PDA

View Full Version : when did you think the season turned around?

rolenmvp
09-16-2010, 08:36 AM
at which point? I truly believe it was the last game in the series out in san fran, we had given up I think a 8-0 or something lead and then they went ahead and we came back, and showed alot of heart and things have been right with the world since?

what is everybody's thoughts?

mlh1981
09-16-2010, 09:06 AM
San Fran is a good one.

Recovering after the 4 game Philly sweep, also bouncing back from the horrible loss to the Braves where we imploded, and staying afloat after the St. Louis fiasco last month.

will5979
09-16-2010, 09:27 AM
April against SD. Season completely turned and been uphill ever since. The other selections were good though, many times this year meltdowns would have buried a team but this one rebounded nicely, on several occasions!!!

Jefferson24
09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
August 13th. Coming off a sweep at the hands of the Cards, the Reds reeled off 7 wins in a row.

That sent a clear message that this team was not going to fold in the face of a little adversity.

redssince75
09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
bouncing back from the horrible loss to the Braves where we imploded

This one.

bounty37h
09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Never thought it was gone to turn it around. My answer would be the final out of last season, they decided we werent going to accept losing anymore.

mroby85
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I thought it turned for the worst when they were swept by St. Louis in Cincinnati. To be honest, I thought that was lights out. Glad i was wrong! :D

brm7675
09-16-2010, 12:16 PM
there was never anything to 'turn around'. i would say there were games that assisted in building this teams confidence, like winning after blowing the game in Atlanta and winning the game 3 in SF and such, but we were never out of it.

shredda2000
09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I think it was the 5-0 loss to San Diego on April 24th (I was at that game). I later learned that Dusty had a closed door meeting with the guys and they proceeded to win Sunday's game against San Diego and then went to Houston and swept them...once they found out what winning was like, everyone became hungry, it was contagious...and here we are almost ready to clinch in September!

redlegs7089
09-16-2010, 01:02 PM
April against SD. Season completely turned and been uphill ever since. The other selections were good though, many times this year meltdowns would have buried a team but this one rebounded nicely, on several occasions!!!

exactly what I was going to say

gmt
09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't see any great turning point other than a mostly consistent season (except for September so far) and everyone else in the division playing poorly either in the beginning or the end.

Natty Redlocks
09-16-2010, 02:22 PM
I think it was the 5-0 loss to San Diego on April 24th (I was at that game). I later learned that Dusty had a closed door meeting with the guys and they proceeded to win Sunday's game against San Diego and then went to Houston and swept them...once they found out what winning was like, everyone became hungry, it was contagious...and here we are almost ready to clinch in September!

Yep. That was also about the time they moved Phillips out of the cleanup spot and put in Rolen. Dusty has never looked smarter.

arkimadee
09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
in my opinion it was the sweep at oakland. after getting swept by Seattle we could have tanked and closed in on .500.. but no, we swept the A's and made it an even 3-3 road trip on the west coast.. that was HUGE

New York Red
09-16-2010, 02:43 PM
For me, something changed the first series of the season, in the first inning of Mike Leake's first game. I believe he loaded the bases with none out and then retired the side without a run scoring. I felt a spark right then. A new energy. I felt like this team was fresh and maybe just maybe we had hope for both this season and the immediate future. Not just because of Mike Leake, but because we had other young, talented players on the way too. I didn't expect it to happen so quickly, and this team has had it's ups and downs, but it's shown great resiliency and has gotten better and better as the season progressed. Except for the sweep at Philly just before the break, the sweep at home against STL, and the recent road trip to STL and COL, this team has been remarkably consistent. The future is bright.

Captain13
09-16-2010, 02:55 PM
After losing two of three to St. Louis to start May the Reds won 2 of 3 against the Mets (both wins in extras) then 2 of 3 against the Cubs and a sweep at Pit. Since then the Reds have been over .500 and in either 1st or 2nd place. This season got great at the beginning of May.

Kingspoint
09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
The season never "turned around". They were never "bad" which would constitute a turn-around.

There was however one point in the season where they went from "average" to "good". They then have stayed "good all season since that point.

