PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else afraid?

will5979
09-17-2010, 10:35 AM
I have numerous concerns...

1. That St. Louis will get hot these next 2 weeks and we'll be looking at 1999 all over again.

2. That we are going to be swept in the postseason.

3. That we are watching this parade of opportunity pass us by. We are losing games that we can win that would allow more distance between us and St.L and give us at least a 1st round home field advantage. Also based on history when are we going to have this opportunity again? Mark my words we will not win this division next year. St.L is pissed and is going to reload. I have seen it before. I don't just want a winning record, I don't just want a Central Division crown, I don't just want to avoid being swept in the playoffs, I don't just want to win a postseason series, I WANT THE DAMN NL PENNANT!!!! Based on the way the team performed in May and August is this really asking too much of them? I think not. I suggest they do some soul searching and get back whatever it was they had in those 2 months or we will be embarassed in the postseason.

GIDP
09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
1) no not at all, its basically impossible and would take the reds to play like 4-12 and the cardinals 12-5. Which neither are going to happen.

2) maybe but who knows. did anyone expect Philly to make it to the WS 2 years ago? Tampa? thats just going back 2 years. Did anyone expect the Dodgers to sweep the Cardinals last year? Nope it all changes in the post season.

Hey Meat
09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
With Garcia skipping a start who else are they going to throw out there. I don't see this happening. I think we will keep at least 4 games between ourselves and the Cards.

brm7675
09-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I have numerous concerns...

1. That St. Louis will get hot these next 2 weeks and we'll be looking at 1999 all over again.

What 1999, i can see us pulling a mets and completely being out of the playoffs.

2. That we are going to be swept in the postseason.

Making it will be good enough for me, given our history over the past 15 years, i will take this baby step should it happen

3. That we are watching this parade of opportunity pass us by. We are losing games that we can win that would allow more distance between us and St.L and give us at least a 1st round home field advantage. Also based on history when are we going to have this opportunity again? Mark my words we will not win this division next year. St.L is pissed and is going to reload. I have seen it before. I don't just want a winning record, I don't just want a Central Division crown, I don't just want to avoid being swept in the playoffs, I don't just want to win a postseason series, I WANT THE DAMN NL PENNANT!!!! Based on the way the team performed in May and August is this really asking too much of them? I think not. I suggest they do some soul searching and get back whatever it was they had in those 2 months or we will be embarassed in the postseason.

reload with what? there budget is already over 100 million and that's without inking Albert to a new deal, they don't have the resources to improve themselves that much. You are wanting to much to soon. You don't go from horrible to great in one season anymore, give it time.

DaytonFlyer
09-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Wainwright, Carpenter, and Garcia are not going to keep up this level of performance either. This was their year, but their lack of offense hasn't gotten it done.

Not saying the Cards won't turn it around, but frankly we should be glad that the Cards haven't been able to put it back together, because they owned us this year. Let's just hope the tide turns next year, and we own both them AND the division.

brm7675
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Wainwright, Carpenter, and Garcia are not going to keep up this level of performance either. This was their year, but their lack of offense hasn't gotten it done.

Not saying the Cards won't turn it around, but frankly we should be glad that the Cards haven't been able to put it back together, because they owned us this year. Let's just hope the tide turns next year, and we own both them AND the division.

We don't have to "own" them as shown this year, you can be dominated by team X as long as you play well overall against most other teams you will be fine.

arkimadee
09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
i'm a reds fan.. i'm always concerned.. thats how ive been trained

Girevik
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Not worried about not making the playoffs, but a bit concerned about laying an egg once they're there.

brm7675
09-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Not worried about not making the playoffs, but a bit concerned about laying an egg once they're there.

i wish i had your confidence about this team making the playoffs, it is still to close to call and we are not playing well at all. As for the playoffs, we can get swept and i will still be happy.

Carin4Narron
09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Not worried about not making the playoffs, but a bit concerned about laying an egg once they're there.Won't you be just happy with them making it to the playoffs when nobody in their right mind never thought they could?

NeilHamburger
09-17-2010, 12:27 PM
I hope they make the playoffs, I'll be happy with whatever happens after that.

However, one thing I really don't want is for them to be really embarrassed, and then all offseason all the national media will talk about what a fraud they were.

If they get swept, fine, as long as they play close good games. I just don't want them to play, let's say Philly, and get swept by a combined 35 runs.

New York Red
09-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm disappointed in the way we're playing lately, but I can't really say I'm overly concerned. We'll win the division, and that will make this an outstanding season. As for the playoffs, we'll have to heat up offensively to make a splash. If we don't, we'll probably lose our first series. But it won't take anything away from the season we've had or the enjoyment I got from it. And the best part is, we have realistic hopes of winning the division again next year.

Biff Pocoroba
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
How could anyone possibly be worried about making the playoffs? I mean - yeah - you always worry until you clinch - but we have a seven-game lead with fifteen to play. Losing this thing would require St. Louis to suddenly go on the their best stretch of the year and for the Reds to simultaneous tank worse than they have for any stretch of games this year. At this point in time, we are relatively healthy - we have five starters that can keep us in any game; we have a lot of arms in the bullpen and our starting eight is pretty much intact. As long as we keep grinding, we'll win enough games - and St. Louis ain't going 15-2 or anything like that.

As for the playoffs - anything can happen. I don't love our chances, because, while our starting five is solid, I always bet on the teams that have a couple of starters who can dominate any opposing lineup.

As for our window of opportunity, I say this: any time you are in a position to make the playoffs - you lay it all on the line because there are no guarantees in sports. Having said that, we have a lot of young guys in the rotation and in the lineup who are on the upswing of their careers. We are in good shape for the future.

gmt
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Barring a repeat of the 2007 season with the Phils and Mets, I don't see any reason to believe the Reds will play poorly enough to lose 7 games in the standings with a little over 2 weeks to play.

The goal right now should be to have either the best or second best record in the national league. Since the wildcard will come from the east or west, the best record team will host the wildcard unless that team's division also has the wildcard in it. So if the Reds are #1, they will have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, hosting the wildcard first. If they have the second best record, they will either host the wildcard in the first round or the "3rd best record" division winner. In that scenario, no home field is guaranteed in the second round. Look at the road record against the contenders and see how important it is to get home field as much as possible. Remember, the World Series is National League home field this year.

Next season is a different story. I don't count on anything until it happens with baseball teams. Last season the Cardinals had 91 wins with probably a worse pitching staff. They also didn't have Matt Holliday for an entire season. I don't accept that just because 2010 was a bad one for them that that will be the same in 2011. I look at 2010 as an anomaly for them rather than a trend. I see a much tighter race next season.

liminal
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Not worried at all about getting to the post season.

If the Reds go 7-8 from here on out, the Cards would still have to go 15-2 to tie.

I've come to terms with the fact that we'll probably get killed in the post season. With a few good moves though, I can see us being even more competitive next year.

Carin4Narron
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I hope they make the playoffs, I'll be happy with whatever happens after that.

However, one thing I really don't want is for them to be really embarrassed, and then all offseason all the national media will talk about what a fraud they were.

If they get swept, fine, as long as they play close good games. I just don't want them to play, let's say Philly, and get swept by a combined 35 runs.

So what if they get embarrassed. How is that a reflection of you or affect your life. Just enjoy the ride!

Girevik
09-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Won't you be just happy with them making it to the playoffs when nobody in their right mind never thought they could?

I never said anything bout being happy, just that I worry about them not doing well once they get there.

That said, if you asked me before the season if I'd take getting swept in the first round of the playoffs if I could be guaranteed they'd get there I'd have jumped on it. Assuming they actually get there, though, I'd at least like to see them be competitive and win a game or two (if not advance to the NLCS)

Captain13
09-17-2010, 02:16 PM
I never said anything bout being happy, just that I worry about them not doing well once they get there.

That said, if you asked me before the season if I'd take getting swept in the first round of the playoffs if I could be guaranteed they'd get there I'd have jumped on it. Assuming they actually get there, though, I'd at least like to see them be competitive and win a game or two (if not advance to the NLCS)

I agree. I try not to worry and enjoy the ride, but you are correct; once you make the playoffs the expectations change. It is only natural to keep wanting more, More, MORE!!! I want to party in Fountain Square. Then I want to repeat.

redsrolen
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
This is a great team, however we lack one or two great starting pitchers! One thing about baseball that I have always felt a little sad about is, you can have the best team in every area except pitching and it doesn't matter. I feel we can hold our own in fielding and hitting, however, our starting pitching can be had by most major league teams. It is going to require our very best pitching to have a chance.

I am sick and tired of people coming on here and dogging this team as if they are pond scum!!! If a pitcher has a bad night we get comments like this team is pathetic!! This team is not pathetic and I believe they will play up to their abilities!

One thing you acquire when you live 56 years , is wisdom if you listen along the way. People that berate people, have low self esteem and have to put others down to make themselves feel better. This team will do the best they can. I may be very sad if we lose, and even have bold opinions of why we lost, but I sure have enjoyed the ride so far!! While I have been rehabbing a very serious injury, this team has given me the strength to go to the gym and swim a half mile, smile when I think I can't deal with any more pain, and most of all given me something to look forward to!

Thank You REDLEGS!!!!!!!;)

AintlifeGrande
09-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Mark my words we will not win this division next year. St.L is pissed and is going to reload.

I aint marking none of your words.I guess you have not watched this team all year,and the bright future we have.Cards dominance of the Central is over.And I hope they keep their bonehead GM so he can do more of nothing.Pujols will be a free agent after next season,so they can ''reload''with several big money players,risking Pujols to ''reload''with another team.
I'm sorry,but I take offense with absolute statements like that.

09-17-2010, 05:14 PM
The Reds might not win the division next year, but they will win it this year, and they will be the team with the best shot at winning it next year.

I think the Astros have a better shot at winning the division next year than the Cards. The Cards either will be in a rebuilding mode, or should be.

They had serious problems competing this year with Pujols, Carptenter, Wainwright, Garcia, Jay and Franklin having above average years. Odds are that some if not all of those six will decline next season, and I don't see anyone else on that team having a better season next year than they had this year. Plus they have no one in the minors ready to be productive in the majors next season.

swaisuc
09-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Your playoff concerns once we clinch are fair although I happen to disagree.

I am not at all afraid of the Cards next year though because I refuse to believe you can win with that huge percentage tied into a few players. They're going to be looking at 65-70M between Carpenter, Pujols, Holliday and Lohse. Their team will be at least as top-heavy next year as it was this year. It is such a huge road-block to compiling a good roster I don't think they can overcome it.

skywalker
09-17-2010, 07:48 PM

That is what was said in 1990

Hustleman
09-17-2010, 08:44 PM
i'll admit, for a while i was worried the cards would catch us but i dont think they will anymore. since the last reds-cards series, both teams are 4-7. they've had a great chance to make up ground and havent.

as for getting swept, there is no way to predict it so there is no use worrying about it. we could be swept. we could do the sweeping. that's why they play the game and i'm happy we actually have meaningful games this late in the season

PeteRoseBelongs
09-17-2010, 10:25 PM
well once again we aren't playing real well. Down to the Stros 2 - 0 in the fifth. And the Cards are beating the hell out of the Padres

PeteRoseBelongs
09-17-2010, 10:27 PM
and Wandy Rodriguez is no hitting us. NICE

RedsLvr
09-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I could care less what happens for the rest of the regular season as long as we win another game and stay healthy.

gilpdawg
09-18-2010, 05:02 AM
I'd rather get the slump out of the way now. By the time the slump is over, boom, playoffs are here.

mckbearcat48
09-18-2010, 11:03 AM
If the Cardinals played all top teams it would be a worse situation than playing the Pirates. The Cardinals crappy play against bad teams is the reason the Reds are in a position to take the NL Central down.

09-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I'd rather get the slump out of the way now. By the time the slump is over, boom, playoffs are here.

Exactly. One reason for the offensive slump is that Dusty is trying to get everyone healthy and rested for the playoffs. The plan is to have the team firing on all cylinders by the last week of the season. The math is such that they can lose a few games between now and then and not worry.