PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter?!?!?!

mlh1981
09-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Did you guys see that acting job of his last night?

The ball hit the barrell of the bat, but he started writhing in agony as if he had gotten hit. Even the training staff came out to check up on him.

I would have expected something like that out of A-Rod, but surprised Jeter resorted to such tactics.

GIDP
09-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Some times teams go overboard in "policing" themselves but this is 1 case where I think the Rays should plunk jeter twice then go into 2nd base with spikes high.

scott91575
09-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Jeter is so amazingly over hyped I get sick of it.

Barry Larkin >>> Jeter. Jeter is a great player, but the NY hype machine has created his status of being some sort of immortal. I would take Larkin over Jeter every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Just like Paul O'Neill being a little ***** towards the Reds and getting praise from the main stream media. Screw the NY hype. They buy teams and create stars who are not stars. Jeter is one of them. Without the NY media he would be a borderline HOFer. Instead he is exalted as a great. He is just like the new generation of Yankees. Over hyped, overpaid prima donnnas that are nothing more than championships bought and paid for through money, not teamwork.

and yes, I know he has been with the NY organization his whole life. Yet without the other bought and paid for teammates, he is a footnote in baseball history.

mroby85
09-16-2010, 09:36 AM

Barry Larkin >>> Jeter. Jeter is a great player, but the NY hype machine has created his status of being some sort of immortal. I would take Larkin over Jeter every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Just like Paul O'Neill being a little ***** towards the Reds and getting praise from the main stream media. Screw the NY hype. They buy teams and create stars who are not stars. Jeter is one of them. Without the NY media he would be a borderline HOFer. Instead he is exalted as a great. He is just like the new generation of Yankees. Over hyped, overpaid prima donnnas that are nothing more than championships bought and paid for through money, not teamwork.

and yes, I know he has been with the NY organization his whole life. Yet without the other bought and paid for teammates, he is a footnote in baseball history.

I love Derek Jeter, and always have mainly because he reminds me of a clone of Barry Larkin. He gets the job done by doing whatever he needs to do. He hits behind the runner, makes productive outs, gets clutch hits, plays great defense, and is a champion. (several times) I'm not a fan of the Yankees at all, but I have a hard time not liking Jeter, and whats wrong with what he did last night? just doing everything he can to win the game. It's really no different than starting to first on a full count pitch that was down the middle, or acting like you were safe when you were out. Its the umpires job to make the right call, if you can mess him up to your advantage, thats just gamesmanship in my opinion. Just like flopping in basketball to draw a foul.

will5979
09-16-2010, 09:45 AM

Tell us how you really feel there dude...

TheBigLebowski
09-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Definitely over the top. It's one thing to act like a pitch hits you....wince a bit, hop around some, etc....but he acted like he had his hand suddenly amputated. And it was a situation where he really didn't have to act that much anyway because that pitch really did look like it hit him in real-time, without the benefit of replay.

bounty37h
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
I love Derek Jeter, and always have mainly because he reminds me of a clone of Barry Larkin. He gets the job done by doing whatever he needs to do. He hits behind the runner, makes productive outs, gets clutch hits, plays great defense, and is a champion. (several times) I'm not a fan of the Yankees at all, but I have a hard time not liking Jeter, and whats wrong with what he did last night? just doing everything he can to win the game. It's really no different than starting to first on a full count pitch that was down the middle, or acting like you were safe when you were out. Its the umpires job to make the right call, if you can mess him up to your advantage, thats just gamesmanship in my opinion. Just like flopping in basketball to draw a foul.

I nevre knew you were a dook fan MRoby :)

mroby85
09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
[/B]

I nevre knew you were a dook fan MRoby :)

haha, you disagree? lol

krm1580
09-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Oh come on man, the dude is just a flat out winner. If he was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates he would still have all those rings and the Yankees would be in the cellar. ;)

HalMorrisRules
09-16-2010, 10:29 AM
I actually see nothing wrong with what he did. He was trying to get on base and did whatever it took. Its no different than when a player traps a line drive and comes up acting like he caught it and tries to convince the ump that he made the catch. I think the bigger story would have been if he told the umpire it didnt hit him.

justincredible
09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I actually see nothing wrong with what he did. He was trying to get on base and did whatever it took. Its no different than when a player traps a line drive and comes up acting like he caught it and tries to convince the ump that he made the catch. I think the bigger story would have been if he told the umpire it didnt hit him.

Agreed 100%, and I do not like Derek Jeter. Put me in that situation and I do the exact same thing. A free base is a free base and the next batter hit a HR to take the lead. Even Maddon said he'd have been all for it if it would have been one of his own players.

mroby85
09-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Oh come on man, the dude is just a flat out winner. If he was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates he would still have all those rings and the Yankees would be in the cellar. ;)

You could say this about any guy thats ever won a championship in baseball. No one can do it by themselves, but he's come through in the clutch time and time again. He is a winner.

1990REDS
09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I see no problem with what Jeter did.To me its the same as a catcher framing pitches or phantom tags of second base by middle infielders.

brm7675
09-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Jeter did what any good smart baseball player would do. The objective is to get on base, period.

Jefferson24
09-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Remember when Hopper slipped the ball into Farney's glove after he had knocked himself out? It's the same deal, do anything you can get away with on the field (short of illegal equipment) that gets you closer to winning the game.

GIDP
09-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Remember when Hopper slipped the ball into Farney's glove after he had knocked himself out? It's the same deal, do anything you can get away with on the field (short of illegal equipment) that gets you closer to winning the game.

Yea, but they should also be more than prepared to pay the consequences. Jeter didnt really do anything out of the realm of how baseball is played, but he should expect something later for it.

bounty37h
09-16-2010, 02:52 PM
haha, you disagree? lol

nah, I hear what your saying, dook is just well known for relying on things like that all the time to win, using it as a mind screw with the other team, and as you mentioned, it works.

bounty37h
09-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Not always the same, a lot of those times it is so close they think they have it, even if they don't.

webbbj
09-16-2010, 03:16 PM
i like jeter and love this play. i'd more than welcome him to cinci.

HalMorrisRules
09-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I see no problem with what Jeter did.To me its the same as a catcher framing pitches or phantom tags of second base by middle infielders.

Excellent point.

Krawhitham
09-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Get on base anyway you can, PERIOD

And I hate Jeter

Natty Redlocks
09-16-2010, 09:59 PM

Ha, ha Norris Hopper exists

bounty37h
09-17-2010, 09:23 AM
OK, I change my stance after I finally saw it this morning. You take what the ump gives you, but his selling job was bush league IMO. If the ump says he was hit, fine-you take it and dont say "no I wasnt hit", but the acting job was too overboard for my taste.

Hey Meat
09-17-2010, 10:07 AM
It's a game, you get any edge you can. Sometimes it takes a little Hollywood. Look at Magic or Jordan in basketball, they would barely get bumped and they could make it look like they got hammered to get the call. It's Jeter's job to get on base. I don't see the problem with this, it's not like it's a character flaw. It is just seeing an opportunity and seizing it.

Girevik
09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
How many times has a baseball or football player held up a ball after a trap trying to sell that they caught the ball? It may not be "right", but it is all part of the game.