282&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

brm7675
09-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Willie, not sure how old you are, but at 35 and being able to play on the level Rolen has this year is not something you see much in any sports. The physical wear and tear on the body alone breaks down players 5-10 years younger. rolen's numbers this season have been outstanding given his age and medical history and if you can't see that you might want to get some glasses. As for the record when you are missing key players due to injuries and you are this late in the season you can't expect them to be that great.

CrosleyField
09-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Wow Rolen hit a homerun last night. How could that have happened?

Sports aren't played on paper. If they were no would show up to watch.

GIDP
09-21-2010, 07:41 AM
It would be a nice time of the year for rolens power to show back up.

will5979
09-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Willie, not sure how old you are, but at 35 and being able to play on the level Rolen has this year is not something you see much in any sports. The physical wear and tear on the body alone breaks down players 5-10 years younger. rolen's numbers this season have been outstanding given his age and medical history and if you can't see that you might want to get some glasses. As for the record when you are missing key players due to injuries and you are this late in the season you can't expect them to be that great.

I'm 31. I was hoping taht age would play a factor in his great performance, but I have seen him swing at some really bad pitches over the past month. Hopefully last night will be the beginning of a new offensive streak that carries into October! Now someone tell old Smiley Phillips to get out of his slump!!!

Vottomatic
09-21-2010, 08:40 AM
They've all been slumping, except for the guys who've been injured and come back like Cabrera and Bruce.

Votto and Rolen and Phillips have all looked tired to me.