PDA

View Full Version : .132/.203/.147

brm7675
09-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Why is this player playing let alone leading off? I mean really how can anyone justify playing this guy? At worse he should be hitting 8th or even 9th, but to continually put him out there and at leadoff shows the inability of our manager to grasp this game.:confused:

Hanover
09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Yep. He's an idiot. Has no idea what he is doing.:rolleyes:

Red in Atl
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Yep. He's an idiot. Has no idea what he is doing.:rolleyes:

I agree with your rolling eyes, but he does have a point here. If he's in for the defense, bat him 8th. He's really not helping things. And the rate these guys are going, they could very well blow this thing.

This is my lineup until they clinch or BP is healthy...

Bruce RF
Cabrera SS
Votto 1st
Rolen 3rd
Gomes/Edmunds LF
Hernandez/Hanigan C
Stubbs CF
BP 2nd

Game One of the Playoffs:

Bruce RF
BP 2nd
Votto 1st
Rolen 3rd
Gomes/Edmunds LF
Hernandez/Hanigan* C
Stubbs CF
Cabrera SS

Hanigan bats 8th when starting and the other two slide up...

Krawhitham
09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
He is clearly hurt rest him so he can help in the playoffs. Instead of doing the Rusty leads him off everyday so he can drag the team down and try to lose a playoff spot

GIDP
09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Dusty Baker doesnt care what you think.

cw0802
09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
To his credit, dusty is loyal manager and sticks with his guys but that is also the bain of his career. He sticks with guys during prolonged slumps entirely too long. Phillips should man up and take a seat. he has to see that he's hurting the team more than he's helping the team. Take a seat and get better.

malcontent
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
To his credit, dusty is loyal manager and sticks with his guys but that is also the bain of his career. He sticks with guys during prolonged slumps entirely too long. Phillips should man up and take a seat. he has to see that he's hurting the team more than he's helping the team. Take a seat and get better.
He actually did state (a couple weeks ago) that the hand was still bothering him then. Baker, for reasons known only to him, totally disregarded BP's comment, and continued to lead him off every game....with the same (predictably) dismal results.

This is C. Patterson and T-Virus redux. It seems to me to be an EGO issue.

One would think that Baker has to see he's killing the offense, and he's certainly not doing Phillips any favor here. His batting average is plummenting.

Of course, Pick sabotaged the O every game he led off with T-Virus last year, so who knows?

brm7675
09-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Dusty Baker doesnt think.

had to fix that for you...;)

kfm
09-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Dusty Baker doesnt care what you think.

No manager, player, coach, gm should care what fans think. If I am an owner or fan, I want that person to do what they think is the right thing to do, who cares what fans think. One day some fans feel one way and later that same day they feel another way. If I had a coach or manager making decisions based upon what fans think, I would wonder, right before firing them, why do I need to pay you millions of dollars if I am getting nothing more than the opinions of fans running my ballclub.

GIDP
09-20-2010, 07:17 PM
No manager, player, coach, gm should care what fans think. If I am an owner or fan, I want that person to do what they think is the right thing to do, who cares what fans think. One day some fans feel one way and later that same day they feel another way. If I had a coach or manager making decisions based upon what fans think, I would wonder, right before firing them, why do I need to pay you millions of dollars if I am getting nothing more than the opinions of fans running my ballclub.

Thats fine I'm just quoting Dusty Baker's thoughts on his employers.

RedsFanInBama
09-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Thats fine I'm just quoting Dusty Baker's thoughts on his employers.

Well, they did hire him to manage the team.

GIDP
09-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Well, they did hire him to manage the team.

I'm talking about the Fans. Its not wise to crap on the fans like Baker did.

RedsFanInBama
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm talking about the Fans. Its not wise to crap on the fans like Baker did.
I don't think Dusty's the greatest manager, but I didn't have a problem with him venting. I also don't think he was crapping on "the fans." I think he was just sounding off on the people who think he has been nothing but a negative for this team. Those people do exist, which is hard to believe for a team that is enjoying its best season since the mid-90s.

Vottomatic
09-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Batting Phillips first during this huge slump is one of the dumbest things I've seen Dusty do in 3 years.

In past years, he didn't have much of a roster to work with.

Cabrera, who I usually don't take up for, is hot. Why not bat him first and put Valaika at 2nd base and 2nd in the order?

This continues to be beyond ridiculous sticking with BP.

GIDP
09-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Not sticking Bruce or Stubbs up at the top, and moving Phillips down to 7th or so is such a head scratcher.

But Dusty does tend to let guys pound their struggles into the ground before he moves people in the order. He did it with stubbs to start the year.

arkimadee
09-20-2010, 11:28 PM
to be fair, he has knocked the crap out of the ball the last 2 or 3 games with nothing to show for it.. i think once we clinch he will get some days off

GIDP
09-20-2010, 11:42 PM
to be fair, he has knocked the crap out of the ball the last 2 or 3 games with nothing to show for it.. i think once we clinch he will get some days off

I understand when people say that, but arent we ignoring the 8 other weakly hit balls for the sake of 2 that decent liners? I understand why we want to see the positives, but is it possible that the 1 or 2 hard hit balls were the flukes?

RedsFanInBama
09-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Perhaps Dusty realizes that for us to advance in the postseason we're going to need Brandon playing well. We can afford to let him work through this.

I'm not against Valaika playing, but I do think Phillips playing well is important to us if we are to have any offensive success in the postseason. Of course maybe what Brandon really needs is rest. I could see that.

CrosleyField
09-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Perhaps Dusty realizes that for us to advance in the postseason we're going to need Brandon playing well. We can afford to let him work through this.

I'm not against Valaika playing, but I do think Phillips playing well is important to us if we are to have any offensive success in the postseason. Of course maybe what Brandon really needs is rest. I could see that.

Ditto

DocRed
09-21-2010, 09:06 AM
The problem is BP has stated that his hand is still swollen and painful. He needs to rest a few games (not every game mind you). Continuing to play everyday will prolong his injury recovery time. It's not rocket science here.

BTW do you guys know that BP and OCab now have the same batting average? LOL. Ocab's prolonged time off sure doesn't seem to have affected HIM much.....he is batting .353 with an OPS of .946 since missing almost a month. Funny how that works huh?

arkimadee
09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I understand when people say that, but arent we ignoring the 8 other weakly hit balls for the sake of 2 that decent liners? I understand why we want to see the positives, but is it possible that the 1 or 2 hard hit balls were the flukes?

I mean you could look At it that way and you might be right but personally I think he has looked better at the plate the last few games. That being said, I would be in favor of swapping him with Stubbs for a game or two and see what does to his batting average

GIDP
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I mean you could look At it that way and you might be right but personally I think he has looked better at the plate the last few games. That being said, I would be in favor of swapping him with Stubbs for a game or two and see what does to his batting average

Yea I totally understand why people could look at it that way. It's just I remember a few days ago Dusty said he was going to give Brandon a night off but he got a hard hit ball in his last AB. 4 or 5 games later he still isnt hitting and is grounding out basically nonstop.

Let him hit fine, but it wont do hurt if hes doing it 7th or 8th. Dont look now but Stubbs OBP is .320 for the season... Phillips on the other hand is trending down and is at .329.