PDA

View Full Version : How do you reward Dusty

brm7675
09-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Okay, you are mag't, your team is 20+ games over .500 and playoff bound, something this franchise hasn't seen since 1995. Your manager has led this team to better records each year he has been the manager, so what kind of contract do you give him?

BigJohn
09-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Free toothpicks and Arm bands for life?

GIDP
09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I reward him by letting him find another team.

Stray
09-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Haha yeah, he's held this team together through thick and thin all year, led us to our first winning season in lord knows when, and is running away with the division. Why on Earth would we wanna keep this scrub? :rolleyes:

GIDP
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Because he's grossly over paid, and his in game managing skills are awful?

Stray
09-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Because he's grossly over paid, and his in game managing skills are awful?

You come off as someone who is hard to please, so I dunno what to say.
Maybe you'll get your wish and we can bring in a manager who will take us 162-0.

GIDP
09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
You come off as someone who is hard to please, so I dunno what to say.
Maybe you'll get your wish and we can bring in a manager who will take us 162-0.

No, I think 3.5 for any manager is beyond silly. I think he keeps players happy for the most part, but I simply hate his justification for things he does when it comes to on the field managing. quoting random sample sizes, then ignoring them later, playing LH v. lefty splits all the time then the next day ignoring them.

Hes terrible inconsistent when it comes to in game managing and it frustrates me beyond belief.

Most of all its how much the Reds pay him.

Stray
09-16-2010, 01:23 PM
No, I think 3.5 for any manager is beyond silly. I think he keeps players happy for the most part, but I simply hate his justification for things he does when it comes to on the field managing. quoting random sample sizes, then ignoring them later, playing LH v. lefty splits all the time then the next day ignoring them.

Hes terrible inconsistent when it comes to in game managing and it frustrates me beyond belief.

I don't get why you're nitpicking though. The unconventional decisions, gut decisions, or whatever you wanna call them may not always work. You cannot question that his style gives his players confidence, and they want to play for him. If you look at the production we've gotten from different guys playing over their head, it would be foolish to downplay Dusty's approach to managing in their success.

Just enjoy it man, we have had plenty of awful years to nitpick and complain.

GIDP
09-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I dont feel like I'm nit picking when those scenarios happen quite often. I'm nit picking single incidents that repeat many many times through the year.

crazyjdawg
09-16-2010, 01:33 PM

Is the money coming out of your pocket?
What do you care what they pay him?
He's producing.

If you want to be outraged about a contract, be outraged about Cordero's 12 million or Harang's 12.5 million. Don't get mad at the manager who is being paid to take us to the playoffs (and it is looking good so far).

Stray
09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I dont feel like I'm nit picking when those scenarios happen quite often. I'm nit picking single incidents that repeat many many times through the year.

But you're complaining about a manager that has a good shot to lead us to the best record in the league. You're pretending that baseball is played in simulators, and not taking into account the human side of coaching.

GIDP
09-16-2010, 01:38 PM
But you're complaining about a manager that has a good shot to lead us to the best record in the league. You're pretending that baseball is played in simulators, and not taking into account the human side of coaching.

I am takin it into account. I also think he makes tons of mental mistakes when it comes to the way he manages his ball club. Its flaws that I think gets less out of the roster in terms of stats, which is ultimately what wins you games.

Stray
09-16-2010, 01:42 PM
I am takin it into account. I also think he makes tons of mental mistakes when it comes to the way he manages his ball club. Its flaws that I think gets less out of the roster in terms of stats, which is ultimately what wins you games.

Agree to disagree.
I can't believe how jaded some fans in Cincinnati are, but whatever, I guess losing for so long can do that to some people.

Altsciguy
09-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Dusty has done alright in my book. I do not know how to talk slowly on here but please read this next line slowly and let it really sink in. We are leading our division by 8 games and going into the post season for the first time in a decade. The second best record in the National league and the 5th best record in all of baseball. He has done this with a team that is 19th in the league for salaries, with rookies, and Cordero (sorry about that neg. slam but..) He has taken a mixed bag of players, near the bottom third in salaries and MANANGED them to the top! Is Dusty perfect? do I always agree with him? noooo but I can not deny what he has done.

Kiss the Baby00
09-16-2010, 02:05 PM
people who complain about how much our manager makes are miserable and complain for the sake of complaining. the money isnt coming out of y our pocket. who cares if the manager makes 100 million. im sure upper management has a budget and an idea of what they want to do with that budget.

Natty Redlocks
09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm confident this team would be fine with a different manager. A different third baseman? Not so sure.

Vottomatic
09-16-2010, 03:14 PM
I like that Dusty has promoted good chemistry in the clubhouse and dugout.
I don't like his in-game managing skills.

