PDA

View Full Version : Was Jim Day being snarky after the postgame interview with Joey Votto tonight?

macro
09-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Just now finishing up the game on DVR, and something caught my attention during Jim Day's post game interview with Joey Votto. Jim mentioned that the Reds had lost two of three in Houston, and that "road trip losing can snowball".

Votto replied "I don't agree with you about losing snowballing on the road" and went on to elaborate. His replies to Day's follow-up questions about being players being tired and like, almost seemed dismissive, as well.

Once the interview was complete, Day said "We'll never say ever again 'losing snowballs on the road'. You don't want to make Joey Votto mad."

I wasn't sure how to take that. I know Day has an unorthodox broadcasting style, but it wasn't easy to tell if it was an attempt at humor or a broadcaster who was offended at Votto's rebuttal.

Did you see it? How did you take it?

corkedbat
09-21-2010, 01:38 AM
Just now finishing up the game on DVR, and something caught my attention during Jim Day's post game interview with Joey Votto. Jim mentioned that the Reds had lost two of three in Houston, and that "road trip losing can snowball".

Votto replied "I don't agree with you about losing snowballing on the road" and went on to elaborate. His replies to Day's follow-up questions about being players being tired and like, almost seemed dismissive, as well.

Once the interview was complete, Day said "We'll never say ever again 'losing snowballs on the road'. You don't want to make Joey Votto mad."

I wasn't sure how to take that. I know Day has an unorthodox broadcasting style, but it wasn't easy to tell if it was an attempt at humor or a broadcaster who was offended at Votto's rebuttal.

Did you see it? How did you take it?

The announcers were talking about how the Umpire did something to rile Joey (not sure what) right before his go-ahead homer. As the ball was going out one of them said, "and you don't want to make Joey Votto mad."

I think Day's comment was referrencing that.

reds44
09-21-2010, 01:39 AM
All of this is from Jim Day's twitter:

I love real answers! Loved it! RT @morinap: Votto basically just told @jimdaytv "child, please". I like it.

He did body slam me after! RT @jamiewhited: @JimDayTV Joey Votto looked like he was gonna body slam you when you asked that question!

He then piledrived me RT @jamiewhited: @JimDayTV Joey Votto looked like he was gonna body slam you when you asked that question!

I tapped out once he applied figure 4! RT @jamiewhited: @JimDayTV Joey Votto looked like he was gonna body slam you

Mutual respect, standup guy RT @mayoungkin: @JimDayTV Did it poilitely too. I don't think Votto showed you up at all. He must respect you.

He tells everyone! he's the man! Love real answers if u can take it! RT @JackieABC36: That interview was hysterical Joey told you buddy!

2nite was a perfect example of why Votto is a special player. Most guys would have answered the question, "yes losing can snowball on road..

Votto says, "I don't agree, it's our job to win series regardless" every at bat is important to him, every situation, winning is our job!

So even if losing can indeed snowball on the road (it can, seen it a thousand times)...he doesn't believe it nor accepts it..special player!

Wooooh nelly! It wasnt good enough for that, all he did was politely say "I disagree" RT @wvutopper: it needs to be on YOUTUBE @JimDayTV

http://twitter.com/JimDayTV

Pretty much explains Day's thoughts on the situation.

sabometrics
09-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Jim Day doesn't have the guts.

Ron Madden
09-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Honest question and honest answer, there's nothing at all wrong with either.

Tempest in a teapot in my humble opinion.

Roy Tucker
09-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Jim Day is a doofus but also mildly amusing. I thought all of his interactions with Votto were good natured.

Joey is a serious guy. His intensity shows.

The post-game thing that I thought was downright mean was Thom's repeated calling out of Chris Welch's "come from behind" comment. Give it a rest, Thom.

cumberlandreds
09-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Very honest answer by Votto. I like that. He's a no non-sense type of person. He goes after each pitch and AB as personal thing. That has to rub off on the other players after seeing him be so successful. You can't blame Day for asking the question. He's been around a lot losing in Cincinnati and seen some pretty bad road trips that can get out of hand in a hurry.

camisadelgolf
09-21-2010, 09:00 AM
I took it as Jim Day being an annoying moron. He's an embarrassment to everything he takes part in.

lollipopcurve
09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I like Day. He's offbeat, which is so un-Cincinnati. And he's intelligent enough to understand Votto, another guy who doesn't routinely resort to cliches.

