PDA

View Full Version : Time to sit Phillips

Brutus
09-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Assuming he's truly not actually healed from the hand injury, at least indefinitely until he's better.

His OPS is under 300 this month. He's 7-for-51 now. No fielder can earn back enough to justify that kind of production.

I'm not saying bench him. I actually think he's just not healthy. But it's time to let Valaika step in and hit .280 or whatever he'll hit until Phillips is rested. Give him a week off and hopefully he'll be full go before the playoffs.

This is a vacuum of suckitude at the leadoff spot right now. It's become an automatic out, and in many cases, an automatic two outs.

_Sir_Charles_
09-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I thought he looked much better tonight. He was really on the ball in terms of squaring it up. A couple of liners at people and a broken bat. The way his hand is hurt, it's something you have to work through. Similar to a twisted ankle. Rest it and it swells and you can't use it at all. He's taken the time off to heal, now he needs to rediscover his groove. Patience...he's showing signs of breaking out of it.

As usual though...some really nice defensive plays out there again.

Sea Ray
09-15-2010, 11:57 PM
I don't know why Dusty insists on playing guys like Phillips, Cabrera and Rolen, all of whom are not 100%, when he has adequate replacements sitting on the bench. I hope he knows what he's doing...

Griffey012
09-16-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't know why Dusty insists on playing guys like Phillips, Cabrera and Rolen, all of whom are not 100%, when he has adequate replacements sitting on the bench. I hope he knows what he's doing...

I am guessing it is cause we haven't clinched anything yet. I bet once we clinch those guys will get tons of time off.

corkedbat
09-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I'd say you'll see most of the regulars see at least one game off over the last two weeks. I think Yonder may even get a start or two for Joey.

WVRedsFan
09-16-2010, 01:21 AM
I don't know why Dusty insists on playing guys like Phillips, Cabrera and Rolen, all of whom are not 100%, when he has adequate replacements sitting on the bench. I hope he knows what he's doing...Phillips is struggling at the plate, but Cabrera is raking. Rolen gets regular respites. Truth is, after watching the subs at second, third and second, we cannot clinch without them on defense. There is no comparison.

Like someone else said, once we have that division championship secured, everyone will get that time off to heal. Another thing is that Phillips is poorly suited for leadoff. I would play Cabrera there for awhile and move Brandon down for awhile. Brandon has such poor plate discipline, and with his injury, is just not doing the job.

Nonetheless, it's hard to be critical with the team on the verge of clinching.

GAC
09-16-2010, 06:26 AM

He has been resting Rolen. He was out of yesterday's lineup, and is day-to-day with stiffness in his upper back and neck. But over his past five games he is hitting .353 (6-for-20). We need him in that lineup as much as possible.

And how do we know that Cabrera and Phillips, when it comes to their physical health aren't 100%? Cabrera went 2 fer 5 in Monday's win with a home run, dbl, two runs scored and an RBI. Yesterday he went 3 fer 4, with three doubles, in the Reds' win. And over the last 7 days the guy has posted a .409 BA .409 OB% .818 SLG% and 1.227 OPS.

Yeah, BP is struggling at the plate but his defense in the field sure hasn't suffered any. I'd have to safely assume that Dusty is aware of BP's current struggles at the plate, and sees it simply as a mild slump that Brandon can work out of. If Dusty thinks its an issue of needing some rest, then looking how Dusty has done so with others on this team, he'd do so with Phillips if he thought that was the problem.

UKFlounder
09-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Maybe Dusty isn't confident the replacements on the bench are "adequate" especially for Phillips?

hebroncougar
09-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I think he'll rest today, and rest once or twice on the road trip.

Sea Ray
09-16-2010, 08:50 AM
And how do we know that Cabrera and Phillips, when it comes to their physical health aren't 100%?

