PDA

View Full Version : Phillips needs to sit.

NorrisHopper30
09-15-2010, 05:38 PM
His hand is still huge (friend saw him and a few other Reds at a bar in St L) from a first hand source and I heard today at work that another guy who is friends with a trainer that his hand is still huge as of the Rockies series.

Give him a break and let Valaika play, who was doing well in his time in. Phillips obviously needs a little more time off.

mlh1981
09-15-2010, 10:23 PM
His final numbers are probably going to look pretty mediocre, which will be a shame because he's been a big sparkplug much of the year until this.

AWA85
09-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Dusty keeps pulling the "his defense is worth more then anything to the club", but I feel for the long haul a rest would be good. Why not let him sit 3 games or so plus the addition of off days. Having him somewhat back to his early season form in the playoffs would go a long way for this team.

Vottomatic
09-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Our backups could start for alot of clubs.

I'd have no problem sitting most of our starting position players for a couple of games and rolling out this lineup:

RF Bruce
2B Valaika
1B Alonso
3B Francisco
LF Heisey
CF Stubbs
SS Janish
C Hanigan or Hernandez

Wouldn't bother me one bit. I know they're a notch below our regular starters. But our regular starters are somewhat beat up and tired, and I'm not sure they're able to give their best right now. So a notch below might be about equal at the moment. And as I said before, most of our backups are better than the backups that most other teams have. Bruce just came back, so he shouldn't be tired.......and he's hot. The only guy who's been playing that doesn't get rest is Stubbs. And he's young enough that he shouldn't need it.

Just my $02 cents.

Old NDN
09-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Our backups could start for alot of clubs.

I'd have no problem sitting most of our starting position players for a couple of games and rolling out this lineup:

RF Bruce
2B Valaika
1B Alonso
3B Francisco
LF Heisey
CF Stubbs
SS Janish
C Hanigan or Hernandez

Wouldn't bother me one bit. I know they're a notch below our regular starters. But our regular starters are somewhat beat up and tired, and I'm not sure they're able to give their best right now. So a notch below might be about equal at the moment. And as I said before, most of our backups are better than the backups that most other teams have. Bruce just came back, so he shouldn't be tired.......and he's hot. The only guy who's been playing that doesn't get rest is Stubbs. And he's young enough that he shouldn't need it.

Just my $02 cents.

You got Corky, Bloomquist, Nix, Edmonds to mix in also. For some reason, I think Edmonds is gonna play a big role for us in the playoffs. If we're gonna run that lineup out a few times, let's see if Chapman can close some games.

brm7675
09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
You got Corky, Bloomquist, Nix, Edmonds to mix in also. For some reason, I think Edmonds is gonna play a big role for us in the playoffs. If we're gonna run that lineup out a few times, let's see if Chapman can close some games.

Edmonds has a torn muscle in an old body, i would be shocked if Edmonds does anything the rest of the way out except be an out machine.

Old NDN
09-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Edmonds has a torn muscle in an old body, i would be shocked if Edmonds does anything the rest of the way out except be an out machine.

Hmmm. Fay's blog on the 15th indicated Edmonds was "close" to returning. But, then again, it is John Fay.