PDA

View Full Version : Del Rosario now an Astro

TStuck
09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Looks like Reds traded Del Rosario to the Houston Astros for cash considerations. Found this posted on the Reds Facebook page.

fearofpopvol1
09-16-2010, 03:00 PM
A few weeks of Bloomquist for Del Rosario...hmm.

I don't think Del Rosario is going to be a stud reliever or anything...but this just seems like a terrible exchange.

Brutus
09-16-2010, 03:11 PM
A few weeks of Bloomquist for Del Rosario...hmm.

I don't think Del Rosario is going to be a stud reliever or anything...but this just seems like a terrible exchange.

I don't see how. Del Rosario wasn't even called up when rosters expanded. Clearly he wasn't contributing, so Bloomquist getting one hit last night was more than Del Rosario was going to contribute this year.

GOYA
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't see how. Del Rosario wasn't even called up when rosters expanded. Clearly he wasn't contributing, so Bloomquist getting one hit last night was more than Del Rosario was going to contribute this year.

You think it's all about this year?

westofyou
09-16-2010, 04:05 PM

With tweener talent like that going out the door it is.

Fret the big losses, not the small ones.

pedro
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM

yup, right now it is. at least if your talking about a non issue like Del Rosario.

Brutus
09-16-2010, 04:16 PM

The Reds haven't made the playoffs in 15 years. So yeah, I'm mostly concerned about this year...especially when the player they lost clearly had no long-term role within the organization.

fearofpopvol1
09-16-2010, 04:17 PM
The Reds haven't made the playoffs in 15 years. So yeah, I'm mostly concerned about this year...especially when the player they lost clearly had no long-term role within the organization.

I'd take Del Rosario in the pen over Cordero.

pedro
09-16-2010, 04:17 PM

oh please. that's ridiculous.

fearofpopvol1
09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
oh please. that's ridiculous.

It's really not. I believe Del Rosario could contribute more effectively than Cordero. And I'm not even that high on Del Rosario.

Brutus
09-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Apples to oranges.

But to go along with that comment, if Del Rosario had the previous track record and salary of Cordero, he wouldn't have been shipped out.

kaldaniels
09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
This is the reality people when you have strong 40 man. In 2006 you keep him, in 2010 he's 100% expendable. Best of luck.

RedLegSuperStar
09-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Record since trade of Bloomquist 2-2.. Not a game changer.. nor was Del Rosario.. even exchange

pedro
09-16-2010, 04:26 PM
It's really not. I believe Del Rosario could contribute more effectively than Cordero. And I'm not even that high on Del Rosario.

Shark, meet Fonzie, I believe you've been jumped.

I know Cordero has been bad this last week but really?

westofyou
09-16-2010, 04:26 PM
I love guys whose K rates drop every time they move up a league... no I'm kidding.. I don't really love them.

GOYA
09-16-2010, 04:30 PM

What does either player have to do with the playoffs?

How was it clear that EDR had no long term role with the Reds?

Del Rosario was a very good reliever until he went up the Cincy. Something happened to him up there. Even when he came back down to AAA he wasn't the same pitcher as before. I don't think it's inconceivable that whatever caused that could be fixed.

camisadelgolf
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Del Rosario was a very good reliever until he went up the Cincy. Something happened to him up there. Even when he came back down to AAA he wasn't the same pitcher as before. I don't think it's inconceivable that whatever caused that could be fixed.
He started facing Major League hitters.

westofyou
09-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Something happened to him up there.

Better competition?

More eyes from the teams decision makers on him daily?

Something happened, and it looks like a decision was made on that something.

Folks were upset when Roenike was moved too, mid 20's relievers aren't exactly a high demand item.

reds1869
09-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Then let the Astros fix him. There are so many guys ahead of him on the Cincinnati depth chart that he was 100% expendable. Best of luck to Del Rosario in Houston.

pedro
09-16-2010, 04:37 PM

165 lb, 25 year old, RHP middle relievers who haven't K'd more than 6 batters per 9 innings over the course of their minor league career generally don't have a future anywhere in the major leagues.

kaldaniels
09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
165 lb, 25 year old, RHP middle relievers who haven't K'd more than 6 batters per 9 innings over the course of their minor league career generally don't have a future anywhere in the major leagues.

Cue the outlying example in 3,2,1....

GOYA
09-16-2010, 04:45 PM
EDR wasn't a strikeout pitcher. He was a groundball machine.

He pitched a total of 8.2 innings in the majors.

But nevermind. He was worthless and always will be.

mdccclxix
09-16-2010, 04:48 PM
I wonder if he'll be in uniform this weekend in Houston?

