PDA

View Full Version : Lets Compare Francisco Codero to Billy Wagner

The Voice of IH
09-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I emailed Lance Mcalister about his love affair with CoCo, and he sent me back asking me that since Wagner has blown more saves in the last two months, does that mean he can not be a legit closer either. so can you guys help (you are all more stats savy and such than me) please tell me why CoCo is or is not a legit closer, and compare him to Billy Wagner.

Thanks
VOICE!

Cedric
09-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I emailed Lance Mcalister about his love affair with CoCo, and he sent me back asking me that since Wagner has blown more saves, therefore he can not be a legit closer either. so can you guys help (you are all more stats savy and such than me) please tell me why CoCo is or is not a legit closer, and compare him to Billy Wagner.

Thanks
VOICE!

Wagner has less blown saves actually. And two of his blown saves were when unearned runs tied the game.

It's just a dumb argument. Just look at that .85 WHIP from Wagner and ask Lance to rethink what he wrote you. I'm not exactly worried about past stats like blown saves. I'm more concerned with the future. And the data doesn't look pretty for Cordero while it looks fine for Wagner.

The Voice of IH
09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
my bad I edited, In the last two months, Wagner has blown more saves,

bucksfan2
09-16-2010, 12:11 PM
It seems to me that closers are much more unreliable now than they have been in the past decade +. With the exception of Rivera there just doesn't appear to the dominant closers that we were so used to. I am not excusing CoCo's struggles, just a decline in the position across the majors.

Crosley68
09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Wagner has less blown saves actually. And two of his blown saves were when unearned runs tied the game.

It's just a dumb argument. Just look at that .85 WHIP from Wagner and ask Lance to rethink what he wrote you. I'm not exactly worried about past stats like blown saves. I'm more concerned with the future. And the data doesn't look pretty for Cordero while it looks fine for Wagner.

This is the correct argument. Coco's WHIP says what our heartrates tell us nightly; there are always runners on base and he flirts with disaster because of it. Wags can get a K when he needs one and Coco has lost that unless there is a free swinger at the plate like BP (oops that is another subject).

jojo
09-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I emailed Lance Mcalister about his love affair with CoCo, and he sent me back asking me that since Wagner has blown more saves in the last two months, does that mean he can not be a legit closer either. so can you guys help (you are all more stats savy and such than me) please tell me why CoCo is or is not a legit closer, and compare him to Billy Wagner.

Thanks
VOICE!

Just use a more appropriate indice for comparison.... Here's an example from July:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2153883&postcount=101 or

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2153916&postcount=104