GIDP
09-19-2010, 09:39 AM
WAR
Bruce 3.9
Rolen 4.4

Which one finishes 2nd in team in WAR.

Vottomatic
09-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Kind of interesting that Rolen had 17 HR's in the first half and only 2 so far in the 2nd half, and Bruce has had his power surge in the second half.

GIDP
09-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Yea now only if they can fix that silly issue where he keeps getting put 6th in the line up.

texasdave
09-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Yea now only if they can fix that silly issue where he keeps getting put 6th in the line up.

Texans hit 6th, dude. First Dunn and now Bruce.

GIDP
09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Dunn even hit 7th at times for Dusty. That BA was too low to hit higher in the order.

New York Red
09-19-2010, 11:03 AM
WAR
Bruce 3.9
Rolen 4.4

Which one finishes 2nd in team in WAR.
My apologies for my old school ignorance - but what is "WAR", and what would be considered the league average for that stat? :confused:

GIDP
09-19-2010, 11:13 AM
My apologies for my old school ignorance - but what is "WAR", and what would be considered the league average for that stat? :confused:

http://saberlibrary.com/misc/war/

Basically replacement level is Willie Bloomquist, below average bat, average D. Or Johnny Gomes, average bat, below average D. A team full of replacement level players would lose a lot of games.

Its also slightly adjusted for position.

New York Red
09-19-2010, 12:38 PM
From the link:

**Offensive players - Take wRAA and UZR (which, if you remember, are both in runs format) and add them together. Add in a positional adjustment, since some positions are tougher to play than others. And then convert the numbers so that they’re based not league average, but on replacement level (which again, is the value a team would lose if they had to replace that player with a minor leaguer or someone from the waiver wire). Convert the run value you have to wins (10 runs = 1 win) and voila, finished!
:eek:

Wow, I grew up in an era where the offensive stats were mainly BA, HR and RBI - with a little attention paid to doubles, triples, stolen bases, walks, etc. I don't know if I'll ever be able to convert to this new stuff. It's interesting to read though, and I appreciate you guys who post the numbers.

:beerme:

bshall2105
09-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Does anybody still want to trade Bruce? He was one of the least popular players in July, but he's actually had a great season. It's good to see him playing so well lately.

Hanover
09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
^^^
Nope. It's Brandon Phillips this week.

Jefferson24
09-20-2010, 02:55 PM
^^^
Nope. It's Brandon Phillips this week.

But what if he goes out and wins the gold glove, can you really trade a guy who just won another gold glove? I'm sure it's been done but do you actually see the Reds doing it?

GIDP
09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Never mind this thread, apparently Jay Bruce is now the only platooned player on the Reds.