EDR had great groundball tendencies and was/is learning a new side arm slot, IIRC. I'm a little disappointed, but remember, we did get some cash, that's SOMETHING at least.

westofyou
09-16-2010, 04:48 PM

Correct, but his K rate did drop each time he jumped a league

But nevermind. He was worthless and always will be

He served a purpose, just like Bloomquist will for the last few weeks.

kaldaniels
09-16-2010, 05:01 PM

But nevermind. He was worthless and always will be.

Inform the strawman that there is a difference between worthless and expendable.

Brutus
09-16-2010, 05:15 PM

Anything done in attempts to improve the club right now is an effort to get to the playoffs, yes?

As far as "very good," I'll just agree to disagree. Very good relievers don't really often survive with >5 k/9 through a minor league career. As was mentioned, I think the issue is that his stuff doesn't translate well to the Majors.

The fact the Reds were unwilling to call him up when rosters expanded, even after Louisville faced an exit, tells me he wasn't in the long term plans for the Reds. Thought that was pretty evident.

PuffyPig
09-16-2010, 05:59 PM

I can't believe that you really believe this.....

Will M
09-16-2010, 06:26 PM

i agree with this logic as to why the Reds cut bait on him. at first i thought 'why would they just let him go?'. so i looked at his numbers in the minors & the low strikeout rate just is a big red flag.

fearofpopvol1
09-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Shark, meet Fonzie, I believe you've been jumped.

I know Cordero has been bad this last week but really?

Yeah, really. Cordero has been bad much longer than the last week. He's benefited a lot from having a strong defense behind him.

Is Del Rosario better? I don't know, but I would take my chances. He's about a decade younger and is a good bet to improve instead of fall further off a cliff like Cordero.

fearofpopvol1
09-16-2010, 06:33 PM
I can't believe that you really believe this.....

What has Cordero shown this season that makes him a better bet?

PuffyPig
09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
What has Cordero shown this season that makes him a better bet?

The ability to miss some bats.

A past that suggests he still has some ability to improve on his seasons numbers.

He still has prettty good stuff, it's his location that is off.

De lRosario has a past that suggests very strongly that he has no future.

fearofpopvol1
09-16-2010, 10:56 PM
The ability to miss some bats.

A past that suggests he still has some ability to improve on his seasons numbers.

He still has prettty good stuff, it's his location that is off.

De lRosario has a past that suggests very strongly that he has no future.

His ability to miss bats has declined each year and even each month this season.

Del Rosario has better control and walks far fewer batters than Cordero does. If nothing else, at least Del Rosario throws strikes and is a ground ball machine.

PuffyPig
09-16-2010, 11:27 PM
His ability to miss bats has declined each year and even each month this season.

Del Rosario has better control and walks far fewer batters than Cordero does. If nothing else, at least Del Rosario throws strikes and is a ground ball machine.

But Del Rosario has never had any ability to miss bats.

Declining ability is better than no ability.

kaldaniels
09-16-2010, 11:29 PM

Keep fighting the good fight Puffy, what a ridiculous discussion.

TStuck
09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
I had no idea this was what my original post was going to turn into!:D

BearcatShane
09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Holy Moses..

fearofpopvol1
09-17-2010, 12:06 AM

Hmm...well...declining ability and no ability sort of cancel each other out, no? Isn't not missing bats still the same as not missing bats?

Unless Cordero magically gets back to where he was before, things are even. Difference being, Del Rosario at least has control and throws strikes and gets ground balls.

fearofpopvol1
09-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Keep fighting the good fight Puffy, what a ridiculous discussion.

No, you just choose to ignore facts.

Cordero is no longer a high leverage arm...and when you're not a high leverage arm, you're really a run of the mill bullpen arm, which is the same thing as Del Rosario. I would personally take Del Rosario over Cordero because he has better control.

Griffey012
09-17-2010, 12:19 AM
No, you just choose to ignore facts.

Cordero is no longer a high leverage arm...and when you're not a high leverage arm, you're really a run of the mill bullpen arm, which is the same thing as Del Rosario. I would personally take Del Rosario over Cordero because he has better control.

DRH doesn't miss bats and has better control than Cordero. And I don't wanna see DRH nowhere near the playoffs.

westofyou
09-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Group G IP W L Pct H R SO BB ERA
Wins 6 7 6 0 1 6 5 8 5 6.43
Losses 5 4 0 5 0 8 9 2 6 20.25
Saves 36 35.2 0 0 ---- 29 5 25 16 1.26
Blown Saves 8 5.2 2 3 0.4 16 16 4 11 25.41
Holds 1 0.1 0 0 ---- 0 2 1 3 54
No Decisions 17 16.2 0 0 ---- 13 4 17 4 2.16

fearofpopvol1
09-17-2010, 01:26 AM
DRH doesn't miss bats and has better control than Cordero. And I don't wanna see DRH nowhere near the playoffs.