It was the beginning of May and the Starting pitching, other than Mike Leake, was among the botttom 3 rotations in the league. Then all five starters, for the first time, each had "average" starts, which for them, were great starts. They had "gamescores" of 50+. The next 5 games, the next rotation in other words, each pitcher improved upon that gamescore of their previous start.

So, it was right there, this 10-game stretch, where the Starting pitching began to go deeper into games while allowing fewer runs and fewer men on base while striking out more people. The Offense didn't change, but the Relief Pitchers were given a break finally because of the starters. Ever since then, the team has played good baseball, while overcoming injuries in June and again in August. They had a slump against the Rockies, but that's just 4 games. They should come out of that over the next half-dozen games as consistency has been their trademark all season long.

GIDP
09-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Never turned around. Although if I had to put a time table on it I would say something around the 2nd week of the season.

DntKnw
09-16-2010, 08:13 PM
May 7th against the Cubs - Dusty dropped Stubbs from leadoff (.174 avg), moved Phillips out of the 4 hole into leadoff (.257 avg.) and put Rolen at cleanup (.273 avg).

They lost that game (to drop to 14-15) but have gone 69-49 since.

Stubbs is up to .249, Phillips up to .275 and Rolen to .292.

As May 8th dawned, the Reds were 4.5 games behind the Cards. Now, they are 7-8 games ahead.

kfm
09-16-2010, 08:19 PM

This is the game I was trying to think of. Dusty really let lose on them, and I have heard some of the comments he let loose in that meeting, from players of course. I have never heard Dusty say a word about what was said. I think there were some big wins that continued them on the path of the good team that they had become like beating Josh Johnson after being swept by the Cardinals at home, but if you have to pick a moment it seems like this is it.

HUHUH
09-20-2010, 08:58 AM
When Phillips was moved to the top of the order.

Vottomatic
09-20-2010, 06:13 PM
When Jason Larue faked like his injuries came from Cueto kicking him and Tony Larussa and Carpenter whined to the media about it.

Hey Meat
09-21-2010, 12:48 AM
When Jason Larue faked like his injuries came from Cueto kicking him and Tony Larussa and Carpenter whined to the media about it.

Ha Ha! Love your signature by the way. I would have to say in Houston in late July because that is when Jay Bruce started to turn it around.

tobttr
09-21-2010, 06:11 PM
For me, something changed the first series of the season, in the first inning of Mike Leake's first game. I believe he loaded the bases with none out and then retired the side without a run scoring. I felt a spark right then. A new energy. I felt like this team was fresh and maybe just maybe we had hope for both this season and the immediate future. Not just because of Mike Leake, but because we had other young, talented players on the way too. I didn't expect it to happen so quickly, and this team has had it's ups and downs, but it's shown great resiliency and has gotten better and better as the season progressed. Except for the sweep at Philly just before the break, the sweep at home against STL, and the recent road trip to STL and COL, this team has been remarkably consistent. The future is bright.
Couldn't agree more. I was watching this on TV and with all the hype about the kid who never spent a day in the minors loading the bases with none out, I was thinking "here we go again...Brandon Claussen (or Jimmy Haynes or Joey Hamilton or...) big expectations turning to big disappointments in a hurry". But when the kid worked out of the jam without allowing even one run, I really sensed something different.
No, I didn't expect that on Sept 21 we would be talking about a magic number of 6, but I really thought this team was onto something at that point.
Good call, New York Red!!

bshall2105
09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
The season never really had a real turn around, but one thing that did get better was the bullpen. It seems weird to think about how bad they were in the early stage of the season because they have been so consistent lately. So if there was a turn around this year it was in the bullpen.

ol'Sparky
09-21-2010, 09:21 PM
http://www.local12.com/sites/wkrc/images/reds_open/parade/OD_91.jpg

opening day 2010 !!

Mark T
09-21-2010, 11:58 PM
I thought there was a shift when Dusty moved Stubbs out of the leadoff spot. He was doing the old Dusty thing, putting a fast no-hit guy up first, but moved him down and the wins started thereafter.

Maybe just me.

Vottomatic
09-22-2010, 12:04 AM
When Carpenter said "waaa........waaaa......waaaa" and Larussa answered him "waaa........waaa.....waa....."