Ghosts of 1990
09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
I think a good example of how poor of a job Jim Day does at his job (being professional and such) would be to ask Reds players what they thought of him. I could see them at first saying "who?" and then saying "oh, that guy...." type of deal. As a friend said to me, Day is the kind of guy who you expect to be doing a comedy routine at a retirement home, not interviewing big time professional athletes.

His dental humor, his awkwardness, he takes it way too far. If you enjoy his antics my hat is off to you; but I don't think it fits with professional athletes and I know that he wasn't offered to come back to the Blue Jackets here in Columbus for some of those reasons.

camisadelgolf
09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
I like his style of humor--it's just that I think he's really bad at it.

westofyou
09-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Jim Day is a sideline reporter, he plays with guys, he's not Walter Cronkite, nor does he need the players to feel that he is when they have to talk to him.

Much to do about nothing.

bucksfan
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
My view is that JD is kind of a goofball, but he was not and would not be "snarky". I agree his style kind be irritating at times and other times rather comically enjoyable. Either way, he's "on our side" so I don't mind it terribly. This instance I think he simply got an honest answer to an honest question, and both handled it just fine. Anything beyond that is reading way way too much into it IMO.

lollipopcurve
09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I like his style of humor--it's just that I think he's really bad at it.

Probably true -- which might be why I like him.

Sea Ray
09-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Much to do about nothing.

I agree. All that happened here is that Votto said he didn't agree with him. End of story

cincrazy
09-21-2010, 10:16 AM
I took it as Jim Day being an annoying moron. He's an embarrassment to everything he takes part in.

I tend to disagree here. I see your point, he can be annoying at times, but I think he's really good at what he does. And if you've ever had the pleasure of meeting him in person, he's an absolute, 100% class act, especially with younger people in his line of work.

Cooper
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I like Jim Day. He's funny in an ironic sort of way. He doesn't take things way serious and I like that. He's not cruel or offensive.

The post game show is not the State of the Union.

I can just hear the director screamming "cut...cut..., get Jim Day out of there, he can't handle interviewing professional atheletes!!! I don't think Joey even knows him!!!"

cincrazy
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I think a good example of how poor of a job Jim Day does at his job (being professional and such) would be to ask Reds players what they thought of him. I could see them at first saying "who?" and then saying "oh, that guy...." type of deal. As a friend said to me, Day is the kind of guy who you expect to be doing a comedy routine at a retirement home, not interviewing big time professional athletes.

His dental humor, his awkwardness, he takes it way too far. If you enjoy his antics my hat is off to you; but I don't think it fits with professional athletes and I know that he wasn't offered to come back to the Blue Jackets here in Columbus for some of those reasons.

He wasn't offered to come back to the Blue Jackets because that franchise is a joke (no offense, if you're a diehard fan). He criticized them on the air a few times and the Jackets couldn't handle it, so they did away with him. I think the players respect and like Day, if they didn't there's no way on earth the guy would have lasted this long.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Jim is a good guy.

I like what he has going on with the post-game set thing for home games (especially when we win).

I think he does a pretty good job as well.

paulrichjr
09-21-2010, 10:43 AM
I think he was joking the whole time. And I agree with the above post about the after we win post game thing he does (at home). It makes me want to go there and be apart of the action.

I love Votto's answer and it makes me think that this team (while young) will not fold real easy in the postseason. I think Rolen and Votto together have put this team on their backs and their attitudes toward both wins and losses has really had an impact on everyone.

camisadelgolf
09-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Jim Day seems like a great personality, and I'm sure he's heckuva nice guy in person, but he's miscast in his role. I enjoy his interactions with fans, and I love that he's lighthearted, but when it comes to interviewing athletes and providing any kind of analysis of the game, he falls way short imho.

reds44
09-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Jim Day seems like a great personality, and I'm sure he's heckuva nice guy in person, but he's miscast in his role. I enjoy his interactions with fans, and I love that he's lighthearted, but when it comes to interviewing athletes and providing any kind of analysis of the game, he falls way short imho.
Name a sideline reporter who provides and analysis of any game.

I prefer him over any of the sterotypical blonde sideline reporters that most stations present.

RANDY IN INDY
09-21-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't really enjoy Jim Day's schtick. I tolerate it, but I don't think it adds much to the broadcast. I wouldn't miss him if they let him go. Very goofy and clownish. Somewhat annoying at times. Piecoro is better, in my opinion.

membengal
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah, Jeff Piecoro is great when he is on the telecast. Really like him.

