PDA

View Full Version : Tax the Poor: An NBA Solution to Baseball's Finances

Brutus
09-16-2010, 04:01 PM
My first article is up on Biz of Baseball today. For those that don't frequent the Non-Sports board, I posted that I am now a staff writer for Maury Brown's Biz of Baseball site, as I'm a freelance writer for a living. However, this is the first time I've written about baseball, which is kind of personally exciting.

Anyhow, the first article I tackled was addressing baseball's financial disparity and what I would do to approach it. My solution is taking one aspect from the NBA's structure.

From the article:

Essentially then, every dollar below or above these thresholds are taxed and applied to an escrow account. A percentage of the account shall go toward the industry growth fund (as tax payments do currently) and the rest shall be divided up and split evenly among non-violators of the tax threshold. This system would promote teams to spend on the low end, but spend conservatively on the high end.

The complete article found here (http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4701:tax-the-poor-an-nba-solution-to-baseballs-financial-disparity&catid=82:kyle-lamb-article-archive&Itemid=191)

I don't intend to link all my articles, but being the first one, I did want to share this one and get some feedback. Thoughts? Comments?