PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Concerned?

Krusty
09-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Are you concerned with the way this team has been playing lately? IMO, this team hasn't won anything yet and very well could blow it if the Cardinals ever decide to get going.

Your opinions?

traderumor
09-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Yes, I'm concerned that the offense is stale and a lot of good starting pitching has been wasted. I'm hoping that this a short term slump. As far as the Cards catching us, five more games have gone off the schedule at a stalemate. The Reds are still in the driver's seat.

fearofpopvol1
09-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Not just yet, but getting close. If the Reds lost tonight and the Cards win, I will be concerned.

Despite what some have said previously, the rest of the road after this series is not all that easy for the Reds. 3 in San Diego, 6 with the brew crew (3 at home and 3 away) and then 3 more with the Hot Astros at home...it's not a cakewalk.

Spitball
09-18-2010, 04:17 PM
The offense has me very concerned. Even if they manage to get to the playoffs, I feel they will not have the pitching depth to offset the lack of hitting.

KronoRed
09-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Not really, the Cardinals are dead, the Reds will win the central, of course stumbling into the playoffs isn't the best plan but even at their best I don't think they were getting past the 1st round.

macro
09-18-2010, 05:01 PM
On this date in 1990, the Reds would lose the first of three straight games, a streak that would put them at 6-11 in their last 17 games. After the games of September 11, 1990, the Reds lead in the NL West was 7 games. Nine days later, on September 20, it was down to 3 1/2.

The final Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of the season (the season ended on Wednesday that year) saw them get swept by Padres, but they still managed to win the West by 5 games.

So there is a precedent for a team playing poorly in the final days of the season and having things work out okay in the postseason. In fact, I'd rather they not be on a roll right now, because in baseball, a team can't sustain a blazing hot pace for weeks on end. A long baseball season has an ebb and flow, and I'd rather the Reds hit their high tide once the postseason starts.

All that being said, yes, I'm getting a bit worried. I ain't gonna lie. http://elouai.com/images/yahoo/15.gif

LoganBuck
09-18-2010, 05:05 PM
If they lose again tonight, I will crack out the Slumpbusting thread, again. I will begin thinking of a new ritual.

Heather is not to contaminate it with links from "Glee".

toledodan
09-18-2010, 05:10 PM
yes i'm concerned but the reds are not alone in this. the padres have to be thinking what in the heck happened. it would be nice if they could take the last two from the cards. of course they are on a major losing streak at st. louis. the reds should win tonight but myers on the mound sunday may be a tough go.

kaldaniels
09-18-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't get it when people say the Reds are 6 games up but the Cards are only 5 behind in the loss column. Aren't the Reds up 7 in the win column? Is it just a glass half empty viewpoint?

RedsManRick
09-18-2010, 05:51 PM
My only concern is health. This team will make the playoffs and I don't believe in momentum. Just keep everybody healthy. Even if it means losing a few more games down the stretch.

Phhhl
09-18-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't get it when people say the Reds are 6 games up but the Cards are only 5 behind in the loss column. Aren't the Reds up 7 in the win column? Is it just a glass half empty viewpoint?

The reasoning is that those games are still unaccounted for and could potentially swing to their favor. There is nothing that can change about the "win" column.

VR
09-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Not concerned about winning the division, at all.

Greatly concerned about figuring out the correct playoff roster and lineup.

Heath
09-18-2010, 05:58 PM
This team is a year ahead of schedule. It has made it a very enjoyable summer into fall.

I am concerned more what happens this offseason.

kaldaniels
09-18-2010, 06:41 PM
The reasoning is that those games are still unaccounted for and could potentially swing to their favor. There is nothing that can change about the "win" column.

But the Red are 7 games up in the win column...and those wins are locked in. ???

fearofpopvol1
09-18-2010, 06:57 PM
My only concern is health. This team will make the playoffs and I don't believe in momentum. Just keep everybody healthy. Even if it means losing a few more games down the stretch.

I agree with this. I am especially concerned about Phillips. I really think something is still wrong with his wrist. I do think everyone else can/will be healthy (knock on wood) come playoff time barring any more unforeseen injuries.

muddie
09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
This team is a year ahead of schedule. It has made it a very enjoyable summer into fall.

Pretty much my mindset as well...

TheNext44
09-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Especially in baseball. Playing every day for six months, and having so many different guys contribute on a daily basis, makes momentum difficult to cultivate during a baseballs season. An even keel is necessary to survive the long season.

And momentum has played very little role on the playoffs. So many teams have limped into the playoffs and then won the World Series. The 1990 Reds and 2006 Cards are just two examples.

