PDA

View Full Version : Torre won’t be back as Dodgers manager

CTA513
09-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Just saw this on Yahoo:

Torre won’t be back as Dodgers manager

LOS ANGELES – Joe Torre, who led the Los Angeles Dodgers to consecutive appearances in the National League Championship Series before the team regressed this season, will not return as the club’s manager next season, according to a Dodgers source. It was unclear when Torre would make his announcement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlQfqTDtpC6NnxU4qll1Bng5nYcB?slug=ti-torre091710

WVRedsFan
09-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Dusty watch.

It will be interesting to see how he plays this and whether the Dodgers will up the ante. Should be fun.

Reds Freak
09-17-2010, 04:30 PM
MLB.com says Don Mattingly will be the replacement, according to a source...

Ghosts of 1990
09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
MLB.com says Don Mattingly will be the replacement, according to a source...

Phew.

I was about to type "the first domino falls".

LoganBuck
09-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Joe Torre for Reds 2011 Manager!

(Should Dusty Leave)

NJReds
09-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Isn't Torre from St. Louis? Maybe some musical chairs if Donny Baseball doesn't get the Dodgers job: Dusty to LA, Torre to St. Louis and ... well you know the rest. ;)

Reds4Life
09-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't be on Mattingly just yet. If Torre does leave, they will at least discuss the job with Dusty. And my guess is, Baker will seek them out to discuss it. Makes perfect sense for him to do so. At worst, it gives him leverage to force the Reds to up their offer, or he could end up with a job he really wants that is much closer to home.

marcshoe
09-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Isn't Torre from St. Louis? Maybe some musical chairs if Donny Baseball doesn't get the Dodgers job: Dusty to LA, Torre to St. Louis and ... well you know the rest. ;)

LaRussa to Belleview? :p:

Joseph
09-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Good luck to Dusty in LA.

Kidding of course. i wish him no luck if he leaves. :)

fearofpopvol1
09-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Torre's wife and her family are from Cincy...Torre did a speaking engagement at La Salle a few years back.

I would love to see Torre take over for the Reds.

KoryMac5
09-17-2010, 05:00 PM
WFAN is also reporting that Mattingly will be given his shot as Dodgers manager in 2011. I guess Walt and Cast just got some negotiating leverage.

redsmetz
09-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Torre's a Brooklyn native, per B-R.com

NJReds
09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Torre's a Brooklyn native, per B-R.com

Hmm. I remember when he was with the Yankees going on about St. Louis. Maybe he moved there during his playing days. Or maybe he just has family there. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about (most likely). :p:

KoryMac5
09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
With Manuel done with the Mets the Wilpon's might make a run at Torre depending on whether or not he has the desire to coach in NY again.

fearofpopvol1
09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Hmm. I remember when he was with the Yankees going on about St. Louis. Maybe he moved there during his playing days. Or maybe he just has family there. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about (most likely). :p:

He did play there for 5 years and he did manage there for 5 years...so he does have ties.

corkedbat
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Anything that doesn't leave the Reds holding the LaRussa bag is fine by me.

pedro
09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Dusty will stay IMO. I don't think the Dodgers would offer him as much money nor do I think that he'd want to walk into a situation where ownership was that messed up.

blumj
09-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Anything that doesn't leave the Reds holding the LaRussa bag is fine by me.
You don't want Torre, either, he has the LaRussa 17 pitching changes in an inning thing down, but with the bonus that it takes him 17 minutes just to walk out to the field to make each one of the changes.

Reds4Life
09-17-2010, 09:05 PM
You don't want Torre, either, he has the LaRussa 17 pitching changes in an inning thing down, but with the bonus that it takes him 17 minutes just to walk out to the field to make each one of the changes.

He's got the 17 world series rings to back it up to.

Or something like that. ;)

Cedric
09-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Please stay Dusty if it means no Torre.

edabbs44
09-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Torre also abuses the hell out of his bullpen. The O/U on Masset appearances next year would start at 87.5.

Tony Cloninger
09-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Mattingly has the job. Baker is not going there....so where else would he go. ATL?

The Voice of IH
09-18-2010, 12:07 AM
He's got the 17 world series rings to back it up to.

Or something like that. ;)

none of which was his doing ;)

blumj
09-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Torre also abuses the hell out of his bullpen. The O/U on Masset appearances next year would start at 87.5.

Proctored, as in Scott. Or, Quantrilled, as in Paul, Gordoned, as in Tom, Villoned, as in Ron, Sturtzed, as in Tanyon. Just more evidence that Mariano Rivera couldn't possibly be human, because, if he was, Torre would have burnt him out a decade ago.

redsmetz
09-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Of course, he played for the Cardinals for six seasons, had his MVP season with them. It was his three middle seasons, 1969-1974. He also managed the Cardinals from 1990-1995.

Topcat
09-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Dusty watch.

It will be interesting to see how he plays this and whether the Dodgers will up the ante. Should be fun.

:beerme: I pray for it to happen! This team wins in spite of him not because of him.

The Operator
09-19-2010, 06:33 AM
:beerme: I pray for it to happen! This team wins in spite of him not because of him.Be careful what you wish for, though. Dusty isn't perfect but things could be much worse.

GAC
09-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Be careful what you wish for, though. Dusty isn't perfect but things could be much worse.

Exactly. To claim that this team wins in spite of Baker is obviously ignoring the contributions and positives he has brought to this team's success this year IMO.

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Mattingly has the job. Baker is not going there....so where else would he go. ATL?

I think this makes it very likely that Dusty stays. Atlanta isn't California and I don't think being a successor to Bobby Cox is high on his bucket list

NJReds
09-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Of course, he played for the Cardinals for six seasons, had his MVP season with them. It was his three middle seasons, 1969-1974. He also managed the Cardinals from 1990-1995.

Torre came back to NY yesterday for the Steinbrenner tribute at Yankee Stadium. They were talking about his future on WFAN, and mentioned the Mets as a possibility, as well as the Cards. He met his wife in St. Louis, and I gather that she has a lot of family in that area.

BrooklynRedz
09-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Torre came back to NY yesterday for the Steinbrenner tribute at Yankee Stadium. They were talking about his future on WFAN, and mentioned the Mets as a possibility, as well as the Cards. He met his wife in St. Louis, and I gather that she has a lot of family in that area.

Incredibly long odds that Torre takes the Mets gig. That entire organization is one pile o' mess that won't easily be resolved with a new GM and front office.

Doubtful Torre ever manages again. Of course, Dodger fans would argue he retired during Spring Training and is only going through the motions of announcing it now after a six-month long nap.

NJReds
09-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Incredibly long odds that Torre takes the Mets gig. That entire organization is one pile o' mess that won't easily be resolved with a new GM and front office.

Agreed about the Mets. The host asked Torre about the job, and he said he'd be intrigued and hope for a phone call. The Mets won't pay him, and they'll probably end up giving the job to Wally Backman or someone like that.

RANDY IN INDY
09-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I think Joe Torre's skill set as a manager was a very good and unique fit with the Yankees. I'm not sure it is a match much anywhere else. I have always liked Joe Torre, both as a player and a manager. Nothing but a class act, but I think his time and effectiveness in the dugout has come and went. His legacy with the Bronx Bombers will make him a Hall of Famer for sure. I think he would be better off to retire.