I do think he's overpaid, but don't really care.

Do I want to keep him at all costs? No. If he wants to stay, I'm fine with it.

Do I attribute all of this team's success to Dusty. Heck no. In fact, at times, I think they should be 3 or 4 games more ahead if not for Dusty.

Jack Burton
09-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Agreed. He should be able to find a job no problem after this season.

brm7675
09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
people who complain about how much our manager makes are miserable and complain for the sake of complaining. the money isnt coming out of y our pocket. who cares if the manager makes 100 million. im sure upper management has a budget and an idea of what they want to do with that budget. GIDP i think its pretty obvious why you arent in the ORG

they could be paying Dusty $1 and it would be overpaying him in my opinion. He can not in game manage, period. i don't care how well he gets along with players or not, he is paid to put the best combination of players on the field and makes moves to counter the other teams move. He refuses to look outside of the box (example trying somone else at closer) becauase that't not how they did it when he played. Him and his coaching staff (especially Jacoby) have not showm me they have any ability to actually "coach" these players outside of Price. Mark Berry has got to be one of the worse 3rd base coaches in baseball. I see no fire or desire in this man, I see no ability to think on his feet or make quick decisions. I don't care how much they pay him, whatever it is , it is just way to much.

brm7675
09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Agreed. He should be able to find a job no problem after this season.

We can only hope and pray...

mlh1981
09-16-2010, 06:05 PM
A manager is as good as the team he has around him.

Joe Torre wouldn't do squat in Pittsburgh.

Manny Acta would be a "genius" managing the Yankees.

AintlifeGrande
09-16-2010, 11:27 PM
A manager is as good as the team he has around him.

Joe Torre wouldn't do squat in Pittsburgh.

Manny Acta would be a "genius" managing the Yankees.

Joe Madden says hi.

BAKER12
09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Free toothpicks and Arm bands for life?

Wrist bands and Austrailian Chewing Sticks:beerme:

Oxblood
09-18-2010, 11:31 AM
If anything Rolen deserves the credit for turning this team around, so in that case you would have to also give plenty of credit to Jocketty. IMO Dusty has actually cost this team double digit wins. TBPH the guy is clueless, blind squirrel syndrome.

CrosleyField
09-21-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm sort of neutral on Dusty. Can't remember if it was one or two years ago, but the extra inning game in San Diego was probably his worst. Probably ruined Harang.

Since then, I may not like everything he does but how can you argue with the results.

Mr Larkin
09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
He will be a major player in the Manager of the Year race, could win. Bud Black has blown his chance with the Pads slide, so Dusty may be the top canidate. He deserves a good deal, at least 2 or 3 years. Many of the people on this board have a bone to pick with him and he could have the team 40 games over .500 and you would be complaining that the team could be 50 games over with a decent manager.
Dusty has done a good job since coming to Cincy, regardless of the bias found here.

GIDP
09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
He will be a major player in the Manager of the Year race, could win. Bud Black has blown his chance with the Pads slide, so Dusty may be the top canidate. He deserves a good deal, at least 2 or 3 years. Many of the people on this board have a bone to pick with him and he could have the team 40 games over .500 and you would be complaining that the team could be 50 games over with a decent manager.
Dusty has done a good job since coming to Cincy, regardless of the bias found here.

When all else fails totally exaggerate to dismiss.

Kiss the Baby00
09-21-2010, 01:14 PM
When all else fails totally exaggerate to dismiss.

no. he is right, dusty will be in the running for manager of the year. Basically if you dont agree with GIDP you are wrong!

CrosleyField
09-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Dusty will be NL Manager of the Year.

Jack Burton
09-21-2010, 04:25 PM
How quickly we forget the Cpat & Taveras debacles.

Mr Larkin
09-22-2010, 12:22 AM
How quickly we forget the Cpat & Taveras debacles.

Was that Dusty?

How many managers make no mistakes. He has had a great season.

Jr's Boy
09-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Well taken into account the plethora of Manager jobs opening next season,Dusty will be in high demand.I hope Walt will step up and get a deal done.Stability is the key,despite Baker's dumb on field moves,this team caught fire this year under his leadership.But from what I hear on espn so take it with a grain of salt,is he feels offended that the Reds did not offer him a new contract earlier on when he inquired about one.
And that the White Sox are really making a play for him,and they are stocking boxes of white sweat bands.

BAKER12
09-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Do not see him going back to Chicago, as well he is a National League guy. He played for Atlanta, LA, SF and 2 years in the AL with Oakland. I thought he would go to LA, but they went the cheap way with an unproven manager. If Bochy leaves Frisco, could see Dusty going back. Otherwise he will be back with the Reds or be back home with his family in Sacramento.