Ron Madden
09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
I believe momentum and even home field advantage are often over rated in the post season.

GADawg
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
not concerned about the division...very concerned about completely losing any home field advantage that the club might've had without this stretch.

you gotta figure that the Phils are going end up going in as the 1st seed and if the braves right the ship a little with the NL West teams beating each other up they're in the drivers seat for the WC. If things end up falling that way it'd be very important to end up as the 2nd seed so as not to go to Philly to begin with. If the wc comes from the west then you definitely want to be seeded higher than that division winner...wouldn't want the first couple of games to be out there.

sorry...just thinking out loud

Brutus
09-18-2010, 07:56 PM
This team will make the playoffs and I don't believe in momentum.

http://www.centerfieldgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Our-Of-Thin-Air.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSguiBGa8ki-umwHRYC5uRghGYtWvsaWoo9FhI2CC5RMry_J5E&t=1&usg=__RGm94L6iI9zQkcJ5ZtEv1Ri6eDU=

Ghosts of 1990
09-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Depends on what your end goal is. If you're thinking World Series title, I'd say there's little to no shot realistically. But if you're happy just getting the guys some postseason experience and coming into next year as division favorites, I think we're absolutely fine. We're going to make the playoffs. The Ludwick shot today was a deathblow, demoralizing beyond the standings.

I think beyond that we have looked very mediocre lately but we've had some injury problems. We haven't fielded our best lineup in a long while and the pitching staff has had some injury problems as well. Cordero has been a question mark more than ever lately.

I think you field your best lineup every night if possible, and worry about playing Willie Bloomquists of the world when we've clinched IMO. The Bruce injury really set us back, as it happened when this team and Bruce himself were firing on all cylinders. It was a bad blow and we lost 5 of 6

Ghosts of 1990
09-18-2010, 08:21 PM
not concerned about the division...very concerned about completely losing any home field advantage that the club might've had without this stretch.

you gotta figure that the Phils are going end up going in as the 1st seed and if the braves right the ship a little with the NL West teams beating each other up they're in the drivers seat for the WC. If things end up falling that way it'd be very important to end up as the 2nd seed so as not to go to Philly to begin with. If the wc comes from the west then you definitely want to be seeded higher than that division winner...wouldn't want the first couple of games to be out there.

sorry...just thinking out loud

My thought is; unless we get to play San Diego in the first round (assuming Atlanta and Philadelphia both get in) take your pick; we don't match up real well with San Francisco or Philadelphia. I think we'd beat the Padres in a best of five series. But I don't think we beat San Francisco or Philadelphia. At that point it doesn't much matter--although some would give us a shot to get by the Giants while almost no one would have us getting by the mighty Phillies. I think our only hope to beat the Phillies would be in a best of 7 long series and I think it would about go to distance at best for the Reds.

If we can't face the Padres I think we're really up against it assuming Atlanta is your wild card winner.

RBA
09-18-2010, 08:27 PM

I thought they were 10 years behind schedule.

GADawg
09-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Depends on what your end goal is. If you're thinking World Series title, I'd say there's little to no shot realistically. But if you're happy just getting the guys some postseason experience and coming into next year as division favorites, I think we're absolutely fine. We're going to make the playoffs. The Ludwick shot today was a deathblow, demoralizing beyond the standings.

I think beyond that we have looked very mediocre lately but we've had some injury problems. We haven't fielded our best lineup in a long while and the pitching staff has had some injury problems as well. Cordero has been a question mark more than ever lately.

I think you field your best lineup every night if possible, and worry about playing Willie Bloomquists of the world when we've clinched IMO. The Bruce injury really set us back, as it happened when this team and Bruce himself were firing on all cylinders. It was a bad blow and we lost 5 of 6

well if the "ghosts of 1990" haunt the rest of the playoff teams then anything can happen...right? The playoffs are about dominant pitching pretty much so the odds are against "us" but once you're in you got a chance! Volquez and Cueto CAN be as dominant as anyone if they show up.

redsfandan
09-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Ghosts of 1990
09-18-2010, 10:09 PM

Agree...which is why I'm happy to throw our names in the hat and see what happens. Everything from there forth is gravy to me.

macro
09-18-2010, 10:12 PM
I thought they were 10 years behind schedule.

Well, they're building for the opening of Great American Ballpark in 2003, so you kinda have a point. :laugh:

westofyou
09-18-2010, 10:21 PM

Reggie Sanders agrees, as does Jose Rijo,

kaldaniels
09-18-2010, 10:33 PM
I almost want to start up a thread to post this (I just found this out), and I haven't the foggiest idea where to put it, so here goes...