In Cabrera's case he said he was only about 90% in an interview yesterday. He almost threw late to 1B in the 9th inning. He also is not getting to many balls at SS. If Phillips defense is the reason to play him over Valaika then defense should mean playing a healthy Janish over Cabrera. I don't get why one would argue defense in one case and Cabrera's raking at the plate for the other

Brutus
09-19-2010, 04:17 PM
He's now 8-for-67 in the month of September with one extra base hit, 5 walks and 13 Ks. He is not doing anything with the bat, and has been an automatic out. They need to sit him for as long as it takes to get him somewhat healthy. He's not doing enough to help.

muddie
09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Valaika was doing well while he was in the line up. Running Phillips out there every day, injured or not, is only prolonging his recovery. Let the guy sit two or three days. He needs to recover mentally and physically from the past two months. Valaika has proven an asset, use him.

Unassisted
09-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Why not just move him down in the order? He's doing a great job in the field.

Brutus
09-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Why not just move him down in the order? He's doing a great job in the field.

That would be better, but anyone making outs 83% of the time should be sat entirely until they're healed.

Big Klu
09-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Valaika was doing well while he was in the line up. Running Phillips out there every day, injured or not, is only prolonging his recovery. Let the guy sit two or three days. He needs to recover mentally and physically from the past two months. Valaika has proven an asset, use him.

I want to see how Phillips hits in Milwaukee. He has done well in the past at Miller Park. But I am not opposed to giving him two or three days off--maybe when the Reds get to San Diego. However, I would prefer to give the starts to Paul Janish over Chris Valaika--Janish will be someone we need in the postseason, so I would want him to get the AB's and the defensive reps.

GAC
09-19-2010, 05:37 PM
I think some of you are just plain nuts! :D

REDblooded
09-19-2010, 07:02 PM
I am guessing it is cause we haven't clinched anything yet. I bet once we clinch those guys will get tons of time off.

Unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that they would get a lot more time off after clinching, if he'd rest them now... In other words... They'd clinch a lot sooner if Dusty would rest those guys up right now... We've already seen that there's no drop-off if any from OCab to Janish... Obviously the other two wouldn't be the same (Valaika and Francisco/Cairo), but you'd have to think on the whole that would give you more of a fighting chance...

edabbs44
09-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Do we know for certain that he is injured?

SirFelixCat
09-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Do we know for certain that he is injured?

I know it got ignored/missed but everyone, but back when the Reds were here in Denver, we sat next to BP's fiancée during one of the games and since we were getting blown out, BS'd w/ her from the 2nd inning on. She was really fantastic and all 3 of us (me, Mrs. SFC, and her) had a good time talking about most everything, heh.

During our conversation, she mentioned that his hand is/was (at least at that point) still really swollen and 'nasty'. He wouldn't tell anyone about it and refused to sit (although apparently Dusty never asked him). I said that he was only hurting the team trying to 'tough it out' and she totatlly agreed and has told him as much, but he's stubborn and doesn't want to sit. :shrug:

nemesis
09-19-2010, 09:26 PM

I repeat... .631

Phillips OPS since the All Star break. He is leading off at a .287 OBP clip since the break as well. A smart manager would drop him in the order to help the offense by getting someone up there with a better OBP. But in Cincy that isn't gonna happen because we have a manager that is worried about the psychological ramifications on moving a player out of his spot. :rolleyes:

The Operator
09-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't blame Phillips for wanting to tough it out and stay in the lineup. I blame The Reds for not realizing he's still hurt and sitting him back down, especially when they have such a capable fill-in in Chris Valaika. It's inexcusable.

edabbs44
09-19-2010, 09:39 PM

I repeat... .631

Phillips OPS since the All Star break. He is leading off at a .287 OBP clip since the break as well. A smart manager would drop him in the order to help the offense by getting someone up there with a better OBP. But in Cincy that isn't gonna happen because we have a manager that is worried about the psychological ramifications on moving a player out of his spot. :rolleyes:

He moved Phillips out of "his spot" in order to get him into this spot, didn't he?

Dusty has made so many lineup blunders this season it is amazing that they are leading the league in runs.

fearofpopvol1
09-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't blame Phillips for wanting to tough it out and stay in the lineup. I blame The Reds for not realizing he's still hurt and sitting him back down, especially when they have such a capable fill-in in Chris Valaika. It's inexcusable.

This 1000%.