PDA

View Full Version : Cordero and the question of the day.

Cooper
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Should Hanigan catch CoCo on a regular basis?

I've looked at the numbers and after watching last nights game -it just keeps bothering me that when CoCo pitches to Hanigan he seems to do a much better job.

I looked at the lifetime splits in the hopes of seeing a bigger sample size: Hanigan has caught 78 innings and his ERA with Hannigan behind the plate is 2.10. His K/BB ratio is 2.33. K/9 inn pitched is 9.00.

When pitching to Hernandez, Coco's ERA is 4.76 (in 47 innings). His K/BB is 1.22. His K/9 inn pitched is 6.5.

What I'm not clear about is how much BaBIP plays into the numbers: Coco with Hanigan catching has a Babip of is .274 and Ramon's is .323.

I'm going to try to normalize these figures and see what we get (i'm hoping my math is correct): if my math is correct (and i'm not near enough good at math anymore to even make this kind of post, but here goes...). Hanigan's normalized OPS would be about .631. Ramon's normalized OPS would be about .658. As you can see there's not a lot of difference. Hanigan's adjusted ERA (with a a normalized BaBIP of .300) would be about 2.26 ERA and Ramon's adjusted normalized ERA would be about 4.40.

Imho, there's something signifigant going on, but is it enough to make a change and have Hanigan catch CoCo everytime he pitches. I'm not sure -it's possible that the sample size is waaaay too small. It's possible that Hanigan has been the catcher when CoCo has faced the 7,8,9 hitters.

One last thought: there have been 23 catchers who have caught CoCo over his career. If you take the 12 guys who have caught him most and look at their numbers what you see is this:

Ramon's CERA is 9 out of 12. Ramon's K/BB rate is 11 out of 12. His K/9inn rate is 11 out of 12.

Hanigan's CERA is 1 out of 12. Hanigan's K/BB is 5 out of 12. His K/9inn rate is 6 out of 12.

Maybe it's not enough to make a change....but i'd sure think about it.

edabbs44
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
It would be really difficult to remove Ramon in the 9th and put Hanigan in. If Cordero blows it (possibility) and Hanigan gets injured, there might be a problem.

Captain Hook
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I believe that since the start of the 09 season Hanigan proves to get the best out of the Reds pitchers when compared to Ramon.I'm not sure where to find such stats but I've seen some of the numbers posted here.

I have a hard time understanding how a different catcher affects how a pitcher throws the baseball.I know the catchers defense can affect things.I also hear people talk about how a catcher calls a game can have an impact.As far as that goes I would think that both catchers would have the same game plan and basically call the same game as dictated by management.

It's very possible that catchers can affect how the pitcher preforms but is very difficult to judge just how much influence there really is.I'd guess the pitcher who's performance is question would be the biggest factor here.Who know what goes on in these guys heads.

westofyou
09-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Seems a tad micro managing, plus a waste of a catcher, the size of today's BP's take away the opportunity to explore this in the real world.

Griffey012
09-21-2010, 03:20 PM
It would be really difficult to remove Ramon in the 9th and put Hanigan in. If Cordero blows it (possibility) and Hanigan gets injured, there might be a problem.

Well we have the luxury of 3 catchers right now. So we could do it for the remainder of the regular season in hopes of improving our chances for home-field in the first round. And more importantly not playing the Phils.

edabbs44
09-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Well we have the luxury of 3 catchers right now. So we could do it for the remainder of the regular season in hopes of improving our chances for home-field in the first round. And more importantly not playing the Phils.

Sure, but I guess there is more to weigh than just that. Like if there is really any worth to the split and how it would or could affect Hernandez.

westofyou
09-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Sure, but I guess there is more to weigh than just that. Like if there is really any worth to the split and how it would or could affect Hernandez.

Plus with 11 games left is it really time to try experiments?

Sounds like a lot of trouble to get to a point that introduces noise to the data, not resolution.