I'd rather see EDR over DRH and Cordero, personally.

TRF
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
heh. I remember getting all up in arms about the Reds trading Calvin Medlock for nothing.

Medlock, at least, could miss bats.

Del Rosario doesn't do that even. never has.

i have so grown as a poster. :)

Slyder
09-17-2010, 04:33 PM
I still ask with all the moving from the 40 man that couldnt we have packaged Del Rosario, Dickerson, et all for something more than an inning from Springer, Edmonds, and Willie Bloomquist? Or at least gotten Dorn put on the 40 instead?

batsfan
09-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Medlock, at least, could miss bats.

Del Rosario doesn't do that even. never has.

No. He gets them to hit ground balls, which is even better. Del Rosario will have a much better career then Medlock, if given the chance. He probably will be better then Jordan Smith.

TRF
09-17-2010, 05:56 PM
No. He gets them to hit ground balls, which is even better. Del Rosario will have a much better career then Medlock, if given the chance. He probably will be better then Jordan Smith.

Well, his minor league splits do confirm that. He doesn't walk a lot of guys. He's definitely defense dependent. As an Astro? he'll die with that defense behind him.

Thing is, the Reds had a number of guys to choose from. You mentioned Smith, but you could add Fisher, Valliquette, Burton, Bray, DRH... And yet Walt and likely Dusty chose EDR for a reason.

I do wonder what the reason is though.

PuffyPig
09-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Hmm...well...declining ability and no ability sort of cancel each other out, no? Isn't not missing bats still the same as not missing bats?

No, becuase you want to read it that way.

Cordero has declining ability to miss bats, but that's not the same as no ability to miss bats. He still has the ability to miss some bats. And likely the potential to miss more in the fututre as he still has some plus stuff.

Your guy has zero ability to miss bats and zero potential to do so.

Apples and oranges.

fearofpopvol1
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
No, becuase you want to read it that way.

Cordero has declining ability to miss bats, but that's not the same as no ability to miss bats. He still has the ability to miss some bats. And likely the potential to miss more in the fututre as he still has some plus stuff.

Your guy has zero ability to miss bats and zero potential to do so.

Apples and oranges.

Not missing bats is still not missing bats. If you wait a bit longer, you'll see Cordero's K numbers similar to EDR. Cordero's ability to miss bats (or lack there of) has declined every recent season. So, it's not like his numbers are getting better. He's falling off the cliff and fast.

Did you see the recent stat...last 5 appearances for CoCo...ZERO Ks.

At least EDR has good control, is a ground ball machine and is a decade younger.

pedro
09-17-2010, 07:38 PM
If EDR ever spends an entire season on any major league teams 25 man roster I'll eat my hat.

Raisor
09-17-2010, 08:15 PM
If EDR ever spends an entire season on any major league teams 25 man roster I'll eat my hat.

mmmmm hat.

batsfan
09-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Thing is, the Reds had a number of guys to choose from. You mentioned Smith, but you could add Fisher, Valliquette, Burton, Bray, DRH... And yet Walt and likely Dusty chose EDR for a reason.

I think EDR will be better then Valiquette and DRH, but Fisher, Burton, and Bray will be all be good reliever, and most certainly should not be under DFA considerations.

pedro
09-17-2010, 08:48 PM
mmmmm hat.

In the interest of full disclosure I have to tell you that it'll be a "straw hat", otherwise known in school cafeterias around the greater Cincinnati area in the 1970's as a pile of Fritos covered with sloppy Joe meat.

Slyder
09-17-2010, 10:12 PM

With a side of good ole JR's bbq sauce?

Sea Ray
09-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Do you think Del Rosario would have survived the cuts in December before the Rule 5 draft? If not then this move really didn't change anything

camisadelgolf
09-20-2010, 11:28 AM
So far, Del Rosario has shown that he is more helpful by playing for the opposing team than he does the Reds.

Unassisted
09-20-2010, 12:31 PM
So far, Del Rosario has shown that he is more helpful by playing for the opposing team than he does the Reds.
I had never seen Del Rosario pitch before Saturday. That was certainly my view after that outing. :D

And Del Rosario's outing dovetailed so nicely with the news that night that the Cards lost thanks to a Ryan Ludwick homer. If there were a separate race for late-season trades, I know which team I'd be betting on. :beerme: