PDA

View Full Version : What will this road trip produce?

brm7675
09-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Upon arrival back from this nine game road trip, what do you see the win/loss total being from this road trip?

DaytonFlyer
09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
4-5. They just aren't playing very well right now, and I see that continuing. But all we need are some combination of 10 wins or losses by the Cards with 15 games left for us and 17 for the Cards.

We'll get there, but I think it's gonna be tougher than we thought 2 weeks ago. The Padres are choking so bad they need a medic, and they've got 3 more in St. Louis over the weekend. Ugh.

brm7675
09-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Those saying we will go 6-3, I would be interested to know where you see those 6 wins coming? Personally I see us getting swept by Houston, taking 2 from the Brewers and 1 from SD, but that is it.

gmt
09-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice Bell Curve forming! Just playing close to .500 is enough to win the Central Division right now, although not confidence inspiring. It probably won't get any home field advantage in then playoffs (at least not until the World Series!)

Captain13
09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Those saying we will go 6-3, I would be interested to know where you see those 6 wins coming? Personally I see us getting swept by Houston, taking 2 from the Brewers and 1 from SD, but that is it.

I know the pitching matchups aren't great, but you really think we won't win one in Houston? Wow, I know we haven't been great lately, but this team has made it to where it is by beating teams like the Astros. BTW, I have them at 5-4...Two each in Hou and Mil and 1 in SD.

Hey Meat
09-17-2010, 12:06 PM
We have Wandy today. I went and watched Wandy shut us down last time out in Houston. Definitely don't see a w on the horizon in that one.

KYRedLeg
09-17-2010, 12:35 PM
BTW, I have them at 5-4...Two each in Hou and Mil and 1 in SD.

That's exactly the outcome I'm expecting as well. I see us taking the first two in Houston, but losing on Sunday.

brm7675
09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I know the pitching matchups aren't great, but you really think we won't win one in Houston? Wow, I know we haven't been great lately, but this team has made it to where it is by beating teams like the Astros. BTW, I have them at 5-4...Two each in Hou and Mil and 1 in SD.

Pitching is the key and lack of hitting. We coulnd't produce against poor pitching over the past 7 games at home and now we are in Houston who has some of the hottest pitchers around. We would have to see our pitching givup less then 2 runs per game to be in them and I just don't see that right now with a banged up Phillips, Bruce, Rolen, Cabrara.

New York Red
09-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I refuse to believe this team will have a losing road trip, despite our recent struggles. Houston has played pretty well for awhile now, but we handled them with Roy "Reds Killer" Oswalt this year, so we should be ok against them without him. No way we lose two against the Brewers. The Pads will have more to play for and thus will be more motivated than us. I think we'll go ... 2-1 @ Houston, 2-1 @ Milwaukee, and 1-2 @ San Diego ... for an overall 5-4 road trip.

brm7675
09-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I refuse to believe this team will have a losing road trip, despite our recent struggles. Houston has played pretty well for awhile now, but we handled them with Roy "Reds Killer" Oswalt this year, so we should be ok against them without him. No way we lose two against the Brewers. The Pads will have more to play for and thus will be more motivated than us. I think we'll go ... 2-1 @ Houston, 2-1 @ Milwaukee, and 1-2 @ San Diego ... for an overall 5-4 road trip.

how did we do on our last road trip? 1-6 i believe, followed that up with a sad 4-3 homestand and now we head into a 9 game road trip. Wally goes tonight for the Stros and he is hot right now and we are not, it will be an easy stros win tonight. Sorry but Stros take us for 3, Brewers for 1 and SD for 2 for a 3-6 road trip and that is if we get a break here or there.

Captain13
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
how did we do on our last road trip? 1-6 i believe, followed that up with a sad 4-3 homestand and now we head into a 9 game road trip. Wally goes tonight for the Stros and he is hot right now and we are not, it will be an easy stros win tonight. Sorry but Stros take us for 3, Brewers for 1 and SD for 2 for a 3-6 road trip and that is if we get a break here or there.

Love your optimism :rolleyes: I am confident this team will bounce back; it has all year, and has given me no reason to believe it won't do it again. A 7-2 trip wouldn't shock me, but I am sticking with 5-4.

Old NDN
09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Well, so far, I'm one of the negatives in the poll. With all the injuries, resting players, and underperforming lately, I can't see more than 2 wins. Houston is really playing well. But I think we may win one there. SD is playing for their playoff lives and we don't have an urgency to our game anymore. Sweep. One win in Milwaukee. FWIW, I hope I'm wrong.

New York Red
09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
how did we do on our last road trip? 1-6 i believe ...
Yes, our last road trip was bad. But that road trip was against the Cardinals, who owned us this year, and the Rockies, the hottest team in baseball. Not to mention, the Coors Field Curse (check our record over the past 20-25 games we've played there). So that road trip was unlikely to turn out well before it even started.

With the exception of that trip, the Reds have been pretty good on the road this year. The trip beginning tonight consists of two sub-.500 teams and a San Diego team that has completely self-destructed over the past three weeks. I think the Reds will take a similar mindset into this trip as they had when they went on the 10-game West Coast swing. And we know how that turned out.

bshall2105
09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
We have Wandy today. I went and watched Wandy shut us down last time out in Houston. Definitely don't see a w on the horizon in that one.

We have Cueto going tonight to counter Wandy. I think it will be a close game, but I never count us out when Cueto is on the mound.

brm7675
09-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes, our last road trip was bad. But that road trip was against the Cardinals, who owned us this year, and the Rockies, the hottest team in baseball. Not to mention, the Coors Field Curse (check our record over the past 20-25 games we've played there). So that road trip was unlikely to turn out well before it even started.

Owned us? If we are a good team we win at least 2 in St. Louis, the lousey Cubs just swept them in St. Louis. I would agree the Rockies are hot, but so are the Stros and the games are in houston. "Curse" your kidding right?

With the exception of that trip, the Reds have been pretty good on the road this year. The trip beginning tonight consists of two sub-.500 teams and a San Diego team that has completely self-destructed over the past three weeks. I think the Reds will take a similar mindset into this trip as they had when they went on the 10-game West Coast swing. And we know how that turned out.

They can have whatever mindset they want, they don't have the bodies right now. When 3 of your top 4 offensive weapons are either hurt or not even playing, it's tough to score runs which is what are problem is right now. Phillips/Rolen and Bruce are not 100% and I doubt all 3 will play each of the Stros series games. Without them in the lineup are chances of winning go down considerably.

brm7675
09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
We have Cueto going tonight to counter Wandy. I think it will be a close game, but I never count us out when Cueto is on the mound.

unless Cueto can keep the stros to 3 runs or less and can drive in a few himself we are hurting. Pitching is not our issue right now, Volquez pitched a very good game against the Dbacks, how did that game turn out?

gmt
09-17-2010, 04:07 PM
I don't believe the astros will win all three but 2 out of three I give a decent chance (so 1 - 2 for the Reds). Even in Milwaukee (IN MILWAUKEE) you can never feel comfortable with a lead in the late innings. I think 2 - 1 would be good. The Padres are crumbling a bit, but then so have the Reds of late. I don't see a sweep by either team, but I think there is a slight advantage with the home team and pitching that gives me the feeling the Padres will win the series, so 1 - 2 for the Reds.

That gives the 4 - 5 record I voted on. If they finish 5 - 4, I would rate that a success. Given that the cardinals still have 3 vs the Padres, 1 makeup at Florida, 3 at Pittsburgh and 3 at Wrigley (that's 10 games) I figure they will go 5 - 5 themselves. That's 9 games off the magic number if the Reds go as bad as 4 - 5 over the next 9 with 6 to play (7 for the Cardinals).

Worry creates tightness in play. Of course you don't want the team to stumble into the playoffs, but better to stumble in than stumble out.

New York Red
09-17-2010, 04:12 PM
unless Cueto can keep the stros to 3 runs or less and can drive in a few himself we are hurting. Pitching is not our issue right now, Volquez pitched a very good game against the Dbacks, how did that game turn out?
We've had several quality starts by our starting pitchers go to waste lately because the bullpen gave up the lead late. I agree the offense is sputtering, but we can't blame the offense for those games the bullpen gave away.

texasdave
09-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Last time the Reds were in Houston I went down and watched Cueto throw 8 shutout innings at the 'Stros. Maybe neither team scores tonight. :)

brm7675
09-17-2010, 04:18 PM
We've had several quality starts by our starting pitchers go to waste lately because the bullpen gave up the lead late. I agree the offense is sputtering, but we can't blame the offense for those games the bullpen gave away.

But in those games how many runs did we score? In the Pitts' game where the bullpen gave up 3 runs, we scored a total of like what 1?

New York Red
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
But in those games how many runs did we score? In the Pitts' game where the bullpen gave up 3 runs, we scored a total of like what 1?
Well, obviously we didn't score enough. But in my way of thinking, if you have the lead going to the 8th or 9th inning, your offense and starting pitcher did their jobs that day. Every win isn't going to be a slugfest.

New York Red
09-17-2010, 04:28 PM
"Curse" your kidding right?
Umm, only slightly. The Coors Field Curse is alive and growing. Just check our record there over the past 20 or 25 games we've played at Coors Field. I thought the Chavez Ravine curse was bad, but that was nothing. But at least we ended that one.

davereds24
09-17-2010, 04:36 PM
3-6

brm7675
09-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Well, obviously we didn't score enough. But in my way of thinking, if you have the lead going to the 8th or 9th inning, your offense and starting pitcher did their jobs that day. Every win isn't going to be a slugfest.

i don't consider scoring 4-5 runs as a great offensive explosion and i don't expect this team to win many games 1-0 either.

brm7675
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Well the majority picked 5-4 on this road trip, so to accomplish that the Reds will have to go 4-2 over the remaining 6 games...can they do that?

Jefferson24
09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
3-6 - just not playing very well right now, losing many close games. Padres will be tough they are needing wins in a bad way.

Fortunately the Reds only need 4 more victories to really lock up the central. St. Louis is not going to go 11 and 3 the rest of the way so 4 more wins will ice it. Just go out and win one game each remaining series and they have won the central. If they expect to play more than 3 playoff games they had better win more than 4 more to close out the regular season.

will5979
09-20-2010, 03:04 PM
3-6 - just not playing very well right now, losing many close games. Padres will be tough they are needing wins in a bad way.

I know what you mean, this should be the most exciting time of the year for us Reds fans but the team's poor performance is making anything but that. I hope we'll be singing a different tune by next weekend's home series vs. Mil. I can't help but to think of Reds team's of the past decade with the way they are playing right now. I'm just not at all excited to watch them and haven't watched an entire game since last Tuesday night, and that one sucked to watch.