Heath
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, Jeff Piecoro is great when he is on the telecast. Really like him.

Pic is underrated as a color guy with Screamin' Tom Prince on UK football games. He does a super job there, IMO.

Ghosts of 1990
09-21-2010, 02:48 PM
He wasn't offered to come back to the Blue Jackets because that franchise is a joke (no offense, if you're a diehard fan). He criticized them on the air a few times and the Jackets couldn't handle it, so they did away with him. I think the players respect and like Day, if they didn't there's no way on earth the guy would have lasted this long.

Blue Jackets are the Cleveland Browns of Ice Hockey, no doubt about it.

I guess I just prefer Jeff Piecoro's style in the same role; just a personal thing.

westofyou
09-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Blue Jackets are the Cleveland Browns of Ice Hockey, no doubt about it.

You have to have a legacy to have that title, the Islanders are more like the Browns franchise.

The Blue Jackets the Clippers of the NHL.

camisadelgolf
09-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't like Pic in his current role either. He's much better at football.

Unassisted
09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
If you read Jim Day's tweets, you'll have a better sense of his personality. IMO, he's trying to deliver a dose of Marty's tell-it-like-it-is candor while constrained to what's supposed to be a light-hearted, sideline reporter role. To me, it feels consultant-driven or management-driven, like someone higher-up is trying to make him be something he is not.

Joseph
09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
To each their own. I can not stand Piecoro. He was bad at radio, he is bad interviewing the players, he's bad on air period. That anyone outside his family likes him is proof enough that variety makes the world go round.

Jim Day on the other hand is sort of like George, I think some folks who dislike him would miss him when he's gone. I like the job he does personally.

traderumor
09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
He called Miguel Cairo "Orlando Cabrera" twice before he corrected himself last night :)

traderumor
09-22-2010, 09:32 AM
The Phillies have a TV color guy they call "Wheels." Anyone know who that is?

BrooklynRedz
09-22-2010, 09:57 AM
The Phillies have a TV color guy they call "Wheels." Anyone know who that is?

Chris Wheeler

traderumor
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Chris Wheeler

Wonder if George Grande gave him his nickname ;)

Chip R
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Wonder if George Grande gave him his nickname ;)

If George had given him the nickname it would be "Wheely". ;)

TheNext44
09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
You guys can tell the difference between Day and Picaro?

OnBaseMachine
09-22-2010, 11:50 AM

One has a tan, the other is sickly white. ;)

I don't mind Day or Pic.

SirFelixCat
09-22-2010, 12:26 PM
FWIW, we have met Jim on a couple of occassions and also have sat and watched a Reds game w/ him when there was no FSN broadcast that day...dude definitely is not "George Grande", heh. I mean that in a good way though. He's quite real and gets as frustrated and excited as most Reds fans...he grew up a Reds fan. Dude is a pretty cool cat to hang with and he has to be very 'PC' for FSN, so take that fwiw.

Roy Tucker
09-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Day is the goofy one. Piecoro is the one that acts like he's above the job.

Cooper
09-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I like Day. There was a pre-game show where he had on this fan for the Q and A segment. The fan was RATT fan and Day asked him about it and then sung some of the words to their hit song. For a pre-game segment that's mostly filler anyway....i thought it was hilarious (btw, the fan being interviewed was interesting and had the oddest sense of humor...he sung and then got stone faced, but it was on purpose...it was good impromptu tv).

cincyinco
09-25-2010, 04:58 AM
FWIW, we have met Jim on a couple of occassions and also have sat and watched a Reds game w/ him when there was no FSN broadcast that day...dude definitely is not "George Grande", heh. I mean that in a good way though. He's quite real and gets as frustrated and excited as most Reds fans...he grew up a Reds fan. Dude is a pretty cool cat to hang with and he has to be very 'PC' for FSN, so take that fwiw.

:thumbup:

Sitting with Jim and watching Chapman was really cool. Jim was really cool to sit, watch, and talk the game with.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-25-2010, 08:31 AM
My uncle went to HS with Day at Westerville South (I think Day graduated in '85 or '86). He's said that Jim was a real laid back guy and well liked by everyone.

And most importantly, a huge Reds and Buckeye fan.:)