Are you all aware Falls City Beer is alive and well in the Peanut Gallery?

Tony Cloninger
09-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Why is FCB there instead of here?

And can someone clarify if Yonder can or cannot play LF at all? He has to ...they have to find a way to help him play there.

kaldaniels
09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Why is FCB there instead of here?

And can someone clarify if Yonder can or cannot play LF at all? He has to ...they have to find a way to help him play there.

He was given the ol' heave ho from RZ from what I have read.

corkedbat
09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Just stay ahead of that scrum in the West and avoid the Phils in the 1st round - that's all I'm worried about. Everything else takes care of itself.

Tony Cloninger
09-18-2010, 10:40 PM
He was given the ol' heave ho from RZ from what I have read.

Why? Was he photographed with Chris Carpentar and Tony laRussa?

Spitball
09-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Why? Was he photographed with Chris Carpentar and Tony laRussa?

It is a long story...or not:

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php/topic,1154.0.html

kaldaniels
09-18-2010, 10:46 PM
It is a long story...or not:

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php/topic,1154.0.html

Mad props to nate for getting a shout out in his opening salvo :thumbup:

(Seriously nate is one of the best guys on here)

Crosley68
09-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Mad props to nate for getting a shout out in his opening salvo :thumbup:

(Seriously nate is one of the best guys on here)

WOW......I am almost speechless after reading that thread all the way through.

Tony Cloninger
09-18-2010, 11:17 PM
They guy has a TO complex. I am right...you are wrong....even when I am clearly wrong but I will argue that I am right, so you must be wrong.
Hard to argue with that!

Tony Cloninger
09-18-2010, 11:53 PM
That poster...The Baumer. Man, that guy had me crying in tears with his posts. He was clearly being so sarcastic that I could not believe people were taking him seriously. I mean...I know HE who shall not be named....takes himself very seriously even if there is sarcasm and goading in his posts. But this Baumer kid......Are we not sure it was NOT Baghdad Bob posting?
I am still laughing and it feels so good.

Will M
09-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Bruce is back & is just a beast at this point. We have certainly seen the potential arriving in his last ~25 games.

Stubbs has an OPS+ of ~100 at this point. Pretty darn good for a rookie centerfielder.

Edmonds is back & had a good game tonight. Nix was activated off the DL.
This should mean no more Jonny vs a RHP.

We just need to get Phillips and Rolen healthy then deal with that pesky 9th inning problem & we are all set for the playoffs.

WebScorpion
09-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Why would anyone be concerned? If the Reds go 4-9 and the Cards go 10-4 for the remainder of the season, the Reds still win the division. If the Reds go 8-5, the Cards could go 14-0 and still lose. You should worry that you'll run out of things to worry about... :D

Captain Hook
09-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Why would anyone be concerned? If the Reds go 4-9 and the Cards go 10-4 for the remainder of the season, the Reds still win the division. If the Reds go 8-5, the Cards could go 14-0 and still lose. You should worry that you'll run out of things to worry about... :D

I'm worried about what the Reds playoff roster is going to look like.;)

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
WOW......I am almost speechless after reading that thread all the way through.

You read all 35 pages?

I hadn't noticed FCB's absence around here until someone brought it up.

So much for his prediction that the Reds would end up under .500.

The Peanut Gallery is not what it seems. I was banned from there years ago and I sure didn't call anyone any names. Don't believe their motto:

--outright name-calling, etc will not be tolerated, but generally anything goes--

Traditional values will be banned quicker than free speech in the USSR.

KronoRed
09-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Traditional values will be banned quicker than free speech in the USSR.

Not at all true.

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Not at all true.

That was my experience

Boss-Hog
09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Let's get this back on topic. If you would like to discuss users who are no longer here - voluntarily or involuntarily, that's your prerogative to do privately or over at the Peanut Gallery, but it doesn't belong within the baseball threads.

Far East
09-21-2010, 06:04 PM
...Edmonds is back & had a good game tonight. Nix was activated off the DL.This should mean no more Jonny vs a RHP...

Gomes is one of my favorite players, but if Edmonds is healthy, his superior glove and his 2010 line of .273 .339 .490 and .829 demand that he be given as much or more playing time as Dickerson would have gotten.

BTW, Jonny's current 2010 line is .264 .329 .433 and .762.

BTW, since the trade, Dickerson has gotten 48 AB, and Edmonds 28.

westofyou
09-21-2010, 06:13 PM
BTW, since the trade, Dickerson has gotten 48 AB, and Edmonds 28.

CD has 42 k's in 100 ab's this season.

ouch